Search results

1. T

Opinion Blake Taffee

After watching the replay of our Knights game a couple of times, I must say, I was quite impressed by Taafe’s 12-13 minutes @ HB. Short though it was, he was out there chirping away, heavily involved and let the ball reach our back line several times utilising our weapons. Resulting in a try on...
  2. T

News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

And one thing is for sure, he is hugely unlikely to ever play NRL level again nor will any club sign him with that history. Sounds like someone got in his ear about “lawyering up” and “sue the bastards”. Bad decision. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. T

News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Agree. What that whole sad exercise proved, was that the physical / mental standards & expectations of an NRL player were not something Topine could handle nor meet. Handy NSW cup player but not suited to NRL. Goodbye & good luck. Hope our lawyers can avoid a long expensive drawn out case.
  4. T

News The young gun “with the world at his feet”

I think you’re right re Skelton. I bit like Hayward, (HB/hooker) to get considered and noticed he may need to develop more flexible positional skills. But agree he needs to be somehow given a shot at NRL level.
  5. T

Opinion Next 7 weeks - chance to climb the ladder

Couldn’t agree more. Widely varying opinions on TK, but am also of the view that Taafe/Sexton are clearly better options than Hutch, until O’Neil is ready. I also feel we need to get players like Suluka-Fifita, Tetevano, Hoffman consistently back on the field asap to bolster our forward pack...
  6. T

Opinion Next 7 weeks - chance to climb the ladder

Yes those 2 matches should have been Dogs wins. IMO blew good chances with both. Hopefully we learnt from that, how to close out matches. However what’s done is done. Need to look to matches ahead Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. T

News Hull FC target Canterbury Bulldogs full-back as Richie Myler closes in on first signing

Yep good move for Hayze. I think he’ll do well. He should take it if offered. No future @ Bulldigs for Hayze anymore. Agree re the others however Tetevano is an odd one. Recent recruit and yet to play NRL (injury still?). Not totally clear why we bought him so late in his career Sent from my...
  8. T

OFFICIAL | POST-GAME Round 7 | Post game | Bulldogs 36 - 12 Knights

Yes we can only assume CC/JT have something planned here, as the attacking and defensive prowess of our team is now accelerating exponentially each week. Hutch doesn’t seem to fit attack-wise IMO. He essentially plays somewhat like Flanno when he was with us. Reasonable/good defence & doing...
  9. T

OFFICIAL | POST-GAME Round 7 | Post game | Bulldogs 36 - 12 Knights

Yep ecstatic at last after so many years of gloom. Gives a real lift to the weekend. Each game we now regularly seeing 7-8 players running 100m or more. Really getting some go forward and finally winning >50% possession share. Missed tackles this week have been kept under 10% again. Yay...
  10. T

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 7 | Pre game / Game Day | Bulldogs vs Knights

Yes agree. CC talks about the boys now having belief in what they are doing. However if unlucky, narrow (“brave”) losses continue, that belief will rapidly dissipate & we will see a repeat of 2023. A couple of solid back to back wins will do wonders for confidence in our system. Looking at the...
  11. T

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 7 | Pre game / Game Day | Bulldogs vs Knights

I’d agree. In fact Tracey might be an interesting option. From what I can see of his junior’s history, he played a lot in the halves. However imo, he needs firstly to spend some time in Cup at HB or 5/8 to see what he can do. In the short term I’d agree also that Taafe or Sexton would be worth...
  12. T

Other News Source James Fisher- Harris Signs with Warriors 2025

Yep exactly. The Broncos, Warriors, Storm, Eels, Manly & Panthers look quite different teams, coming back to the field, when they lose their star organising halves pairing. Unfortunately most of them take some years to develop (Cleary is somewhat the outlier). However I hope & pray, that we get...
  13. T

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 6 | Post Game | Storm 16 - 14 Bulldogs

Indeed, Hutch is really not steering the team around the field. Sexton or Taafe have surely got to be better options……at least until someone like O’Neil is ready. Crichton our elite buy, is still not seeing enough ball at in the backline, although at least kiraz, xerri and JAC all ran huge...
  14. T

