News ‘You can’t do that’: Barrett demands answers over ‘contentious’ Broncos tries

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith had 2 disallowed in the opener versus Manly… the second one involving Tommy Turbo was farcical, the bloke was grazed at best, he was never going to get to Brian To’o but they denied the try… then they are giving tries on outside shoulders when there is clear contact.

unfortunately, one has to carry on like a pork chop to get the right outcome

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Referees boss comes out with a “feel for the game” rule as rationale… outside shoulder is penalised 10/10 times…but somehow, they bend the rules for the Broncos or for teams playing the Bulldogs.

In the other occasion, the bloke is tackled and gets the ball stripped whilst on the ground..very strange ruling.

By the way, who can ever forget the Bunker ruling a forward pass from Sam Kasiano vs Parra at the death to tie up the game… Bunkers can’t rule on forward passes but that night, they did!!
In other words, the ref felt that Okunbor is shit, hence he wouldn't have stopped Herbie anyway? He had the first part right, but it's irrelevant what the feel was. It's so easy to judge it's not funny. The pic posted above clearly shows it. That is simply unfair. Okunbor was prevented from covering his man because of the obstruction of his inside man. And then this other photo was posted more recently showing another spepherd on Burns' inside man. Is this legit? Fmd, well the hype around Reynolds' first game for drongos was huge...

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah all my Broncos mates can’t admit it’s an obstruction but come back with ‘Okonshit and Burns ain’t catching Farnworth’

They are right but it’s irrelevant to the letter of the law on obstructions

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can’t believe he used a “feel for the game” or “common sense” as a valid reason to award a try. When has that ever been used? Okunbor had to come in to cover both Isaako and the winger because Averillo was impeded. It changes everything.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rules are clear - If any doubt arises as to a tackle, the Referee should give a verbal instruction to “play on” or shout “held” as the case may be.

On his arse with a guy around the ball. If thats not tackled then what is?
Makes me wonder what would have happened if Farnsworth couldn't get the ball off him, would the ref have allowed us to play on, or called us back for a play the ball?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned it but what would of happened if he kept the ball and continued to run?

You're telling me the ref would of called play on?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned it but what would of happened if he kept the ball and continued to run?

You're telling me the ref would of called play on?
Exactly. We all know the answer to that.

It's crazy how long refs wait to call held. Thats part of the problem and why coaches started the bs wrestle.

The refs are the main reason why the ptb got so slow and messy bc they don't call held quick enough. If they did it would open up the game as much as 6 agains etc.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can’t believe he used a “feel for the game” or “common sense” as a valid reason to award a try. When has that ever been used? Okunbor had to come in to cover both Isaako and the winger because Averillo was impeded. It changes everything.
Apparently the rule can only be applied against the Bulldogs.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No obstruction here.... Move on....
View attachment 43923
We got ripped off big time! After watching the strip a few times I'm ok with the decision, you win some and you lose some and we will win some of those calls. But the second try was an obstruction every day of the week. There is no doubt whatsoever Oates got in the way of Burns. I've watched it over and over in slow motion and oates CLEARLY got in the way. Put it this way, if oates wasn't there Burns hammers the ball runner 1000%. What a bullshit call. Score should of been 10-10 and into Golden point. Our players need to take dives to stop these bullshit calls.