Search results

1. B

Best prop we have had at our club

Thanks for the Peter Kelly and Robbo videos. Them were the days. We still beat Souths with 12 men for all but the first 16 seconds. Parra's wall - smash into the lot of them. Sure to get the sneaky ball carrier that way.
  2. B

Best prop we have had at our club

Does anyone remember the time Peter Kelly got sent off very early in an Anzac Day match back in the mid eighties? So early, it was said he beat the bugler off. Hard as nails. Never took a backward step. With a few other tough forwards was the basis of our Grand final wins in 84 and 85. Geoff...
  3. B

Opinion josh Reynolds Discussion Thread

Reynolds returning to the Bulldogs would not be a good idea. Sadly, I don't he has anything to offer. First, too many injury problems. Second, we need good organising halves which he has never been. Didn't he originally play hooker and Hasler turned him into a tackling machine playing in the...
  4. B

Official Official Origin Game 3 Teams and Discussion

Now that Nathan Cleary has been ruled out through injury and Mitchell Pearce has been selected as his replacement lets hope that Pearce has matured personally and as a footballer and is able do his bit to help NSW win. Fittler hopefully will give him a simple role to make his tackles and...
  5. B

Official Official Origin Game 3 Teams and Discussion

If Nathan Cleary isn't ready in time for State Of Origin 3 there is talk of the possibility of Mitchell Pearce as a replacement. Is Pearce the best option? In my opinion, no. He had several years as NSW half back and, even though up against the best Queensland teams, wasn't able to get the wins...
  6. B

Opinion Battle of the spoon!

With our salary cap issues and our current squad I think every win is an achievement. Great to see the win today. The Sharks didn't turn up to compete and paid the price. We did. The effort seems to be there each game. Inconsistent execution and errors through inexperience and poor judgement...
  7. B

News Moses Mbye becomes latest NRL millionaire

I could never see the value in him he for what he was paid at the Bulldogs. Signed up on potential and never delivered. Same at Tigers. Reasonable utility value but he hasn't been able to hold a place in any one position. To me he only brings frustration at not being able to deliver on...
  8. B

RUMOUR: Latrell Mitchell Consolidated Thread

. Agree. Also, outside backs need decent forwards and halves in front of them to give them space to utilise their running skills. Latrell M would be flogging himself for nothing with us at the moment.
  9. B

RUMOUR: Latrell Mitchell Consolidated Thread

I am sure many here would remember about 10 year ago when we signed up about half a dozen decent 1st graders? From memory some where Mick Ennis, Brett Kimmorley, Josh Morris, Ben Hannant, David Stagg, Greg Eastwood. Wouldn't this type of strategy be better than throwing a lot of our eggs in the...
  10. B

Jack Cogger

1st game for new club for rookie half and its against a top tier team in the Storm at their home ground. Doesn't get much harder and a huge hurdle for the young kid. I hope he comes through ok and wish him all the best. Patience is needed because we don't have too many other options. JMK didn't...
  11. B

Coach Cleary

Father coaching son in professional sport seems a huge conflict of interest issue, particularly when son is regarded as the star half but appears overrated. Huge pressure on both father and son. Ivan Cleary equally at fault. He should have known this wouldn't do either him or his son any good in...
  12. B

Steve Mortimer apologises for Damien Cook oversight, begs Josh Reynolds and Martin Taupau to return

Hodkinson, Reynolds, Kasiano, Graham, Pritchard all past their best when they left. Mbye - never had a best. Potential yes, but unlikely ever to fulfill. Cook is a major regret. He showed enough potential in the few games he played in the top grade to warrant keeping, particularly as Liccha...
  13. B

Matt Frawley makes the most of late callup.

