News ‘Can’t look anywhere else’: Ennis’ passionate Bulldogs plea in huge Flanagan endorsement

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox League analyst Michael Ennis has declared that Shane Flanagan is “absolutely the man” to take up the coaching vacancy at the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Previous coach Trent Barrett resigned on Monday having overseen a horrific start to the season in which the Bulldogs are equal-last with the Wests Tigers despite an aggressive recruitment drive which netted premiership winners like Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton and Tevita Pangai Jr.

Multiple names have come up in rugby league circles as to which coach is likely to take over from Barrett at Belmore, with highly-fancied Penrith Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo’s name often coming up in discussions.

But Ennis, who played under Flanagan for two seasons at the Cronulla Sharks, firmly believes the 56-year-old is the perfect fit for the club and pointed to his ability to create an “identity” within a team as a key point of difference that separates him from other candidates.

“We understand that Cameron Ciraldo is highly popular when this comes around and we understand that he’s going to be really patient, it doesn’t sound like a job he wants to be rushed into,” Ennis said.

“Shane Flanagan’s the one for me. I was lucky enough to be coached by Flanno, I don’t think the Bulldogs can look anywhere else.

“You (Benji) stole my word, identity. It’s the one thing Shane knows.

Paul Green, a great candidate won a premiership up there in Townsville. I haven’t been coached by Greeny so I can’t talk on his behalf.

“In all facets of the club, Shane Flanagan delivers as a coach. He knows the identity of his footy side, he keeps the players accountable yet he has great balance in trusting his players and allowing them to play who they are. We hear Trent Robinson talk about young Sam Walker, just wanting him to be Sam Walker. Shane was very much like that.”

Continuing on from allowing players to play the game how they wanted, Ennis recalls a conversation with Flanagan that underpinned that sentiment.

“I came out of a Bulldogs system where under Des there was a real type of game plan that I had to play to,” Ennis said.

“When I got to Cronulla, I said to Shane, ‘How do you want me to play?’

“He said ‘I want you to play the way you love playing. I want you to love the game, I want you to turn up every Saturday and look forward to playing.’

“I felt I played my best football under him.”

Another feather in Flanagan’s cap according to Ennis is his strength in recruiting, a department in which the Bulldogs cannot get wrong in the off-season ahead of 2023.

Ennis highlights the way he brought in a mix of veterans and upcoming stars as yet another reason why Flanagan must get the role along with the way he can communicate effectively to whoever it is.

“You look at the way he built a club at Cronulla, the signings of (Wade) Graham, (Luke) Lewis, (Andrew) Fifita, (Ben) Barba, (James) Maloney,” Ennis said.

“He brought in workers like (Matt) Prior, he had the young youth of (Chad) Townsend and (Jack) Bird.

“He knows what it takes to build a club, but seeing his hands-on approach and his ability to be able to deliver a message to some hard, seasoned first-graders like Paul Gallen and Wade Graham and Luke Lewis then to be able to stay around three, four or five hours later after we’d all gone home and deliver a message but in a more relative way for 16 and 17-year-olds, to know what’s expected of them, to be able to continue through the pathway system, to see his hands on approach with those kids, Shane Flanagan is absolutely the man to coach Canterbury. Absolutely.

“He’s a wonderful NRL coach, a coach I loved playing under and I just think knowing what it takes to be a Bulldog and what we’ve heard this week, Shane delivers that.

“The expectation that we had as a player in the Cronulla jersey is absolutely what Canterbury is all about.”

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’d like to see Kristian Woolf to get the gig assuming that he’s a candidate. There are a few reasons with my preference with one being that Kyle Flanagan is not the halfback that will bring success. Let’s face it he’ll be the automatic 7 selection long term if his dad is head coach

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t like Ennis at all… BUT , the part about Flanno , i completely agree! 100%% , We need a coach with his experience and big game experience!! His stats speak for themselves and he is the coach to lead this team to a new beginning…identity was the key word and it sums it up.. !!

FLANNO to the BULLDOGS GUS.!! Yesterday!!

Reactions: 88

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take mick ennis and Anasta as assistants as a package deal.
Still bleed blue and white and maybe they can infiltrate our future youngsters with that same bulldog spirit.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d like to see Kristian Woolf to get the gig assuming that he’s a candidate. There are a few reasons with my preference with one being that Kyle Flanagan is not the halfback that will bring success. Let’s face it he’ll be the automatic 7 selection long term if his dad is head coach
He might start in the 7 but if he continues to play how he is he won't stay there imo. I think it'd be the dumbest thing ever to not get the best coach available by a long way because his sons at the club. I actually believe we have no other choice.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan’s main downfall will be his son.
That said, I can’t see anyone apart from maybe Wolfe that is more qualified. Wolfe is NRL untested though
Which means he's inexperienced and not an option imo.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Depending on how potter goes for the rest of the year.. maybe potter could be an assistant but that would depend on the new coach i guess
He means michael ennis