♥ U Bulldogs Army !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Gather round kids ... Uncle CK has a story.

Back in about 1984, a young CK was whisked off by train to a place called Belmore on a Sunday afternoon by the great Nanna B, in what would prove to be a life shaping event.

You see, we had 3 grades of footy - Back then there'd be plenty of time to kill. Some played footy on the hill, you could wander off to the other parts of the hill, wander off and grab a pie, wander off to the loo, wander off to get a drink. In the company of Bulldogs family, Nanna B knew I'd be looked after as an "own child".

While wandering, I made my way to the Eastern end (opposite from the railway) to cast my eye over the colour and noise building throughout the afternoon. It seemed the more blue and white appeared, the louder they got. Banging on fances, cheering, flying bits of paper ..... AND ..... those MASSIVE flags from TV !!!

To a primary school kid that stuff is as intoxicating as lollies and Coke.

Two well spent hours lost among the ocean of Bulldogs Army circa 1980's ... I was hooked. I raced home to catch some of the delayed telecast on TV .... and there I was !!!

I wanted the newest jersey. A #6 on the back please !!! A big flag too ???
I wanted to go to EVERY game !
I settled for some games ....

Life intervened and I had to move 45mins away in early '85 (practically a whole galaxy away). With the promise of trips to Belmore, the fingerprints left on my memories never rubbed off. They became religious pilgrimages to the holy land far away. Something to spend months looking forward to, leaving memories as strong as ever.

At the same time we were a dominant force. GF wins in 84, 85 and 88 certainly embedded a strong belief that Bulldogs fandom was a way of life embraced by many. The larger CK family divided it's allegiances down Tigers and Bulldogs lines. Nanna B the black sheep went against the grain and chose the Dogs after herself being exposed to early years watching games.

Fast forward to 2008 and the worst season ever ... it was THIS very generation of Bulldogs Army is the reason my passion has been re-ignited. To see the likes of Costa, Moe, Hani, Rami, Christian, Tony, Anthony, Ace and many others still going ... still supporting .... still bringing the banners and flags .... after successive 50 point drubbings ..... was pure inspiration to me.

I'd been hiding from rugby league, swamped in my own self-pity as a Bulldogs fan - Clearly ... there were others suffering more than me. - Lightbulb moment hit at the sight of the Bulldogs Army erupting in cheers, after scoring their first try in a match while 30-0 down.

"Oh WOW ... good on them !" I thought. I called my brother into the room to see .... "Check out the Army dude !" - I felt like I owed it to those who stuck around to help keep their chins and heads up high. Hazem's record came early in 2009. I went along. Met some Kennelers of distinction, and began my year of giving back.

In 2010, life has intervened and I haven't been able to commit as much time and energy to attending games as I would prefer. All I can really do is cheer you guys from the sidelines as you travel to Melb and Newy. If creating some thread with maps helps you get there, then I'll do that !

Although this year hasn't been the one we'd hoped ... the picture below reminds me that everything is OK with the world.

This young man, reminds me of me - It's essentially How my fanatical supporting got started.

Emsy .. when I told you, you'd made a gift to last the Army generations this is what I meant. That boy is mystified by that banner, in every single picture i've seen. We lost badly, and still sang silly - He WILL remember this.

It's because of the current Bulldogs Army ..... that young gentleman MAY wind the next Ali, Ace, CK, Hog, Christian, Jase, Will, Munnuz, etc .... in ten years time, driving buses hours away or manufacturing flags for all to admire.

In two short years since the dark dark days of 2008, we're already securing the ongoing domination of Bulldogs fans. And all we had to do was be ourselves.

Bulldogs Army : They all hate us, because they ain't us !

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
*wipes away tears*

Hey did we even get on TV yesterday?

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Good work CK, in the past when we would be copping a smashing we would just stay silent and do nothing but it was awesome to see yesterday everyone get up and continue to chant and support the team.

A good memory of yesterday was as the players were walking off, we were all standing and even though they didnt really deserve it we gave them an applause and a big Bulldogs chant as they left, players like Noddy and Hannant stopped and clapped towards us acknowledging our support which was a nice touch.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
From the perspective of someone who sits in the army - I can tell you all now.

The hardest thing you can ever do as a supporter is cheer for your team louder than any win...

Considering you travelled 2 hours + to see them, leaving important issues at home for the sake of the team.
In the middle of an opposition supporters stadium, seeing your team get absolutely FLOGGED and officially missing the finals and leaving you with absolutely nothing to chant for but the sake of numbing the reality of how **** our team is going and showing who we really are. Having opposition fans laugh at you all the way out the stadium.

And worst of all, having the team, the ones you spent every breath hurting your throat cheering for, walk into the sheds with most of them not even acknowledging your existance.

All of this, toppled with the most painful, longest 2 hours home only to cop the "I told you so" lecture from family.

It is the hardest thing you can ever do as a supporter, and for anyone who went there and endured some of this - I seriously pull my hat off to you. You guys deserve the love and respect we will never properly see from within.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
mate i heard all you guys singing loud and proud in the last 10 mins...........
the players didnt make us proud.........u guys did............i wuldnt no any other fans in the whole world who wuld celebrate after their team has performed like that all year..........
and for the first time this year...........im really proud 2 be a dogs supporter........great work...........now lets send the general off in the same way

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score

The hardest thing you can ever do as a supporter is cheer for your team louder than any win...

