News ‘Smart’ footballs to rule on forward passes as NRL plans to revolutionise how games are officiated

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just get the micro penis ***** in the VAR box over to draw a few random lines and zoom into the nearest pixel to rule on a forward pass.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like stoppages to increase advertising revenue, more 15 second add breaks = more dollars

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like others have said its offside that bugs me the most and the lazy/extended 10m depending who the ref likes.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not good enough that it goes into the ref's ear, it should notify all the fans to through a light/buzzer to keep the ref's honest.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of forward passes are let go, as well as a lot of normal passes are called back for being forward. I don't have an issue with this, but I also don't care if it's minimally forward, I'd prefer they only rule on blatant forward passes. Maybe the officials/bunker need to use some more common sense.
If it’s forward it’s forward doesn’t matter if it’s 10cm or 1m....pass the thing back it’s not that hard!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why don't the shit c***s just copy the NFL and superimpose a line on the field?

It's not rocket science.
Because a ball that travels forward could of been generated by forward momentum, but not an attempt to pass it forward.

That's the issue with the officiating of forward passes.

If all balls that travelled forward were called forward, it would be a simpler process. But any physicist will tell you, if you are running at 20km an hour, and pass the ball in a direction (aimed backwards), there is a strong likelihood that it could travel forward as you are moving with considerable momentum. Many balls can be thrown backwards, but travel forwards due to this circumstance. Also - the ball is almost an oblong shape, so momentum plays an even further role here depending on what part of the ball the force is applied when a pass is executed (ie - if you "cup" the ball with your hands and pass, the pointy parts of the ball will carry more force, momentum and direction of how the pass travels).

It's quite technical, but the short of it is - this technology needs to determine whether a ball goes forward milliseconds after it has left the hands of a player. My worry is, some ball start out looking forward, but the shape of the ball and other factors come into play which make it go back... will that be applied here?

Either way - it's one of those things in league where we try to overcomplicated a process, and hope that technology will simplify it. Another failure in the pipeline.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Because a ball that travels forward could of been generated by forward momentum, but not an attempt to pass it forward.

That's the issue with the officiating of forward passes.

If all balls that travelled forward were called forward, it would be a simpler process. But any physicist will tell you, if you are running at 20km an hour, and pass the ball in a direction (aimed backwards), there is a strong likelihood that it could travel forward as you are moving with considerable momentum. Many balls can be thrown backwards, but travel forwards due to this circumstance. Also - the ball is almost an oblong shape, so momentum plays an even further role here depending on what part of the ball the force is applied when a pass is executed (ie - if you "cup" the ball with your hands and pass, the pointy parts of the ball will carry more force, momentum and direction of how the pass travels).

It's quite technical, but the short of it is - this technology needs to determine whether a ball goes forward milliseconds after it has left the hands of a player. My worry is, some ball start out looking forward, but the shape of the ball and other factors come into play which make it go back... will that be applied here?

Either way - it's one of those things in league where we try to overcomplicated a process, and hope that technology will simplify it. Another failure in the pipeline.
Explained well and I agree my bro.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its like putting reverse cameras, lane sensors in cars. Allowing people to get auto license only etc. It just breads dumb fucks on our roads that dont have the basic instincts of say, knowing how to merge in traffic.
Refs go to the bunker now when ever they need to make a decision.
Wish theyd just leave reffing to the refs. Let them grown some balls and make the calls. Fuck the bunker, theyre useless pricks too. If theyre not up to it fuck them off and give someone else a go.
Surely Cam Smith will retire from playing in the next 10 years, perhaps he should have a crack.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely Cam Smith will retire from playing in the next 10 years, perhaps he should have a crack.
He's the biggest farkin offender, at least once in every 6 tackle set he passes forward from dummy half, often it's multiple times in the same set.
Even my wife says "how come he's allowed to get away with it?", answer "he's the goat and never does anything wrong".

Go Dogs

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's the biggest farkin offender, at least once in every 6 tackle set he passes forward from dummy half, often it's multiple times in the same set.
Even my wife says "how come he's allowed to get away with it?", answer "he's the goat and never does anything wrong".

Go Dogs
Therefore he should know a forward pass when he sees one:smirk:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Therefore he should know a forward pass when he sees one:smirk:
He doesn't acknowledge any of his as being forward passes, but he is a hypocrite so would probably pick up everyone elses.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ball will be smarter than half the players.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes less is more and in this case the game seriously needs to take a step back from technology. And remember that there was less issues with the game when it was less micromanaged in every aspect. Just call it as
You see it without 30 lines men and video bunkers. Train and inform the refs and don’t use corrupt refs and let one ref dictate the game on how he sees it. And if need being have a video ref only for try’s or professional fouls or shit like that.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to keep add more ways to cheat and corrupt the game. Pull it back a little. The worse thing to ever happen to the game was going to bed with the bedding agency’s.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sometimes less is more and in this case the game seriously needs to take a step back from technology. And remember that there was less issues with the game when it was less micromanaged in every aspect. Just call it as
You see it without 30 lines men and video bunkers. Train and inform the refs and don’t use corrupt refs and let one ref dictate the game on how he sees it. And if need being have a video ref only for try’s or professional fouls or shit like that.
The problem is the video coverage (by FTA and pay TV) is ever expanding, there are 20 plus cameras at every game and most can capture in 8k at ultra high frame rates. There is not much that goes on on the field that is missed and they just love showing ref's, linespersons', anyone's errors on repeat, complain, replay, bitch, repeat, moan, replay, demand changes, ad intenitum. The days of 1970's refereeing are long gone, squashed by the 2000's broadcasting technology and hammered into the ground every decade since.

