News ‘Wasn’t going to sack him’: Phil Gould says Trent Barrett made decision to quit in ‘raw’ phone call

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould has revealed the “raw” and emotional phone call he had with Trent Barrett prior to his resignation on Sunday night.

The Bulldogs general manager of football only weeks ago put his full support behind Barrett stating Channel 9’s 100% Footy: “Trent Barrett will be the coach of the Bulldogs long after I’m gone – long after I’m gone.”

But after Barrett quit his post on Monday following a poor performance against the Knights and an emergency club meeting, Gould told to the media Barrett felt like he “didn’t have the solutions” needed to turn the club around.

“It was Trent’s decision. I certainly wasn’t going to sack him. It’s sad it’s come to this,” Gould said on Monday.

“I think the performances and pressure, he got the feeling he didn’t have the solutions for what was going wrong.

“When a coach loses his job like this, or is forced to feel he has to resign, we all feel like we have failed.”

Gould revealed he and Barrett had a lengthy conversation in which Barrett was “raw” about his feelings about his job.

“That’s how he felt at the time. He made the decision on Sunday night. It was a rollercoaster through Saturday and Sunday. Late last night after I had finished the commentary on Nine, we had a long discussion, it was a very difficult discussion, it was pretty raw, he poured his heart out a bit, and he put his heart into this job,” Gould said.

sad the way it has ended. Hopefully he finds a bit of respite now and a bit of peace.

“He wanted to end the speculation and any pressure on the board to make a decision, so he took it upon himself (to resign).”

Barrett lasted only 18 months of his three-year deal at the Canterbury Bankstown club, but Gould backed him for bigger and better things.

“He’s as good a young coach I’ve seen coming through the system, he’s just been in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Gould said.
“He’s taken on big jobs because he backs himself and he’s very confident in his own ability. He works extremely hard - he’s the most hard-working young coach I’ve seen.

“He put his heart and soul into it, he gave his best, but he said, ‘I can’t see a way clear now, and I don’t want the club to suffer’, so he made the decision himself.”

Now, Gould has the job of bringing in an interim head coach, revealing he will internally appoint someone to take over the role by Wednesday.

The Bulldogs released a statement on Monday thanking Barrett for his efforts as head coach, which included recruiting a number of big names including Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr, Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney.

“We would sincerely like to thank Trent for all of his hard work and effort over the past 18 months in what has been a very difficult time for the Club,” the statement read.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel for Baz. I really wanted him to succed. He is a great guy, and represented the club well. Unfortunately he just couldnt get the team performing well. I just hope to fucking god that whoever takes over for the remainder of the year can fire the boys up and get some wins on the board. Otherwise, we will struggle to recruit and or retain players.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz tried his guts out was plain to see but when you have players like
Dufty
Wadell
Marshall limited capabilities
Braydon burnes
Flan the gun not
Wakeham
Averillo
Okunbor
Naden
Thompson
TPJ
Allan

many of these guys at some point had the covid dropsies and killed us individually in many games .
They need to take a good look at themselves in the mirror.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I feel for Baz. I really wanted him to succed. He is a great guy, and represented the club well. Unfortunately he just couldnt get the team performing well. I just hope to fucking god that whoever takes over for the remainder of the year can fire the boys up and get some wins on the board. Otherwise, we will struggle to recruit and or retain players.
I think his ceiling is assistant coach tbh

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That display against Newcastle on Friday night was disgraceful. He just hasnt got it in him.
I still stand my ground and say the players sent a message to the board and the board heard it.

We suck but not like that...

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
I still stand my ground and say the players sent a message to the board and the board heard it.

We suck but not like that...
It was like a bunch of blokes got together at the park and played. Probably the worst performance ever.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not good whichever way you look at club has gone down the tube

I think most were willing him to succeed but obviously didn’t have the talent to turn this cluster fk of a club around

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This seems to be a massaged version of events:

If you combine the hacks and Gus:

- Barrett is on the cans in Port Mac yesterday and had no idea about anything until he sees it on Fox Sports.

- Barrett and Gus have a long conversation and Barrett decides to resign (Gus won’t sack him).

- Within a few hours a $500k termination package is negotiated and settled.

Please. Barrett knew on Friday night it was all over. The way he conducted the presser it was obvious.
This didn’t come out of the blue after the loss to the Noughts and most people are smart enough to see through the spin and bullshit. That said I wish him well.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What shits me is that it all falls back on the coach. Players have less and less accountability these days.
The players we cut will find homes elsewhere. Look at Garfield, red headed cat played like dog shit with us for 3 years and ends up in the super league.
Barrett won’t coach in first grade again.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Article after article. It’s done .. tents gone !!!

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score

- Barrett is on the cans in Port Mac yesterday and had no idea about anything until he sees it on Fox Sports.

- Barrett and Gus have a long conversation and Barrett decides to resign (Gus won’t sack him).

Please. Barrett knew on Friday night it was all over. The way he conducted the presser it was obvious.
This didn’t come out of the blue after the loss to the Noughts and most people are smart enough to see through the spin and bullshit. That said I wish him well.
I suppose you think the earth is flat as well

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

In retrospect Baz screaming down the walkie-talkie is something I’ve never seen him do in his short tenure here

Maybe he was told beat the knights or ya gone

And maybe the players intercepted the message and said later bro

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In retrospect Baz screaming down the walkie-talkie is something I’ve never seen him do in his short tenure here

Maybe he was told beat the knights or ya gone

And maybe the players intercepted the message and said later bro
A few possibilities and we’ll probably never know the full truth but no way I believe the way it’s been spun.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Goodbye Baz, worst permanent coach this club will hopefully ever see