News ‘Wildcard’ emerges for unwanted Shark – and it could spell trouble for exiled young gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dufty isn’t really needed I believe that Allan or Averillo could play out the back especially with Burton and Johnson on either side of the ruck. There would be no pressure on Allan or Averillo to over play their hand with two ball players in the halves.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty isn’t really needed I believe that Allan or Averillo could play out the back especially with Burton and Johnson on either side of the ruck. There would be no pressure on Allan or Averillo to over play their hand with two ball players in the halves.
Agreed. I think Avo has much more upside than Dufty. For one thing he is much tougher. Dufty goes missing in defence and is a flat track bully.

Have a look at the dragons games this year. He is best on ground against the weak teams and MIA against the good teams.

He will most likely have a blinder today and this page will go nuts and demand we sign him. But we need to remember one thing - we are shit this year. If we were strong he wouldn’t be sighted

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnson should be able to go from day 1 and bring experience. I think a Burton and Johnson combo will settle a lot more quickly than a Hynes and Burton combo. Although Hynes is 24 he’s still rather inexperienced for a half it would be a huge risk to go with two players that are essentially rookies in the halves.
Fair point mate.
Plus bigger chance of any decent young halves we have in lower grades would sign elsewhere had we got hynes there instead of sj. If we have any.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry mate but who is taking Flanno ?
No one though another club would sign Montoya, but he's played almost all season for the Warriors... No one thought another club would sign DWZ on that contract even if we paid freight but two clubs have shown interest.

There are plenty of other examples. Clubs always take a chance on another clubs trash and try and turn them into treasure. Especially young halves when there's a shortage of halves.

I can see Saints, Newcastle, the Tigers etc making a play for Flanagan, especially if we pay 50k or so a year to help move him on. Nth Qld just signed Dearden who is as bad as Flanagan. If Shane Flanagan gets another job, then he'd be almost certainly to sign Kyle to play for him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think Avo has much more upside than Dufty. For one thing he is much tougher. Dufty goes missing in defence and is a flat track bully.

Have a look at the dragons games this year. He is best on ground against the weak teams and MIA against the good teams.

He will most likely have a blinder today and this page will go nuts and demand we sign him. But we need to remember one thing - we are shit this year. If we were strong he wouldn’t be sighted
Yeah I totally agree! Dufty looks great when he burns someone or throws a big cut out pass but he’s very inconsistent.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dufty
6. Burton
7. Johnson
9. Cheese

Equals X FACTOR SPINE
If the club doesn't make this happen then there kidding themselves. With a spine like that I couldn't give a fuck what the forward pack looks like. There's no excuses for not signing Johnson or Dufty do whatever it takes to get them. Smith is a little harder cause his contracted. Maybe sign hodgson as a stop gap for a year then wait for Smith.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My mail is as strong as anyone on here . Like I said in Rudolph he was close to a done deal , not a done deal ! Same with Johnson we are close also . I think it’s around 500-550 we have offered and I’ve been told his keen on coming . Whether another club comes in or not is another issue .

B smith issue is with Melbourne. They are playing hardball and rightfully so . He should be our priority along with Johnson . Props and middles I think we will have to be patient for quality there .

I’m hearing it’s for the following year where we want junior paulo and Kikau .
Hopoate is done at the club , I have not asked about dwz but it looks like it has legs to it . I’d be pissed if we release him , with us paying anything more than 300 a year.
I asked about this, apparently has legs.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kikau and Junior Paulo. The interest isn't one way, it's both way apparently, i.e players are interested too

Actually the whole lot of alic's post
Deadset. Wouldn't that be something! 2023 looks like it's shaping like a great year if thats the case

Malla

Reaction score
Kikau and Junior Paulo. The interest isn't one way, it's both way apparently, i.e players are interested too

Actually the whole lot of alic's post
Who told you about Kikau? I've known about that since the start of this year. Has been a 2 way dialogue for a while now, part of the reason why Panthers are being ***** about releasing Naden and said no to Burton released early is because of this lol. Also heard that Panthers only ended up playing Burton at centre because of the Kikau thing, essentially wanted to play him in the team and show him he can be a success there to entice him to stay - dont think the media stuff around him staying was out of thin air, it was all from the Panthers. If I remember correctly their CEO even came out and said it.

Anyway, as I have said before. We are the real winners in this. Can't wait for next season lol.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Kikau is overrated? He almost never plays 80 minutes, is extremely inconsistent and goes missing almost as much as She-Rex did. If he wasn't playing for such a good team, he'd be exposed badly.

I reckon Capewell is a much more reliable and better all round player even if Kikau is more damaging with his runs.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Who told you about Kikau? I've known about that since the start of this year. Has been a 2 way dialogue for a while now, part of the reason why Panthers are being ***** about releasing Naden and said no to Burton released early is because of this lol. Also heard that Panthers only ended up playing Burton at centre because of the Kikau thing, essentially wanted to play him in the team and show him he can be a success there to entice him to stay - dont think the media stuff around him staying was out of thin air, it was all from the Panthers. If I remember correctly their CEO even came out and said it.

Anyway, as I have said before. We are the real winners in this. Can't wait for next season lol.
I first saw it on alic's post and then asked about it recently and was told Kikau and Paulo

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are in the position of needing some experience and quality due to the complete inept handling of our roster over the 2 past Boards and coaches' tenure.

Both had excuses.

This new admin seem better, but only marginally, with some very average signings (so far) and more excuses.

It's going to take years and we are in the position of needing to get the best available, in their position, whenever they are available.

There's not many forwards or a 9 that are going to fall into our lap but there is a 7 who can help the team and our new 6 coming next year.

We may need to wait for Smith. As usual we get the long drawn out protracted gossip news for us fans with so called negotiations.

What I'm saying is we cant have anymore duds who dont pull their weight. We need quality but we might have to wait.

9 is our priority but we dont want a Kenny or Rein to fill a hole.

We are better waiting and trying Deitz and JMK for one year but getting SJ in the halves in the meantime. Our policy should be suffer the pain while waiting but wait till the right player becomes available..not 4th-6th best. We might have tp front load if we havent spent 95% of sc for a few years till we are set up correctly to be fully competitive.

Burton (and SJ) will make a big difference.

This team will have to be rebuilt over a few years to get the forwards who will make a difference. Its no good thinking 2008. Recruiting half a team in one year isn't going to happen in 2021. Every other team is after quality as well.

We can only hope these guys in charge get it right from now on.

Let's hope some decent questions are asked at the Members meeting at the end of the month!
I couldn't agree more. The trouble with changing boards, coaches and admin as regularly as we have over the past 5 years or so, only puts us further behind, as each new board has different ideas and opinions on who is a good for for the club, as does the coach. So by the same token, we really need to let Baz and this current board ride it out until they have assembled the team they want. Otherwise we just keep slipping further and further behind.
I agree, JMK and maybe Dietz, should be plugging our hooker role if we can only get Smith in 2023. But we need more quality in the halves with Burton, and Averilo should be moved to FB sooner rather then later. Even if it means Flange or Lewis play fg this year. This being said, its only the case if we are to land Johnson next year.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chance this gets announced today? Could do with a bit of good news from the club instead of the social media 'which highlight is your favourite?' videos that have to include Bryson Goodwin because we've had no highlights for 6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.