News ‘Smart’ footballs to rule on forward passes as NRL plans to revolutionise how games are officiated

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NRL is investigating new technology involving the placement of microchips in footballs which could enable match officials to rule instantly on forward passes and other controversial decisions instantly.

Initial discussions have commenced with an English-based company with hopes of testing the technology as soon as possible. The NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley has had early talks with the company with Annesley declaring the technology as “the most promising development of its type I have seen”.
Discussions are still in the early stages with a lot of detail yet to be determined. Pending Commission approval and successful testing the earliest the technology would be introduced would be in 2022.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Microchips in footballs could be the way forward for rugby league.

Microchips in footballs could be the way forward for rugby league.
“I’m encouraged by the discussions and I’ve had a number of meetings with the company but there is a long way to go,” Annesley said.
“It’s not just a matter of me being comfortable the technology, once I have all the necessary information the Commission needs to be fully briefed so it can evaluate the costs against the intended benefits to ensure any proposal would deliver value for money for the game’s stakeholders.
“We also need to further explore how it may be possible to offset some of these costs by generating revenue from a broader use of the data it produces”.
Under the proposal, the ball would have a microchip implanted and players would wear a small transmitter which sits alongside the GPS unit they currently wear for every match.

What is the new technology
– NRL is exploring with a UK-based company the potential of having microchips in each football.
– Players would wear transmitters and each venue would place portable receivers around the ground.
– The technology is capable of making ‘live’ decisions on forward passes and off-side calls from kicks.
– The information can be either be relayed to the bunker or a computer can be programmed to tell the referee instantly.
– It is unlikely to be implemented next season with 2022 more likely.

Receivers would be placed around the grounds on the fence or on tripods. The data is then transmitted from the ball and the players to each of these receivers directly into a computer program.

The data received from the units in the ball and on the players, digitally replicates what is happening on the field in real time.
The 2022 season could see the introduction of the new technology.

The 2022 season could see the introduction of the new technology.
The technology tracks each of those components and in theory it should be instantly identifiable if players are onside or off-side from kicks, if the ball has gone forward or back and the direction the ball comes out of the hands when passed.

“From an officiating perspective these are the areas we would initially prioritise,” Annesley said.
“In the case of decision making during play it can happen two ways – it can be set up so the information immediately goes to the bunker and the bunker advises the referee. It can also be set up in a way that it is automatically programmed to inform the referee verbally through a computer program.

“When a pass is thrown it has the potential to automatically relay a message to the referee if the ball has travelled forward out of the hands.
The NRL plans to hold further meetings with the company next month after promising initial discussions.
The technology also has other potential uses outside of officiating the NRL is investigating.

Graham Annesley is excited about the potential of the innovations.

Graham Annesley is excited about the potential of the innovations.
“This is a huge potential innovation – and not just for officiating,” Annesley said.

“There are a range of possibilities including the provision of information to fans through our existing digital channels and broadcast partners.
“We want to see it in action in the first instance so we can brief the Commission on its effectiveness and seek approval to continue discussions. It’s all very well to talk about the theory, but we need to see what it is really capable of.”
Other sports are also exploring the use of the technology.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dumb fcuks.....
Can't the bunker just rule on it.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If there is a try off a forward pass, then play on and go straight to the bunker and rule on it. The problem is nobody knows what constitutes a forward pass. IMO if the ball stays behind from the point of release when caught, play on. Even if it travels forward.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A lot of forward passes are let go, as well as a lot of normal passes are called back for being forward. I don't have an issue with this, but I also don't care if it's minimally forward, I'd prefer they only rule on blatant forward passes. Maybe the officials/bunker need to use some more common sense.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All for this innovation.
In fact, if the transmitters are already detecting players positioning on the field, surely they can be linked to 10 meters from the play the ball or the referee on the D line and instantly detect an offside player?
And by extension if a player is behind a kick, etc.,

It always amazes me how little the wide shot vision is shown during games - my guess is offside is too frequent for the telecast.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All for this innovation.
In fact, if the transmitters are already detecting players positioning on the field, surely they can be linked to 10 meters from the play the ball or the referee on the D line and instantly detect an offside player?
And by extension if a player is behind a kick, etc.,

It always amazes me how little the wide shot vision is shown during games - my guess is offside is too frequent for the telecast.
You only need to compare origin 1 vs 2 to see how much difference getting the defence back 10m makes. Only saw about ten minutes combined of the two games and the first game looked like the Queensland defence would give Usain Bolt a run for his money over ten metres. So I agree 100% on the lack of wide vision. You see games where the attacking team can't even get back to where the ball is played before the defence is on top of them.

This technology won't stop corruption anyway. At some point soon I'll crack and stop supporting the game for good.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
This won't happen.......technology is far from infallible (just like our referees & linesmen). If it worked accurately the game would be pulled up every second ruck as most dully halves are regularly throwing forward passes from the ruck (they all do it). The game would become another NFL......far too many stoppages.........it's a big NO from me......There are more important things to fix first..........like offside on the 4th/5th tackle kicks.....running a shield for the catcher.....get these sorted first........forward passes, unless blatant & obvious, we just have to live with....

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This sounds like it will end up being a disaster and cost a tonne of money. How about getting the refs, touch judges and bunker to use their eyes instead? Just make forward passes reviewable by video ref as 90% of the time you can easily tell if it was forward or not on replay.

I still don't understand how offsides can be reviewed but forward passes can't be when it's the same premise.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the knock on rule anymore - seems that if the ball is dropped it becomes a knock on. Game should only be stopped for blatant/ obvious/ clear discretions. If 50/50play on!
If the 10 metre rule was enforced a lot of the issues would disappear or at the least be less noticed - games where a good 10 metres is kept for both sides are better to watch have less penalties, less wrestle.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another diversion tactic from the refs boss.

When are we going to get 'smart' refs who can be consistent with 6 again calls

Sutton is the most blatant. The team he wants to win, he'll give them 6 again calls on 4th or 5th tackle. The team he wants to engineer out of the game he calls even up 6 agains on zero or tackle 1.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If this tech works the way they are saying, Sutton will suddenly find his options for fudging games have been greatly reduced. I don't mind this move at all, provided it works. Will be a lot quicker than going to the bunker too.