Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
its on the DT. Cant access it though

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its non specific
Its the same article rothfield was sooking about gould in

"Players like Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan are on really good money but are under contract to the Bulldogs until the end of 2023."

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a Buzz "the drunk" Rothschild article:

Phil Gould knows better than most about winning NRL premierships.
Yet roster management is not one of his stronger points. Ask Penrith Panthers.

The Panthers couldn’t win a premiership until Ivan Cleary and Brian Fletcher carefully dismantled the team Gus built and offloaded the likes of Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Waqa Blake, Tyrone Peachey, James Maloney, Trent Merrin, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, James Tamou and Matt Moylan before their contracts were up.

Now all the focus is on Gus’ multi-million dollar rebuild at the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Phil Gould doesn’t have a good track record of roster management.

Phil Gould doesn’t have a good track record of roster management.

This is obviously no five-year plan.

The Dogs want a quick fix which is why they have signed so many big names and especially big boppers — Paul Vaughan, Viliame Kikau and Tevita Pangai Jr to join the likes of Luke Thompson and Jack Hetherington in a heavyweight pack of forwards.

But there’s one thing missing: a decent spine.

Far be it for your columnist to be tipping to Gus on winning premierships but you don’t get to pick up Norm and Arthur without outstanding players wearing jerseys nine, seven, six and one.

Let’s look at the spines of the last three premiership-winnings sides:

Panthers 2021: 9 Api Koroisau, 7 Nathan Cleary, 6 Jarome Luai, 1 Dylan Edwards.

Storm 2020: 9 Cameron Smith, 7 Jahrome Hughes, Cameron Munster, 1 Ryan Papenhuyzen.

Roosters 2019: 9 Jake Friend, 7 Cooper Cronk, 6 Luke Keary 1 James Tedesco.

Now the Bulldogs spine in 2022: 9 Jeremy Marshall-King, 7 Kyle Flanagan, 6 Matt Burton 1 Matt Dufty.

I rest my case, your honour.

Phil Gould is rebuilding the Bulldogs. Picture: 7News

Phil Gould is rebuilding the Bulldogs. Picture: 7News
Gus and coach Trent Barrett know this and it’s why so many Bulldogs players are nervously watching this develop from the sidelines.

Like with the Panthers, there will have to be huge roster shuffling and many casualties.

Already high-priced winger/centre Nick Cotric is being shopped around to rival clubs, including the Parramatta Eels.

English front-rower Thompson has been offered to the Wests Tigers.

Players like Corey Allan and Kyle Flanagan are on really good money but are under contract to the Bulldogs until the end of 2023.

So where does the money come from to sign Reed Mahoney from the Parramatta Eels. Or a premiership winning halfback and fullback, with respect to Flanagan and Dufty.

Spinal trap
Bulldogs spine 2022
9 Jeremy Marshall-King
7 Kyle Flanagan
6 Matt Burton
1 Matt Dufty
PREMIERSHIP SPINES
Panthers 2021

9 Api Koroisau
7 Nathan Cleary
6 Jarome Luai
1 Dylan Edwards
Storm 2020
9 Cameron Smith
7 Jahrome Hughes
6 Cam Munster
1 Ryan Papenhuyzen
Roosters 2019
9 Jake Friend
7 Cooper Cronk
6 Luke Keary
1 James Tedesco

The halfback position at Belmore will be most interesting.

Apparently Flanagan’s contract is heavily back-loaded and he’ll be earning $500,000 in 2023.

There’s also talk of Gus planning to turn Jake Averillo into a Jahrome Hughes-type of player. Good luck with that.

There is no question the Bulldogs will climb off the bottom of the ladder next year.

More Coverage
‘Mad not to take it’: Cleary backs booed KikauWayne who? Proof Souths legacy is in safe handsKeebra kid gives glimpse of bright Broncos No.9 future
They’ve got Burton, Brent Naden and Josh Addo-Carr to add class, speed and strike power.

There’s no question this club is going places but there will be some carnage before a premiership. You can absolutely guarantee that.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What do you call shit regurgitated? which is what that is nothing new or groundbreaking, i got it on my phone too via google

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as i don't believe averillo will ever be as good as hughes, I think the "good luck" remark is extremely disrespectful. Hughes bounced around the league for a few years before he landed at the storm. His first season there wasn't dominant, though he definitely showed huge potential. I think if you compared the two players at the age jake is now, Jake is probably in front. I'd love him to end up even 3/4 The player Hughes now is. If he can, then he has a promising future.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan Cleary is a myth... got to a GF with the Warriors in 2011 when the club was stacked and had actually made the GF in all three grades... then missed the finals from then on... bravo... was at Penrith initially then sacked... went to the Tigers and signed Gods of the arena such as Matulino, Packer and Josh Reynolds on big money and then broke his contract to return to Penrith brimming with local talent, pushed Gus out, bombed last year's GF, and did his best to bomb this year's success by getting out-coached by Bennett in week one of the finals, barely beating the ever flaccid Eels, beat the Storm after they were reduced to 15, and then the Latrell-less Rabbits in the GF

but now he is being treated like a supercoach... the Steven Bradbury of the NRL

seriously, imagine the Panthers had signed Wayne Bennett with all the great talent at Penrith over the last 3-4 years as Gus had planned? 3 premierships won... easy

EDIT: my bad

Last edited:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan Cleary is a myth... got to a GF with the Warriors in 2011 when the club was stacked and had actually made the GF in all three grades... then missed the finals from then on... bravo... was at Penrith initially then sacked... went to the Tigers and signed Gods of the arena such as Matulino, Packer and Josh Reynolds on big money and then broke his contract to return to Penrith brimming with local talent, pushed Gus out, bombed last year's GF, and did his best to bomb this year's success by getting out-coached by Bennett in week one of the finals, barely beating the ever flaccid Eels, beat the Storm after they were reduced to 15, and then the Latrell-less Rabbits in the GF

but now he is being treated like a supercoach... the Steven Bradbury of the NRL

seriously, imagine the Panthers had signed Wayne Bennett with all the great talent at Penrith over the last 3-4 years as Gus had planned? 3 premierships won... easy

as for that boofhead Fletcher, really?!

LOL it's a different Brian Fletcher mate.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I'm all for taking the money grabbing turd of a thing called Corey Allen!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
As much as i don't believe averillo will ever be as good as hughes, I think the "good luck" remark is extremely disrespectful. Hughes bounced around the league for a few years before he landed at the storm. His first season there wasn't dominant, though he definitely showed huge potential. I think if you compared the two players at the age jake is now, Jake is probably in front. I'd love him to end up even 3/4 The player Hughes now is. If he can, then he has a promising future.
Hughes came through the NYC era with that all out and attack and no defence bs. He always looked to be a dangerous ball runner and you can defenitely draw some comparisons between Jake and him at the same age but you're right the way Buzz put it was stupid.

Hughes is originally from the roosters, was let go and then signed with the Titans and debuted at 18. Played 1 game in 3 years, moved to the cowboys and played 1 more. First year at Storm he played 4 games, next year he played 11 as a fill in before taking over at fullback the following year and we know the rest from there.

So Hughes played 17 games in his first 6 seasons and was never anything more than depth at that stage, he also had 2 years or proper development at the best club in the NRL training/playing alongside some of the best players in Smith, Cronk and Slater before even being considered a starter. Jake on the other hand has played 34 games in his first two seasons and was thrown into the most important position in arguably the worst team in the NRL era with little experience and support. It's just a ridiculous comparison, Buzz probably doesn't even remember Hughes playing at other clubs lol.