News ‘I am going to right the wrongs I put in place,’ says Dogs powerbroker

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Danny Weidler
October 4, 2020 — 12.01am

The Bulldogs member leading the revolution against Lynne Anderson has made one thing very clear.

"Trent Barrett is the man the members want to coach the club and we will be doing everything we can to make him welcome," John Karanikolas said. "This mess needs to be sorted out before he gets here and that is our intention. He deserves the chance to hit the ground running."
Karanikolas has become involved in the bid to oust the Bulldogs board because he feels guilty.

"I owe it to the club because I ran the campaign to get Lynne into the club," he said. "I am not going to say sorry for that, but I am now going to right the wrongs I put in place. There were nine pillars we aimed to put in place with her, but none of them have been achieved to satisfactory level. Instead, we are floundering and a laughing stock in the game.
"The problem is that the club is living in the past. Now, I respect Canterbury’s history and everything that Peter 'Bullfrog' Moore did for the club. But you speak to people who work at the club and in the football area, and they say she walks around saying, ‘I’m Bullfrog’s daughter and Bullfrog is this and that’. But they will come to me or others and say, ‘John, who is this Bullfrog and why does she speak like that?
"There is the issue. We should be speaking about the likes of Hazem El Masri or Josh Jackson or Terry Lamb ... these kind of guys. We need to get with the program and launch into this decade and get fans who were born in the ’90s and beyond as well as respect our older fans.

"She [Anderson] sold it as the family club rebirth, but it’s anything but that now."

And Karanikolas has a message for the Laundy family, who have come on board with the club as the main jersey sponsor
"I saw they said if they didn’t get their way, they’d walk away," Karanikolas said. "Well, what they need to know is this is a members club, not their play thing. Not the Andersons’ play thing.

"If they want to walk, I’ll open the door for them and help them out. They got this year’s jumper for nothing and they have not signed a contract yet for the other years. I am talking with sponsors all the time and we have sponsors with real money ready to jump into the void if they want to go. We won’t shed a tear or miss their money if they want to dictate in that manner."

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Engage with members and fans
2. Implement new management and leadership style
3. Introduce proper governance and accountability
4. Become a once again best practice organisation
5. Entrench our Bulldogs culture
6. Develop out people
7. Develop a new strategic plan
8. Focus on our junior league
9. Bring respect back to our club

I guess technically they've at least attempted to address and fix these problems but they haven't actually done anything significant (and in some areas regressed).

It has now been 3 years.
We still have a bottom four (spoon favourites) roster.
The board have ~5 months to pull something out of their ass.

Until our roster is strengthened significantly all that other stuff is meaningless. Pillar 9 can't be achieved!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And so he speaks. Absolute embarrassment that the 'rebels' have this fool as their spokesperson.

"Trent Barrett is the man the members want to coach the club and we will be doing everything we can to make him welcome,"
Then why do this now BEFORE Trent has been able to bring in the players he wants? If you really support the guy, and the club so much why would you fuck up his chances of bringing in top players. Why not, at the very least, wait until they've finished the recruitment?

I am talking with sponsors all the time and we have sponsors with real money ready to jump into the void if they want to go. We won’t shed a tear or miss their money if they want to dictate in that manner.
Hahah OK. Believe that.

Look. I'm as frustrated as anyone else when it comes to our club and I'm definitely not blowing smoke up our board's arse. Across the board things HAVE TO IMPROVE. There's absolutely no doubt about that. But this push by this muppet and his 'silent supporters' is fucking embarrassing.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1. Engage with members and fans
2. Implement new management and leadership style
3. Introduce proper governance and accountability
4. Become a once again best practice organisation
5. Entrench our Bulldogs culture
6. Develop out people
7. Develop a new strategic plan
8. Focus on our junior league
9. Bring respect back to our club

I guess technically they've at least attempted to address and fix these problems but they haven't actually done anything significant (and in some areas regressed).

It has now been 3 years.
We still have a bottom four (spoon favourites) roster.
The board have ~5 months to pull something out of their ass.

Until our roster is strengthened significantly all that other stuff is meaningless. Pillar 9 can't be achieved!
Agree completely on this. Things need to improve, and if we're having this discussion after next year's footy I'll be the first in line telling the board to go. Now isn't the time though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thank you John.
For nothing.
It’s all about you (and who you’re working with).
Don’t spin it now that your scam is exposed.
If you’re serious, get an alternative ticket together for 2022 and it will be considered this time next year.
If you can’t wait until then, apply for the position of Deputy Mayor at Auburn Council. Oh wait...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thank you John.
For nothing.
It’s all about you (and who you’re working with).
Don’t spin it now that your scam is exposed.
If you’re serious, get an alternative ticket together for 2022 and it will be considered this time next year.
If you can’t wait until then, apply for the position of Deputy Mayor at Auburn Council. Oh wait...
Look. I agree that the 9 pillars haven't been achieved at a satisfactory level but ...

1. Their tenure isn't over.
  2. The club was a mess when they took over
  3. They had problems with COVID
  4. JO and CHN lost us a sponsor
  5. Nasheed is currently banned from the page
All of the above are really important parts connected to the 9 pillars and things he didn't bother communicating. Why? Because he's got his own agenda ...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All I want is people with the best interests in the club delivering results, I can’t say the current board has delivered
No one can because they haven't. We came 2nd last this year. 2nd FUCKING LAST!

There isn't a person on here who believes the club has delivered, however there are so many factors at play his which make this situation completely out of the ordinary. At the very least they need the chance over the next 4-5 months to bring in a good number of decent players and stabilse the sponsorship side of things.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
fucking embarrassing.
Correct TD.
Says he supports Baz and the only thing he’s doing is potentially undermining a healthy start.

‘Alternative sponsors and real money’ eh?
Where were you (and they) 6 months ago John?

I wouldn’t buy a ‘renovators delight’ off this bloke - it would be infested with white ants.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one can because they haven't. We came 2nd last this year. 2nd FUCKING LAST!

There isn't a person on here who believes the club has delivered, however there are so many factors at play his which make this situation completely out of the ordinary. At the very least they need the chance over the next 4-5 months to bring in a good number of decent players and stabilse the sponsorship side of things.
I get it but they didn’t help themselves when extending pay and missing out on Holbrook

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I get it but they didn’t help themselves when extending pay and missing out on Holbrook
Fucking hell. People talk about HOllbrook as if he's some Messiah. He would've taken over a complete mess of a squad with useless players and not been able to replace them with anything. Stop talking about him as if we should've gone down that route.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We still would’ve had many reserve graders. Neither Holbrook nor anyone else could’ve changed that.
Maybe but we would’ve had better stability, in saying that I’m hopeful Barrett will do a good job

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fucking hell. People talk about HOllbrook as if he's some Messiah. He would've taken over a complete mess of a squad with useless players and not been able to replace them with anything. Stop talking about him as if we should've gone down that route.
Titans were a fucking shambles when he took over, now their future is looking brighter

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sure what you mean by stability?
But glad you’re hopeful re: Baz. We all are :-).
Stability that we would’ve known our coach long term and a longer plan for recruitment moving forward instead of the shit show all year not knowing who was going to be coach next season and disrupting roster planning and recruitment planning for next year

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stability that we would’ve known our coach long term and a longer plan for recruitment moving forward instead of the shit show all year not knowing who was going to be coach next season and disrupting roster planning and recruitment planning for next year
Who knows though mate? Maybe we would've been looking for another coach as there was no guarantee he'd do well with us.

There's no point looking back too much at what could've been though. I'm just hopeful the club is allowed to get in those players so we can start talking about the lineups and options for next year.