1980 Reserve Grade Grand Final

Brothers boy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gday , after a copy of the 1980 reserve grade grand final, berries v eels, the best game of footie i have ever seen live . The berries were very much outsiders and won in extra time. Willing to pay good coin for a decent copy. Geoff Connell was coach and Mal Creevey captain. They were a young side and up against Artie Beetson who was captain of the eels . The first time the berries won two comps on grand final day . Thanks.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gday , after a copy of the 1980 reserve grade grand final, berries v eels, the best game of footie i have ever seen live . The berries were very much outsiders and won in extra time. Willing to pay good coin for a decent copy. Geoff Connell was coach and Mal Creevey captain. They were a young side and up against Artie Beetson who was captain of the eels . The first time the berries won two comps on grand final day . Thanks.
Almost impossible to get a copy of that game and almost no info on it
It was a great comeback and definitely gave the firsts a lift
Probably the best day I ever had at the footy and my first GF

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost impossible to get a copy of that game and almost no info on it
It was a great comeback and definitely gave the firsts a lift
Probably the best day I ever had at the footy and my first GF
I'm pretty sure our 2 bench players for first grade weren't used at all that day, so missed out winning with the reserves and only warmed the bench for firsts. Imagine winning a GF without making any subs these days. Mal Creevey was a great player for someone who pretty much had a career in the reserves. I vaguely recall the game being on TV but I don't know if the stations keep those tapes or give access. ABC or Ch7 had it in those days?

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Was at the game. Slept overnight at the SCG entrance with mates. Gates opened early morning. The main game started at 3.00pm. Jon English played that day, he was a traditional favourite at GF day. A real class act. The reserve grade game was a corker, a great lead into the first grade game. I remember a kid Allan Geelan? Having a sensational game, he did not kick on with his career. The first grade game was a classic with the iconic Steve gearing try. I miss the afternoon grand finals

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Neil baker had a great game that day

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was there :grinning: :grinning::grinning:
The second best feeling on that day was beating Beetson's slimy eels
By the way, we were Bulldogs then :grinning:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was at the game. Slept overnight at the SCG entrance with mates. Gates opened early morning. The main game started at 3.00pm. Jon English played that day, he was a traditional favourite at GF day. A real class act. The reserve grade game was a corker, a great lead into the first grade game. I remember a kid Allan Geelan? Having a sensational game, he did not kick on with his career. The first grade game was a classic with the iconic Steve gearing try. I miss the afternoon grand finals
Alan Geelan played a few fg games for the Dogs then i think went to Newton - had a few discipline issues - junior club was Riverwood ?

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
... there was one last twist for Glossop’s men as Canterbury’s reserve grade team beat Parramatta in extra time to secure their title.

With the overtime leaving only five minutes between games, Glossop quietly instructed his charges to “do everything you need to do and go and get dressed really quickly”.

“But we were ecstatic that all our clubmates had won, which gave us a real high, and were all waiting for Ted Glossop to deliver his big speech - and he never said anything.

“We were all ready when the tap on the door came and he just turned to everybody and said: ‘Well, you’ve seen what your reserve grade did. Go out and enjoy yourselves’.

“And that’s what we did.”

BEST DAY EVER!

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
... and Lee Pomfret and Dave Moffett missed out on playing in either game as they were the First Grade subs not used.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was a teenager on the first train to Central, on the way I meet a Dragqueen fan on his way to work, being at a such young age he asked me where I was going to, when I told him he said I was mad :tearsofjoy:
I walked up to the SCG and to my surprise there was thousand of partying fans so I joined in, the mayhem started when the gates didn't open on time, the crowd got restless as food and drink bottles were thrown everywhere it become a suffocating wave of humans, luckily I found a milk crate that I used as a helmet but it didn't save me from the flying raw eggs :tearsofjoy:
My Greatest day as a Bulldogs fan started when some of the crowd smashed the gates open for the fans to enter :tearsofjoy:
The rest is history :grinning: