News ‘The boys got a huge kick out of it’: Steve Mortimer’s special visit to inspire Bulldogs

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully Turvey will get better and if he’s a member of the Kennel and reads all these best wishes - that will make him feel better. Amazing player, didn’t stop trying - the best cover tackler when going around an opponents ankles. His kick and chase wasn’t too bad either, Bulldog Legend who will always be remembered.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
for my 7th birthday in 1985 i got a birthday card signed by Steve Mortimer,
someone in my family asked him for the autograph and he happily obliged, true champion
Yes I asked for one for our son as well :grinning:

I'm so torn on our Clubs GOAT but think its the right thing to split it.

GOAT HALFBACK
GOAT 5/8

They both deserve every accolade the game, club and fans hold for them.

In retrospect it's so patently obvious that Turvey was dudded by the Australian and NSW selectors.

Not bagging Peter Stirling, he was a great player and bloke, but as time marches on, Turvey's legacy with the Bulldogs, NSW and robbed stint with the Kangaroos, will more than stand the test of time between the two.

Last edited:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I asked for one for our son as well :grinning:

I'm so torn on our Clubs GOAT but think its the right thing to split it.

GOAT HALFBACK
GOAT 5/8

They both deserve every accolade the game, club and fans hold for them.

In retrospect it's so patently obvious that Turvey was dudded by the Australian and NSW selectors.

Not bagging Peter Stirling, he was a great player and bloke, but as time marches on, Turvey's legacy with the Bulldogs, NSW and robbed stint with the Kangaroos, will more than stand the test of time between the two.
>"In retrospect it's so patently obvious that Turvey was dudded by the Australian and NSW selectors."
So true. NSW never won an Origin series until Turvey was captain. When I last checked the stats many years ago I'm pretty sure Turvey had higher win % at Origin than Sterlo as well.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they make him an immortal soon.
I might be biased but Turvey should have been the first man picked as an Immortal if that whole thing was legit. Played in 6 GF, 4 premierships, first man to captain NSW to Origin series win, supreme halfback and leader, lightning acceleration, chip and regather almost at will, greatest cover tackler of all time, created, scored and save too many tries to count. Dogs have won 8 GF in about 86 years in the comp and half of those were in Turvey's 13 years at the club. The career GF stats of so called "GOATS" Thurston and John don't come close to Turvey.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Greatest Halves combination of Rugby League at least since the 1970's. Out of their 5 years together the Dogs made 4 GF and won 3 Premierships. I can't think of any halves combination with that strike rate % of GF and Premierships.
Before Turvey's Entertainers the Dogs only won 2 GF in 40 odd years. Since Turvey retired the Dogs have only won 2 GF in 32 years despite having an awesome forward pack for the majority of that time. That tells you alone the impact Turvey had on the club and the team.

Last edited:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So was I, it was surreal it was magic...This is how it all unfolded for me,
I was a teenager on the 1st train from Campsie to Central, a bloke on the train asked where was I off to so early, I replied to the Grand Final I'm meeting my mates who are there already, you are mad he said and you are going to lose and laughed declaring he is a St George fan ( Typical ).
When I got to the SCG thousands of fans were there at the gate luckily I found my mates, the place was buzzing but there was major delays for the gates to open, the crowd got very rowdy throwing foods cans and bottles of drink luckily I found a milk crate I used it to protect my head eventually the place turned into a stampede suddenly The Gates of Heaven were forced open allowing the fans to stream through.
What followed was the most amazing and magical day of football ever, I witnessed our reserve grade beat Arthur Beatson and his Parramatta reserve grade, The history making two sets of three brothers the Mortimers and the Hugheses in one team in a grand final, one of the greatest tries ever scored in a grand final by Steve Gearin and the greatest player ever Steve Turvey Mortimer not only preforming his magic also making Three try saving cover tackles...One for the Father one for the Son one for the Holy spirit and we all said Amen as Belmore exploded in celebrations :innocent::grinning::tearsofjoy:
Who missed out ? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
>"Three try saving cover tackle"
I saw the 80 GF on tv and remember those tackles. In 79 GF Turvey saved at 3 tries as well and possibly more including running down fellow legend Steve Morris who had a running head start. He ran down Morris again in the 85 GF to save us and win the Churchill Medal equivalent. As you said, Turvey's not just our GOAT he's Rugby Leagues true GOAT.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I might be biased but Turvey should have been the first man picked as an Immortal if that whole thing was legit. Played in 6 GF, 4 premierships, first man to captain NSW to Origin series win, supreme halfback and leader, lightning acceleration, chip and regather almost at will, greatest cover tackler of all time, created, scored and save too many tries to count. Dogs have won 8 GF in about 86 years in the comp and half of those were in Turvey's 13 years at the club. The career GF stats of so called "GOATS" Thurston and John don't come close to Turvey.
AMEN!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw it live and remember Steve, Chris and Peter do the lap of honour with their then young children:

View attachment 48858
What a fantastic day I’ll never forget catching the train from Canterbury to Central Station.
The SCG was dominated by dogs supporters it went crazy at full time, overwhelming tbh only a young teenager pretty sure I started crying lol
I’m still sobbing at our games years later but for different reasons.