Timeframe of Success

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are not an elite club. Our salary cap is a joke, we had a wooden spoon roster on paper yet were some how just under the cap, that is Parramatta level incompetence. I hope Anderson and Pay can turn this around and quickly.

Roosters and Melbourne are the two elite clubs in the competition now, year in year out consistently challenging for top 4. Sharks tried the sombrero method but have signed a lot of average players to maintain their success - still made the top 4 though.

We don't have a devine right to win as Bulldogs but I want to see this club challenge for top 4 regularly. Passionate fan base, wealthy leagues club, we have all the ingredients for success yet our recruitment and retention has been some of the worst you will see in the past 10 years. We have not made the top 4 since 2012 which is very concerning for a club of our size.

It pains me to say it but we are miles off the top. We have to assemble a sombrero roster if we want to be at the top again or secure top 4 finishes to give ourselves a chance.

Last edited:

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are not an elite club. Our salary cap is a joke, we had a wooden spoon roster on paper yet were some how just under the cap, that is Parramatta level incompetence. I hope Anderson and Pay can turn this around and quickly.

Roosters and Melbourne are the two elite clubs in the competition now, year in year out consistently challenging for top 4. Sharks tried the sombrero method but have signed a lot of average players to maintain their success - still made the top 4 though.

We don't have a devine right to win as Bulldogs but I want to see this club challenge for top 4 regularly. Passionate fan base, wealthy leagues club, we have all the ingredients for success yet our recruitment and retention has been some of the worst you will see in the past 10 years. We have not made the top 4 since 2012 which is very concerning for a club of our size.

It pains me to say it but we are miles off the top. We have to assemble a sombrero roster if we want to be at the top again or secure top 4 finishes to give ourselves a chance.
Agree 100%, however we have some of the best young talent in our junior ranks and we also now have Mark Hughes back in charge of recruitment who was responsible for the roster at Souths 2014 premiership & the current roster at the Panthers.
We are at least 2 seasons away from being seriously competitive. We need to invest in our coaching staff to assist Pay as the current lot in my opinion aren’t up to standard.

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
this is an interesting thread and a very relevant one with the lack of success in recent years.

if we go backwards in 2019 i wouldnt support the club giving pay another contract.

the club took a gamble giving a rookie coach a gig (kudos to the board for that), but if it fails the board need to take the appropriate action and find a new coach.

my feeling though is pay will have his contract extended regardless of results.

the board also need to help the coach out with recruitment and tpas as the strength of roster and great recruitment like the roosters is what makes a big difference.

i dont think we have anywhere near the talent or game breakers in attack to make the finals. thats why i would make a judgment on pay on how much we improve.

i would be excited to have bennett as coach in 2020, regardless of pay. bennet usually gets his squads up into the finals and thereabouts and attracts great players wherever he goes.

this is a professional sport with big money involved and big supporter bases. dean pay is a rookie coach. so its fair imo that the spotlight should be on him closely in 2019.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about making the finals until we stop paying ex players at other clubs. Maybe a couple of more years then we can get back into the market.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long should our fans be patient and give coach Pay to make the finals?

Taking the blue and white sunnies off few outsiders rate us any chance of finals next year, so assuming we dont make the finals in 2019, would 2020 be the final year of patience without finals, or should we be ok with waiting until 2021/2022?

Most of us arent used to long periods without making finals, the last time we didnt make finals 2 years straight was 2010/2011 under KMoore. Before that it was back to the start of the very start of the 90s with Bullfrog still around & her daughter Lynne and Anderson coaching.

Currently where on a 2 year run with no finals and outsiders think were looking at a 3rd year straight.

have to also consider the footy club board have said they wont make any major player signings until 2020 for 2021.

And then its time for the footy club elections back in Feb 2021 to decide on the best direction forward.
If there is improvement then I support an extension. Need to be realistic in the circumstances. We’re in a heavy weight title with one hand tied behind our back.

Bennett is only effective when he has money to play with. In our circumstances he would be nothing more than an old dictator.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay has been great so far considering he has been handicapped for 2018/19. It could be unfair not to see him with money to spend on the team he wants in 2020.

