Opinion “Prediction “ Where will our doggies finish in 22

What position do the Dogs finish in 2022?

• 1st-2nd

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 3rd-4th

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 5th-6th

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • 7th-8th

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • 9th-10th

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • 11th-12th

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • 13th-14th

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • 15th-16th

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes but read my post I said he has better chance of being the playmaker given we don't have a good playmaker in Flanno, Wakeham and Avo.
Why does he have a better chance though? He has no experience playing the role while most of his footy in the NRL has been in the centres. Burton just needs to focus on settling into the team and halves before we start heaping all this extra pressure on him that we so often see break young halves.

At this stage Jake has the most experience within the system while probably being the furthest away from being a traditional half, obviously the club have seen enough from him at training to persist with him in that role last season and again this season despite that. If he doesn't show improvement on the pitch this season then we move in a different direction, but for now he's the best option.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does he have a better chance though? He has no experience playing the role while most of his footy in the NRL has been in the centres. Burton just needs to focus on settling into the team and halves before we start heaping all this extra pressure on him that we so often see break young halves.

At this stage Jake has the most experience within the system while probably being the furthest away from being a traditional half, obviously the club have seen enough from him at training to persist with him in that role last season and again this season despite that. If he doesn't show improvement on the pitch this season then we move in a different direction, but for now he's the best option.
Because Burton has more footy IQ between his ears than the other 3 combined. Avo would be the other half given Flanno and Wakeham aren't up to NRL standard.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respectfully don't agree;
The dummy half can pass directly to the 5/8 if they so choose.

The dummy half doesn't have to pass to the 1/2 if they choose not to.

These days 1/2 and 5/8 play mostly on opposite sides of the field.

Back in the Mortimer and Lamb days scrums were set on the spot, now they are often set mid field, to give attacking opportunities on both sides.
They may well both be running halves but Mortimer's greatest asset was acceleration, Burton does not have that acceleration, he does have speed, side step and swerve plus deception, he puts the defence in doubt. With the bonus of a Brentnall length kick, Mortimer was the short kick master. In regards to playing style and natural attributes, comparisons between Mortimer and Burton are erroneous.

Always a Bulldog
Another good post Twin. Im starting to worry about you. Are you really a kenneler?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes but read my post I said he has better chance of being the playmaker given we don't have a good playmaker in Flanno, Wakeham and Avo.
stupid post once again, you want to a superstar 6 and turn him into a game managing 7, dumb. Averillo can easily play the 7 role and will do it well this year.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid post once again, you want to a superstar 6 and turn him into a game managing 7, dumb. Averillo can easily play the 7 role and will do it well this year.
Another moronic post from the self declared expert who thinks that Stuart, Daley, Thurston and co played 1970's style football.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo will get the role because there are simply no better options. Which is a huge oversight from recruitment.

He is a runner, he is not an organiser, he is not creative.

His kicking game is adequate for a third or fourth choice kicker.

Measure a player by dropping them into another NRL teams roster.

Averillo won’t make first grade in many, if any other teams. He certainly wouldn’t be given the 7 jersey.

He was given every chance to show what he can do in the halves last year. What he showed was he isn’t a half.

His best position would be centre. Although I have massive reservations on his defensive ability out wide. I was hoping this off-season was going to be a chance to work on his defensive decision making at centre and play him as a running outside back.

Unless he is doing something on the training pitch that he is yet to show on game day. He is a long way from being an NRL standard half.

I like him as a player but I feel he is destined to follow the path of Mbye and never really find a position that is his, never find a home.

I really hope he proves me wrong.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im tipping 8 games into the season, gus tells barrett he wont be at the dogs next season

sam snee

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
>"I did also say BBO? "
That is not relevant because I'm not refuting BBO in this post. I'm refuting your claim that the Dogs will be 5th-8th with Wakeham as our half. Wakeham has had his share of opportunities and every time he has failed. Watch his previous matches and see the "deer caught in headlights" look on his eyes when he gets the ball, he has no idea what he is supposed to do.
That is why Avo was chosen as #7 because despite his obvious shortcomings he still has more to offer than Wakeham. Avo is unlikely to be the long term answer to #7 but Wakeham is certainly not. And as bad as Avo's kicking game at times at least he can kick the ball more than 30m. If an NRL HB has no speed or footwork then he must at least have a great kicking and passing game and Wakeham has neither.
Wakeham is shit in all games I seen him play
He has no kicking game
Passing game is average at best
Organising and running game also below par him flano are the last options I hope.

For me young josh Ralph looks the goods I’d him even rajab ahead of those two

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Another moronic post from the self declared expert who thinks that Stuart, Daley, Thurston and co played 1970's style football.
Fuk you are dumb ****, you said you have been watching from the 70’s, i said you are still in the 70’s.
Dumb ****, never said the players mentioned were in the 70’s dumb fucker.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averillo will get the role because there are simply no better options. Which is a huge oversight from recruitment.

He is a runner, he is not an organiser, he is not creative.

His kicking game is adequate for a third or fourth choice kicker.

