‘We have so many piss-ups’: Brandon Smith reveals ‘massive drinking culture’ at Storm

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You make it sound like we won convincingly and ganecwas wrapped up with 30mins to go....

Must i remind you we had a Minichello obstructuon go our way, not to mention last gasp tackle by Ryan to kill the play onnthe buzzer?

We won and no-one can say we didnt derseve it, but it was hardly a convincing win or one that couldnt have easily gone the other way....
The Minichiello obstruction was clear as light - even Sterlo point it out and if you look at the replay it was obvious.

Looking at the bigger picture though, we finished equal with the chooks and only lost on for and against, but we had a tougher draw than they did and didn't let them score a single point in the 2nd half, where as we scored 2 tries.

Also they won EVERY GAME that season where they lead at halftime. Against us the lead by 7 but lost.

I'm not saying we won convincingly, but at the end of the day, given our second half brick wall defense and everything we had gone through that season, we were not going to let that one get away.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
lol you've obviously never heard of the Matty Johns Pod cast? They do all the above every week and it's a top rating pod cast.
If I wanted to get dumber, I'd stick a pencil up my nose, Fam. I'm far from a fan of Matty Johns. When Cheezel retires, he can say whatever he wants on podcasts. I'm sure it will get him lots of subscribers, or whatever podcasters get. But it won't help grow the game that currently pays him his salary. There are several reasons why more and more kids are playing soccer these days. So called larrikins like Cheezel and Matty Johns and the image they project are one of them. Good luck to you with that guy. He's trouble....and don't think it's a case of sour grapes, because I have been saying it all along. Namaste

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least he is honest and up front rather then have all the publications making up bullshit articles everyday about where he is going . The whole drinking culture happens in every team like it or not it happens and the occasion Omo getting used happens all the time.
Look at who is managing his content Yktr media another outlet looking to boost there own rep

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wanted to get dumber, I'd stick a pencil up my nose, Fam. I'm far from a fan of Matty Johns. When Cheezel retires, he can say whatever he wants on podcasts. I'm sure it will get him lots of subscribers, or whatever podcasters get. But it won't help grow the game that currently pays him his salary. There are several reasons why more and more kids are playing soccer these days. So called larrikins like Cheezel and Matty Johns and the image they project are one of them. Good luck to you with that guy. He's trouble....and don't think it's a case of sour grapes, because I have been saying it all along. Namaste
Pencil up the nose quote is gold LOL

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
bulldogs were once a drinking club with RL problem and did ok.....

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Brandon Smith has revealed drinking is “a massive part of the culture” at the Melbourne Storm in an explosive tell-all interview.
Smith detailed a wild drinking story involving Dale Finucane and said club legend Cameron Smith “loves a beer”.

It was all inside the 56-minute YKTR Sports podcast which has landed Smith in hot water this week.

Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.

The Storm and the NRL are fuming with the hooker’s behaviour, and his public defection to the Roosters could see Melbourne cut ties with him.

Smith will join the Roosters in 2023 after reportedly deciding on the move without talking to Melbourne, despite promising to give the club final bidding rights.

The NRL is investigating the explosive podcast and Smith is expected to be fined for swearing profusely on the show.

Here’s the most interesting parts from Smith on the Storm in the podcast.

DRINKING CULTURE

Smith revealed the Storm train hard and play even harder - both on and off the field.

The Kiwi larrikin said the heavy drinking culture at the club helps build camaraderie.

“We have so many piss-ups and it’s no secret that piss-ups build relationships, there’s a reason I was getting piss fit this whole time,” Smith said.

“Because you just start letting loose, you can talk and be yourself. At the Storm bro, drinking is a massive part of the culture.

“We had beer pong competition at my house and Scott Drinkwater, we were playing beer pong, Dale (Finucane) was blind, and Scott kept pouring vodka into his beer cups and he drank a bottle of vodka in 32 minutes, like a whole bottle and he was so pissed.

“He doesn’t realise how strong he is, he grabs you and just manhandles you around and 20 minutes later he’s got his shoe and he’s spewing into his shoe.”

ON CAMERON SMITH

Smith was perplexed as to why his former captain Cameron Smith is such a polarising figure in rugby league.

The future Immortal is considered in some NRL circles the greatest players of all time, but Smith’s character was often attacked throughout his illustrious career.

“He’s the man. I can’t understand how he gets (called) a sh*t person and all that, he’s the complete opposite,” Smith said.

“I have a really good relationship with his family and I’ve never seen him doing anything wrong, like nothing wrong.

“Everything is by the book. He’s one of those trainers who is not an outstanding trainer but he will do everything and never be tired and with gym it’s every rep.

“He loves a beer, like loves a beer, doesn’t do any of like (that) other sh*t. He’s just such a good dude.”

MUNSTER ON THE PUNT

The Storm squad have spent plenty of time on the road together over the past two years due to Covid and Smith said playing cards is constant feature.

The teammates play for cash and Smith ousted Cameron Munster as the worst punter in the team.

“I play a lot of cards, me and Christian Welch actually, I reckon we’re about to get hit up by the ATO because we just take that much cash off the boys,” Smith said.

“Cameron Munster, I reckon he’s give us a $1000 this year just on playing cards, he’s the worst.

“He gets so horny, because in 500 you get to pick up the middle and you don’t know what they are and bro he’ll just outcall you because he wants to see what’s there, he sucks.

“But he’s also the most tin-arsed bloke in the world.”

TIGHT-KNIT MELBOURNE

Melbourne is full players who have moved to a new city and Smith said it creates a unique team environment away from footy.

“Melbourne is unreal, the people there and all the players we all love each other because we’ve got no family in Melbourne, most of us,” Smith said.

“And all us young fellas, like everyone under 26, all live in Richmond, all live a 1km away from each other and we’re always hanging out with each other, every single day.

“And that’s pretty much how I grew up in Waiheke, it’s very homely there and I see it.

“Like when Harry (Grant) went to the Tigers he said they just don’t have that, don’t have that bond because everyone lives so far away from each other, so it’s so much different.”

Originally published as ‘We have so many piss-ups’: Brandon Smith reveals ‘massive drinking culture’ at Storm
Wow.........dodged a bullet. Don't care how good the bloke may be..... always had reservations about him and this has just topped it off.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After his benders the last few years does anyone else think Brandon is responsible for this massive drinking culture in Melbourne??

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Honesty is fine when u are revealing truths about yourself, I think the problem starts when u reveal other people's truths, that they may not want public

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No doubt footy players get up to all sorts, hit the piss hard, probably dabble in other stuff, hookers whatever....
But when your filmed sitting in front of coke with people you dont know(or trust) acting like a big shot, when your running your mouth about how hard you party and worse still, how individual team mates do, Im not surprised now that the media are starting to target him.
Some say all publicity is good and ego can fuel a desire to be the best but than you can take things too far.
These types usually get found out in the public arena and once the flood gates open they can be their own worst enemy.
Im glad we didnt sign him.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't understand the point of divulging all of this stuff in the media, bellyache and the storm admin must be filthy. Its going to be interesting to see how that massive ego fits in at the roosters.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smith back at storm training today. Beers are on afterwards hey.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even when it was talked about an hyped up… I Never wanted this flog in a doggies jersey. EVER!!! Great talent or not, he’s a fair dinkum twat.

Malla

Reaction score
He's a flog
YKTR are flogs
Match made in heaven

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bulldogs need to get sloshed straight away, look what it did for the Storm.