News ‘The old two-card trick’: How Gus ‘outplayed everyone’ in Ciraldo move as Dogs linked to Madge

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
taff Writers from Fox Sports
August 15th, 2022 9:55 pm
Michael Maguire may not be out of a job for long with the Bulldogs looking to add experience to their coaching staff after the appointment of rookie Cameron Ciraldo.

However Maguire is keeping his options open with reports he met with Eels head coach Brad Arthur.

The Bulldogs announced Ciraldo’s five-year deal on Sunday — a move that News Corp journalist Paul Kent has called “mind-boggling” given Anthony Seibold’s five-year deal with the Broncos “ended in tears.”

But Ciraldo may have a premiership-winning coach heading to Belmore to help him rebuild the club.

Kent acknowledged there’s “risk” in going all in on a rookie NRL coach but believes

“He will have Phil Gould there and that’s a real asset to have because he’s someone he can bounce ideas off,” he said.

“Ciraldo knows his footy but as we’ve seen the big problem with assistants going into the head coaching role is the other stuff like dealing with managers, trying to get your roster right, trying to get your salary cap right — and Phil Gould is going to handle that for him.”

But Kent raised the question of what has changed since Gould said after Trent Barrett’s axing that the Dogs’ next coach needs to be experienced.

He also wondered, however, if Gould just played “the old two-card trick.”

“What about Gould saying earlier in the year that Canterbury is a job for an experienced coach,” Kent said.

“What’s changed, I don’t know? Something has changed though.

“Shortly after Barrett was sacked he came out and advised Ciraldo to knock back the Tigers job, who also offered him five years and to stay at Penrith, he said Canterbury is a job for an experienced coach and all of a sudden Ciraldo is at Canterbury.

“Maybe it was the old two-card trick.”

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know about Madge but I do think we need an older head to complement CC in the coaching team given he is quite young.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Furner was suppose to help Barrett. Not sure this is the best move.
Mind you. Gus did similar things with Ricky at the Roosters. Hired him from Bulldogs under 20's I think, definitely Bulldogs maybe not 20's.
Then wins a comp with Gus's team

Malla

Reaction score
Ciraldo needs an expert in attack as his assistant.

Is Barrett looking for work?

Malla

Reaction score
Furner was suppose to help Barrett. Not sure this is the best move.
Mind you. Gus did similar things with Ricky at the Roosters. Hired him from Bulldogs under 20's I think, definitely Bulldogs maybe not 20's.
Then wins a comp with Gus's team
Yes

Gus wanted him to bring JT with him, Sticky said he could not do that to the Dogs as they gave him 2 years at the end of his career and a start in coaching. What a guy

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These c unts really have no idea. Gus doesn't give anything away and journos just do their best to try and keep up.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What’s changed, I don’t know? Something has changed though.
Nothing changed Kenty, you just got outsmarted by Gus who deflected attention away from his real target.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don’t see how Gus ‘outplayed’ everyone..he just didn’t tell the truth..as a result he got who he wanted..it was no mastermind effort..

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Least we’ve given ‘Khent’ something to talk about for a couple of episodes on NRL360