King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What about parra?
They called it a penalty try.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's new. The refs have been substandard for a good few years now and since the rule changes, have been as dodgy as hell. The fans deserve an independent committee to review the rules, the refereeing standards and also the performance of those in charge. Annersley has been protecting the incompetent ba$tards for years and needs to resign. V'landys needs to leave the control of the game alone and stick his administration duties or resign as well.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wonder how they will explain their way out of this cock up given it was the winning play...

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is quite interesting. Back a few years now, I was the assistant coach and team manager to my step son who was coach of a team in the Sharks juniors

In the Prelim Final the game went to extra time when we were confronted with an almost identical situation to the Sam Walker field goal.

One of our markers ran straight through one of the players in the wall and the referee penalised us. The opposition kicked the penalty to win the game.

I put in an official enquiry through the correct channels indicating as a former referee I found the decision puzzling.

The answer I was given was it was a 50-50 call, better luck next year.

Future games with that particular referee were a little difficult. Only the obvious calls went our way.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about parra?
They called it a penalty try.
Was a blatant penalty try! He would have scored or are you telling me he wouldn't? Don't see how on earth if the foul didn't happen that he didn't score considering Ponga was going the other way!

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was a blatant penalty try! He would have scored or are you telling me he wouldn't? Don't see how on earth if the foul didn't happen that he didn't score considering Ponga was going the other way!
Knocked it on was never going to catch that, penalty yes penalty try no.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I also remember a 2012 game against the Tigers which went to Golden Point after we had a big winning sequence.

Robbie Farah missed a field goal with a similar wall in front of him in the first half of extra time.

Krisnan Inu iced the game in the 2nd period if extra time with a field goal from a bit wider than you normally expect.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knocked it on was never going to catch that, penalty yes penalty try no.
He was a metre out from the line lol and if he wasn't fouled he scores. If you don't think that's a penalty try bugger off the penalty try for good. Clear as day penalty try.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was a metre out from the line lol and if he wasn't fouled he scores. If you don't think that's a penalty try bugger off the penalty try for good. Clear as day penalty try.
So you think it’s a penalty try but yet you miss the knock on drop kick before?
Roosters got a penalty not a penalty try and the players was inside the try line for the same thing.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you think it’s a penalty try but yet you miss the knock on drop kick before?
Roosters got a penalty not a penalty try and the players was inside the try line for the same thing.
the Roosters one was incorrect, that should have been a penalty try as well. Was it a knock on not sure. But once it was deemed to be a kick, it met the threshold for a penalty try.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol every team does that when they are going for a field goal.
Doesn't make it right when the next team that does this gets penalised.

The word that will then come to mind is consistency, which is a word that shouldn't be used in the same sentence as NRL.