News 100% footy with Gus

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hastings and Doueihi....I'd absolutely take that with Maguire.

Hastings at 7 , Douehi at fullback, both are big talkers on the field (which we lack), both are very good attacking players

With a spine of Douehi, Burton, Hastings , Mahoney we would be hitting the top 8 for sure

If there was any chance of this I'd be thrilled
This is the only reason why I wouldn't hate Madge as coach. Won't Like him, but won't hate him lol

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hastings and Doueihi....I'd absolutely take that with Maguire.

Hastings at 7 , Douehi at fullback, both are big talkers on the field (which we lack), both are very good attacking players

With a spine of Douehi, Burton, Hastings , Mahoney we would be hitting the top 8 for sure

If there was any chance of this I'd be thrilled
I would cop Madge if he came with Hastings and Papalii...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You could make the same excuses for Baz... Madge got fired from Souths because they missed the top 8 and came 12th with a top 4 calibre roster. What was the excuse for Madge then?

The Tigers have gotten worse the last three years he's been coaching. If he was such a great coach, wouldn't they be improving, not regressing?

His record at the Tigers is 29 wins, 49 losses for a 38% win rate. Is that really who we want to turn the club around?
Of course it's always the coach's fault, nothing else ever has any effect whatsoever on the team's performance. The fact that the club was in debt almost $10m and was threatened with foreclosure has no effect at all. The fact that they had to go to the NRL because the banks wouldn't loan them 1 more cent is also irrelevant. They told the NRL unless they gave them $4m that they wouldn't be able to pay their players, if you really think that had no effect on the players then you are farkin dreaming. Does anyone in their right mind really think that the Tigers not having finished above 9th for the last 10 seasons is Maguire's fault.

I am not for one second suggesting that I want Maguire as our coach, but FMD it's obvious that the Tiger's problems are not created by him.

Always a Bulldog

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Gus wants Freddy ( not sure its even on the cards for me ) would Madge be a pretty good assistant ? maybe something that could work

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maguire turned us down before when our salary cap was screwed up... now after he has failed with the Tigers, we should take him? no
We all know the Tigpies are a Maggers case :tearsofjoy:
Madge took one look at our cap, he thought no other club can be that bad...Yes there was !
The poor bloke was so blinded by our horrible situation The Tigpies must have looked like Melbourne to him :tearsofjoy:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I'll will watch it later , but Gus had also an agenda. We need to bring in a hard noses man maker. We are a soft soft cock pack. We have had that mentality since Ennis left. Madge is the way step in the building of the club. We will compete with the new roster but the next man in fittler will take us to glory when he have lost the soft underbelly and have junior come through a system that breeds and develops the hard edge not only talent. Madge is in and fittler as assistant or brown. . flanno opened his mouth to much and his will leak to his mates . Plus Gus won't want to give the telecunts the satisfaction anyways.
Madge n freddie for me.

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not mind a Ricky Stuart and Michael Ennis combo
Thats would be what i would want also add J Graham

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course it's always the coach's fault, nothing else ever has any effect whatsoever on the team's performance. The fact that the club was in debt almost $10m and was threatened with foreclosure has no effect at all. The fact that they had to go to the NRL because the banks wouldn't loan them 1 more cent is also irrelevant. They told the NRL unless they gave them $4m that they wouldn't be able to pay their players, if you really think that had no effect on the players then you are farkin dreaming. Does anyone in their right mind really think that the Tigers not having finished above 9th for the last 10 seasons is Maguire's fault.

I am not for one second suggesting that I want Maguire as our coach, but FMD it's obvious that the Tiger's problems are not created by him.

Always a Bulldog
You didn't answer my question.. What was the excuse when he finished 12th with a top 4 team at Souths?

If you want to defend his 38% record at the Tigers, then good luck to you. No one said the problems were created by him. But he's done nothing to fix them. If he's as good a coach as you say, then why are they getting worse, not better? Why not make the same excuses for Baz when we've been as dysfunctional the last 6 seasons?

No one is saying Madge has to win comps with the Tigers, but if he can't get them to make the 8 in four seasons, then he's maybe not as good a coach as you make him out to be?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You didn't answer my question.. What was the excuse when he finished 12th with a top 4 team at Souths?

If you want to defend his 38% record at the Tigers, then good luck to you. No one is asking him to win comps with the Tigers, but if he can't get them to make the 8 in four seasons, then he's maybe not as good a coach as you make him out to be?
In Twins defence, The tigers have been a basket case even longer than we have and an absolute graveyard for coaches. I think Madge has a formula that can bring success to a team with a decent roster, but he has a shelf life and his process only works for a few years at a time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In Twins defence, The tigers have been a basket case even longer than we have and an absolute graveyard for coaches. I think Madge has a formula that can bring success to a team with a decent roster, but he has a shelf life and his process only works for a few years at a time.
Baz, his record is 38%.. If Payten can turn Nth Qld around from bottom 4 to top 4 in a year and Kevin Walters can turn Brisbane around from bottom 4 for two years to top 4 this year, why can't Madge get them to make the 8 when he's this supposed supercoach? Those clubs have their fair share of problems too. Generally any coaching role you take over, you inherit a tonne of problems. Otherwise the previous coach wouldn't have been fired.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The players not knowing who their boss will be next year isn't great for morale. Think of yourself at your job. If your boss got the punt, you would want to know ASAP who your new boss is.
Probably me.... so I wouldn't give a fvck if my boss got punted.

Doglover28

Waterboy
Reaction score
my only issue with Madge is (from media reports last season) a reason why JAC and TPJ signed with the dogs and not with the tigers was because they didn’t like Madge as a coach.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baz, his record is 38%.. If Payten can turn Nth Qld around from bottom 4 to top 4 in a year and Kevin Walters can turn Brisbane around from bottom 4 for two years to top 4 this year, why can't Madge get them to make the 8 when he's this supposed supercoach? Those clubs have their fair share of problems too. Generally any coaching role you take over, you inherit a tonne of problems. Otherwise the previous coach wouldn't have been fired.
I know mate, and I am not spruiking Madge. Like I said I think Madge is a short term coach with the right cattle can win but his process burns people pretty quickly. Balmain is a fucking disaster and even the hiring of Tim Sheens wont fix it, its board room level that is zombie land..

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got no doubt, Gus keeps them informed of the mind games he plays to make sure they have a unified front and no one is left holding there dicks when questioned by certain parts of the media...
Yeah, nah.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I would not accept Madge as our new coach and neither should any bulldogs fan, if we want to be premiership contenders again, hiring the 15th placed teams coach who got sacked because he couldn't get the team to fire or progress up the ladder either is not the answer.

we'll just hire a quick fix coach and his side kick

flanagan and danks
back to the top with a shot or two