Team looked a lot better in attack with Lewis and Frawley combination. Maybe there is a benefit in taking some pressure of each other to instigate attack. I dont think Foran or JMK helped with this. If Frawley could improve his defence a combination with Lewis could be our best atm.
  14. B

The Aiden Tolman Appreciation Thread

I think Tolman and Klemmer are a good balance. Tolman is not flash but an honest toiler with tons of experience that can assist the other younger forwards. As well he is consistent and reliable, He rarely drops the ball or gives away a penalty. He does need to get out of the way after the second...
  15. B

Shit players who become great coaches

Warren Ryan, Ted Glossop, Roy Masters.
  16. B

Klemmer charged for late hit on Mbye

Sorry, I can't find any joy in this. Klemmer led with his shoulder and hit Mbye late. Big forward late hit on small back. I know Mbye is annoying and I dont like what he did to our club but this wasn't a fair tackle. Klemmer could be in trouble. There looks to be something personal in this and...
  17. B

The Smarts of a Genuine Halfback

Tackles 3,4 and 5 in red zone should go to a half. Forwards get out of the way. Dummy half should be looking for halves who need to be in position. Perhaps easier said than done.
  18. B

Rhyse Martin re-signs one year deal

Agree 100%. I think we need a few people in the club devoted to managing the cap. The days of one person, a coach, having so much power in player contracts, which I get the impression was the Hasler system, was madness. Never again. It's probably no coincidence that three clubs with recent cap...
  19. B

Rhyse Martin re-signs one year deal

Martin re signing is a shinning light in one our darkest times, One year is a good deal at this point. If he continues to improve hopefully we may be in a better position to extend after that. Tolman and Hopoate both could serve us well for a few years but I get the impression they are being...
  20. B

Who is currently the best halfback in the NRL?

Townsend from Sharks goes ok. Consistent. Does a good job without being flash.
  21. B

Bulldogs Re-sign Lachlan Lewis for 2 years.

Best news for a while. Good to see the club commit to a good young player with potential.
  22. B

Michael Lichaa consolidated thread

I was looking through the Archives the other day and found a few threads that were full of negative comments about Michael Ennis and how people wanted him gone and they were so pleased to be getting this young gun hooker Michael Liccha. How things have turned. In my opinion we need to part ways...
  23. B

The club through Hasler fucked up. Hasler had full control of all areas of the football department including recruiting and re-signing of players. That's my understanding of the situation. Correct me if I am wrong. The club should never have given Hasler so much control. I hope we have a few...
  24. B

I have fairly vague memories of when Cook played a few top grade games for us. He looked quick out of dummy half and I remember the try he scored which made me think he could be something special. I guess Hasler thought he had invested time and money in Liccha so should stick with him. Also, I...
  25. B

Nick Meaney - 2018 Consolidated Thread

I think young kids like Meaney and Cogger are coming to the Bulldogs for an opportunity to play 1st Grade, Both have top quality players in front of them at the Knights and would be very unlikely to make 1st grade there on a permanent basis. It's these situations we need to chase in the early...
  26. B

State of Origin Game 3 - Teams and Game Discussion

I think NSW lost due to being unable to complete sets in 2nd half. How many times did they go for the big risky play and lose the ball instead of getting to the 5th and kicking and putting pressure on Queensland? Wouldn't Fittler have emphasized this at halftime? Seems fairly basic. NSW seemed...
  27. B

Turning Point - One poor decision.

Sounds great. I have memories of watching on the tv at home. Would have been fantastic to be there, even in the car park. It must have been a great feeling to turn the radio on and realise what was happening after being 18/2 down with 10 to go.
  28. B

I agree. One of our best. 30 unanswered points in a semifinal was a tremendous effort. Craig Pola Mounter was 5/8. He scored 2 tries and kicked 2 field goals.Unfortunately, we lost the next game which was the Grand Final.
  29. B

I agree. One of our best ever. 30 unanswered points in a Semifinal is a tremendous effort. Unfortunately, I think we lost the next game which was the Grandfinal against Brisbane. Please correct me if I am wrong,
  30. B

I read a report today about a semifinal we played against Parramatta in 1998. We were down 18 to 2 with 11 minutes to go. Full time 18 all. We ended up winning 32 to 18 after extra time. I think there was a link to the game on the forum a while ago. I found it on You Tube and watched. It doesnt...
  31. B

Hook turn time - The Positives!

