Search results

1. xanderalexander

Match Report

While Waddell had his usual sub-par performance with 4 knock ons, I was stunned at his skill and evasion in setting up that try for Paul Vaughan. He played a big part!
  2. xanderalexander

Match Report

The call I was most disappointed with was the high shot on Waddell that then finished up with a knock-on. While I have been far more impressed with JMK, I was pretty dirty that he wasted the captain's challenge so early on in the game.
  3. xanderalexander

Match Report

Thanks bud!
  4. xanderalexander

Match Report

The lead changed seven times in this engaging encounter, with the win cementing the South Sydney Rabbitohs place in the top eight following their win over the Canterbury Bulldogs. Late withdrawals were always going to be an issue in the first round match after a gruelling State of Origin...
  5. xanderalexander

Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

I don't think anyone on NRL 360 should be paid an ounce of attention. Having said that, Burton is someone I'd love to build our next 5 years around at the very least. He's young, uber-talented, driven and seems to have a very level head. And we have seen nowhere near his best. I'd offer $900K...
  6. xanderalexander

News Cross Ricky Stuart rumour off

There's not enough of this, where players/coaches wear their heart on their sleeve and define clearly who they want to coach. Some are in it for the coin, and some are in for the passion. I'd give strong consideration to *any* player or coach who expressed a strong desire to wanting to be in...
  7. xanderalexander

News Potter tipped to remain at the helm following Bulldogs resurgence

If it was announced now, it would undermine the salvaging of 2022 that Mick Potter is doing a great job with. If there is a Flanagan contract, it might be for 2023 and he might be onboarding already. Throwing another new coach at the Bulldogs within 6 weeks of the last - when they're starting...
  8. xanderalexander

News Bulldogs hard man Luke Thompson rushes home to England 'in an emotional state' to deal with a mystery family issue

Hoping all is well for him and his family. As I always say, I highly respect every single player that puts on the blue and white. But my love for this team means that I will passionately call out players who aren't performing, or who (in my opinion) aren't offering value for money. Luke...
  9. xanderalexander

Head Coach - What's the Technical Requirement?

Well said. I remember Gus being asked about 'gun' assistant coaches like Ciraldo. He replied saying that they were gun assistant coaches but could not fathom the step up in responsibilities, ie management of various groups, media, marketing and sponsors, KPI's and the actual job of coaching. He...
  10. xanderalexander

LOL I'd say that's a Bulldogs mandate, not an NRL mandate.
  11. xanderalexander

Is there a requirement for us to install a head coach as a NRL-mandated technicality? Surely Potter could continue to be 'interim' for 2023 as well if it's in the interests of securing the right coach, as opposed to the 'available now' coach. Yes, Barrett quit in 2022. Does that mean we need...
  12. xanderalexander

Old Habits Die Hard

Agreed... "...In today's modern game, the FRF and 2RF should be battling up-field and being staunch in defence through the middle. They should not be heavily involved when a team is close to the try line, unless working a crash play or running a defender-attracting decoy...."
  13. xanderalexander

Old Habits Die Hard

I played footy for over a decade growing up and I try to watch every match every round. I also read and listen to a variety of footy commentators, weekly. I have *never* understood why play-makers so consistently just go through the motions for the first four tackles and leave the 'big play' or...
  14. xanderalexander

Match Report - Dogs vs Tigers

Just want to thank everyone above for the kind comments! Go doggies :triumph:
  15. xanderalexander

Old Habits Die Hard

While I'm thrilled about the last two rounds, there is one aspect of the game that desperately needs cleaning up. I'm a big fan of listening to Cooper Cronk analyse games and he makes a point that is has lately been repeated by the likes of Greg Alexander, Andrew Voss, Andrew Johns, Warren...
  16. xanderalexander

Same but I was not upset when the try was confirmed
  17. xanderalexander

Rd 15 vs Tigers 3-2-1

3. Schoupp 2. King 1. Addo Carr special mention - RFM, TPJ, JMK and Burton
  18. xanderalexander

Hey peeps I wrote this match report. Please give us a click and a read? https://www.nrlnews.com/2022/06/19/canterbury-bulldogs-record-back-to-back-wins-for-the-first-time-since-2019-with-victory-over-the-wests-tigers/ Go doggies!
  19. xanderalexander

Isn't great not having Okunbor in the team?

