‘We would get our a**e kicked’: Legend calls out Dogs pack for failing to protect No.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘We would get our a**e kicked’: Legend calls out Dogs pack for failing to protect No.7
BULLDOGS

Simon Brunsdon

Kyle Flanagan of the Bulldogs.
Kyle Flanagan of the Bulldogs.Source: Getty Images

Rugby league legend Mark Geyer believes young Canterbury halfback Kyle Flanagan hasn’t “done himself any favours” by highlighting the attention he copped from opposition forwards in a trial game at the weekend.

The 22-year-old halfback helped lead the Bulldogs to a 16-12 trials victory over his former club Cronulla on Saturday.
But he then told media he wasn’t a fan of some treatment from one-time teammate Wade Graham during the contest.

“Wade Graham was trying to take my head off on the weekend,” Flanagan said.
It prompted his Bulldogs teammate and backrower Adam Elliott to declare he will take it upon himself to better protect Flanagan during the NRL season.
But Geyer was confused by the entire story.
“It’s a funny one. I don’t know whether young Flanagan just put a bigger target on his head by saying this,” Geyer told Triple M’s The Rush Hour.

“We all know rugby league is a game of bash and barge, the utmost aggression. My role when I was playing was trying to get my hands on the opposing halfback as much as I could, because that would stop their attack... their kicking game.

“It’s a bizarre story because I don’t know what you get out of it. I don’t know what you get out of Adam Elliott coming out and saying ‘we’re going to be guard dogs’, that goes without saying.

“When I played at Penrith back in the day, (Greg) Brandy Alexander was like a god to us, if some other forward laid their hands on Brandy then we hadn’t done our job, and we would get our arse kicked from here to Broken Hill.

“This has been going on for 115 years, the halfbacks are always targeted.
“I don’t know if Kyle Flanagan has done himself any favours by saying ‘Wade Graham was trying to knock my head off’ because that’s his job, that’s his job. He’s not doing his job if he’s not trying to knock the playmaker’s head off.”

Geyer says the best teams in the NRL competition generally have a forward pack that helps protect the playmakers in the side.

In fact, he only had to look to last year’s grand final to highlight how important it is for forwards to shield the halfback.

“I think the two grand final teams from last year, Penrith and Melbourne, that’s why they were in a grand final - their halfbacks basically played the season in dinner suits,” he said, insinuating the playmakers in those teams were able to escape being battered by the opposition.

“Trent Barrett should have a good perspective on that because he was the attacking coach for the Panthers, so he knows how to keep his playmakers out of harm’s way.
“I don’t know whether it’s a ploy from the Dogs to get referees looking at Dogs playmakers a little bit more than others.”

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s a smart statement as the refs will be looking out for it more now and we will get more penalties. A lot of smart coaches make statements like that in grand final week. Plant the seed

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s a smart statement as the refs will be looking out for it more now and we will get more penalties. A lot of smart coaches make statements like that in grand final week. Plant the seed
Agree. Not sure why so many people are talking about it tbh.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree. Not sure why so many people are talking about it tbh.
I remember Joey used to say it, Thurston did, Cronk did, Adam Reynolds & others have made it an issue too. The media don’t have much to say until kick off now I guess

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Probably if Geyer had noticed, he would have seen some of the late(ish) hits from Thug Graham.

Sutton certainly only saw one. There were more.

Flanno prob needs to stand a bit deeper also and it highlighted he's our only point of our kick attack.

Our flaws were exposed, so they can be fixed and that is the purpose of trials.

Our forwards are on notice now so all good and the spine need to step up with game management.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember Joey used to say it, Thurston did, Cronk did, Adam Reynolds & others have made it an issue too. The media don’t have much to say until kick off now I guess
100% agree. Just writing for the sake of writing really.

Think it also makes the opposition play at our #7 more potentially leaving space for other players to leave their mark. Flannagan does all the kicking ... so they always rush him but you'd hope that Barrett starts getting other players to chip in now and then also.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
100% agree. Just writing for the sake of writing really.

Think it also makes the opposition play at our #7 more potentially leaving space for other players to leave their mark. Flannagan does all the kicking ... so they always rush him but you'd hope that Barrett starts getting other players to chip in now and then also.
Burton :grinning:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think what Flanno said, what Elliott said or what Geyer said will make any difference. Geyer played in the 90’s and Brandy was targeted and in 2021 Flanno will be targeted. No coach needs media articles to point this out.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Elliot is a solid defender but we need a hit man next to Flanno. Like a Tony Carrol style tackler. Maybe if Corey Alan can kick also it will be handy.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elliot is a solid defender but we need a hit man next to Flanno. Like a Tony Carrol style tackler. Maybe if Corey Alan can kick also it will be handy.
Definitely need a second choice kicker, this is where the top teams excel. They don't just have two halves that can kick but more times than not they have a hooker with a very handy kicking game.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely need a second choice kicker, this is where the top teams excel. They don't just have two halves that can kick but more times than not they have a hooker with a very handy kicking game.
Yeah a kicking hooker would be unreal. Just don’t think we have one in our stocks at the moment. JMK used to be a halfback so you’d think he would have had to do a bit of kicking.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think what Flanno said, what Elliott said or what Geyer said will make any difference. Geyer played in the 90’s and Brandy was targeted and in 2021 Flanno will be targeted. No coach needs media articles to point this out.
I think so...round 1 game on..!!!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The really late hit from Graham that we got a penalty for would have been a 10 minute sin bin in a regular game and maybe even on report.