Well fair enough. Kinda feel the same after so long doing nothing but losing, without even a whimper. At least we are now competitive. Winning most of the game stats and plenty of positives. However what leaves me hugely frustrated is that both the South’s & Storm losses were games we should...
  15. T

Official NSW CUP Jersey Flegg Ron Massey Scores ,Squads and Team News 2024

Yeh info was all over the place. I was using Flashscore app. Yes it now has Sexton 2 tries and 3 goals (14 pts). Top effort against top Cup team. He must surely be pushing for NRL HB start next up Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. T

Dogs 26-20 @ 78 min Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. T

Dogs lead 26-16 @ 5 min to go Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. T

Yup - Vale 2nd try Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. T

22-16 Dogs Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. T

Yep indeed. There were 3 Dogs players adjacent to the tackler (Kiraz?), who stood by, watching it unfold. 1-2 extra players in that tackle would most likely have stopped the infield kick and try. Some players still just not switched on and leave it to others. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  21. T

Yep we just need a HB to steer our team. Certainly Hutch is not the answer imo. Sexton (maybe or not), or Joseph O’Neill? I think CC needs to take a further serious look at O’Neill in Cup, with a view to NRL debut mid season or so. Looked more than competent in NRL pre-season trials. Need to...
  22. T

Agree. Really proud of our effort today, especially with several players out. A highly competitive performance. What I’ve been waiting for, for the last 3-4 years. At last. Some great stats. 7 guys had >100 RM. (2 over 200, 1 over 300). Won the possession, RM, LB and offload battles. Some great...
  23. T

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

Yeah you’re right. Hadn’t seen that. Imo now, it is likely Kikau didn’t pass because Tracey was clobbered beforehand. Yes agree. Had kikau actually tried to pass it was penalty + 10 in bin for Roster professional foul. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  24. T

Yes, the 2nd ref was brought in because of the perception that the game was becoming too fast, hectic and complex for 1 ref to manage alone. Was hoped it would take away the obvious missed events that can turn games and to manage the ruck and 10 metre rule, which was becoming too “skinny” under...
  25. T

You make a good point re Atkins. IMO these “6 again happy refs”, are a function of them being unable to physically and mentally keep pace with pace of game events. They’re just a step behind. So the “6 again” is now a convenient way to keep game flowing (the official view) and shift...
  26. T

Been following the Blue ‘n whites for decades. Leading 26-0 end H1, I thought I could relax in H2 and luxuriate in a rare (possibly) 34-10 /40-10 win or similar. However no way. Oh you Bulldogs!! What an H2 capitulation. I can only think that numerous injuries brought us undone. However H1 did...
  27. T

Yes agree. Manu scores landing SHORT and rolling the ball over the line without losing contact with the ball and TRY!! Last week Morrin lands the ball on the line, rolls it forward and “knock on, no try”. Can’t figure the decisions!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  28. T

Because we were scrambling to keep up with 12 men. We have several well paid internationals but struggled to see any one of those guys stand up, as a leader in H2, who could turn it around. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  29. T

Probable team to face the Roosters in Round 5

Yep after 4 rounds the ball is just not getting out the back to our speedsters. Our elite player Crichton has averaged just 10 runs for just over 100 metres per game. His stats should be at least double that (20/200). Need Crichton more involved from FB & a change in the halves. Hutch out &...
  30. T

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Thread | Bulldogs 16 - 20 Souths

Frankly I struggle to understand the Morrin “no try”. Yes the ball rolled out forward from under his arm as momentum carried him over the line. At no stage did he lose contact with the ball nor fail to get downward pressure. Try imo. Anyhow the ruling by bunker was unfortunately consistent with...
  31. T

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Thread | Bulldogs 16 - 20 Souths

Yes agree. I have been yearning for a competitive performance by our team, win lose or draw. We got that yesterday. We were most unlucky not to get 3-4 more tries and win in a canter. Foxsports summed it well….the one that got away…. We dominated for long periods, won the possession and run...
  32. T