"...slower than a ship turning around..." FMD I'm on the floor :tearsofjoy:
  20. xanderalexander

Rumour Ciraldo?

Yes, that's my point. And a few days ago Gus made the same point. An assistant coach to a successful head coach (ie Barrett or Ciraldo to Cleary) can often be trumpeted as the next big thing. But take that assistant out of that excellent system and ask the question, who would be that assistant...
  21. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

Well said.
  22. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

Stepping in as devil's advocate here, Flanagan's role in the drug saga was that he casually dismissed enquiries regarding what players were being given in the form of supplements and injections, and that he brought the key player Stephen Dank to the club in the first place. While it might be...
  23. xanderalexander

Opinion Potter should be our coach!

I don't think anyone on this forum so correctly analyses the situations as well as c-b-b. Nails it every time.
  24. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

Agreed and agreed. My order of preference for the coaching gig is now as follows: 1. Flanagan 2. Woolf 3. Potter 4. Ciraldo 5. Madge 6. Holbrook 7. Walker brothers 8. Dymock 9. Fittler 10. Brown
  25. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

I agree, but that also sort of proves my point. The Dogs came with a win-at-all-costs attitude yesterday. It has been stated (correctly) that TPJ brought an aggression that rattled the Eels. This is the Dogs of War mentality that has been missing for many years. A rattled team does not play...
  26. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

There are a few threads that have popped up overnight literally calling for him to be installed immediately. Quite a few supporters of that move, right here in The Kennel. Also, the media is starting to blow the horns for Potter, eg that article from 'journalist' Paul Crowley.
  27. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

Out of everything that happened yesterday, I think that was my favourite moment. By Burton's reaction, I think it was his favourite too.
  28. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

I agree with the positivity for the Dogs. This was their best game for years. But Parramatta were definitely a long way below their best.
  29. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

I was pretty annoyed (but not surprised) when Moses was interviewed after the match. He did not say one positive thing about the Bulldogs or their excellent performance.
  30. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

I think he's referring to first grade.
  31. xanderalexander

Cool Your Jets

The Bulldogs need a coach for 2023 and beyond. A few thoughts: 1. I was a big advocate about Potter being interim coach, and while there has been noticeable improvement, I’m not jumping the gun and asking for him to be installed after one win. Parramatta were dreadful, as good as we were. 2...
  32. xanderalexander

Averillo Haters

I’d like to think that criticism at The Kennel is based on performance on and off the field alone. Averillo (for a long time) has been touted as a fullback. It hasn’t been until very recently that he’s had a crack at it. He is doing well, far better than Dufty or Allan in my opinion. That...
  33. xanderalexander

What I want vs tigers

Ha ha yep okay that's a good point!
  34. xanderalexander

1% plays

The attack was excellent but it was the defense the most satisfied me.
  35. xanderalexander

What I want vs tigers

The way we played tonight, the only teams we wouldn't have beaten are Panthers and Storm. It was an exceptional effort all round, and there is still room for improvement, ie getting rid of the piggy back penalties that invite the opposition up the field.
  36. xanderalexander

burton 10 year deal

He's really coming into his own and while he's not perfect, he is only getting better each and every game. He brings enormous influence and talent. We need to build the club around him.
  37. xanderalexander

Rumour Ciraldo?

He's going to be a great FG coach but not in his first year. He's the best assistant coach going around but at this stage (5-6 years of absolute mediocrity), Flanagan or Woolf should be the shortlist, not someone untested in the big chair.
  38. xanderalexander

Topine should leave

Topine has been in the first grade team a couple of times in 2022 and 2021 and hasn't cemented a spot for whatever reason. He's a great player but maybe he's under very specific instructions to achieve a few things in reggies before the FG spot is officially his.
  39. xanderalexander

Vaughan deserves to be re-signed.

No to Vaughan. He has a good game every few games but he's past it. Thompson, Vaughan and Jackson all need to be let go.
  40. xanderalexander

Opinion Potter should be our coach!

