News ‘Don’t pay overs’: Paul Gallen hits back at Dean Pay over Kieran Foran salary cap relief

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharks legend Paul Gallen has hit back at Bulldogs coach Dean Pay, after he suggested the NRL needs to do more in terms of salary cap relief for injured representative stars.

The Bulldogs will be without big money five-eighth Kieran Foran for 2020 after he suffered a shoulder injury during a Test match for New Zealand last year.

The Bulldogs also lost Chris Smith to an ACL injury during last weekend’s All Stars clash.

Canterbury received $350,000 in salary cap relief for Foran but Pay believes it is not enough to cover for the loss of the $1 million plus star.

“No, I don’t,” Pay told The Daily Telegraph when asked if the Foran amount was sufficient.

“We pay them, we prepare them to go and play in the rep teams. They get hurt and we are the ones who get left in the lurch.

“How in the hell can we buy a like-for-like with Kieran Foran?

“When you get rep players and they are playing for New Zealand or Australia, they are not on $350,000.”

However Gallen took exception to Pay’s comments and believes that injuries are inevitable in a contact sport.

“It’s a hard one when they get injured in games like that (All Stars),” Gallen told WWOS radio.

“I have to say, I disagree. Every club wants rep players in their club.

“They all want to buy representative players, they want representative players there to help the culture of the place, but also because they’re the best players.

“When you buy those players, you know they will be playing for Queensland, NSW, Australia, New Zealand, whoever it may be.

“Injuries are part and parcel of the game, if you want to buy those players and they get injured playing rep footy, I just think it’s bad luck.”

Kieran Foran suffered a long-term shoulder injury playing for the Kiwis.Source: Getty Images

Gallen believes the onus is on the clubs to not overextend themselves on one or two players to minimise the damage when a star player goes down.

“The key to it is, not paying too much money for those players, Gallen said.

“Not paying overs to get those players to your club and making sure those players want to be at the club for the right reasons.

“Therefore, you don’t have to pay too much money for them, therefore the backup that comes in, can do the job probably not as good, but can certainly fill the space.”

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a fair point though does he realise he is basically hitting the pocket of his former fellow rugby league players... Basically telling clubs not to pay players good money? I can see Gallen losing a lot of respect around the rugby league community for his "loose" comments.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not even worth listening to that dribble.!!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His only valid point was to not pay overs for a player which we obviously did
But there is no need to dwell on that forever, just mismanagement at the time
The rest of it is just ridiculous, maybe to many head blows for poor old Gal

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck off Gallen.... your teams a basket case... absolute toilet paper commentary..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the Sharks don't pay overs ? Oh they only did it for 4 current players Woods, Moylan, Johnson and Dugan and yes Foran wasn't signed on Pay's watch you idiot Gallen.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Like the Sharks don't pay overs ? Oh they only did it for 4 current players Woods, Moylan, Johnson and Dugan and yes Foran wasn't signed on Pay's watch you idiot Gallen.
Woods.

That is all the evidence to prove that lost **** has no fucking idea.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What does Foran's price tag have to do with the argument of compensation due to injuries suffered in rep games? Absolutely nothing.

I'm sure if Fifita was injured for Tonga or Wade Graham was injured for NSW he'd be singing a different tune..

Clearly all of the peptides, coke, stat padding hitups and concussions have made Gallen even dumber than he already was.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if he would've made those comments pre-retirement. Doubt it.
Gal should bugger off and box himself into oblivion.
I think everybody needs to take their bulldogs goggles off for this one.

Personally I don't mind Gallen tbh. He's a straight shooter and has backed the dogs on plenty of occasions, not this one so much and that's probably because its an intelligent opinion because there could be a massive consequence to higher compo rates.

Say if clubs do get higher compensation rates in regards to injuries what's going to stop clubs paying even higher overs for rep players when they know compensation rates are high? It will put plenty of stress on clubs salary caps.

As Gallen said you always run the risk with buying rep players and paying high rates.

Like I said above if anything he will receive some backlash from current players because he is talking about their pockets... Should have kept his mouth shut on this occasion I reckon.

Last edited:

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sharks legend Paul Gallen has hit back at Bulldogs coach Dean Pay, after he suggested the NRL needs to do more in terms of salary cap relief for injured representative stars.