Opinion Blake Taffee

Yep agree thought he played well at the back. Looked solid and 2 of his kicks for the backs, close to the line were very effective, one leading ti a try. Definitely worth persisting with. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  33. T

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Thread round 3 | Bulldogs 32 - 0 Titans

At last some winning stats. >80% completions, 56% possession, Dogs had 33% more run meters than Titans, Titans 40 missed tackles v Dogs 26. That is broadly what we need each week and we’ll win plenty!!!
  34. T

Opinion Hmmm…

Yup we have a lot of talent in our team. We played a very competitive 50-60 min against the Sharks but lacked line break fire power when we and the Sharks, started to tire thereafter. 77% completion/44% possession is never going to win us many matches, unless we have our elite players in the...
  35. T

News Kikau’s Comeback Season

Well I really hope u r right. Ever since we originally bought him, I had this nagging concern that once he was separated from Cleary/Luai, he was just not another repeat of the ineffective Tony Williams when he was split from Foran/DCE. I think Kikau is a much more skilled & intelligent player...
  36. T

News Teams Tips Vs Parramatta Updated

Gus has given 2 or 3 different come back dates now. Don’t think he is lying, just giving us fans feedback from the training team/physios as he receives it. Suggest physios are the ones regularly changing the return date. Seems like Tracey is not progressing as well as they expected, so that he...
  37. T

News 'Minister' Tetevano to preach hard training at Bulldogs

Well if he is still that same guy and can do it all again, then sounds like a solid signing and team addition, as we build a winning culture. Gus does seem to be targeting some cheap “NRL lifeline” signings, that no one else wants. They may not all work, but some may serve to be a good temp...
  38. T

News Trial Takeaways: Problems abound for Dogs after Sharks loss (Roar)

Nothing but negative crap about the Bulldogs performance, with lots of excuses for any of the Sharks shortcomings. No other club continuously cops these sort of “doom” articles from the press, just looking for clicks & to extend their mindlessly negative narrative regarding a club that has...
  39. T

News NRL Pre-Season Challenge: Bulldogs name halfback for match two

Imo defence again top draw and held Cronulla out most of the game. Resilient under pressure. Major positive. But too many errors H1, & not much (again) doing in attack. Very disjointed. Still work to be done to find someone to steer our team around.
  40. T

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Game day Thread vs. Storm: Trial 1 @ Belmore, 7pm

Overall pretty good performance for first hit out for a new team. A tad disappointing we couldn’t do more with all that possession in the first half. But that will come. Otherwise a big point for me (v 2023), is our defence. Pinned Storm at their end, nearly the whole match. Some good combos...
  41. T

News Player who walked out

I doubt any NRL team will touch him. ESL perhaps (?) The last we will see of Topine in a Dogs jumper. I doubt any of the boys would want him back at training. Blew up his own career.
  42. T

Rumour AFB & JT

From what I see with most successful people, they repeat & rinse their successful strategies. Will see if Flanagan Snr, can adapt in a very different NRL world, to the last time back in 2016. I am doubtful
  43. T

Membership 2024

22,000 in another poor ‘23, sounds not too shabby really. From what I can find for 2023 we were sitting about 6th ranking or so. If we start winning consistently & challenge for the 8 again, we will see a turbo boost here. A successful Dogs are really essential for NRL competition health. Not...
  44. T

News Signed 2 years. Suluka Fifita

Harsh…..but fair
  45. T

Entire 2021 squad gone.

Yeh ok, not at all ideal. Certainly any new recruits will come to a Club/team that has no culture base to adopt, except perhaps a long ago (forgotten?) Dogs of War culture from way back in the 80/90’s. However since this junior base of “Dogs” talent, was dismantled by previous...
  46. T

No Source TPJ Rumours seem Legit ..