Head Coach: Shane Flanagan Assistant Coach: Mick Potter Assistant Coach: James Graham Assistant Coach: Michael Ennis
  41. xanderalexander

Jacob Kiraz

He's like a Daniel Tupou with energy
  42. xanderalexander

Here's the thing about 2024

It’s not just having the funds to buy. The player has to want to come here. If they don’t, we end up paying overs.
  43. xanderalexander

Drinkwater at 7? Not sure about that one..
  44. xanderalexander

Official Team List Round 12 v Dragons + Match Discussion

The comment was more about Stimson, who has done nothing since arriving at the club.
  45. xanderalexander

Official Team List Round 12 v Dragons + Match Discussion

TPJ out, Stimson in. Forfeit now.
  46. xanderalexander

News ‘Didn’t storm out’: Naden opens up on Bulldogs exit as heart to heart with Gus revealed

"Gus (Gould) sat me down and said we’ve got a lot of young centres coming through and a lot of pressure and stuff,” Naden said." Gus identified a problem and dealt with it immediately. This should fill fans with immense confidence.
  47. xanderalexander

ZDC Preparing to Play Hooker

Fuck that just made me hungry.
  48. xanderalexander

Should we play Clive Palmer at fullback then? If you don’t care, that is..
  49. xanderalexander

No mention of JAC playing fullback, just that he was in ‘full flight’. We may see ZDC share minutes with JMK initially, but with 12 or so rounds to go, and Mahoney on the horizon, I’d love someone to push JMK out of second fiddle.
  50. xanderalexander

Zach Dockar-Clay had an extended run at hooker during training yesterday, lending rise to the possibility that the coach realises it’s an area ripe for immediate change. This is good news for people like me who believe that JMK is JNK.
  51. xanderalexander

That is quite literally the worst possible attitude to have if you are an athlete or sporting organisation. The French Open tennis tournament has just started. There are 128 players in round one. Should 120 of them not even bother having a crack?
  52. xanderalexander

News The Bulldogs in danger of losing sponsor

Dear Arthur Laundy, We don't want you or your family around our family club. And keep your fucking stupid opinions about team selections to yourself. _______________________ "Baini claims that she was in a consensual relationship with the former minister and Reid MP Craig Laundy, whose family...
  53. xanderalexander

Barrett knew axe could fall if Dogs lost to Knights

Weidler constantly writes his stories as though he's uncovered something that isn't already known by the entire rugby league community.
  54. xanderalexander

News ‘Can’t look anywhere else’: Ennis’ passionate Bulldogs plea in huge Flanagan endorsement

This: Continuing on from allowing players to play the game how they wanted, Ennis recalls a conversation with Flanagan that underpinned that sentiment. “I came out of a Bulldogs system where under Des there was a real type of game plan that I had to play to,” Ennis said. “When I got to...
  55. xanderalexander

News Kyle Flanagan on dad Shane’s coaching ambition

I long for the days where our team was called 'The Entertainers'. With the exception of Burton, we don't really have any players who can play 'eyes up' footy. Since Hasler, our team has been 'shackled' with heavy structure - the kind that sees us at the top of the comp in terms of completions...
  56. xanderalexander

News DOGS’ IDENTITY CRISIS COMES BACK TO BITE

Let me get this straight: Riccio claims the bulldogs have no 'identity' because players that used to play for the Bulldogs now play for other clubs? Is this guy high or what? Is this what passes for journalism these days? The list of players he identifies hardly encapsulate what the majority...
  57. xanderalexander

News Shane Flanagan puts his hand up to lead the basket case Bulldogs

Yep but I was responding to someone who wanted Kyle Flanagan nowhere near the joint in 2023. New coach starts at the Bulldogs in 2023 which means unless we buy one of the above, Kyle is likely our 2023 halfback.
  58. xanderalexander

Tone it down a bit mate. Here are some of the NRL's top players (Dally M) over the past 3-5 years that have arguably have dropped considerably in form. Let me know if you think they're still the top of the game after a few more comps under their belt. Jack Wighton Aaron Woods Shaun Johnson...
  59. xanderalexander

Central west bulldogs..

