News ‘Super sub’: Cameron Ciraldo explains why Connor Tracey won the fullback spot and how he plans on unleashing Blake Taaffe

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All the good plays he did was more like a halfback than a fullback.
His speed around the ruck could be a real asset.. halves who can beat defenders just with their pace always have an advantage.. thinking Keary in his prime, Cody Walker, Mitch Moses.. all of those guys are highky skilled, but their pace just makes them that extra bit harder to defend against.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His speed around the ruck could be a real asset.. halves who can beat defenders just with their pace always have an advantage.. thinking Keary in his prime, Cody Walker, Mitch Moses.. all of those guys are highky skilled, but their pace just makes them that extra bit harder to defend against.
The exact reason why opposition's defenders back off Hutch, he doesn't threaten their line of defence, the reason why his support players are always easlly marked.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The exact reason why opposition's defenders back off Hutch, he doesn't threaten their line of defence, the reason why his support players are always easlly marked.
Yeah like when he does spot a good hole, he never gets through.. I do wonder if he'd serve us better at lock and just have Salmon come off the bench.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next minute.... CC throws his usual spanner in the works-

Ciraldo names his run on side 1 hour prior to kick off, names Taaffe at lock and Curran goes back to the bench and King comes in for Hayward.

1. Connor Tracey But plays 7.
Jacob Kiraz
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Drew Hutchison But plays 13.
Samuel Hughes
9.Reed Mahoney
10. Chris Patolo
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jaeman Salmon
17. Blake Taaffe But he plays 1.

. Josh Curran 15. Poasa Faamausili 16. Kurtis Morrin 22. Max King

19. Toby Sexton

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope he can be transitioned to half back as a playmaker with a fast running game. I feel he has it in him. I agree defensively he won't be as as solid as the bigger blokes but it can be worked on and hopefully he's attacking contributions can outweigh his defensive skills.

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We will see what the side is Sunday, but a bench that contains Haywood, Morrin and Taffe is improbable, even a bench containing both Haywood and Taffe is unlikely. Changes will be made whether King or Sexton play or not, Haywood and Taffe cannot both start from the bench. I think one of them will drop out of the 17 come Sunday, I would prefer he retains Haywood as he is more like Kurt Mann than Taffe is.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure number 2 and number 5 are wingers
You missed the word “substitute”, as in if a winger gets injured during the game he can fill in. That’s a long way from being selected as a starting winger.

Always a Bulldog

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Something I've quoted may times before and that is
If we have better attacking options we score more automatically it will take enormous of pressure of the defence,
Less defence means less pressure on the more attacking oriented halfback,
Also means it allows good defenders to cover more for the weaker defenders,
It's a chain reaction effect !
Indeed it is a momentum game. Given our defense has reached this level and the attack is improving, this momentum has begun.
The fact we are so fit and can maintain that level of defence for most of the game, means as you mention, our attack clicks to another level and suddenly, we do not get gassed and our defense easily manages a rock solid performance for 80 mins.

the error rates are always the achilles heel though - if we get more confident - the errors will reduce as we stop overthinking and being impatient and pushing impossible plays without a strong feel for those actions.

I like where we are headed a lot - its consistent too and everyone has bought into the process. This year is a relief!

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah like when he does spot a good hole, he never gets through.. I do wonder if he'd serve us better at lock and just have Salmon come off the bench.
Yes, but does Mick Potter have room for both in his team, given the talent that becomes available are junior reps conclude. Ron Massey Cup maybe?

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more and more I think about it, I can’t see Ciraldo dropping Hutchinson at all. It is what it is. He’ll persist with him all season. I think King comes in and Hayward drops out unfortunately for Sunday. Taaffe will remain on bench imo.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The more and more I think about it, I can’t see Ciraldo dropping Hutchinson at all. It is what it is. He’ll persist with him all season. I think King comes in and Hayward drops out unfortunately for Sunday. Taaffe will remain on bench imo.
No Ciraldo said in the first presser of the year that Sexton will get his chance.
Wait until Sg Ball finishes.