Yep agree, sets a precedent for others. Wants to get out of contract, “Retire”/get a release, say they are going to another sport, realise NRL is actually their “thing” after all, sign up to a new contract for a “fresh start at another club…..rinse and repeat…all too easy.
  47. T

Phil Gould and Bulldogs land signature of 'lightning' nephew of Kiwi legend

Yep indeed. Each year I hope for year on year incremental improvement. The recruitment mostly looks good and seems to have us heading in the right direction both in the NRL team and Juniors. However Gus tells us to have patience….since 2020 when Bulldogs & Broncos both “finished last” on 6...
  48. T

Official Gus on Twitter

Too many years of experience by the time signed
  49. T

Opinion Pre Season Training

Your comment makes me think about Beetson’s hit early on, in 1980 first origin. Set the tone and inspired his team for future games and the series. Ie QLD were in it to win!!
  50. T

Opinion Pre Season Training

Age and old injuries are catching up
  51. T

Retired NRL star Tevita Pangai Jr has been spotted at Brisbane Broncos training fuelling speculation he could be eyeing a return to rugby league.

You’re spot on here. This is the strength of both Bennett and Bellamy as coaches. Simplify roles for the majority and leave the leading & complex game management to a few players like Thurston, Cam Smith, Cronk, Maloney, Cleary et al. Such “thinkers” are a highly valuable and rare commodity in...
  52. T

Retired NRL star Tevita Pangai Jr has been spotted at Brisbane Broncos training fuelling speculation he could be eyeing a return to rugby league.

Seems like Tantrum Pangai’s problem was with our club and staff. He’s a problem child everywhere he goes. The boxing was just a conveniently concocted excuse to turn his back……..NRLol should not allow him to benefit until, at least, the end of his last Dogs contract was due to finish. SMH
  53. T

Official Mitchell Woods secures future at Belmore

Mighty impressive, great step and speed. Looks a real talent. Firstly Conti and now Woods. Very well done Gus. Setting us up for future success.
  54. T

BULLDOGS PLAYER TRADE

Yeh agree. Cannot see us trading any of the newly acquired players before they’ve even played a game for us. What would that say about the Dogs, as a destination for any future desirable recruit? Only would be a negative impact for us. Gus/CC may potentially consider trading one of the aspiring...
  55. T

Can we all get on the same page

Would not agree with that all. We have a pretty good squad, with more depth than ‘23. A few gaps in forwards still I guess, but competitive all the same. I think we all saw how competitive we were at beginning (first 5-6 rounds) last season, until injuries tore us apart. While perhaps top 8...
  56. T

Burtons best position?

At least we hopefully now have more talent in our roster to take all the focus, solely off Burton.
  57. T

Official Gus on Twitter

Yep good point. Every team needs 1-2 tough hard workers like Morrin senior, in their 17. All attitude. Yeh agree re TPJ, what a waste of talent, due to not having the right mental attitude.
  58. T

Official Gus on Twitter

Yes I can almost guarantee it. Am sure there is some journalist or another, monitoring all the club social media fan sites for rumours and “news”.
  59. T

Predicted Line up from NRL.com

I’d agree & just settle for what Gus mentioned in the Bloke in a Bar. Just to be happy with incremental improvement each year. Well we have turned over our roster around 3-4x in the last 3-4 years, & that incremental improvement has really yet to happen. I’m hopeful for 2024 (as you said), we...
  60. T

Official Gus on Twitter

Yes agree. Trey & Terrel would be 2 great acquisitions for ‘24 if Gus can pull it off. Along with King, Knight, Preston, Curran, Mann, Hughes, Patolo and kikau would give us some grunt and go forward up front, in coming season. Go you Doggies. Btw is that Willison ex Broncos you are talking...
  61. T

Opinion Who was your Bulldogs Idol/s when you were growing up?

Johnny Greaves, John Rhodes and Lol George Taylforth.
  62. T

Opinion Martin Taupau home coming?

