News ‘He’s telling lies’: Gus Gould can’t escape past deception

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lucky Anasta is pure and tells the truth about everything. It’s a pretty big claim to make in the media, maybe Gould should consider some legal advise.
Gus would never go down that path though. He's always been happy to absorb criticism, he's good at tuning the noise out and couldn't care less what the News Ltd fuckwits think. Plus it'd just give them more attention.

The thing that I find funniest about this whole situation is that they all have such a hard on for Gus that they can't even acknowledge that Baz deserved to get fired.. They made it seem like the decision was totally unfair. Which is laughable..

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long you been following the Bulldogs mate? :grinning:
I’m 50 now,since I was 6 years old.
My best friend was a gold member and in 2013 passed away from cancer he was a gold member .
We always went to games Canberra,Newcastle,Brisbane home grounds.
I took over his gold membership In 2013 when he passed away(my best friend)

Josh Reynolds, SAM kasiano and Greg Eastwood came and paid respects when he was sick.

Also Steve Mortimer came to visit him and brought a signed Jersey.

I haven’t given up on 2022.
It’s basic errors killing us.
You can see it.

Ado Carr to fullback will help us.
I think Mariner,Kiraz and Billy Tsikiras will get picked this week and hopefully young Declan Casey.

Fingers crossed things are on the up front now on.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
People really should be thinking this through wiyh their criticism. How else could it honestly be handled. Maybe Barrett resigning on Sunday wasn't the plan with Gus, but he just couldn't hold on for a presser or such and was too upset so called it early. Gus wouldnt tell fans that.

How the hell would any of us have done better, not knowing the facts, let alone Gus, or the Board being in the middle of the evolving crisis.

It had to happen and Gus tried to make it as easy as possible for Barrett.
I agree and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

They tried to help Barrett safe face but the board and Gus wanted him gone.

The media say the team isn’t performing well, we’ve got recruits to be in a better position yet when we take action we’re a bad club

What was the other option, to allow Barrett to see out his 3 years with a 5% winning percentage.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m 50 now,since I was 6 years old.
My best friend was a gold member and in 2013 passed away from cancer he was a gold member .
We always went to games Canberra,Newcastle,Brisbane home grounds.
I took over his gold membership In 2013 when he passed away(my best friend)

Josh Reynolds, SAM kasiano and Greg Eastwood came and paid respects when he was sick.

Also Steve Mortimer came to visit him and brought a signed Jersey.

I haven’t given up on 2022.
It’s basic errors killing us.
You can see it.

Ado Carr to fullback will help us.
I think Mariner,Kiraz and Billy Tsikiras will get picked this week and hopefully young Declan Casey.

Fingers crossed things are on the up front now on.
Good to hear of your love for the club and history with your mate.

Those changes would be worth a try I reckon. Get some enthusiasm and rekindled energy into the team.

It's been hard going for quite a few years but we can only support the club and Gus in the new direction in that it improves our future.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus would never go down that path though. He's always been happy to absorb criticism, he's good at tuning the noise out and couldn't care less what the News Ltd fuckwits think. Plus it'd just give them more attention.

The thing that I find funniest about this whole situation is that they all have such a hard on for Gus that they can't even acknowledge that Baz deserved to get fired.. They made it seem like the decision was totally unfair. Which is laughable..
You’re 100% right he wouldn’t go down that road.

The media love making out everyone who’s moved on from the club as a victim. Same with Dean Pay, Flanno being recalled for the Penrith game, it’s just ridiculous.

Barrett had some decent players in the squad. He also caused his own issues by using players like Averillo in the centres, not sticking with the halves and signing players like Waddell and Naden.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really don't care what the media throw at Gus. He's here to do a job for us. Gus' prime responsibility is our club, his responsibility isn't to make the media happy.

He's creating a junior pathways program and promoting our own home grown players = Tick
Jumped in to help a struggling Barrett before the rooster game and gave the players a kick up their arse = Tick
Brought Kiraz a Canterbury junior back to the club = Tick
Taking all the hits from the media and critics to protect the players and anyone else at our club = Tick
Got rid of Baz(95% of TK members wanted this) in the best way possible = Tick
Will ensure we don't get ripped off by player managers anymore = Tick
Knows how the salary cap works better than anyone else = Tick
He will definitely know who our next coach is and who would best fit our club = Tick
He said he will never let a player that he wants to keep leave our club = Tick

So if the media want to go on about how he has lied to them, I really couldn't care less as long as he's doing what's best for our club and I'm sure he's doing that. Remember Gus never appointed Barrett as head coach of the dogs.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

They tried to help Barrett safe face but the board and Gus wanted him gone.

The media say the team isn’t performing well, we’ve got recruits to be in a better position yet when we take action we’re a bad club

What was the other option, to allow Barrett to see out his 3 years with a 5% winning percentage.
Whatever the club did, whatever Gus did was a hiding to nothing.