This idea is about as clever as Benny Elias suggesting that Magic Round matches should be worth 4 competition points.
  60. xanderalexander

Joe Stimson and Corey Waddell

The problem with Stimson is he looked good coming from the Melbourne system. The problem with Waddell is he looked good coming from the Sea Eagles system. They're both fucking shithouse.
  61. xanderalexander

We will need a top-tier halfback ($1.2m max)... Halves off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Munster, Drinkwater, Dylan Brown, Ben Hunt, Sam Walker, Hastings I don't see anyone else at the Bulldogs that would occupy the spot better than Flanagan for next year. As for 2024, it's...
  62. xanderalexander

To be very honest, if Shane Flanagan can get the best out of Kyle, then I don't mind the idea of keeping Kyle. If Shane comes to the club and Kyle continues to dish up below-par performances and minimal involvement, there needs to be an acknowledgement from Shane that others will be able to...
  63. xanderalexander

I think Gus was essentially saying that we won't be playing finals footy next year because 2024 is the year things will start to move up, partly due to the fact that we only have a few of the current mob contracted in 2024.
  64. xanderalexander

Well yes, the goalposts keep moving, but that's because those taking the kicks keep fucking it up. This is now Gus' club. He has a deep connectivity to it and while he's one of the worst commentators on the airwaves, I'm more prepared to trust a rebuild/future-proofing plan under him than...
  65. xanderalexander

James Graham speaks a lot of sense (mostly) and on Triple M on Thursday night made the following point, which is worth consideration: If a club comes out and says that they won't be competitive until 2024, doesn't that then tell the captain and the playing group that there is no expectation on...
  66. xanderalexander

Jock Madden

It's going to be at least 5 years before our club fully develops a top 4 halfback. It's the one position (other than fullback) that we need to go into the market and buy only the best available. We can gamble with other positions and buy on speculative outlook.
  67. xanderalexander

The Biggest issue with the bulldogs …

In order of priority: 1. Delete Matt Dufty 2. Delete Jayden Okunbor 3. Delete Joe Stimson 4. Demote Josh Jackson to bench 5. Give Flanagan a list of criteria he needs to meet each week or be back in reserve grade 6. Put players on notice that if they get the sand hills at Cronulla every morning...
  68. xanderalexander

Rd 11 vs Tigers 3-2-1

3 - TPJ 2 - Kiraz 1 - Burton
  69. xanderalexander

Opinion Captain josh Jackson.

Nobody in The Kennel will ever suggest that he's not a nice bloke or that he isn't respected. And similarly, most in The Kennel will agree that he is defensively a rock. But then again, so was Two-Metre-Tolman, and there's something to be said about players who by and large stifle attack. He...
  70. xanderalexander

Okunbor

"Why does he always look scared?" LMAO this is the comment I didn't know needed to be made. So accurate. I still remember the game where he trampled Cameron Smith twice and everyone thought he was a beast. I think he was as surprised as everyone else and at the end of the day it was only...
  71. xanderalexander

Official Matt dufty

When Dufty came to the Bulldogs, his awful defense was known, but we needed some sparks in attack. Burton, JAC, TPJ and King have added some more dimension to our attack. Dufty has offered nothing, and has thrown in a complete decline in effort to boot. You'd think that someone on a one year...
  72. xanderalexander

Fullbacks off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Chance of buying/reasonable offer to pitch Niu - 75% - $350,000 Cobbo - 20% - $450,000 Nikoll-Klokstad - 65% - $400,000 Savage - 50% - $300,000 Will Kennedy - 20% - $450,000 Drinkwater - 40% - $400,000 Tabuai-Fidow - 30% -...
  73. xanderalexander

I've looked at Kyle's numbers while at the Roosters. Plenty of goal kicking points but not too much else to speak of. Teddy and Keary way ahead on try assists, line break assists etc.
  74. xanderalexander

I guess it depends on how much Flanagan wants this first grade coach position. Not many become available each year. Next position will be Newcastle. Out of the coaches available, I'd be leaning towards Flanagan, so he might know he's in the driver's seat.
  75. xanderalexander

It's pretty much the only concern I have bringing Shane Flanagan in as coach. Pretty sure his son plays a role in his contract negotiations...
  76. xanderalexander

