‘I want to make my family proud again’: Shark’s star breaks silence on doping ban

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘I want to make my family proud again’: Shark’s star breaks silence on doping ban

LEAGUE

Bronson Xerri hasn’t closed the book on one day returning to the NRL. Photo: Getty Images
Bronson Xerri hasn’t closed the book on one day returning to the NRL. Photo: Getty ImagesSource: AAP

Suspended Sharks star Bronson Xerri hasn’t closed the book on returning to the NRL one day — although, he admits he hasn’t “touched a football” since being banned last year.

The 20-year-old centre was stood down last May, after returning a positive test to anabolic steroids. A B-sample confirmed his positive result four months later in September.

But in his first interview since being stood down, Xerri said that he was trying to stay resilient and wanted to make his family proud again one day.

“I’m only 20 years old, so whatever time I get, I know I’m going to put my best foot forward,” Xerri told Nine News.

“I want to make my family proud again.”

Before being stood down, Xerri seemingly had the world at his feet.
He was the Shark’s rising star in 2019, finished as the league’s 12th-highest try scorer with 13 (from 22 games) including a hat-trick against the Dragons in round 25 and a double the next week.

Xerri faces a long route back to the game if he, indeed, attempts a comeback after being slapped with a four-year-ban.

He has appealed the provisional four-year ban at the NRL Appeals Tribunal but is yet to learn the outcome.

Yet, he only needs to draw inspiration from Sandor Earl, who made his comeback with the Storm in 2018 after he too was banned for four years for using and trafficking a performance-enhancing drug in 2013.

Speaking to Nine News, Xerri said the “ban” was on him and had nothing to do with his family.

“This is all on myself and it’s a mistake I did, not my family,” he told Nine News.

“That was the hardest part, to tell my family and to let them go through what I was going through. It is what it is. My main goal is to repay them and make them proud again.

Xerri added that he didn’t want to go into the specifics around his drug use and what was important was focusing on his mental health.

“Throughout that period I was very depressed and at home doing nothing,” he said.

“I was just staying home and thinking about everything, it just didn’t seem real to me. I haven’t even watched a game of football yet and I haven’t even touched a football.

“At the end of the day, my mental health is very important and I’m trying to stay on top of it and doing what I can.”

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tried to cheat got caught piss off idiot hell be a park footy player at best

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolute vomit story. Make family proud?? Oh please. Just go quietly, you wouldn't have even been up there without the 'assistance'.
That's the thing, he comes back to the NRL 10-15% slower and he'll be a fringe player at best as the only attribute he had was fake speed.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will be with us and his mate Flanno I'm sure of it.
Yup.. had the world at his feet.. Bloody imagine that .. such a promising player, was a superstar and legend in the making, he was one kid that burst into the scene that really was exciting to watch , yet turned to drugs etc. SHOCKING. one of my favourite of late in fact.. and he played for rivals.. but I would watch the sharks just to watch him, another I constantly said I wanted at the doggies .!!!

good luck Xerri,learn from your fucking mistakes.!!!

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I’d be sorry too lol imbecile

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm or Roosters will fast track his return to the game a long as he plays for peanuts.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yup.. had the world at his feet.. Bloody imagine that .. such a promising player, was a superstar and legend in the making, he was one kid that burst into the scene that really was exciting to watch , yet turned to drugs etc. SHOCKING. one of my favourite of late in fact.. and he played for rivals.. but I would watch the sharks just to watch him, another I constantly said I wanted at the doggies .!!!

good luck Xerri,learn from your fucking mistakes.!!!
Yeah 100% I still feel like family was involved somehow and he's wearing it, as he should as no one made him do it... You always have a choice.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah 100% I still feel like family was involved somehow and he's wearing it, as he should as no one made him do it... You always have a choice.
Hope he sorts it out and comes back, he’s got the skill to be anything.!!

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
let Xerri serve his ban, stay out of trouble, stay in shape, and then try to rebuild his career in 3 years' time thru the lower grades... but until then, he is not news worthy

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on him for owning it!

Don't know how he's gonna make anyone proud with that crap in his hair though?

Or is that a side effect of drugs???