News ‘I certainly wasn’t going to sack him’: Gould explains abrupt Barrett exit

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Players only have from Wednesday to Friday night to prepare. Wonder when the team will be announced.

People still think we'll beat Tiges?
Well WD..if we take past years in the NRL..teams that lose their coach during the season normally win the next upcoming game..

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus is the master - fires baz with clean hands. When media question his spin he will put it down to agenda and lies. We need the right coach now Gussy

Curash

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Look… T Ballz did manage to sway JAC, Burton, TPJ to come our way to go with 2023 Mahoney and Kikau

Let’s just leave it all at that…. Wish T Ballz well because in his time, I believe he cared more for the club than that f{}ckwit Des
Hasler always referred to us as "this club"

Baz always referred to us as "our club"

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well WD..if we take past years in the NRL..teams that lose their coach during the season normally win the next upcoming game..
Hope so. Would be something positive at a hugely depressing time for the club and us supporters.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Phil Gould has revealed how Trent Barrett “poured his heart out” during a “raw” phone conversation on Sunday night before he resigned as Canterbury coach.The Bulldogs football manager hopes to have an interim - and internally appointed - coach by Wednesday, and described how the club felt like they had failed Barrett because of his decision to quit.

Speculation went into overdrive over the weekend about Barrett’s future after Friday night’s loss to Newcastle.
Gould had most Dogs fans assuming Barrett was safe after he declared on 100% Footy a fortnight ago: “Trent Barrett will be the coach of the Bulldogs long after I’m gone – long after I’m gone – and he’ll be the long-term coach of the club”.

When asked by the Herald on Monday what had changed in that short time, Gould, who stopped at the gates of Belmore to address the giant media pack, said: “It was Trent’s decision. I certainly wasn’t going to sack him. It’s sad it’s come to this.
“I think the performances and pressure, he got the feeling he didn’t have the solutions for what was going wrong.

Phil Gould addresses the media on Monday

Phil Gould addresses the media on MondayCredit:Getty Images

“That’s how he felt at the time. He made the decision on Sunday night. It was a rollercoaster through Saturday and Sunday. Late last night after I had finished the commentary on Nine, we had a long discussion, it was a very difficult discussion, it was pretty raw, he poured his heart out a bit, and he put his heart into this job.

“It’s sad the way it has ended. Hopefully he finds a bit of respite now and a bit of peace.

“He wanted to end the speculation and any pressure on the board to make a decision, so he took it upon himself [to resign].”
Barrett was cut loose by Manly and now lasted just 18 months int a three-year deal at Canterbury, but Gould said fans had not seen the last of Barrett as a head coach.

Barrett attended a funeral on Monday and was not at Belmore, while several players struck down by flu learned of the news via text message.
“He’s as good a young coach I’ve seen coming through the system, he’s just been in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Gould said.

“He’s taken on big jobs because he backs himself and he’s very confident in his own ability. He works extremely hard - he’s the most hard-working young coach I’ve seen.
“He put his heart and soul into it, he gave his best, but he said, ‘I can’t see a way clear now, and I don’t want the club to suffer’, so he made the decision himself.”

Cameron Cirlado was mooted as a possible replacement, but sources with knowledge of his situation told the Herald the 37-year-old was no chance of leaving Penrith in the middle of this season.

Like Craig Fitzgibbon who refused to cut and run on the Roosters mid-season after taking Cronulla’s top job last year, Ciraldo wants to finish what he started at the premiers and win back-to-back titles.

He also remains good friends with Barrett and any chance to succeed him so soon has zero appeal for the Panthers assistant.
Canterbury won just five out of their 34 games with Barrett in charge. He did well to recruit decent players like Matt Burton, Tevita Pangai jnr and Josh Addo-Carr, but there have been little on-field improvements.

Paul Vaughan, who is unwanted by the Dogs at season’s end - and has no interest from rival NRL clubs - made a point of bagging the media as he drove out of Belmore early.

Canterbury must regroup before Friday’s clash against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval. Tigers pin-up Jackson Hastings was keen to play against Barrett after he pulled the trigger on him at Manly and forced him to pick up his career on the other side of the world in the Super League.

Pressed on his interest in Ciraldo, Gould said those discussions would take place in good time, and the board did not think they would be put into this position so soon.

“We never thought we’d be in this position today ... there is a lot of shock and a lot of sadness,” Gould said.
The club released a statement earlier on Monday to say it would “sincerely like to thank Trent for all of his hard work and effort over the past 18 months in what has been a very difficult time for the club”.

The Bulldogs were the second club Barrett had taken charge of at NRL level, having previously walked out on Manly with a year to run on his contract after taking them to the finals once in three seasons.

Canterbury sacked coach Dean Pay in the final months of the 2020 season and moved quickly on Barrett, who had been instrumental in Penrith’s grand final run that year as an assistant to Ivan Cleary.

TL;DR version....

Baz took the golden handshake.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ready made excuse for mass droppings with players having the flu.
True ... if it's real though then wouldn't be surprised with mass changes. I'm normally really good with flu and sickness but my whole family including myself have been ko'ed by this current version of the flu.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the flu comment. Watch several changes to the line up cause of the flu. I also hate the fact that everyone was calling for Baz head now all of a sudden a lot of comments I’m reading on fb etc are all about players fault and not Baz… Wtf is wrong with these bipolar people.
Baz tried hard and had the clubs best interest but he wasn’t the man to RE build this club. Simple as that!
do I want a new coach? Not really cause now we press reset and start all over again with the rebuilding excuses…did it have to happen? Yes it did, unfortunately it was another experiment that failed which has been our curse the last few years. They need to make this next decision right for the clubs and fans sake.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus may not have sacked him directly, wouldn't be surprised if he gave Baz a heads up saying that was likely to happen and to save some face.
Gus probably pushed the Board hard for the 500k if he stood down arrangement too.

Doggystyle99

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I reckon Gus planted the Trent will be coach long after I am gone line in the media knowing that this was how it was going to play out, I think Gus has given him until round 10 or he had to fall on his sword. He knows who our new coach will be in 23 and he never “sacked” Barret and supported him wholeheartedly right up to the point when he “Quit”
I wouldn’t play poker with Gus.
This…

Gus silently playing a few moves ahead of everybody else.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont all blame baz, we still have some pea hearted players at our club, at least baz showed has pride and passion for our club.
He may not have gotten the results he was after, but wasnt from a lack of trying.
Some players should hang their heads in shame