Status
Not open for further replies.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I said it before & I'll say it again-

I love what Josh done for us when he was with us & I think we got the best of Josh when he was here.
In saying that, taking him back now would totally be a step in the wrong direction - although it hurt when he left it was the right time to part company when we did.
Unfortunately for Josh he has been very unlucky with injuries since he has left and with his age he is too big a risk.

The equation is almost as simple as saying - take Josh back at the expense of Wakeham & Lewis for example, cause that's roughly what it might cost.

Young talent is the way forward - short term pain for long term gain.
I would gladly swap him for Lewis anyday of the week no questions asked

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
NO THANK YOU..

It’s time for a new era, time to move on..!!!
For first time in long time will have to disagree. Reynolds would be perfect for our rebuild and help our youngsters with his efforts, tenacity and bulldog spirit which i believe is missing atm in this club.

In saying that, no way on earth would i pay big $$$ for him. If tigers want to foot half the bill then happy to have him.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I luv the "we've moved on" comments. We are coming second last.
Yes we are, but bringing back a broken Reynolds on big $$$ (even with Tigers paying a big chunk of it) isn't going to change that.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned but reported at the time that Dib offered him 2 years at 500k a yr, certainly can't knock him for his alan bond offer. He's had his time with us and way past his best (Marley would say he never had a best) chronic injuries etc. Hopefully we'll have that type of energetic player with better skills down the track, maybe Dwz will develop into that, he's only 23 I think

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We offered Jacob 400k a year last year and he turned it down.
Serious!?! Knocked back that kinda coin?....we dodged a Matutia? with that one too (wouldn't mind him if healtby but at that price...wow)

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He is past it.
Seems to be injured a fair bit these days also...
ESL would be perfect for him.
Look at how Blake Austin is killing it over there...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one is more disappointed in Josh Reynolds’ contribution to the Wests Tigers than the man himself.

However, speaking for the first time since being told he is free to find a new club, Reynolds admits he understands the Tigers’ decision to show him the door.

"In a weird way I knew it was coming," Reynolds told NRL.com when asked about his conversation with coach Michael Maguire.

"But to actually hear it from Madge’s mouth was pretty tough. More to the fact because I just haven’t been able to prove myself at this club. I know a lot of people will be frustrated with the input I have had at this club, and rightly so, but there’s no one more frustrated than myself.

"This club gave me an opportunity to set up my life post footy with the deal they gave me, and all I wanted to do was repay them with consistent footy and help build a winning culture like the club I had been at previously. Unfortunately it just hasn’t panned out that way."

As revealed by NRL.com on Wednesday night, the Tigers have granted Reynolds permission to negotiate with rival clubs after club legend Benji Marshall indicated he would likely play on for another season.

Reynolds still has two-and-a-bit years to run on his contract with the Tigers and has every right to remain at the club on a lucrative deal.

However he’s indicated he will help free up salary cap space for the club and look for a new home in 2020.

The Bulldogs have struggled in the halves since his departure at the end of 2017, going through several playmakers under Dean Pay.

Reynolds’s energy and commitment is just what the Bulldogs need, especially as they look rebuild their roster.

The 30-year-old’s love for his old club hasn’t wavered and he would love nothing more than to return to Belmore, but understands the club still has Kieran Foran, Jack Cogger, Brandon Wakeham and Lachlan Lewis on the books.

"Canterbury will always be home, regardless of which jersey I’m wearing," he said

"They did so much for me when I was a junior, and I’ll never forget that. The reality is, I never wanted to leave in the first place. You saw how emotional I was when I left.

"One of the proudest moments of my career was hearing 'Reynolds' being chanted by thousands of fans at Belmore. You never forget those moments. I grew up in the area, my mum still lives there and I drive past there every morning. It’s a place I’ll always hold close to my heart.

"I’m not going to lie, in a perfect world I get to finish my career where it all started because I’ve seen how much it means to Robbie [Farah] and Benji and they are having the time of their lives. But there’s also a part of me that’s a realist, and I know that if I want to play in the NRL again, I might have to wear another jersey."

Reynolds has been dogged by injury during his stint at the Tigers, limited to just nine games in two seasons.

He’s also found himself in the Canterbury Cup ranks behind Marshall, but the former NSW Origin series winner has tried to see the positives in every situation.

"I’m not going to lie, there are times when you question why you have to play reserve grade," he said.

"But when I go home and sit down and think about it, I realise there’s no shame in playing second fiddle to Benji Marshall – a guy who will go down as one of the greatest five-eighths to ever play the game.

"As a rugby league fan it’s great to see him back where he belongs, and unfortunately I’m the one who had to make way for that to happen.

"Am I angry? No. Am I frustrated? No. Do I still feel like I have a lot more to give in my NRL career, yes. If anything this is the hungriest I have ever been to prove to no one but myself that I’ve still got what it takes."

Reynolds has nothing but admiration for the Tigers. He hasn’t kicked stones despite his demotion to the second-tier competition and was willing to bide his time trying to get back in the NRL.

However he realises it’s in the club’s best interest – and his own – for him to try and move on.

"I never once asked to leave the club, because I signed a deal and I owed it to them to see that out as loyalty means the world to me. But if the club feels it’s in their best interest for me to move on, then who am I just to stay here for the wrong reasons.

"It’s well documented that I’m on a decent contract, but that hasn’t given me the happiness that I want.

"What I want is to be happy because I’m playing regular NRL and contributing the way I still believe I can. Ever since I’ve been a kid I’ve looked forward to the weekend to be able to run out on to the field and have fun with my mates and that hasn’t changed. Nine games in two years, that’s killed me."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/18/sad-to-leave-tigers-reynolds-open-to-bulldogs-homecoming/

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
If we could bring him home and have Tigers pay majority of his contract why not? We've paid out players to leave for far too long and could get one back in our favour.

It doesn't mean he would assured a first grade spot but he would be handy to have around even as a backup.

He is a true bulldog who would die for this club and could inspire others with his love for the Dogs. Surely that's worth something.

I'd have him in the trenches with me anyday.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If maloney goes to France like several media outlets are reporting, maybe Ivan will take a punt on him seeing he obviously rates him.

His days as a bulldog definitely should be done and dusted

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Short term deal on piss money then sure why not.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fucking hell they're going push this hard. He can come for 150k and play reserves or at most off the bench for us, but fuck anything more. We need class and composure through the spine, not more inconsistent BS.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fucking hell they're going push this hard. He can come for 150k and play reserves or at most off the bench for us, but fuck anything more. We need class and composure through the spine, not more inconsistent BS.
I really used to like the bloke, one of the few that did. Saying that I agree exactly with what you say here mate, 14 at best and we pay Sweet F all for him why not.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would gladly swap him for Lewis anyday of the week no questions asked
Me too on the same money that Lewis is currently on, but reality says his price would mean giving up at least 2 decent young players if not more & in my opinion not worth it.

Remember Reynolds is on at least $800k - Tigers will pay some, but not all.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no no no no no. If he is open to $75k a year deal then fine

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think signing Reynolds again should be part of our rebuild. That’s not going forward it’s going backwards. He loves the dogs but Reynolds coming back is not our fix in the halves as we all remember he was also part of the problem their. If he wants to come back he can play Reggie’s on a small contract and still have loyalty for the dogs. I do admire his love for the dogs .

Status
Not open for further replies.