News ‘A hand grenade for your birthday’: Flanagan’s Panthers baptism of fire

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's the media for you. Anasta was crying out for Flanagan to be given a chance, and now he says he's not ready for first grade.

I admit that the Panthers will be a real test for him, but this is when good players stand up. If we go down by 60+ no-one will blame Kyle; that is going to to happen regardless of who we have at halfback.

Looks like Baz is getting his coaching tips from the Kennel.
I bet they will blame Kyle, and Ockie (even though he isn't playing.)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You know what everyone has missed?
The fact that hes on $400k and has a contract.
If the coach see's fit to play him he plays because thats his job.
Unreal isn't it!
Now clubs have to consider "DUTY OF CARE" when selecting reserves players and re-introducing a $400,000 player back into their teams.

Heard it all now.

Someone ask Gus about this "in Top 30 but not training with the team" issue. That sounds even too silly for Barrett to do.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well all the experts think Flanagan is/was our best option so let’s see how he goes against the panthers. If he really is our best option then we will see a difference in the team regardless if we win or lose

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I have made it to 2 training sessions (albeit not a large sample) and Flanagan with Burton spent quite a bit of time together, particularly kicking practises. They had a contest on kicking accuracy along the try line after training as well as a goal kicking competition. They seem to get on together pretty well, horsing around and geeing each other up. All of the halves (Averillo, Flanagan, Burton and Wakeham) spent some time together at both sessions, they had a short drill with JMK where he passed selectively to a half, cut out in front of one and then behind. They practised grubbers and lobs, JAC popped in as the catcher a couple of times.

Sorry if this is harsh but people who have never been to a single training session shouldn't be claiming that Flanagan hasn’t trained with the NRL team. He didn’t spend as much time as Averillo, but that’s understandable as he was first choice. But Flanagan on zero NRL team time is 100% solid gold bullshit.

Always a Bulldog

JMK pass selectively to a half? Cut out in front of one and then behind? Sounds great.

We don't seem to see anything like those practice drills happen on the gameday field tho. What's going wrong :(

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue with Flanno is he just turns the ball under all game nowhere near their defensive line. He simply refuses to dig into their line or have any running game whatsoever. I just don't get how any half makes the NRL that wont run. Unless the kid has some sort of holy epiphany I cant see anything changing. No one listens to Kent anymore & his 360 show will be gone by the end of the season. You cant play favorites and think fans will watch or listen to your dribble mate.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
well he has his chance again , lets see if he can do better than last years attempts. IF not he will never be seen again in 1st Grade.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Unreal isn't it!
Now clubs have to consider "DUTY OF CARE" when selecting reserves players and re-introducing a $400,000 player back into their teams.

Heard it all now.

Someone ask Gus about this "in Top 30 but not training with the team" issue. That sounds even too silly for Barrett to do.
yep.
I mean I couldnt care less if he plays now.
Baz has thrown away the pre season (which did show something of a change from previous years) so there will be no foundation to build apon.
Im no coach but even I can see that.
Avo, Wakes, Burton no longer matters.

Another thing that annoys me (which is everything as I get older :tearsofjoy:) is what does the word "coach" mean?
Avo surely hasnt reached his ceiling. His field position kicking was much better game 1 than previous years. He's always good for 1 grubber per game for repeat sets. Why wasnt this a focus pre-season. There is much to work on but why wasnt this just 1 element of his game they should have concentrated on because he has the ability to do so. Thurston would always go for repeat sets if a play wasnt on to apply pressure.
Instead of dropping Avo, why hasnt he been "coached" to improve his game?
Am I absolutely clueless how this game works lol?
Maybe Im just mad in the head.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have made it to 2 training sessions (albeit not a large sample) and Flanagan with Burton spent quite a bit of time together, particularly kicking practises. They had a contest on kicking accuracy along the try line after training as well as a goal kicking competition. They seem to get on together pretty well, horsing around and geeing each other up. All of the halves (Averillo, Flanagan, Burton and Wakeham) spent some time together at both sessions, they had a short drill with JMK where he passed selectively to a half, cut out in front of one and then behind. They practised grubbers and lobs, JAC popped in as the catcher a couple of times.

Sorry if this is harsh but people who have never been to a single training session shouldn't be claiming that Flanagan hasn’t trained with the NRL team. He didn’t spend as much time as Averillo, but that’s understandable as he was first choice. But Flanagan on zero NRL team time is 100% solid gold bullshit.

Always a Bulldog
So yet another piece of made up rubbish on NRL 360 (similar to the drone story). I actually thought the story may have had a chance to be true given that it would have come from Shane Flanagan. Obviously not.

