‘I leave every door ajar’: Blues coach won’t rule out sensational move to join Gus at Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe, Probably....
I just want it to be Flanagan only for the fact that he is a proven first grade coach.
At the very least hed have us playing top 8 footy and with Gus recruiting and sorting out our cap over the next couple of years, who knows what will be.
Gus sent a a very strong message last night, @ASSASSIN has alluded to it several times "deliver now or your gone".
Im not worried about Kyle, I reckon Gus will buy a 7 as soon as is possible. Hes not an idiot.
Hes already started shedding the dead wood.
I dont particularly like Flanagan Senior but I hate being a loser year after year way more.
And Freddy can go you know what lol...
As a rough guess, it seems the vast majority see Flanno Snr as our last/best option.

There's no one else available with the authority and resilience to see it thru for us and the added frustrations and hardship of pulling a down and out defeated club like us up by the bootstraps.

Love him or hate him or grudgingly recognise his coaching achievements, Flanno Snr has shown that necessary personal toughness to rise over his self induced controversies and bad behaviour.

On face value we need a tough knowledgeable scrapper that won't back down or put up with the mental weakness and excuses afflicting this team.

Someone who has been through the tough times themselves. Seen out the adverse publicity and media scrutiny and survived everything thrown at them. Picked themselves up and worked to a plan towards respectability in their chosen profession.

This is the blue print for our club.

Success won't happen without complete trust in the new coach. He must have been there and done that. The Murdoch media and our loser reputation will be there to knock them down every step of the rebuild way.

We can't have a lightweight next coach.

Bellamy is the bomb for us but next best is Flanno Snr.

Yet we definately can't have him if Kyle is still with the club.

That would derail the tough selections, autonomous hard as nails authority needed and hamper the playing style Flanaghan would need to implement.

Chana

Waterboy
Reaction score
Didn’t even read the article but watched the video on the link, and I say bring in Alexander Volkanovski! Said exactly what our players need to hear, and hey if they didn’t take his advice on board, he can round house kick them straight outta belmore!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The dna thing is utter crap! Marketing nonsense.
No its not, Every premiership winning coach for the Dogs has either played for us (Chris Anderson, Phil Gould, Steve Folkes) or had a connection to the Canterbury region. (Both Warren Ryan and Ted Glossop were teachers in the Canterbury area). Apart from maybe playing Canterbury at Belmore I doubt Fittler has even been to Bankstown..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
No its not, Every premiership winning coach for the Dogs has either played for us (Chris Anderson, Phil Gould, Steve Folkes) or had a connection to the Canterbury region. (Both Warren Ryan and Ted Glossop were teachers in the Canterbury area). Apart from maybe playing Canterbury at Belmore I doubt Fittler has even been to Bankstown..
Flanno was our jnr, wasn't he?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The dna thing is utter crap! Marketing nonsense.
You'd think after 2 failed rookie coaches they wouldn't hire a 3rd rookie coach.
Whether it be coaches or players - the club needs personnel capable of having the effect on the club that Kevin Ryan had in the 60s, Bob Mcarthy in the 70s Warren Ryan in the 80s. Gould's tweet about resilience, discipline accountability n detail was good to read.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For me I want Flanno....but

Crystal ball prediction if Madge gets sacked from the Tigers......Flanno to the Tigers, Maguire to the Raiders, Stuart to the Bulldogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Whether it be coaches or players - the club needs personnel capable of having the effect on the club that Kevin Ryan had in the 60s, Bob Mcarthy in the 70s Warren Ryan in the 80s. Gould's tweet about resilience, discipline accountability n detail was good to read.
We need well respected, relatable leaders added to the team.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s only a matter of time until the dogs start winning games again. There is potential. We play well in patches . We just don’t have the talent or plan to get over the line. It’s so frustrating because Burton ado Carr and even tpj have shown great talent.

The question really is which coach is tough to get the boys across the line. We need a tough coach . Hasler was tough . Bellamy is tough . Robinson is tough . Potter and Barrett are too soft . We need someone to rip the doors out of the joint after a loss.

We also need a captain that knows how to lead a winning team. Not a loser like Jacko

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Slam it in your face Freddy, don’t even think you’re coming to this great club !!

Chana

Waterboy
Reaction score
Everyone has valid arguments, but I think it’s more than having a rookie coach or an experienced one. Gould, Anderson and Folkes, were rookies. The difference is that they came through our system that provided a hard working, no nonsense, culture. We lost that and it’s hard to implement again, unless you have the type of individuals that fit that culture.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling he’s going to be our coach? And it’ll be announced after the origin series?

If it happens to be him, are dreams free? Could he con Joey Johns to be his assistant?

And conspiracy theory time. Fittler wants the dogs to crash after we beat them in the 04 GF. What better way then to do it from the inside.
Joey wants us to get the Walker brothers to coach us lol. Him and Freddy are both space cadets.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats connection and understanding of the the community from which players, supporters come from. A well prepared professional, diligent hard working coach would build that understanding n connection, regardless of where they have come from. Requiring "dna" is limiting the numbers of potential coaches.

I doubt Fittler would be a good fit - cannot see him getting into the daily grind needed to instill discipline, set standards around focus on detail etc.

Just employ the best person for the job -

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling he’s going to be our coach? And it’ll be announced after the origin series?

If it happens to be him, are dreams free? Could he con Joey Johns to be his assistant?

And conspiracy theory time. Fittler wants the dogs to crash after we beat them in the 04 GF. What better way then to do it from the inside.
We are already a train wreck mate,not sure even Fittler could take us any deeper into the shit. Having said that i think all this talk is a Gus smoke screen.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokescreen for Flanno....taking the pressure off

Even blind Freddy can see it

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats connection and understanding of the the community from which players, supporters come from. A well prepared professional, diligent hard working coach would build that understanding n connection, regardless of where they have come from. Requiring "dna" is limiting the numbers of potential coaches.

I doubt Fittler would be a good fit - cannot see him getting into the daily grind needed to instill discipline, set standards around focus on detail etc.

Just employ the best person for the job -
A little myth and mystery is not a bad thing but I also agree in hiring the best available. I am sure if we hired Bennett or Bellamy we could have found a conncetion that suits us 8-). But with Fittler...

FOF