$1m salary cap crisis forces Canterbury Bulldogs to put entire NRL squad up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
THE ENTIRE Bulldogs NRL squad has been put on the open market with a $1 million salary cap crisis forcing the club to put a “For Sale’’ sign on every contracted player.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned Bulldogs chairman Ray Dibb and Chief Executive Officer Raylene Castle have been personally calling rivals clubs and player agents in a desperate bid to off-load contracted players.

Josh Morris and Brett Morris, Aiden Tolman, James Graham, Moses Mbye are not the only players to have been told that they are free to break their Bulldogs deals with the club to consider releasing any player with a contract.

“They are all on the market,’’ said a leading player manager.

“It is not just the guys that have been mentioned. No one has been told they won’t be at the club next year but they are all aware that they are free to explore options elsewhere.’’

Dogs officials have even been shopping around Mbye without informing him or his manager or getting their consent.

The Brisbane-born halfback is on a four-year, $3 million dollar deal at Canterbury, which doesn’t expire until the end of the 2020 season has been offered to multiple rival clubs.

It’s understood Mbye’s manager Simon Mammino has approached Bulldogs officials about shopping around his client and they denied it.

Already $1 million dollars over next year’s proposed salary cap figure of $9.2 million, the Bulldogs will be forced to consider releasing any player capable of attracting a fine saving offer from a rival club.

That means even the likes of Josh Jackson and David Klemmer could end up at another club next year.

And the uncertainty over the future of the entire club has contributed to the Bulldogs remarkable second half of the season collapse.

“It is not that we are not trying to win,’’ a Bulldogs player said.

“The boys are all desperate to win and putting in everything. But that uncertainty does affect us. No one has been told that we are not wanted but we read the stories and hear about it. And that makes you try harder if anything and that can make things go wrong.’’

The Bulldogs have had little interest from rival clubs with few showing interest in the unprecedented August shopping list.

It is understood out of favour forward Eastwood has held discussion with the Panthers about a switch next year in a move that would see the Bulldogs payout most of his $700,000 a year deal.

Under fire coach Des Hasler denied the contract speculation had contributed to the team’s horror run before his side were thumped by South Sydney.

“The players are very professional and they understand what it’s about,’’ Hasler said.

“I don’t think (the uncertainty) creates any paranoia.’’

The Bulldogs two big name recruits for season 2018 are not expected to be affected by the salary cap situation.

Both Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran expect to be at Belmore at the end of the year.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a Garage sale....pick up a bargain for a 10th of the price.
Looks like we will have our reserve grade squad playing NRL next year....
Oh well, as long as the coach goes with the team.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If Klemmer Jacko rfm Danny f or Montoya are released I'll end my membership. The fact they can't spell names and have diff figures and don't mention the 9.5 makes me think it's poor journo writing

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Heads need to roll if this happens.
Dib, Hasler and Castle should hand their resignations in IMMEDIATELY!!!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If Klemmer Jacko rfm Danny f or Montoya are released I'll end my membership. The fact they can't spell names and have diff figures and don't mention the 9.5 makes me think it's poor journo writing
Those 4 are the only young potential we have.

If we lose them fucking hell

Pitchforks at belmore

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fucking HATE you Dib you prick for what you have done to MY club.
Yes, Hasler needs to go
Yes, good Castle is going
Yes, we now need to shred players
But DIB, the buck STARTS AND STOPS with you.
Fall in your sword you joke and get out of MY club before our club is forced to fold!!!

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is fucking disgraceful this whole farce. Our board needs to go if any of this is true. How do you go and sign two so so players for big money and then put the rest of the squad up for sale?? Pathetic

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"Mbye has been shopped around all year"

"Bulldogs have denied this"

"All players are on the open market as of now"

"The Bulldogs could be forced to put some players on the open market"

What an incoherent mess of an article. Who wrote this rubbish?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
so if the article is true

we can not only buy any decent players for next couple of years but also we can lose players like Jackson /klemmer/ RFM/ Montoya.

and on top we will be paying part of their wages while they play for other clubs.

Shoot all the basturds , if that cant be done then shoot me ffs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't sign Foran and Woods, it's really fucking simple. Gets us in a good position to make major signings for the 2019 season instead of fucking our cap for years while paying players to play for other clubs.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't sign Foran and Woods, it's really fucking simple. Gets us in a good position to make major signings for the 2019 season instead of fucking our cap for years while paying players to play for other clubs.

exactly, as if signing woods and foran will get us a premiership

it doesnt even guarantee a top 8 position with Des incharge.

the most smart thing to do right now is build for 2019.

2018 is already fucked!

Status
Not open for further replies.