He didn't dump on Barrett and had a high regard and friendship.

Think what we like about Gus and his many faults, but I'd stake my house on him doing this the best way possible for Trents best interests.

It just had to be done.

The players contributed more to Baz' demise that Gus Gould ever did.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Going to play devil's advocate for a change. If Gus doesn't want to be called a liar, he shouldn't publicly state an under fire coach will be at the club long after he is gone. Gus said these things knowing full well they were untrue. He clearly doesn't care about being labelled a liar, so why do all of you?

Anasta has spoken sense lately.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really don't care what the media throw at Gus. He's here to do a job for us. Gus' prime responsibility is our club, his responsibility isn't to make the media happy.

He's creating a junior pathways program and promoting our own home grown players = Tick
Jumped in to help a struggling Barrett before the rooster game and gave the players a kick up their arse = Tick
Taking all the hits from the media and critics to protect the players and anyone else at our club = Tick
He will definitely know who our next coach is and who would best fit our club = Tick

So if the media want to go on about how he has lied to them, I really couldn't care less as long as he's doing what's best for our club and I'm sure he's doing that. Remember Gus never appointed Barrett as head coach of the dogs.
Absolutely agree, well said

Gus said he doesn't give a damn what the media say about him, he knows they have an agenda against him.

I truly believe he will do whatever is needed that is in the best interests of the club and to hell with anyone that tries to get in his way.

Exactly what we need

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, well said

Gus said he doesn't give a damn what the media say about him, he knows they have an agenda against him.

I truly believe he will do whatever is needed that is in the best interests of the club and to hell with anyone that tries to get in his way.

Exactly what we need
We've needed someone like him for the last 15 years

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Going to play devil's advocate for a change. If Gus doesn't want to be called a liar, he shouldn't publicly state an under fire coach will be at the club long after he is gone. Gus said these things knowing full well they were untrue. He clearly doesn't care about being labelled a liar, so why do all of you?

Anasta has spoken sense lately.
My beef with Anasta is he is just beating it up, acting fully naive and is being a hypocrit just to join in on the pile on for kicks and holding a place at the mean boys round table.

There's deals, lies, hand shakes not honoured, porkies, BS, false contract amounts, false innuendo ALL THE TIME IN NRL and everyone knows it.

To act high and mighty and honourable accusing others (and you are a player manager too boot) is a bit rich.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Is overrated = Tick

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
My beef with Anasta is he is just beating it up, acting fully naive and is being a hypocrit just to join in on the pile on for kicks and holding a place at the mean boys round table.

There's deals, lies, hand shakes not honoured, porkies, BS, false contract amounts, false innuendo ALL THE TIME IN NRL and everyone knows it.

To act high and mighty and honourable accusing others (and you are a player manager too boot) is a bit rich.
Anasta stood up and defended the club last night while the other talking heads were ranting. He hasn't just dug the boot in indiscriminately. I think he is giving his honest opinions. He's a media commentator....he can't just ignore the Barrett sacking..... and Gus saying what he did a few weeks ago, only for Baz to be gone a few weeks later has given the media plenty of ammo. Of course that is going to be talked about.

Sure, club officials publicly back under fire coaches all the time, but I can't remember any official ever giving such a specific and seemingly unequivocal vote of confidence as Gus gave Baz a few weeks ago.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Also for Anasta to attack Gus is a bit rich. Does he remember when he himself was getting attacked by the media when he first came on the scene as a young kid in FG and was labeled overrated and all sorts of remarks by sections of the media. Gould used to always come in and bat for him and even selected him for his first origin game IIRC. Traitor

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anasta said reports that Barrett was unaware when news first broke about the club’s decision to hold an emergency board meeting shows Barrett didn’t really quit.

“It squashes the ‘I’m going to quit’ thing too because he didn’t even know he was going to get the chop,” Anasta said.

So Anusta won’t believe Baz quit but will believe that Baz was unaware of the sacking despite Hooper claiming the drums were beating at the Canberra game and that Gus spoke to him all weekend

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anasta stood up and defended the club last night while the other talking heads were ranting. He hasn't just dug the boot in indiscriminately. I think he is giving his honest opinions. He's a media commentator....he can't just ignore the Barrett sacking..... and Gus saying what he did a few weeks ago, only for Baz to be gone a few weeks later has given the media plenty of ammo. Of course that is going to be talked about.

Sure, club officials publicly back under fire coaches all the time, but I can't remember any official ever giving such a specific and seemingly unequivocal vote of confidence as Gus gave Baz a few weeks ago.
he called Gus a lier, is that grounds for defamation? thats not being on our side

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given that the players were sent home from training it might be true that Baz jumped without being pushed. I couldn't give a shot if Gould lied anyway. If we win more than 20% of our games through the rest of the season with a caretaker coach it's an improvement and justified it if we sacked Baz.