News “I’ve been waiting a long while’: 26yo schoolteacher earns dream debut for Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for a school principal to get a knock on the door to be told by someone they won’t be coming back because they’ve gone to pursue their dream of playing NRL.
Usually it’s a pupil - the next big thing, the teenage whiz kid who is ready to play top-grade before they’ve started shaving.

But Brad Deitz was a teacher.

And after entering the principal’s office - at Sydney’s Our Lady of The Sacred Heart College – he told his new boss he was quitting because he had a training opportunity with the Bulldogs.
Fast forward two months and Mr Deitz, who turned 26 on Tuesday, was handed the best birthday present he could hope for when Trent Barrett told him: ‘you’re in’ for Canterbury’s Round 1 clash with Newcastle.

I told the principal it was too much of a good opportunity to turn down,” Deitz, who teaches maths and PE, told Foxsports.com.au.

“They were all happy for me, but needed me to fulfil my notice until they found a replacement.

“I told Baz and he was supportive of me and they were happy for me to do my time teaching and then come back full-time.
I was training with Mounties (Bulldogs’ reserve team) and I must have gone all right (in an opposed session) because Baz asked me to come back.

“I came in every day during the school holiday and Baz asked me to stick around, it was such a good opportunity I’d have been stupid not to.”
It’s an ethos that has paid dividends. Deitz was named in the No. 14 jumper on Tuesday afternoon and has - despite being on a training contract - been given an exemption to play due to the fact regular Dogs hooker Jeremy Marshall-King went down for the Maori All Stars.

Deitz’s story is one of perseverance. He was part of an Australian Schoolboys side that included Jai Arrow, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks.

But the cards just never fell in his favour. He went to North Sydney, who were at the time a South Sydney feeder club. There, he was stuck behind Damien Cook and Robbie Farah.
When the Roosters linked with the Bears, Sam Verills pipped him to a call-up and there was a time he thought first-grade chance might never come.

Now, though, he joins the likes of Cody Walker, Jamal Fogarty and Andrew Davey in being handed a second chance later down the track after scoring a try and impressing with his quick feet in the Dogs’ trial win over Cronulla.

“I definitely had times in the last couple of years where NRL clubs would just be looking for the next thing coming through (and I thought my time might not come),” Deitz, who will wear the No.14 jumper, said..

“I still had that love of footy, whether it was NSW Cup – or when that was cancelled in the President’s Cup.
“We had a field session on Monday and just as that finished Baz told me there and then one-on-one. He shook my hand and congratulated me, he knows I’ve been waiting a long while to get the call.”
Deitz turned up at his parents’ with wife, Laura, and delivered the news over a birthday dinner.

Mum and dad didn’t quite believe him when he told them of his conversation with Barrett, but now around 15 family members are expected to make the trip up to Newcastle on Friday.

Asked what he’d say to those who were on the wrong side of 21 and had yet to crack first-grade, Deitz said: “As long as you’re still loving your game, play some good games, stick at it, and hopefully you can get noticed.”

From a teacher, that’s probably a lesson worth heeding.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Did not realise "He was part of an Australian Schoolboys side that included Jai Arrow, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks"

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm liking Deitz and hope he gives it a real good crack at hooker. We might have another Cookie on our hands. Same thing happened to Cookie as he was a bit of a journeyman too.

Good Luck Deitz...

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great story hope he does well, his students would be proud.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he is quitting his job surely that means he is going to get a contract

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love it.. Cheer him On boys.. let’s hope he has a huge year for us.!!!

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd like to get a good look at Deitz with some more game time. Saw a few indications in the brief time he had (and under difficult circumstances), that he could be the (at least short term) fix for 9.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Had two good runs from dummy half and imo offers way more offensively than Katoa. Not too sure about his defence at this point.

Anyone know how Topine went at hooker for mounties?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is too weak in defence. The best option in attack it appears but a liability in defence... Similar to Averillo

Last edited:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortuantly like a Shakespearean tragedy that will likely be the end of the feel good story

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ordinary. Couldnt keep up when it got hot. There is such a huge difference between NSW cup and 1st grade.
Few ppl mentioned it here even myself few weeks ago, his greatest strengths is just running out of dummy halve, doesnt really offer much after that