“I’m the one that made the decision” - Gus

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So either Gus is going to use Barrett as a puppet or he's going to sack him. A coach not picking his roster surely means he has to go?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould blasts 'disgraceful' attacks on Bulldogs' handling of Kyle Flanagan selection
Canterbury general manager Phil Gould has hit back at claims the Bulldogs breached their duty of care over the decision to pick Kyle Flanagan for this weekend's match against Penrith.

The Bulldogs have been under fire from some sections of the media since Flanagan was named in the squad earlier this week, with suggestions the move is a "disgrace" from a club that has "humiliated" the 23-year-old.

Part of the criticism dates back to last season when Flanagan broke down in an emotional press conference after he was forced to address questions surrounding his mid-game benching.

Flanagan's inclusion at No.7 this week comes as the Bulldogs search for a much-needed win against reigning premiers Penrith, while currently sitting with one victory and three defeats.

Rugby league great Phil Gould (Getty)

Speaking on his weekly Six Tackles With Gus podcast, Gould let loose on those in the media criticising Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett in particular, as well as the club.

"There has been a campaign from certain sections of the media towards our coach in the off-season, for reasons best known to themselves," Gould said.

"This is a rather extraordinary attack on Trent Barrett, on the club, and I'm trying to understand the motivation for that. What they don't reveal is their motivation for this or where they got their facts for it.

"There is nothing within our club that remotely supports anything they say. They certainly haven't done their research. Not that I ever want to be drawn into a response from them because that's exactly what they want. I can say this has been nothing but disgraceful journalism.

"I'd much prefer they come after me more than anything because, to be honest, I'm the one that's controlled the Kyle Flanagan off-season and preparation, and I'm the one that's made the decision on where and when he comes back into first grade."

Kyle Flanagan of the Bulldogs (Getty)

Flanagan mustered nine games with Cronulla across the 2018 and 2019 seasons, before signing a two-year deal with the Sydney Roosters, who had won the premiership the year before.

But the Roosters, who in 2020 were chasing a third-straight title before crashing out in the semi-finals, shafted Flanagan with a year to run on his contract, leaving some experts, including league Immortal Andrew Johns, to believe he had been made a scapegoat in the Tricolours' demise.

"Kyle Flanagan was a very high-profile purchase for this club well before I get here... nothing went very well here at the Bulldogs last year," Gould said.

"They had a very poor season... Kyle found himself out of the first-grade side at different stages last season and probably only played half the year in first grade.
"The problem for a lot of these kids last year is if they weren't in the first-grade side, they weren't playing football, there wasn't NSW Cup football or a lower grade football to go back and keep themselves in form.
"I'm loathed to respond to this, I don't ever react to this type of thing, but this is so wrong it's not funny."

Gould says since he joined the Bulldogs last season, he's taken the "personal" responsibility of making sure Flanagan makes it back into first-grade football.

"Kyle Flanagan is a key part of this organisation, he's a key part of our roster. He's our highest-paid playmaker and that's no good for any club when they're not in the first-grade side," Gould said.

"One of my things was to get to the bottom of that. Speaking to the coaches, I actually also rang Trent Robinson and Nick Politis at the Roosters to get some history and background on them... I knew a lot of people at the Sharks and a lot at the Roosters to get some background on him.

Kyle Flanagan with Roosters coach Trent Robinson (Getty)

"I also had a meeting with his father (Shane Flanagan) and his manager back in September to get their take on where things were at with Kyle and his football.

"We discussed it, and I discussed with them that I would take a personal interest in this.

"Our aim was to get him back playing first grade, enjoying his football and playing the best football he possibly could. But I asked them to leave it to me, we didn't want too many coaches from the outside interfering.

"We just needed him to settle down here and enjoy his football, which he has done. He has trained extremely hard.

"Kyle Flanagan from what I see, and I see most of their training sessions - I'm not part of the coaching staff, I don't do coaching but I'm around the sessions a lot - Kyle has been heavily involved right throughout the off-season in just about every training session that we've had. He's at every team meeting, he's at every video session. He's an integral part of what the club is doing."

Gould also touched on how Flanagan's preparation this season has been interrupted due to COVID-19 outbreaks.

"It was an interrupted off-season for the club because Matt Burton didn't turn up - he was the last person who turned up because he played with a premiership-winning side. He was entitled to his break," he said.

"The team left early for Christmas because we had a COVID-19 outbreak. When we came back after Christmas, we only had a handful of players available.

"Finally we got ourselves back to full squad training and then Matt Burton got COVID and missed the first trial game. Around that time, having watched Kyle trial - I asked the coach to trial Kyle in reserve grade, I wanted him away from the spotlight and I wanted to watch him and see what he wanted to do.

"I watched his first two trials and then I spent two hours with Kyle one morning and had a talk to him about his life, his football, what he thought he was doing, the pressure he was feeling, and he was obviously feeling some stress."