Having said that, we need to see continuing improvement of his coaching in 2019. Coming last or even bottom 4 next year would not be good.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only conversation we should be having is How are we going to win the 2019 premiership...
I do not believe in a 2 or 5 or 10 years plan This is only an excuse for failure !
Remember Raelene remember Gould ???
The club the team and the fans should always go into the the season with the attitude...WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE PREMIERSHIP...Any other sought is a negative thought !!!

We have played grand finales and won premierships with a lot less rosters
My question...Is the board buying time till the next election like others before them ?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finishing in the top 8 is only halfway up the ladder there is no reason we cant get in the 8 ,we are nowhere near shaking the comp up so 8th spot would be ok .we wont have the skill but the motivation will be there .
By 2020 we should be a bit stronger going for a top 6 21/22 if all is done right be in a position to be a threat . Pay needs another 2 full seasons .if we haven't gone foward by then we need a new coach and plan

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People have put great expectations on the club. People need to realise we need to crawl before we can walk.
The club was in an almighty mess under the previous regime. The turmoil the previous administration caused had a negative impact on the playing group.
That swamp has now been drained.
Some players were paid massive overs and didnt perform.
The club had little alternative to move on those players. This has happened.
This has allowed the club to recruit new promising players in the correct price bracket. The recruiting process is now in good hands.
The players have expressed their desire to play under Dean Pay. He has their support. Everything is now in place for a good future.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
It took the Rooters three years from shit to Premiers but you start every season with your eyes on the prize, optimism.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Missing the finals sucks, and i'm tired of fucking excuses. ...

"We lost x games by Y points of less"
"We didn't have a goalkicker".

You know what winning teams don't have? Bloody excuses.
Pointing out the games lost due to goal kicking was an observation, rather than an excuse.

We aren’t good enough...that is obvious.

I agree with you, we need to go back to being a club that expects to win the Comp, each and every time we start a Season.
Set the standards high, and keep them there.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Finishing in the top 8 is only halfway up the ladder there is no reason we cant get in the 8 ,we are nowhere near shaking the comp up so 8th spot would be ok .we wont have the skill but the motivation will be there .
By 2020 we should be a bit stronger going for a top 6 21/22 if all is done right be in a position to be a threat . Pay needs another 2 full seasons .if we haven't gone foward by then we need a new coach and plan
People have put great expectations on the club. People need to realise we need to crawl before we can walk.
The club was in an almighty mess under the previous regime. The turmoil the previous administration caused had a negative impact on the playing group.
That swamp has now been drained.
Some players were paid massive overs and didnt perform.
The club had little alternative to move on those players. This has happened.
This has allowed the club to recruit new promising players in the correct price bracket. The recruiting process is now in good hands.
The players have expressed their desire to play under Dean Pay. He has their support. Everything is now in place for a good future.
I know it doesn't frequently happen...
But someone forgot to tell that to the 1979 team after loosing 9 first grade players to Newtown 1 to Cronulla and 2 retired at 1978 end, with the reserves we were runners up and won it in 1980 !!!

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Promoting guys like Lewis, Martin, Smith and Ogden made the difference this year. If we didnt have those players we would of been in the bottom of the ladder. Let's hope that we have a few more no names come through from the system and surprise us next year. It will be an interesting year regardless.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't frequently happen...
But someone forgot to tell that to the 1979 team after loosing 9 first grade players to Newtown 1 to Cronulla and 2 retired at 1978 end, with the reserves we were runners up and won it in 1980 !!!
There's always the possibility we could jag one in between fingers crossed

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Promoting guys like Lewis, Martin, Smith and Ogden made the difference this year. If we didnt have those players we would of been in the bottom of the ladder. Let's hope that we have a few more no names come through from the system and surprise us next year. It will be an interesting year regardless.
Chris Smith will impress a lot of people next season. So will Toomaga (when they get there opportunities)

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m keen to see what pay and his recruitment team do about a center and hooker after next year!if they offer lichaa more time there times up

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m keen to see what pay and his recruitment team do about a center and hooker after next year!if they offer lichaa more time there times up
JMK was re signed having not done shit, so don't be surprised if they do

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything less then 12th that we finished this year would be a massive failure, with limited to no distractions next year we should be aiming at getting into 7th or 8th or close to