News ‘I apologised to Penrith’: Bulldogs sponsor backflips on Burton

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was agitating for his early releasefrom the Panthers at the start of the season, but Bulldogs backer Arthur Laundy believes Matt Burton’s decision to fulfil his contractual commitments will benefit all parties, declaring “I’m pleased he has stayed with Penrith.”
Burton was overlooked for selection for the opening two rounds of the year, prompting Canterbury officials to try to prise him from the foot of the mountains early. However, Burton starred in the absence of Nathan Cleary in the round-three victory over Melbourne and has played every game since, whether it be in the centres or filling in as a half whenever Cleary or Jarome Luai were unavailable.

Laundy made headlines when he demanded the Panthers release Burton in March, but now believes staying put will make him an even better player when he finally arrives at Belmore.

“When I was quite outspoken, he was not playing,” Laundy told the Herald.

“When he was not in the 17, I said ‘Don’t stand in his way, let him go. Come out to us, where he could learn from our coach, which will be the case for the next couple of years.
“That didn’t happen. It hit the press and I know out Penrith way, I was the bad boy and all of that type of thing.

“But when he got into the 17, he started playing such good football that he’s still there.

“I contacted their CEO, Brian Fletcher and said ‘Brian, if I have caused any anguish at all, I’m sorry. I absolutely applaud your decision now because he is playing in the right grade.’

“I thought I had covered all of my tracks there. There’s no doubt about the style of footballer he is and how good a footballer he is.

“I’m pleased he has stayed with Penrith now. He’s in there now with a very good chance of winning a competition, which is a lovely thing to be happening for a 21 year old.

“That’s my attitude to it.”

Burton agreed to a two-year deal with the Bulldogs reportedly worth up to $500,000 a season. At the time, some commentators suggested it was ‘overs’ given the playmaker had made just five first-grade appearances in 2020 and only one the year before.

“There was a bit of uncertainty at the start of the year where I was going to be, but here I am now,” Burton said on Monday.

“I just can’t believe it. I love the club and the boys have become like brothers for me. I think (playing at centre) helps my development and me as a player moving forward. It’s going to be sad to have my last game at the club, but it’s been great for me (staying this year) and I can’t wait for the weekend.

“I’m really looking forward to it.”

However, it now appears money well spent given how quickly the Dubbo product has turned potential into performance during Penrith’s run to the grand final.
“I think it has been a very shrewd purchase,” Laundy said.
“If they win on Sunday, it would be a string to his bow, it will be fabulous for him.
“If they don’t win, it will still be that experience of playing in a grand final and the experience of grand final week. That must be fabulous for their 17 footballers.”
When the Bulldogs were negotiating with Burton, Laundy travelled to the family’s hometown in Dubbo to make a pitch to his mother, Lisa.

“I’ve never met the guy, but on Friday I sent him a simple text: ‘Matty, good luck tomorrow. Look forward to meeting you. Arthur Laundy.’

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People slating Laundy, I dont really see what hes done wrong hahaha, he tried to get Burto when he wasnt playing which we d of all loved at the time and he was right to want him early if he wasnt gonna play Nrl. Now Burto is playing he said he made the right decision to stay at Penrith and play Nrl, which is also right.He clearly made a good impression meeting burtons family and I like the personal touch of sending him a text, Laundy seems like a bloke thats really committed to getting players on board personally and showing we are a family club.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Laundy talks too much.

If he wants the sort of clout Politis has, put your money where your mouth is and commit.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the fact that he wants to get involved,but the reality is that so far he’s got it badly wrong on a couple of occasions,and maybe with all due respect he sticks to running pubs,which he does very well.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looked silly demanding Burton come over to us earlier in the year, looked silly by ringing the Panthers and admitting he was wrong then gives quotes to the media.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think maybe the dogs are going to open up to the media more and try and be ‘darlings’ of the league
Maybe Gus has been talking to sponsors board members etc to change our ‘image’ with the media
Who knows?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Being able to admit you are wrong is an admirable quality. A quality that is lacking in many members of this forum. Thank you for always doing what you think is best for the club and the young men who represent it, uncle Arthur.

PS, you weren’t really wrong. Penrith had no intention of playing Burton in first grade when you made those comments.

Last edited:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I really wish this bloke would stop talking
He has the cash to keep talking especially if our club keeps taking the said cash, go offer the club what he can offer and tell him to stop talking lmao

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His fuck all is more than what people make on here regardless lol
We're not sponsors though. We've gone from million plus per year Kia to fuck all in comparison. Others seem to be working more behind the scenes and putting up the cash to get players across.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We're not sponsors though. We've gone from million plus per year Kia to fuck all in comparison. Others seem to be working more behind the scenes and putting up the cash to get players across.
I don't think the club would be keeping him around if he wasn't going to put the cash in, we can get other "fuck all" valued sponsors who can splash small amounts of cash too but we didn't