2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Needs to find it soon’: Legends ask big Barrett question

Is Barrett 'overcoaching' the Dogs?

Is Barrett 'overcoaching' the Dogs? | 01:42

Tom Sargeant from Fox Sports
April 22nd, 2022 11:05 pm

Fox League analysts Braith Anasta and Michael Ennis believe Trent Barrett’s “over-coaching” is costing his side in attack after the Bulldogs suffered another loss at the hands of the Broncos.

After a strong start the Canterbury-Bankstown side faded, allowing the Red Hill club to run over the top of them to win 34-14.
The Bulldogs looked stunted in attack in the second half, and their issues could come back to Barrett’s coaching style.

“I feel like when I watch the Dogs at times they are very predictable, because they are always laying spots,” Ennis said on post-match coverage on Fox League.

“It feels like they are trying to get through the whole set, they are not playing that certain play, they are not playing each play particularly in good attacking position to create something.

“They are playing to get to a certain spot, or they have a certain shape and it is all just trying to get it to a centre or a winger and get it to one side of the field.

“Do you think Trent Barrett is over-coaching them?” Anasta asked.

“We’ve looked at this for a long time Mick… Trent came from the Panthers, where he had a side that were highly skilful.

“He had them in the early days and they had that style where they play Isaah Yeo out the back, which now they’ve got Jackson doing that.”

Trent Barrett was assistant coach of the Panthers in 2020, helping Ivan Cleary’s side to reach the grand final.

The Penrith side boasts a number of crucial and talented players and Ennis believes Barrett’s mindset could still be that he is coaching a star-studded squad.

“But how difficult would that be, when you have come from that system, with that quality of player?” Ennis asked.

“You have got to play the players you have got in front of yo,u Mick,” Anasta added.

“It looks like he is playing a game plan his players aren’t up to.”

“No I completely agree, but I am just saying the challenge when you have seen success with a type of game plan so he is trying to implement that,” Ennis said.

“But I agree, they don’t have the players with the quality Penrith have to try and execute it and at the same time they have got to be able to strip it back a little bit and just let’s see how Burton wants to play.

Let’s see what suits Flanagan, let’s get Josh Jackson out of that ball playing role, particularly in good ball, just because it works for Cameron Murray and Victor Radley and Isaah Yeo, doesn’t mean it works for everyone.

“You have got to know your identity and know who you are as a footy team and I am not sure Baz (Barrett) has found that yet.

“He needs to find it soon, because they have bought quality players,” Anasta said.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of us kennelers can coach for shit, ay? So why is it that us kennelers see this, make comment about this same situation every week regarding our playing style, mainly Jackson's involvement but Barrett can't see this for shit or see it's not working and change it?
F*ck we must be dumb on TK.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 hit ups and a bomb it’s all they got it’s all they’ll ever have with a shit 6,7 and 9. Pathetic attack

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think to with Jacko, he does go hard, gives 110% carrying and defending. If Barrett is trying to use him like Yeo then it’s not Jackson’s fault.

Jackson needs to become a prop rotation now with the ability to play back row if we cop an injury in the game. He’s older, but deserves some respect, and I do think as a rotational middle forward he could still be handy with his experience. Just don’t arranage a fk’n game plan that involves him ball playing in any fk’n tackle!

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I actually think to with Jacko, he does go hard, gives 110% carrying and defending. If Barrett is trying to use him like Yeo then it’s not Jackson’s fault.

Jackson needs to become a prop rotation now with the ability to play back row if we cop an injury in the game. He’s older, but deserves some respect, and I do think as a rotational middle forward he could still be handy with his experience. Just don’t arranage a fk’n game plan that involves him ball playing in any fk’n tackle!
You make too much sense

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like one of the commentators mentioned, the tries we did score were from individual player skills, not from shapes / coaching so Barrett's coaching completely failed again

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well when we go 1-23 because JMK is a bum and Jackson is placed in the Tolman role which undeniably is a master stroke according to Barret maybe mister and missus Big Mac who are likely our fitness coaches judging by our unfit we are can fuck of.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like one of the commentators mentioned, the tries we did score were from individual player skills, not from shapes / coaching so Barrett's coaching completely failed again
This is pretty much the story of every try we have scored since Barrett got here. We have not seen any indication of his supposed coaching skills whatsoever to date.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tell us something we don't know. At least these clowns are finally calling Baz out on it.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am so bored of this shit. soooooo much talk but we’ll never change. sack everyone or nothing will change ever

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score

The libeled is he is becoming like Tolman and one dimensional. Tackle and soft hot ups.
You need to keep them guessing. Offloads, fliq passes. Steps, doling in a circle at the defence. Otherwise you’re easily contained