News ‘Know what it takes’: Reynolds opens up on pursuit of huge Bulldogs homecoming`

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox League from Fox Sports
December 25th, 2022 1:58 pm

Canterbury veteran Josh Reynolds believes he knows “what it takes to be a Bulldog” as he pursues an unlikely NRL homecoming.

The 33-year-old was handed a train-and-trial deal to return to his former club ahead of the 2023 season after two seasons in the Super League.

Reynolds left the NRL in 2020 after a turbulent 12 months that included a domestic violence case, for which he was cleared, with a former partner.
But now the experienced playmaker is solely focused on doing what he can for his beloved Bulldogs after an honest conversation with rugby league supremo Phil Gould.

“I said to ‘Gus’ I’d love to be a part of what they’re building here, whatever that looked like,” Reynolds said to NRL.com.

“It is a young squad. I had a chat to ‘Jacko’ about it and thought it wasn’t a bad idea that I try and give it a crack.

“I had a lot of older guys say to me you’re retired for a long time and that stuck with me a bit. When the wheels did get rolling I was very excited.

“I still don’t know what’s going to happen or what’s going to come of it but at the same time it’s just nice to be home to a club that I love.

“If there’s one thing I do know it’s what it takes to be a Bulldog. We’ve got a loyal fanbase and all they want is effort. That’s what Cam [Ciraldo] wants too.”

Reynolds’ three month deal came with no guarantees and the former Tiger could be without a contract come January if he fails to break into the top 30.

However, he is backing his knowledge of the game and extensive experience in the NRL to see him continue with the squad throughout 2023.

“I want to play, that’s my priority,” Reynolds said.

“But I also walk into the sheds and there’s 18-year-old kids training with us and I know how daunting that can be, to walk into a first grade team.

“It’s my 13th year in the NRL and any sort of tips I can give to those boys I’m happy to do that and if that’s the role that’s needed I’ll be OK with that.”

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Always loves to talk the talk during his career... More often than not he hasn't backed it up. Goodluck to him, but he should be #14 at most if he's lucky.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many Reynolds articles have there been? If Josh is anywhere near the 17 this year then It's going to be a LONG season

He's a NSW Cup player at best and even then I'd rather have the young guys playing in the spine.

In saying that I'd still have him over Flanno at 7

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Knowing how hard he tries, you just know he's going to be one of the fittest when the players come back from their breaks.

I don't see him making the cut but good on him for having a crack.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The least he will be able to do is teach Bulldog to the others.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i liked him in 2012, but that was so long ago, can't see how he fits in today as a 14 given we signed nu brown
He won’t be a top 30 player but could be a handy stop gap solution for the odd game here and there later in the season.

The energy and passion he will bring to the squad across the training paddock will be great though. The kind of personality he is he will be great for the young guys coming through.

He is far from a week in week out NRL player these days. But being a member of the squad will be of benefit to the club as a whole.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can’t believe we have to think of Josh Reynolds in the top 30. Inexcusable from Gus and Ciraldo. He’s finished and we have wasted a spot on him over others more deserving.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can’t believe we have to think of Josh Reynolds in the top 30. Inexcusable from Gus and Ciraldo. He’s finished and we have wasted a spot on him over others more deserving.
Hahahahaha I’m sure Gould and Ciraldo are devastated that you are so filthy on their judgment..

I personally doubt Reynolds will make top 30, but if he does I will trust their call.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The good think is that Reynolds has experienced NRL at the top level. That gives him an advantage over most of the young guns.
Experience is something the others have to get. I think 14 suits him.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hahahahaha I’m sure Gould and Ciraldo are devastated that you are so filthy on their judgment..

I personally doubt Reynolds will make top 30, but if he does I will trust their call.
Why does Ciraldo have the trust to like a Craig Bellamy on here. I kinda get Gus but Ciraldo isn’t trustworthy to back up and make bizarre decisions like this just yet.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Would be good to see him off the bench for a game for 20 mins after round 11 or whenever the cutoff is for non top 30

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why does Ciraldo have the trust to like a Craig Bellamy on here. I kinda get Gus but Ciraldo isn’t trustworthy to back up and make bizarre decisions like this just yet.
Mate, I’m just suggesting that it’s not a world ending decision either way. $1k a week that would become minimum wage even if he somehow pulled off a shock listing in the 30.

Some on here (like Marley) have too much hatred for a bloke that loves our club and bleeds blue and white.. We have certainly missed his kind of enthusiasm and passion around the joint so I am happy as fuck he’s around in some capacity..

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mate, I’m just suggesting that it’s not a world ending decision either way. $1k a week that would become minimum wage even if he somehow pulled off a shock listing in the 30.

Some on here (like Marley) have too much hatred for a bloke that loves our club and bleeds blue and white.. We have certainly missed his kind of enthusiasm and passion around the joint so I am happy as fuck he’s around in some capacity..
It is if he plays 14 or blocks the pathway of our junior halves coming through that we desperately need for one to hopefully be the answer to our 7 issue.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is if he plays 14 or blocks the pathway of our junior halves coming through that we desperately need for one to hopefully be the answer to our 7 issue.
Sadly we don’t have a young 7 that looks like being a Cleary/ DCE/MOSES type coming thru.

At the moment we need look at developing our side around the talent we have and coming thru with a home grown 7 a long term goal.