Gould said during his one-on-one conversation with the playmaker, he told him his best interests at the time were to go back to reserve grade.

"He's a very passionate and emotional kid. There was one point where he said, 'I love this so much, it's my life, it's everything'," Gould explained.

"I said, 'well we need to stop there. It's not your life, it's a part of your life. It's a big part of your life at this stage of your life, but it's not going to control or define your life for the rest of your existence... the way you're going at the moment, in 15 years you're going to look back and regret the way you stressed and worried about this'.

"That's where he was.

"I said, 'you tell me what you think a halfback is? What sort of halfback you think you are? What it is you're trying to do on the field? You explain it to me, I've watched you through the first couple of trial games'.

"He's a football student, he really loves the game and he sits there and articulates it.

"I said, 'well Kyle, whatever it is you think you're doing and whatever it is you want, that's not happening, is it?', and he agreed. I said, 'at the moment, I don't think NRL is the place for you and I don't think you can help the team. They can't help you right at the moment. We need to reset your career and that could mean some time in reserve grade'.

"I told Trent Barrett and said Kyle is unavailable for first grade until further notice. I wanted him to back to NSW Cup.

"I have dealt pretty much exclusively with the reserve grade coach David Tangata-Toa... I don't get involved with the coaching, but I talk to David and he has certainly nurtured him along the way.

"Over the first weeks of the competition, Kyle has improved. Our reserve grade is undefeated... it's been scoring a lot of points and Kyle has been a key figure in that.

"When I looked at the statistics and data, he was in the top three or four halfbacks playing, and by last weekend he graduated by being number one."

Gould then explained how it all went down earlier this week when he got the call asking for Flanagan to return to first grade.

"When I get a call from the coach (Barrett) on Monday morning asking if he could pick Kyle (for first grade), I said 'why do you want to do that?'" Gould said.

"He gave me the reasons... Trent Barrett's reasons were clear and I said Kyle was ready for NRL.

"It's my responsibility as to how Kyle's been prepared for this season and to when he comes back into the NRL. Not Trent Barret, not the Bulldogs, that's me.

"This vitriolic attack on our coach and club just won't be tolerated. If they want to come at anyone, come at me.

"Kyle Flanagan doesn't need this type of pressure coming into the game and he was getting no pressure from us, and he's under no pressure this weekend when he plays with us.

"He's our highest-paid playmaker in the club, he's ready. This is what he wants to do and this is what he's prepared to do."

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe protecting TBaz a bit but that’s the old school bulldog mentality Gussy came up in. Good to see it back in the club. Not the first time the media has came at us and that’s usually when we play our best.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Wow, how does Gus allegedly picking the team make Baz look any better? This is like when Mum takes you to school, confronts your bullies and asks them to be nice.....lol

Does the club pay your salary, or does Trent Barrett, Gus? Stop trying to protect him.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow, how does Gus allegedly picking the team make Baz look any better? This is like when Mum takes you to school, confronts your bullies and asks them to be nice.....lol

Does the club pay your salary, or does Trent Barrett, Gus? Stop trying to protect him.
I love ppl reading shit that isn't written, so many ppl here act like journalists. What Gus said is what I thought was going on and I'm all for it.

I would believe what Gus says over anyone in this place coz he doesn't twist shit.

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Sounds Like he’s trying to protect you. Are you ready for this weekend?

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well If gone down like he said then kudos to him and they way they have gone about it . Propbably still not best to unleash him on the panthers but it seems they have done the work from what is said

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

What’s your prob bro ?

You are back in the side. Stop crying and go play some footy

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad that Gus came out and defended the club, we are a magnet for the trash these so called jurnos come up and im sick of it.

OT but I want a confirmation of registration of reed and Kiks all the media spot light is pissing me off.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to take Gus on face value at times but he does seem to genuine on this one with the amount of detail he has provided. It’s good to see someone taking charge of the situation.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I love ppl reading shit that isn't written, so many ppl here act like journalists. What Gus said is what I thought was going on and I'm all for it.

I would believe what Gus says over anyone in this place coz he doesn't twist shit.
Cool story, Bro....but whether Gus is selecting players for Barrett, or protecting him, this is some real boolsheet.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Crawley and the 360 mob have been getting more and more brazen with their agenda of late. Last season? We were the bad guys for how we treated Kyle Flanagan and him crying (their fault, and the shafting from Robbo and the Roosters was all forgotten). This season? We were the bad guys for how we treated Flanagan, and then for how we weren't giving him a chance. We give him a chance? We are the bad guys because we picked him at an "unfair" time. FFS, it really is laughable they took that angle when he is our highest paid playmaker. All the midweek player interviews were just different players being questioned about Flanagan and wanting to further this narrative.

Love Gould sticking up for the club like this, and rightfully criticising rugby league "journalism" in its current state. Tigers get shat on multiple times per day by journalists, and they just have to take it. If we didn't have Gould at the club we would be bent over just as far as they are, but Gould is bringing Pride back to our club.