Considering you travelled 2 hours + to see them, leaving important issues at home for the sake of the team.
In the middle of an opposition supporters stadium, seeing your team get absolutely FLOGGED and officially missing the finals and leaving you with absolutely nothing to chant for but the sake of numbing the reality of how **** our team is going and showing who we really are. Having opposition fans laugh at you all the way out the stadium.

And worst of all, having the team, the ones you spent every breath hurting your throat cheering for, walk into the sheds with most of them not even acknowledging your existance.

All of this, toppled with the most painful, longest 2 hours home only to cop the "I told you so" lecture from family.

It is the hardest thing you can ever do as a supporter, and for anyone who went there and endured some of this - I seriously pull my hat off to you. You guys deserve the love and respect we will never properly see from within.
I know what you mean man, when i got home, everyone is like "what for" etc. but they wont understand, even if we lost 50 games in a row we will still be there cheering the boys on.

Also, thats why i made a special mention to Noddy & Hannant as they stopped & clapped towards as they were leaving, at least they acknowledged the support.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Massive props Rami ... I got angry after what the players did to you all in Melbourne. Hearing yesterdays result unfold, I couldn't help but think of the bus and other travellers.

I've bolded the next bit because it's really the moral of the whole story : Last Sunday against the Knights, a generation of fans learnt how being a Bulldogs Army member transcends the two points on offer each week.

It is a shining testament to the creative forces behind the BA movement, that this collective of people have come as far as they have. Individually we offer much, but collectively we are slowly building into a juggernaut that opposition fans secretly aspire to be.

We may not have Saints TV-friendly banners, but what we lack in colour we make up for in song.

It's almost reached the point where other fans mark us off on the calendar, and keep plans free, knowing the atmosphere from our travellers adds extra to the match. If we lose, they get to "give it to us". As long as racism is kept out we love it that way ! On the flipside .... may God Almighty himself help "them" if WE win ! :becky:

I cant quantify this by saying I've spoken to people .... but that's the impression I get when I do go. There's nothing quite like sticking it to the Dogs and their fans is there ?

But here's the deal : We KNOW they all hate us. They've thrown every insult including the kitchen sink at us over the last decade and here we are still ! We annoy the sh*t out of everyone ! We're in their heads weeks and months in advance ! It's hilarious how twisted people get over it.

But as an Army .... Do we care ???
LOL .... not anymore.

Last Sunday up'd the stakes for 2011.
Win or lose - Rain or shine - Cold or scorching sun.
We've learnt how to still keep singing ....

... and if it all goes to plan, we'll be annoying everyone from start to bloody end of game day, each and every week.

The "two points" will merely be the icing on the cake :thumb:

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

this makes me feel somewhat ashamed that i only attend sydney games. good write up and props to everyone who makes the effort.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Even if the season is over, i urge all Bulldog fans to get out to ANZ but especially our final game against Manly at Brookie. The bulldog army will still be out in force and no matter the result, we will chant all the way and give the players leaving the send off and respect they deserve

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even if the season is over, i urge all Bulldog fans to get out to ANZ but especially our final game against Manly at Brookie.
Brookie is awesome. Everyone is jammed in on the hill and the atmosphere kicks ass.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Brookie is awesome. Everyone is jammed in on the hill and the atmosphere kicks ass.
Amen to that, the atmosphere is awesome and we always get good numbers over there, lets hope its one big effort to end season 2010.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Even if the season is over, i urge all Bulldog fans to get out to ANZ but especially our final game against Manly at Brookie. The bulldog army will still be out in force and no matter the result, we will chant all the way and give the players leaving the send off and respect they deserve
Bus to Brooky :P

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
CK that was nothing but FANTASTIC. I got goosebumps reading that.

For people who didnt go to Newcastle, 15mins before the end of the game we were non stop chanting and singing and we stayed back inside the stadium for about 10-15mins singing and chanting and again singing and chanting as we left towards to bus.

This alone made we want the Canberra game to come asap and i would like to quote clarrisa a girl in the army who went to newcastle. She updated her status while on the bus to this "somewhere between newcastle and sydney and cant help but smile as she looks around the bus and realises that no matter what the result the dogs will always have us ♥ heads up boys!".

The dogs usually have a large number of fans at newcastle but this year they fell by a huge number which goes to show you some supporters only follow a team that wins.

But i would like to congratulate every single person who came to newcastle and all the other away games to support the team. Also to all the other fans who will still attend the dogs last 3 games in sydney, because without you this club wouldnt still be around.

We might not get on tv but i couldnt care less because in the end the dogs have the best supporters behind them and also the best army.

We got 42,000 to hazems last game against the warriors and the steelers and roosters got 37,000 to the biggest match of the year, just goes to show you we are the best supporters in the game

For anyone who is thinking about joining the army in 2011 why not come join us at the last 3 games and get involved in the action before the start of season 2011? trust me you wont regret it

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Very good words from CK and Costa...although it wasnt the result we wanted i walked onto the bus happy because i know that as a supporter group i dont think we can be matched at all....passion, energy and loyalty are 3 words that come to mind for me.

Having spent a day in newcastle with the army just reminds me why i am and will forever be a bulldogs supporter....win or lose i will never stop supporting my beloved bulldogs

cLEBrity

Mujnoon
Reaction score
Excellent read gave me goosebumps,
by the way.
this has made it to Greenbergs twitter page hope he takes notice :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.