Yes you would think if the reason for him missing those tackles which Ied to tries was a legitmate injured shoulder then he couldn't be passed as fit for this week. However, why was he kept on. Also, who can take his place?
  32. B

Round 17 - Bulldogs vs Raiders - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

Lewis to centre Brown to 6, Hopoate to centre, Brown to fullback are two options. If he had a bad arm he shouldn't have been out there. The Raiders must of known he was a weakness and targeted him.
  33. B

Round 17 - Bulldogs vs Raiders - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

I thought with Klemmer out and our poor record against the Raiders we had very little chance. With a good lead with not much to go my hopes were up, then we let in 3 tries. Cruel. Martin and Lewis were positives. Hope they get signed soon.
  34. B

What the future should look like! Good Talent Right here!

Mortimer had X factor running game - speed, step, chip and chase. Cleary is a good all round half but no X factor that can turn a game like Mortimer could. Luai may be contracted to the end of this year but I am sure negotiations are underway to keep him at Penrith. However, makes you wonder...
  35. B

Jarome Luai

I agree he could be good at 6. This might depend on moving Foran on and freeing up as much of his cap pace as possible. We probably need a number 7 more.
  36. B

Jarome Luai

I am sure he has been on the radar of every club in the NFL, including ours, for a while. The conmentators last night were saying he plays what he sees in front of him, which he did well and he had a good running game. Some things we need to consider - game management, defense, overall kicking...
  37. B

Mbye and Woods and what we're paying.

I have never told anyone the details of my earnings, not even close family, Why would league players. Even if a wife or partner were aware I can't see them telling others.
  38. B

Mbye and Woods and what we're paying.

What ever we are paying it will come to an end eventually and hopefully valuable lessons have been learnt and we never get into this situation again.
  39. B

Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

No. Wouldn't come cheap. I would rather build our own team. Lewis, Cogger, JMK, Brown, Foran if he gets himself fit. Wakeham give us plenty to work with for a while.
  40. B

ARe we still sacking pay

I dont think any established coaches from outside the club would have taken this on. Dean Pay seems to have the players behind him. The rebuild has started and hopefully we will see a team develop that we can be proud to support. I was definitely proud to see the team play as they did tonight...
  41. B

Round 16 - Bulldogs vs Knights - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

A fantastic win, particularly after the shocker the previous game. The distractions with Mbye and Woods leaving must have drained a lot out of the players and with that out of the way and a few new faces they looked a different team. Solid debut game from Lewis. JMK some good and bad but at...
  42. B

Not sure if mentioned already but Cogger starting for the Knights. Could be interesting.
  43. B

Dogs Debut Duo

I hope both go well and get a decent go in the top grade. They are making their debuts in about the toughest situation a young player could experience. Lewis in particular is going to find it difficult. JMK isn't going to help him much setting up play and steering the team around the park. He is...
  44. B

With all the retirements what will the Kangaroos team look like?

Maloney halfback. Munster 5/8. Cleary going ok but I dont think he is ready for Australian halfback position yet, Maloneys expeirience needed.
  45. B

With all the retirements what will the Kangaroos team look like?

Ponga would probably be the most talented footballer to come on the scene for a long time. I think he could handle any position in the game except for middle forward. However, I have only seen him play as a fullback and he seems destined for that position for Queensland with Slater retiring. It...
  46. B

Pluses - Lewis gets a start. Brown and Ogden on the Bench. Hopoate at fullback - best option we have atm particularly after his game for Tonga. Lets see if he can come close to reproducing that for us. Minuses - JMK half - offers very little in attack. Montoya at centre. Did Olive deserve to be...
  47. B

Lachlan Lewis - Consolidated Thread

I hope Lewis goes ok, but let's give him a fair go and not expect too much. It will be interesting to see his halves partner - Frawley or JMK. I would like to see Holland in for Montoya as well.
  48. B

Foran out for season with Toe Injury

At least it might encourage coach to try others in that position. Let's hope it leads to a retirement of some type.I can't see any reference to which of his toes is injured - big toe, pinky toe, or any of those in between.
  49. B

What changes should be made for Origin 3?