Yes I think they’ll still be top a 4 contender, but these 3x personnel losses are crucial for them. Even in 2023 with their optimal team they were still beaten by a Cleary master class. I believe with these 3 personnel losses, they will lose that premiership winning edge
  63. T

WWOS MOLE Terrell May

Volkman a junior ex Cabramatta I think- is that Bulldogs junior?
  64. T

WWOS MOLE Terrell May

Yup Bulldogs + Gould + Ciraldo = even more clicks
  65. T

SMH Luai

If that’s true, then really surprised he didn’t choose to stay with his bro @ Riff where he is vital cog in a winning team. Long contract at Tigers, a bottom of table club, currently in turmoil. I guess he’s really only after the money, to use & share his wealth to buy real estate to set up his...
  66. T

Opinion Why Canterbury believes its utility player strategy can help get the club back on track

I got lost somewhere on the 3rd line but….hell it sounds mighty impressive, so I’ll run with your technical explanation of Gus’s strategy. Sounds good to me….[emoji5]
  67. T

News Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has been caught in another clandestine meeting, this time with a potential signing — New Zealand Warriors forwa

Yeh, fair point, but IMO, stats are a handy guide but can be very misleading. Hayze Perham’s stats over 19 games in 2023, look fairly robust. Consistently >150 running metres, nearly 3 tackle breaks per game in a bottom tier team. Yet we know his shortcomings. Most are pushing to move him on...
  68. T

Rumour Addin Fonua-Blake

Always good to support an opinion with a few stats where possible. Not a major difference, really. AFB 5-10% better in most. Yeh, however raw stats don’t always tell the full story. Ie. was it based on same no’ games, minutes on field, when came on and off during the game, who was playing on...
  69. T

Opinion Fanoua Blake in Kikau out

I assume it must have some contract $ ratchet clause. $1.0mill per season for 8 years is a lot now. But in 3-4 years time, he would likely be looking for more each year. $1.0mill each year might look like a bargain by then
  70. T

News What exactly are Phil Gould and his Bulldogs up to?

Yes. If both Thompson & RFM delivered in 2023 to meet expectations then we would have finished in/close to top 8. Unfortunately they were mostly, perpetually ill/suspended/injured/homesick/complaining.
  71. T

News Jarome Luai meets with bulldogs as tigers ante the heat

Yes surely we are not blowing $1.0mill ++ on Luai when AFB is still in the frame?
  72. T

Fox Sports Klemmer

Oh ok. Hadn’t thought about that. Then why don’t the mods just throw them off TK?
  73. T

Fox Sports Klemmer

While I agree that was an overly long essay, that is hard to read in one sitting, and does tend to ramble, I don’t mind such analyses from time to time. Too much now, is just “news grab, short message”. A lot of thought goes in to writing this & well done overall. While I don’t agree with...
  74. T

Opinion New Young #7 from the Sharks.

Yup go Gus Woods, Conti, Fuz. Things are looking bright
  75. T

News Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has been caught in another clandestine meeting, this time with a potential signing — New Zealand Warriors forwa

Yeh totally agree. Yes, ok from time to time there will be missed steps, & we can’t recruit everyone. At least we are “at the table” negotiating with AFB & others. Gus is doing a great job pulling in new senior talent & growing/recruiting the best junior talent for a bright future. The press...
  76. T

A story to get clicks for “this masthead”. Uses words like “caught” & “clandestine” to imply something negative, improper or illegal. Of course the meetings are in private!!!! It’s just Gus doing his job & I would be disappointed if he didn’t meet with AFB to sound him out as a potential...
  77. T

Opinion Update on Signings

Not sure how DT conclude, that now we have entered the signature race, we have pulled ahead of St George?
  78. T

Dogs win code war for ‘one of the most extraordinary young talents you can ever imagine’

We once had a production line of talent with SBW, Thurston, Sherwin, Klemmer, Reynolds, Jackson, Finucane among others. Once again re-establishing junior talent pipelines & grabbing top talent from regional areas when they are 15-17yo will pay dividends 3-5 years later. Gus has the right...
  79. T

Official Gus on Twitter

Broncos are specials to win in ‘24. They had it won in ‘23 until Cleary intervened & single-handedly won the game for the Panthers. U need to lose one to win one. Now it’s the Broncos turn. I’m just praying the Dogs can scramble in the bottom end of the 8. That step up alone would make the Dogs...
  80. T

WWOS MOLE Terrell May

Awww…c’mon MayT
  81. T

PREDICTED 2024 NRL LADDER - FOX (we're tipped to finish 17th)

That ranking doesn’t tell me what I want to hear…..hence I will choose to ignore it…
  82. T

Opinion Who would make the biggest difference / Who would you buy for 2025 ?

