Status
Not open for further replies.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have struggled in the halves since his departure at the end of 2017, going through several playmakers under Dean Pay.

They Fucken struggled with him too.
We struggled in the halves when we lost Hodkinson. Reynolds and Hodkinson complemented each other almost perfectly. You'll see a similar thing, but most likely better, with Cleary and Luai at the Panthers when Maloney goes to the Super League. I don't think you can play Reynolds alongside Foran, Reynolds would have to play Hooker (50-60 minutes) or Utility.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our penalty counts and brain explosions are high enough without getting reynolds back

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one is more disappointed in Josh Reynolds’ contribution to the Wests Tigers than the man himself.

However, speaking for the first time since being told he is free to find a new club, Reynolds admits he understands the Tigers’ decision to show him the door.

"In a weird way I knew it was coming," Reynolds told NRL.com when asked about his conversation with coach Michael Maguire.

"But to actually hear it from Madge’s mouth was pretty tough. More to the fact because I just haven’t been able to prove myself at this club. I know a lot of people will be frustrated with the input I have had at this club, and rightly so, but there’s no one more frustrated than myself.

"This club gave me an opportunity to set up my life post footy with the deal they gave me, and all I wanted to do was repay them with consistent footy and help build a winning culture like the club I had been at previously. Unfortunately it just hasn’t panned out that way."

As revealed by NRL.com on Wednesday night, the Tigers have granted Reynolds permission to negotiate with rival clubs after club legend Benji Marshall indicated he would likely play on for another season.

Reynolds still has two-and-a-bit years to run on his contract with the Tigers and has every right to remain at the club on a lucrative deal.

However he’s indicated he will help free up salary cap space for the club and look for a new home in 2020.

The Bulldogs have struggled in the halves since his departure at the end of 2017, going through several playmakers under Dean Pay.

Reynolds’s energy and commitment is just what the Bulldogs need, especially as they look rebuild their roster.

The 30-year-old’s love for his old club hasn’t wavered and he would love nothing more than to return to Belmore, but understands the club still has Kieran Foran, Jack Cogger, Brandon Wakeham and Lachlan Lewis on the books.

"Canterbury will always be home, regardless of which jersey I’m wearing," he said

"They did so much for me when I was a junior, and I’ll never forget that. The reality is, I never wanted to leave in the first place. You saw how emotional I was when I left.

"One of the proudest moments of my career was hearing 'Reynolds' being chanted by thousands of fans at Belmore. You never forget those moments. I grew up in the area, my mum still lives there and I drive past there every morning. It’s a place I’ll always hold close to my heart.

"I’m not going to lie, in a perfect world I get to finish my career where it all started because I’ve seen how much it means to Robbie [Farah] and Benji and they are having the time of their lives. But there’s also a part of me that’s a realist, and I know that if I want to play in the NRL again, I might have to wear another jersey."

Reynolds has been dogged by injury during his stint at the Tigers, limited to just nine games in two seasons.

He’s also found himself in the Canterbury Cup ranks behind Marshall, but the former NSW Origin series winner has tried to see the positives in every situation.

"I’m not going to lie, there are times when you question why you have to play reserve grade," he said.

"But when I go home and sit down and think about it, I realise there’s no shame in playing second fiddle to Benji Marshall – a guy who will go down as one of the greatest five-eighths to ever play the game.

"As a rugby league fan it’s great to see him back where he belongs, and unfortunately I’m the one who had to make way for that to happen.

"Am I angry? No. Am I frustrated? No. Do I still feel like I have a lot more to give in my NRL career, yes. If anything this is the hungriest I have ever been to prove to no one but myself that I’ve still got what it takes."

Reynolds has nothing but admiration for the Tigers. He hasn’t kicked stones despite his demotion to the second-tier competition and was willing to bide his time trying to get back in the NRL.

However he realises it’s in the club’s best interest – and his own – for him to try and move on.

"I never once asked to leave the club, because I signed a deal and I owed it to them to see that out as loyalty means the world to me. But if the club feels it’s in their best interest for me to move on, then who am I just to stay here for the wrong reasons.

"It’s well documented that I’m on a decent contract, but that hasn’t given me the happiness that I want.