Measure a player by dropping them into another NRL teams roster.

Averillo won’t make first grade in many, if any other teams. He certainly wouldn’t be given the 7 jersey.

He was given every chance to show what he can do in the halves last year. What he showed was he isn’t a half.

His best position would be centre. Although I have massive reservations on his defensive ability out wide. I was hoping this off-season was going to be a chance to work on his defensive decision making at centre and play him as a running outside back.

Unless he is doing something on the training pitch that he is yet to show on game day. He is a long way from being an NRL standard half.

I like him as a player but I feel he is destined to follow the path of Mbye and never really find a position that is his, never find a home.

I really hope he proves me wrong.
Massive reservations? His defence was sensational this year. At half he defends 1 inside the centre, tackling the edge forwards trying to single out the halves. He was very good last year in a shit team and he will be even better this year with better players around him

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wakeham is shit in all games I seen him play
He has no kicking game
Passing game is average at best
Organising and running game also below par him flano are the last options I hope.

For me young josh Ralph looks the goods I’d him even rajab ahead of those two
Young Josh Ralph?

Wakeham is 2 yrs younger than him.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuk you are dumb ****, you said you have been watching from the 70’s, i said you are still in the 70’s.
Dumb ****, never said the players mentioned were in the 70’s dumb fucker.
Stop talking about yourself you fugly dipshit. Nobody is interested in your shitty opinions you narcissist. Not even a lobotomy would help you since you lack the underlying organ.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year the aim needs to be mid table, 7-8. Most likely will miss the 8 and come 10-12. Next year back to top 4. That needs to be the aim.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Massive reservations? His defence was sensational this year. At half he defends 1 inside the centre, tackling the edge forwards trying to single out the halves. He was very good last year in a shit team and he will be even better this year with better players around him
He spent most of the time defending in position 4. Inside the backrower. Where the players in general run straight lines with very little defensive decisions required. Sensational defensive this year? He was as bad as the rest of them.

Centre is the hardest position on the field to defend. Middles do much more volume but defensive reads are much easier. The footwork with speed and space requires reading the play so much harder at centre.

All I’m saying is if he could practice and work on this he has everything else to make a good centre.

Currently though he is not even close to an NRL quality half. Yet he is all we have so he will get picked there. I think this won’t help his development as a player at all.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On paper, probably somewhere in the top 6.
1 Dufty
6 Burton
7 ?
9 JMK

On paper this is a bottom 4 spine, we will be relying on our other recruits like JAC & TPJ to compensate for the lack of quality in these positions.

Penrith
Easts
Parra
Melbourne
Manly
Souffs

There’s your top 6, all of them have quality players in these key positions that are either past or current rep players or are next in line.

There is only 2 finals spots up for grabs from last year. Newcastle will slide without Pearce and the speculation around Ponga. Gold Coast are the other team that could miss out but they have the softest draw in the comp and could still make it in by only beating the bottom teams.

Cronulla only just missed out this year and will take 1 of the available spots so there is potentially 4-6 teams competing for 8th place.

When Mahoney arrives in 2023 we will hopefully have a spine capable of making finals.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really like the go forward, will be up on the line in three tackles.
4th is not impossible.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He spent most of the time defending in position 4. Inside the backrower. Where the players in general run straight lines with very little defensive decisions required. Sensational defensive this year? He was as bad as the rest of them.

Centre is the hardest position on the field to defend. Middles do much more volume but defensive reads are much easier. The footwork with speed and space requires reading the play so much harder at centre.

All I’m saying is if he could practice and work on this he has everything else to make a good centre.

Currently though he is not even close to an NRL quality half. Yet he is all we have so he will get picked there. I think this won’t help his development as a player at all.
He was outside the edge forward, no defensive structure has the half inside the edge forward. Disagree on all points, his defence was exceptional and i think with his experience from last year he will only improve. People quickly forget it was his first full year at the hardest position in the team. He had to lead a wooden spoon around the park with shit 6’s like Lewis outside him offering him no help. He will improve and what it gives us is two genuine strike options either side of the ruck.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1 Dufty
6 Burton
7 ?
9 JMK

On paper this is a bottom 4 spine, we will be relying on our other recruits like JAC & TPJ to compensate for the lack of quality in these positions.

Penrith
Easts
Parra
Melbourne
Manly
Souffs

There’s your top 6, all of them have quality players in these key positions that are either past or current rep players or are next in line.

There is only 2 finals spots up for grabs from last year. Newcastle will slide without Pearce and the speculation around Ponga. Gold Coast are the other team that could miss out but they have the softest draw in the comp and could still make it in by only beating the bottom teams.

Cronulla only just missed out this year and will take 1 of the available spots so there is potentially 4-6 teams competing for 8th place.

When Mahoney arrives in 2023 we will hopefully have a spine capable of making finals.
I think Im a fan if BBO at 7 and Cook at 9 because they're options we haven't already tried and failed with

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We will see a lot of chopping and changing again this year and they will both get a run at some point.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we can improve both our attack and defence by 12 points per game this year, we will make the 8. Sounds easy enough