News ‘The price of success for us’: Cleary gives blessing as Panthers resigned to losing Ciraldo

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has given his blessing for highly-touted assistant Cameron Ciraldo to leave the club.

Cleary appears all but resigned to the fact Ciraldo will depart at the end the season, with the Bulldogs widely tipped to secure his services.

Penrith assistant Andrew Webster has signed with the Warriors from next season but Cleary rejected reports Ciraldo has also put pen to paper with a rival club.

“It’s going to happen some day. (But) I can tell you for sure he hasn’t done anything yet,” Cleary said.

“I guess that’s the price of success for us, whether it’s players or coaches, as long as people are moving upwards not sideways you’ve got to be happy for them and I am, it just shows we must be doing something right.”

Cleary was asked in his post-match press conference on Saturday night if 37-year-old Ciraldo was ready for the rigours of being a head coach.

“He’s as ready as he’ll ever be. Some things you’ll never be ready for and head coaching is probably one of them but some people are more ready than others,” Cleary said.

“He’s definitely ready for this shot, he’s done his time but if he wants to do another year of assistant coaching we’ve certainly got a spot here.”

The comments came after Penrith clinched their 17th win of the season, defeating the Sharks 20-10 in a finals precursor.

It marked a ninth straight win for the Panthers - the fourth time they have done so since 2020 - and they’ve lost just one game this season.

The reigning premiers have only lost seven times since 2020 and have won 24 of their past 25 games at Penrith.

If the Wests Tigers defeat the Cowboys on Sunday afternoon, Penrith will be the first team since the Roosters in 1975 to lead the competition by 10 points.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question I want to know is Cameron ciraldo the ghost of Trent Barrett .
Will the five set hit ups make a return.
Will our mob be looking at the floors in dressing rooms at half time like they are somewhere else.
Ciraldo can coach is a myth unproven

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fmd this guy has no brain. Posts shit for the sale of it.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A full preseason under Ciraldo some of the players won't know what hit them. They had an easy ride being in and around the spoon battle year in year out.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question I want to know is Cameron ciraldo the ghost of Trent Barrett .
Will the five set hit ups make a return.
Will our mob be looking at the floors in dressing rooms at half time like they are somewhere else.
Ciraldo can coach is a myth unproven
Seriously dude trust in Gus....why would he be a coach in high demand...lets be positive

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOL Penrith acting like they have never signed players from stronger clubs in their history stfu

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
LOL Penrith acting like they have never signed players from stronger clubs in their history stfu
Penrith sky rocketed to everyone's most hated team and it wasn't just because they were successful. Don't think I've ever hated a club so quickly in any sport lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Penrith sky rocketed to everyone's most hated team and it wasn't just because they were successful. Don't think I've ever hated a club so quickly in any sport lol.
tumblr_otyo1w38Iv1wnk95eo1_1280.jpg

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember the days when everyone hated us , ahhh the good old days lol.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope me old mate Phil has a big say with the backroom staff with the nxt appointment

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. What happened to my 2nd team I used to feel sorry for hehe

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree. What happened to my 2nd team I used to feel sorry for hehe
Haha. Honestly there's just so much to dislike about them. Just in general so many of them come across as a bunch of *****. You've then had the May saga that said a whole about the club. Cleary walking out on the Tigers after blowing their cap and then mocking the Tigers fans. Luai being a fucking ****. The CEO always fucking crying and sounding like an entitled ****. Fucking **** fans. The Panthers acting like Hughes fucking killed someone when he sledged them. Also winning a Covid impacted comp and being massive cheats.

Yh, fuck them lol

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet Cleary is at home patting himself on the back and acting like the messiah of all coaches.

"Ohh yeah how good am I ... someone wants to sign my assistant coaches".

At least that's how it is coming across in that article.

My main concern about Ciraldo, is it has all the hallmarks of the TBaz signing.
1. Asst coached gets hyped as "being the saviour of Panthers attack/defence".
2. Ivan Cleary makes a song and dance giving his blessing and saying they'll be missed.
3. Dogs fans get super excited.
4. New coach tries the old "just do what I did at Panthers" trick.
5. Shit hits fan and new coach realises they actually need to coach the side differently.
6. Losses left right and centre.
7. New coach gets sacked, and fans get pissed off that its happened again.
8. Club says they need to do better, and vow they'll never employ a rookie coach again (all whilst eyeballing Panthers latest assistant coaches).

Rinse and repeat.

I'd love to be proven wrong with Ciraldo, but honestly if he's the man, I'm not instantly inspired with confidence.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith are very hateable now but they are building an enviable sporting culture. I always hated the way the All blacks smashed us on the field and then kicked us while we were down, for example by contemptuous put-downs in the media. On the other hand I loved seeing Steve Waugh's mob do the same to others. Virat Kholi is another ruthless prick that I hated as a sports fan, but admired greatly. Being ruthless is important for sustained success in sport and I hope it's not too long before we're in Penrith's shoes, saying, 'eat our dust you mob of try-hards', and never giving an inch.

The noise around Ciraldo coming from good footy heads, in terms of expectations of success as a head coach, is much more similar to Fitzgibbon than Barrett. The premier club doesn't pay $400g to an assistant unless they are a cut above, so I'm warming to this if it happens.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
True. But success definitely has something to do with the clubs we hate the most (i.e. Rorters, Manly).
I'm old enough to remember just how BAD Penrith were in their first 20 odd years in the comp.
Anyone wanna cast their mind back to when Len Stacker was coach in the late 70s? And Gus was their youngest ever club captain?
And everyone called them the 'Chocolate Soldiers'?

The wheel turns full circle. But sometimes it turns slowly...be patient, Dogs fans!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an interesting quote... "some people are more ready than others,”

If i read into this, Cleary thinks Barrett wasn't ready but Ciraldo is. Little dig maybe?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh good luck to him, seems overhyped for someone who isn't proven yet like another product out of Penrith we went through...