Ideally Roberts should be dropped but I think we will see the same team for Game 3. I think Fittler was too greatly influenced by the try Roberts scored against the Roosters. He wont get that amount of space in an Origin game and his defence is not up Origin standard. If Roberts doesn't...
  50. B

Frawley- Get rid of him Now

Watching the video of lower grade highlights shows he had something in the way of potential. It shows several passing try assists, some good kicks in general play, and strong runs taking the line on. Where did it go? Maybe he is a player who just wasn't able to make the transition to the next...
  51. B

Next 6months - 1Year

Without knowing the financial side to this I would like to see Woods stay. I am sure he will improve for us in the long term. Also, at the moment we don't have a lot going for us to attract other players. Having two quality front rowers I think would help attract players to the club. Also would...
  52. B

Next 6months - 1Year

A story in a thread from yesterday says Sharks still waiting for a reply from Bulldogs on Woods,
  53. B

Thoughts for round 16 team

Can someone be added to the top 30 to replace Mbye?
  54. B

Very much agree. I would much rather read intelligent discussion or comments than some of the offensive language used by some here. I have seen many ups and downs with this club, and yes this period would be one of our worst, but I could never support another club. Rd 16 team. 1. Hopoate 2...
  55. B

Where's Holland? Put him in for Montoya if available. Montoya was left out last week until BMoz became unavailable. 6 - who knows - Foran, JMK or Frawley. Not looking good.
  56. B

Dean Pay - What is our game plan?

Would an experienced coach take the job. Looking at our situation most would run for cover. I hope Dean Pay can hold on to his sanity for the next few years. There is no saviour out there who can work a miracle and fix this mess in a couple of months.
  57. B

Fear and Loathing at Belmore - From the Couch: Round 15,2018

6 - 8 players being paid to play elsewhere next season. This cant be right. Graham and Kasiano's contacts finish the end of this season. Who does this leave Brenko Lee, Abby? I thought they were this year only but could be wrong. We wont be able to move Foran, and Woods might be too expensive...
  58. B

Jack Cogger - Players Voice

I remember reading the story in the newspapers at the time about Trevor Cogger eating a pie on the hill after playing earlier in the lower grades for Wests and getting a call to play 1st Grade. Wests went on to win, against us ironically. Not a bad story. Jack Cogger being related to Trevor...
  59. B

Round 15 - Bulldogs vs Titans - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

Nightmare is a good description of our situation atm, but even worse a nightmare with no end in sight. We always seem to have problems with the Titans. Was it 2014 we played the Titans in the last round before the finals. We led by around 20 points but still managed to lose. Is that the year we...
  60. B

Canterbury Bulldogs (Berries) footy cards from 1975

Great memories. Steve Mortimer studied at Hawkesbury Agricultural College in his early days with the club. A good mix of local juniors, young players from the country and some established players from other clubs,
  61. B

Ted Glossop coach 1978, 79, 80. 1979 runners up beaten in Grandfinal, 1980 won Grandfinal, Premiers. There is hope for us yet.
  62. B

Pay Free Pass 2018?

Ivan Cleary, an experienced coach, had almost a full season with the Tigers before this year. He was able to do a fair bit if recruiting to start to build a team he wants. They started well but now struggling. I cant see them making the finals. They have done reasonably well and should end up a...
  63. B

Lachlan Lewis is not in the Top 30.