Yes agree 1. AFB 2. MayT 3. Deardon (rather than Luai)
  83. T

Sio Siua Taukeiaho Signed

Particularly when he admitted he was done with the NRL some months / year or so back. Body was no longer up to it. So what has changed in the meantime……$$$?
  84. T

Where do the Bulldogs Finish in 2024 ?

9th - 12th. More competitive than 2023 due to back line upgrades, but will fade as season goes on, as our smaller forwards pick up injuries & get dominated by top 8 teams. This will change if we pick up a couple more meter eating bigger bodies (oh where was Vaughan when u need him?)
  85. T

News Buzz Rothfield dribble column

Lol good piece
  86. T

Given where we are now I’d agree. However starting last season with Thompson (English captain & arguably the world no’ 1 prop), RFM, Kikau, Pele, King, Mahoney, Preston, Sutton, Waddell, Pele (Hughes, Edwards, Morrin coming thru) et al, our forward stocks looked good for 2023/24. Due to...
  87. T

Sounds a bit like another Pele….agree may be worth a punt on 1 year contract to see how he goes
  88. T

Official Gus on Twitter

I’d agree a couple of big middles ie props, would do nicely and needed. However I just feel that the club seems more focussed on smaller utilities….if u can believe all the (social) media speculation. I think it’s probably somewhat a function of the dearth of such “big middle” talent available...
  89. T

Curran signed.

Yeh if Curran can continue that form he’ll be a top buy. However ponder how much of that great line running was due to Johnson organising the ruck beforehand. We may still see line break issues unless Sexton/Burton can step up & consistently get their hands on the ball to organise every...
  90. T

Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

Yes I’d agree to a certain extent, but Gus also needs to accept that (despite our lack of recent success), our brand & supporter base are a key reason why we are still an attractive proposition for sponsors & prospective players. He needs to look after (not ignore) our supporters/fans more. Lack...
  91. T

Nathan merritt on life support

Yup great news indeed. Will be quite concerning about what damage has been done to brain/organs by this event. Hopefully back on deck soon.
  92. T

Zyon Maiu'u

Yes lots of powerful individually talented players @ Warriors. However very few are capable of leading a team around the paddock. Their individual athleticism & line breaking ability, often wanes once they hit 25-26yo in NRL standard games. One of the key reasons the Warriors lifted from 15th to...
  93. T

Your predictions for our 8-9 new signings

won’t that imply those yet to be announced are for 2025?
  94. T

Official Bulldoggs is the 11th most Supported NRL team in the NRL - Roy Morgan

I think our supporter numbers are somewhat a function of our poor on-field performance. Becoming consistent semi-finalists will turbo boost our numbers again. Very odd numbers really esp as Penrith after 3 consecutive titles does not sit as high as expected. I query the ranking accuracy.
  95. T

Corey Wadell

Yeh agree good hard worker. It’s a pity we didn’t have a couple more like him, this season. Then perhaps our middle would not have been shredded so easily.
  96. T

Why can't officiating in the regular season be like the GF?

Couldn’t agree more. The game was a real highlight to showcase the wonderful game that is Rugby league. Not the over-refereed and officiated 6-again game that is now the product dished up by NRL. Why such a change by NRL for the biggest game of the year? [emoji848]
  97. T

Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

Yep I agree but still feel we are a little light on in the forwards. A couple of bigger bodies to dominate more, up front & middle will bring out the best in our backline. Thompson the English team captain, was bought in at large $, to lead the forwards. Really didn’t deliver at all.
  98. T

Official Gus on Twitter

Well perhaps we are now seeing the benefits of Gus’s juniors recruitment program filtering through. Even SGBall are not far off, with only 1 win adrift from the finals. However SG Ball is very hit and miss with the luck of the draw, with only 9 rounds in a 16 team comp.