The nepotism on Fox is embarrassing. They go on a love fest for Kyle ever since his dad has been an employee of fox. The same applies to JMK. Ennis praised him at half time last week. What game was he watching ?? His service was horrendous and was the major reason we didnt score a point. The halves were waiting for the ball and he was still standing up as the play the ball hit his foot.

If Benji wasnt at fox there is no way he makes that comment.

Not to mention the bias of the clubs that the commentators and analysts are associated with. Thats why we cop so much shit. No one still associated with the club is on the books there.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fuck me, i hate the flanagans when are they fucking off to leeds? Tired of seeing this non- talented lego figure to leave this club along with his families drama.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
yep.
I mean I couldnt care less if he plays now.
Baz has thrown away the pre season (which did show something of a change from previous years) so there will be no foundation to build apon.
Im no coach but even I can see that.
Avo, Wakes, Burton no longer matters.

Another thing that annoys me (which is everything as I get older :tearsofjoy:) is what does the word "coach" mean?
Avo surely hasnt reached his ceiling. His field position kicking was much better game 1 than previous years. He's always good for 1 grubber per game for repeat sets. Why wasnt this a focus pre-season. There is much to work on but why wasnt this just 1 element of his game they should have concentrated on because he has the ability to do so. Thurston would always go for repeat sets if a play wasnt on to apply pressure.
Instead of dropping Avo, why hasnt he been "coached" to improve his game?
Am I absolutely clueless how this game works lol?
Maybe Im just mad in the head.
Most of us wonder what is going on as well.

Ex-SOO/Kangaroo half now FG coach can't coach our halves to do the basics. Astonishing.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are getting paid half a million a year you do what your employer says. End of.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Any self respecting player (and his ex-coach/media personality father) would/should be absolutely so embarrassed at having a panel of league hacks carry on trying to protect the poor 23 y.o. with Duty of Care issues in finally being picked for first grade rugby league.

This is just highlighting to the public what a farce his career has turned into at Roosters and Bulldogs. If he had even just half way functioned as a "reasonable" fg 7, then he would be first pick in the team since game 1 2021 season.

80% of the controversy is on Kyle Flannagan and his form and ability, 10% on his incompetent coach and 10% on his petulant father who also leaked and hassled Robinson at Chooks.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us wonder what is going on as well.

Ex-SOO/Kangaroo half now FG coach can't coach our halves to do the basics. Astonishing.
Maybe they can’t be coached. Lots of ex players have praised Baz and his ability to coach ball players. Namely the halves at Penrith (plus Yeo) and DCE speaks highly of him.

What astounds me is our halves refusal to dig into the line. We do all of our ball playing well before the line and it’s easy for the defence.

Whether that’s bad coaching or bad execution I don’t know

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanagan senior getting his mates to make excuses for his son before he even takes the field.
Flanagan just needs to do his job well - which should be simply to kick well, engage the defensive line, provide his edge with good ball, have a go in defence and support through the middle.
If he does that he stays in first grade, if he reverts back to 2021 form then he can head back to reserve grade.
This duty of care bullshit is a joke, if he's not mentally strong enough to handle the pressure and expectations then he needs a change of career.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This whole mess is embarrassing everyone is laughing at us.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe they can’t be coached. Lots of ex players have praised Baz and his ability to coach ball players. Namely the halves at Penrith (plus Yeo) and DCE speaks highly of him.

What astounds me is our halves refusal to dig into the line. We do all of our ball playing well before the line and it’s easy for the defence.

Well the coach is responsible for their plays and its obvious our halves need to dig into the defensive line. 101.

We don't have any other plan or the skilled players to execute well before the line...so what else can Barrett coach if not take on the line and create with holes abd short passes and offloads at the line.

Thats all on the coach to recognise isnt it?

Bad coaching or execution
... really doesn't matter at this stage...it's not working so the coach is the only one who can fix it (if he has the ability).

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Shit show with shit presenters, imagine having Anasta as a host of any tv show. They’re just whingers who complain no matter what we do. All I’ll say is Barrett makes himself an easy target with his selections though.
And if he didn't change anything after a 44 nil loss he would be an easy target then too.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sobering reflection on just how inept Baz is as a head coach. His coaching staff aren’t NRL standard, his poor judgement / obsession with Averillo as the HB solution. Not one player has improved under his tenure. The players’ body language since the Sharks trial match has been
Poor. Appears there is no leadership or initiative within the coaching staff & even more concerning within the playing roster.