Go Dogs

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The NRL is investigating new technology involving the placement of microchips in footballs which could enable match officials to rule instantly on forward passes and other controversial decisions instantly.

Initial discussions have commenced with an English-based company with hopes of testing the technology as soon as possible. The NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley has had early talks with the company with Annesley declaring the technology as “the most promising development of its type I have seen”.
Discussions are still in the early stages with a lot of detail yet to be determined. Pending Commission approval and successful testing the earliest the technology would be introduced would be in 2022.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Microchips in footballs could be the way forward for rugby league.

Microchips in footballs could be the way forward for rugby league.
“I’m encouraged by the discussions and I’ve had a number of meetings with the company but there is a long way to go,” Annesley said.
“It’s not just a matter of me being comfortable the technology, once I have all the necessary information the Commission needs to be fully briefed so it can evaluate the costs against the intended benefits to ensure any proposal would deliver value for money for the game’s stakeholders.
“We also need to further explore how it may be possible to offset some of these costs by generating revenue from a broader use of the data it produces”.
Under the proposal, the ball would have a microchip implanted and players would wear a small transmitter which sits alongside the GPS unit they currently wear for every match.

What is the new technology
– NRL is exploring with a UK-based company the potential of having microchips in each football.
– Players would wear transmitters and each venue would place portable receivers around the ground.
– The technology is capable of making ‘live’ decisions on forward passes and off-side calls from kicks.
– The information can be either be relayed to the bunker or a computer can be programmed to tell the referee instantly.
– It is unlikely to be implemented next season with 2022 more likely.

Receivers would be placed around the grounds on the fence or on tripods. The data is then transmitted from the ball and the players to each of these receivers directly into a computer program.

The data received from the units in the ball and on the players, digitally replicates what is happening on the field in real time.
The 2022 season could see the introduction of the new technology.

The 2022 season could see the introduction of the new technology.
The technology tracks each of those components and in theory it should be instantly identifiable if players are onside or off-side from kicks, if the ball has gone forward or back and the direction the ball comes out of the hands when passed.

“From an officiating perspective these are the areas we would initially prioritise,” Annesley said.
“In the case of decision making during play it can happen two ways – it can be set up so the information immediately goes to the bunker and the bunker advises the referee. It can also be set up in a way that it is automatically programmed to inform the referee verbally through a computer program.

“When a pass is thrown it has the potential to automatically relay a message to the referee if the ball has travelled forward out of the hands.
The NRL plans to hold further meetings with the company next month after promising initial discussions.
The technology also has other potential uses outside of officiating the NRL is investigating.

Graham Annesley is excited about the potential of the innovations.

Graham Annesley is excited about the potential of the innovations.
“This is a huge potential innovation – and not just for officiating,” Annesley said.

“There are a range of possibilities including the provision of information to fans through our existing digital channels and broadcast partners.
“We want to see it in action in the first instance so we can brief the Commission on its effectiveness and seek approval to continue discussions. It’s all very well to talk about the theory, but we need to see what it is really capable of.”
Other sports are also exploring the use of the technology.

I am 100% with the idea, don't just stop there !
We have to stop referees cheating the system...
10 meter rule For years the so called refs have badly controlled the 10 meters and got away with it,
at crucial times in a game a team gets 13 meters while the other team gets eight.
It has to stop !!!
Another blight on the game is time wasting in the final minutes of the game ( Melbourne in the finals ).
My solution to that is not only the sin-binning...WE MUST ADD TIME ON, it will deter offenders !!!
Your opinions please ???

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No need to keep add more ways to cheat and corrupt the game. Pull it back a little. The worse thing to ever happen to the game was going to bed with the bedding agency’s.
Money is the root of all evil !!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only need to compare origin 1 vs 2 to see how much difference getting the defence back 10m makes. Only saw about ten minutes combined of the two games and the first game looked like the Queensland defence would give Usain Bolt a run for his money over ten metres. So I agree 100% on the lack of wide vision. You see games where the attacking team can't even get back to where the ball is played before the defence is on top of them.

This technology won't stop corruption anyway. At some point soon I'll crack and stop supporting the game for good.
I have to symphyses with you on the issue, CHANGES CHANGES AND NEVER ENDING CHANGES. It has to be asked why the need for all the changes. The game is fast becoming a complete joke, can anyone enlighten me if their is another football code in the world which is constant need of changes.
For a number of years now I have become apathetic about the NRL and also with the game. However because the treatment our club has been getting I have become fanatical about supporting it..