News ‘They have a losing problem’: Gould’s huge task to turn the Bulldogs around in 2022

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs General Manager Phil Gould has pulled no punches about the state of the club over the last five seasons, claiming they have a ‘loosing problem’.

The former Panthers and Warriors manager has welcomed the huge task of bringing the Canterbury-Bankstown club back to it’s former glory.

Already having made a number of big-name signings, Gould stressed that the club doesn’t have a salary cap problem.

“The Bulldogs don’t have a salary cap problem, they have a losing problem,” he explained on SEN’s Breakfast with Vossy.

“They have only won six games in the last two years and that puts pressure on your salary cap, that puts pressure on people to perform.

“That is only natural in any club, so what we have to do is find winning players and winning combinations and get the club out of the cellar and back into a competitive mindset.”

Bulldogs last finals appearance came in 2016, and since then they have finished higher than 12th, with a wooden spoon being handed to the club in 2021.

“I was under no illusions about how big the job was going to be,” Gould said.

“You don’t have the sort of form that (the Bulldogs) have had over the last four to five years without a number of issues.

John Khoury and his board have worked very hard over the last 12 months.

“He’s done a lot of work in preparation for my arrival.

“A lot of the internal issues have been resolved.”

Coach Trent Barrett arrived at the end of 2020, fresh off helping Penrith to the grand final as an assistant, and he immediately went on a signing spree.

Barrett landed Panthers trio Matt Burton, Tevita Pangai Jr and Brent Naden, Dragons duo Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan and Storm superstar Josh Addo-Carr for the 2022 season.

Then after Gould’s return to the Dogs in July, Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau have also signed on for the 2023 season.

When asked who excited him the most, Gould said: “I am excited about them all,” before explaining that the club “just wants to improve.”

“We were clearly the least performing team in the competition over the last couple of years, we had struggles scoring points and we had trouble stopping points,” Gould said.

“We just want to give something for our fans to cheer for, we want something for them to be proud of and I am sure the boys will do that, I am sensing a real spirit there at the moment which is pleasing.”

Gould also reflected on the criticism the club have received over the past years.

“I kept saying to all the staff… everyone gets judged by that scoreboard on Sunday when the first-grade team plays,” Gould said.

“It is unfair very often for all the work that they do, but that’s the reality of being in the NRL.

“If that scoreboard is not right on the weekend, then the whole club gets judged.”

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats right a losing problem not a salary cap problem lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As bad as our roster has been the last few years, there's no doubt that the losing culture at the club and the poor attitude and standards set by the coaching staff and players during that time made things much worse.

Hopefully that mentality is gone with the influx of talent and players who have won premierships and finals games.. That along with Gus' influence will lead to a better culture at the club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Excerpt:
"John Khoury and his board have worked very hard over the last 12 months.

“He’s done a lot of work in preparation for my arrival.
A lot of the internal issues have been resolved.”

Hmmmmgh....plans afoot for some time to resolve the Anderson issue?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The title is Very correct in recent years. But we will get rid of that in 22.!!

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its been a massive turn around in recruitment and Gus played a big part of that, in the 22 season I hope the Dogs can actually win more games than they lose.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on you Gus he can see our problems. The rubbish we have put up with for years and now finally we can look forward to better years ahead.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The mentality and the overall vibe around the club has changed. When your use to loosing from personal experience when I was younger and playing a sport you feel desensitised to that feeling and it becomes a norm. Bringing player likes addo car who is use to winning, Burton who just won a premiership will kill that loosing vibe around the club and will benefit our juniors to. Gould is 100% right happy he came along and not someone else who doesn’t care about the club and is there for a pay check.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
winning culture produce strong characters with associations to the club into the future. No doubt that winning impacts the kids following the club people in media in the years ahead and the list goes on.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We’ve won 6 games in the last 2 years? For some reason I never thought it was that dire - that really is digraceful!
Where have you been? Try finding a game we've won on any of the NRL replays.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould is wrong.

We don't have a losing problem. In fact, we find it quite easy to lose.

What we have is a winning problem.
How the f is Gus wrong and how the f do we have a winning problem when we don’t win any games doesn’t make sense

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
despite plenty of losses they were still competitive in a lot of games despite the average roster, the spirit was there.
In the end I still enjoyed watching knowing we would lose, the final Tigers game showed what it 'should' of been like.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Barrett’s the key. He needs to get the best out of a new team or the blow torch will be on him. Hopefully he can deliver and get us a winning record in 22.