LOL I remember suggesting this literally 4-5 years ago.
  77. xanderalexander

It's been a while since players were able to fine tune their craft in reggies. Hoping that from what I've seen of Casey, his potential can be resolved while playing the lower grades. He looked good in the trials.
  78. xanderalexander

1. Cobbo 6. Burton 7. Munster 9. Mahoney #jizzinmypants
  79. xanderalexander

Good point mate.
  80. xanderalexander

Gus has come out and said that we only have a few players contracted in 2024. Now, I'm a big fan of Gus and have absolute faith that he will steer our club back on track. But I've got some issues with that comment. 1. It's essentially a subtle message to those whose contracts expire at the end...
  81. xanderalexander

David Riccio

Best way to shut these hopeless clown 'journalists' up is to win on the field.
  82. xanderalexander

Win win situation

They'll be gone soon too mate.
  83. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Reynolds. I can count the number of quality, proven halfbacks in the NRL on one hand.
  84. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

We keep hearing about rugby league being a 'results-driven business', and that's so true. Moore, Pay, Georgallis and Barrett were all thoroughly decent human beings that were liked and admired. But if they can't squeeze out results, then they need to step down. Josh Jackson has for a long time...
  85. xanderalexander

News ‘He’s telling lies’: Gus Gould can’t escape past deception

Anasta, who at the start of the year was stating unequivocally that the Bulldogs had signed the right kind of people, is out today saying that they shouldn't just sign 'anyone available', and instead should have been signing players with the right DNA. He's a weathervane and in a constant...
  86. xanderalexander

News ‘Seismic ramifications’: Barrett’s recruits looking for the exit as Dolphins swoop

1. NRL 360 commentates on 'player rumours' without the slightest hint of irony, knowing that they are often the source of player rumours. 2. If any player ever wants to leave, let them. This club should be for players who want to wear the blue and white. Part of being at a club is sticking by...
  87. xanderalexander

News ‘Drums had been beating’: Awkward ‘unnerving’ pub moment Barrett learned of Bulldogs fate

Anything written by Hooper/Rothfield/Riccio/Crawley/Kent should be taken with a grain of salt. They love seeing Gould in the stink because he's a direct rival on Channel 9.
  88. xanderalexander

News Arthur Laundy demands answers on Trent Barrett

This. Our recent sponsors have been such muppets. The other day we signed a Crypto company. Arthur Laundy isn't the cleanest bloke around, neither is his son. And last time I checked, sponsoring a club doesn't entitle you to being involved in recruitment or football related decisions. 5 wins...
  89. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

It was such a good comment. I couldn’t put my finger on my feelings for the club until you said it. I went to Magic Round and for five days straight I wore bulldogs colours and for five days straight I copped it. Same pride but mixed with anger and embarrassment.
  90. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

Didn’t know that! Interesting…
  91. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

He has coached a fair bit in the UK, as well as at the NRL Tigers where he was treated poorly. 50% win percentage. Also won two premierships as a doggies player and coached Fiji internationals.
  92. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

I wouldn’t be too unhappy with Mick Potter, although Flanagan / Green are more likely as they have coached premier teams in the last decade.
  93. xanderalexander

Some Perspective

A wise kenneler (I’m sorry but I cannot remember who, nor find the thread) said this the other day: “I love the club, but I hate the current team” This comment resonated so hard with me, even though I wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘hate’. My love for the Bulldogs can be compared to my love for...
  94. xanderalexander

Addo Carr to fullback

Not really, no. And if that’s your yardstick for success then that’s a problem.
  95. xanderalexander

An article worth sharing

This is well worth the 5 minute read. It touches on why our forwards are ineffective and how our halves get terrible ball: https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/05/10/is-this-the-most-important-stat-for-an-nrl-attack/
  96. xanderalexander

Addo Carr to fullback

Yep okay um what games do we even have a hope of winning with this current squad?
  97. xanderalexander

Addo Carr to fullback

Look man, I agree, and it’s not comfortable. But at this point, JAC’s ‘favoured’ position would be on a winning team. Dufty, likely gone next year. No quality fullbacks on the market horizon. We have a fast, big talking madman who commands respect wherever he goes, who has won premierships...