"What I want is to be happy because I’m playing regular NRL and contributing the way I still believe I can. Ever since I’ve been a kid I’ve looked forward to the weekend to be able to run out on to the field and have fun with my mates and that hasn’t changed. Nine games in two years, that’s killed me."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/18/sad-to-leave-tigers-reynolds-open-to-bulldogs-homecoming/
"all I wanted to do was repay them with consistent footy and help build a winning culture like the club I had been at previously". What club was that, Josh? Doesn't sound like the Bulldogs - a winning culture?

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
I was open to winning 100 million last night in power ball but that didn't happen just like this won't, Time to move on.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...e79ddbba70f2b297930?__twitter_impression=true

Josh Reynolds is out of favour at the Wests Tigers — and was immediately linked with a move back to the Bulldogs.

So much so that with over two years left on his contract he has been told he can look for work elsewhere.

The pivot has struggled with injury since moving to the Tigers from the Bulldogs in 2018 and is now on the lookout for a new home.

Josh Reynolds is out of favour at the Wests Tigers — and was immediately linked with a move back to the Bulldogs.

So much so that with over two years left on his contract he has been told he can look for work elsewhere.

The pivot has struggled with injury since moving to the Tigers from the Bulldogs in 2018 and is now on the lookout for a new home.

Currently playing in reserve grade, 30-year-old Reynolds spoke this week about going back to the Bulldogs and finishing his career with the club.

“Canterbury will always be home, regardless of which jersey I’m wearing,” Reynolds told NRL.com.

“They did so much for me when I was a junior, and I’ll never forget that.

The reality is, I never wanted to leave in the first place. You saw how emotional I was when I left.

“One of the proudest moments of my career was hearing ‘Reynolds’ being chanted by thousands of fans at Belmore. You never forget those moments.”

So could he reunite with the Dogs next year? Not if Dean Pay has anything to do with it.

Speaking after the Dogs’ loss to the Broncos, Pay was surprised at the suggestion Reynolds might return to Canterbury and seemed to shoot the speculation down.

“That’s the first I’ve heard of it, that he’s coming back,” Pay said.

“So, we’ll have to address that one as it comes along.”

Pay might have been quick to silence the whispers. But again, this is rugby league. So it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility that Reynolds rejoins the Bulldogs in 2020.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
At last night's press conference, Pay said he hadn't heard anything about Reynolds wanting to come back. So, who is telling porkies - Fox or Pay? My money's on the Murdoch hacks.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It won’t happen, it would be career suicide for anyone at the club if this eventuated.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love Josh as a person and appreciate the passion and loyalty he has for the club but moving forward it wouldn't be wise to bring him back, even if at a discount.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
and if we did, where would he play?

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the bulldogs cannot take reynolds back at any cost, hes dead wood not sound and day to day proposition, and would not be seen as an asset but more a liability with all his on going injuries

while he claim to bleed bulldogs blood i wouldn't but him with monopoly money

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What for?
We have Foran, Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham and unless we get Reynolds cheap for the hell of it he's not the future at Belmore.
The irony is he would of played last night.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First good thing Pay has done all year is shoot that down.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Short term deal on piss money then sure why not.
It takes up a Top 30 spot and a retrograde move. We need players of the future taking the Top 30 spots not sympathy picks.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think it's the best signing but rumours are true. I think having him would be good for the team morale but if I was to choose Lewis or Reynolds I would choose Lewis based on age and will last longer on the field. Looks like he's back next year except we won't be paying much. I thinks it's less than half what's he's on dogs will be paying.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You say this like we give a fuck lol
Here here ..!!!! Although I loved joshy and he was a true bulldog, I just don’t think it’s wise, yes he loves the club, maybe a diff role around the club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't think it's the best signing but rumours are true. I think having him would be good for the team morale but if I was to choose Lewis or Reynolds I would choose Lewis based on age and will last longer on the field. Looks like he's back next year except we won't be paying much. I thinks it's less than half what's he's on dogs will be paying.
That would mean its between $300K-$400K we would be paying and that's way too much.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are ppl fuckin crazy?? I'd rather throw 300k at that Sivo that plays wing for Parra.
If it’s true I will lose all confidence in the club being able to use the up coming cap money wisely. They are spending $300k for a feel good fairytale!

Malla

Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't happen unless its a 200k deal or something.
He's passed it. His body is done. He won't be able to string a full season in for the rest of his career. If I was him I would be looking to get a few years out in England and hang the boots up.

Status
Not open for further replies.