The Bulldogs will be without big money five-eighth Kieran Foran for 2020 after he suffered a shoulder injury during a Test match for New Zealand last year.

The Bulldogs also lost Chris Smith to an ACL injury during last weekend’s All Stars clash.

Canterbury received $350,000 in salary cap relief for Foran but Pay believes it is not enough to cover for the loss of the $1 million plus star.

“No, I don’t,” Pay told The Daily Telegraph when asked if the Foran amount was sufficient.

“We pay them, we prepare them to go and play in the rep teams. They get hurt and we are the ones who get left in the lurch.

“How in the hell can we buy a like-for-like with Kieran Foran?

“When you get rep players and they are playing for New Zealand or Australia, they are not on $350,000.”

However Gallen took exception to Pay’s comments and believes that injuries are inevitable in a contact sport.

“It’s a hard one when they get injured in games like that (All Stars),” Gallen told WWOS radio.

“I have to say, I disagree. Every club wants rep players in their club.

“They all want to buy representative players, they want representative players there to help the culture of the place, but also because they’re the best players.

“When you buy those players, you know they will be playing for Queensland, NSW, Australia, New Zealand, whoever it may be.

“Injuries are part and parcel of the game, if you want to buy those players and they get injured playing rep footy, I just think it’s bad luck.”

Kieran Foran suffered a long-term shoulder injury playing for the Kiwis.Source: Getty Images

Gallen believes the onus is on the clubs to not overextend themselves on one or two players to minimise the damage when a star player goes down.

“The key to it is, not paying too much money for those players, Gallen said.

“Not paying overs to get those players to your club and making sure those players want to be at the club for the right reasons.

“Therefore, you don’t have to pay too much money for them, therefore the backup that comes in, can do the job probably not as good, but can certainly fill the space.”
Paying overs hah, that’s why your sharkies are in salary cap strife and half the players wanna leave. Plus you needed drugs to win a comp.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Personally I don't mind Gallen tbh. He's a straight shooter and has backed the dogs on plenty of occasions, not this one so much and that's probably because its an intelligent opinion because there could be a massive consequence to higher compo rates.

Say if clubs do get higher compensation rates in regards to injuries what's going to stop clubs paying even higher overs for rep players when they know compensation rates are high? It will put plenty of stress on clubs salary caps.

As Gallen said you always run the risk with buying rep players and paying high rates.

Like I said above if anything he will receive some backlash from current players because he is talking about their pockets... Should have kept his mouth shut on this occasion I reckon.
The point is, if a true superstar like Teddy tore his ACL and the Roosters wanted 800k or whatever he's on for compensation, Gallen would be protesting on behalf of the Roosters that they should be covered for his full salary. And rightly so.

Just because Foran is washed up and is massively overpaid, it doesn't mean the rule doesn't need fixing and Hill shouldn't be pointing out how flawed the rule is.

As others have said, Cronulla have overpaid half their squad on deals as bad as Foran's..

If Johnson was injured for the Kiwis you can bet he'd want his full salary paid for and wouldn't mention how overpaid he, Woods and Moylan etc are..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The point is, if a true superstar like Teddy tore his ACL and the Roosters wanted 800k or whatever he's on for compensation, Gallen would be protesting on behalf of the Roosters that they should be covered for his full salary. And rightly so.

Just because Foran is washed up and is massively overpaid, it doesn't mean the rule doesn't need fixing and Hill shouldn't be pointing out how flawed the rule is.

As others have said, Cronulla have overpaid half their squad on deals as bad as Foran's..

If Johnson was injured for the Kiwis you can bet he'd want his full salary paid for and wouldn't mention how overpaid he, Woods and Moylan etc are..
That's a very annoyed assumption BT.. We can speculate that will happen and if something like that ever did it would be scandalous. Not saying its not going to happen as we know the NRL is corrupt af but its highly unlikely considering this drama is getting much attention.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

I’m not saying I disagree with his point.
I just find it convenient that he has this view as soon as he retires and is attempting to carve out a media career and I wonder if he would’ve made the same comments as a player, that’s all.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gal spent more tim eon the sidelines than most
Sharks paid him so he not guna say nrl should
Blokes a grub, an attention seeker who took drugs and team was over the cap for many years
No respect for anyth8ng he says