Lewis looked promising. Defense a highlight. Put through a good grubber for a try. Hope he can get a run in top grade soon.
  64. B

2018 NSWRL Intrust Super Cup Discussion Thread (Season Ended) PREMIERS!!

Lewis looked good. Man of The Match. He was asked if Dean Pay had spoken to him about 1st Grade. He replied they tried to get him in this week but replacement regulations to do with the top 30 players wouldn't allow it. Does anyone know more about this? Good to see he is close. Martin's...
  65. B

The case for Aaron Woods

Woods says four times he might have to end up leaving, Who knows what's happening. It would be better if he stays. I can't see it being any use to us paying half his salary or more to play for someone else. Anything less maybe, but I can't see another club agreeing to this and paying more than...
  66. B

Lets change it up... Top 3 greatest moments?

I seem to remember we lost both our starting props through that series. I am not totally sure but I think John Coveny and Greg Cook were the two bought up from reserves and they ended up doing a great job for us. We lived at Turvey Park and I went to Turvey Park Primary then Mt Austin High.
  67. B

Lets change it up... Top 3 greatest moments?

1. 1967 Grand final vs Rabbits. 1st game of rugby league I ever watched. I was living in Wagga at the time but my families origins where Lakemba so I wanted the Berries to win. They went so close. Supported them ever since. I later found out I went to the same high school as Greg Brentnall and...
  68. B

Paul Gallen: Sharks would love to have Aaron Woods, but how much are the Bulldogs willing to pay?

Don't pay anything for him to play elsewhere. He apparently has let it be known that he wants to leave to play finals which he is unlikely to get at the dogs for a few years, Having said this leaves us with the controlling hand. Let him ask for a release and try his luck on the open market. He...
  69. B

Round 14 - Bulldogs vs Dragons - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

I feel sympathy for Foran but good to see him out. Injured or rested? Whatever, he needs a long break to either get himself fit for NRL, or if not, give some careful thought to voluntary self retirement. He is letting everyone down, including himself, at the moment. Maybe he and the club can...
  70. B

The case for Aaron Woods

I wrote in another thread - if Woods goes, what will be the strength of the middle forwards we have left. Fualolo and Tollman injured. Klemmer cant be expected to hold the middle by himself. Do we have any decent middle forwards in ISP? Woods definitely not worth what we are paying at the...
  71. B

Mbye & Woods "Go Now, Dont Pay Later"

Has anyone thought what our forward strength will be like without Woods? Fualalo and Tolman are injured. Do we have any suitable ISP forwards to bring up? It's not going to do team morale much good if we are getting smashed in the forwards each game.
  72. B

Ewan McGrady - What wonderful Memories

Thanks for posting. I watched his highlights. A pleasure to watch. Speed and backing up. Things we definitely lack at the moment. Great combination with Terry Lamb,
  73. B

Mbye vs Foran

Mbye has good skills but no football sense and doesnt have drive to compete. He may do better at the Tigers but he needed to go for us. He was taking up too much salary cap space. Foran looks past it but thanks to past administration looks like we are stuck with him. He is a running 2nd...
  74. B

Dumbest roster player release decisions ever, since JT

Thanks for posting 2014 semifinal. Great memories, Downhill from there unfortunately. Loss of Ennis and Hodkinson big part of downfall.
  75. B

Pay must read the kennel

Anyone in his position with any sense should make a point of staying well clear of any forums like this. All the talk shows on tv as well. It would do your head in otherwise,
  76. B

How to get Foran off our salary cap

Halves coach for NRL and ISP and club junior teams. At least it might get him off the playing salary cap. However, isn't there a cap for non playing staff these days? Also, medical retirement - can that be done for pre existing conditions? Super League? I think he is past that as well. He must...
  77. B

Moses Mbye signs with Wests Tigers on four-year deal after getting release from Bulldogs

Pleased to see him move on. Hope he goes now, His continued presence would further destabilize team. He is a very frustrating player - loads of skills but no football sense. Definitely not worth the money he is being paid. Maybe Cleary can get some decent football out of him. Time for our club...
  78. B

Regardless of our issues, we should still be doing a lot better

The above puts Haslers legacy into perspective. He must have known Mbye was more of a ball runner and was never going to be a playmaking half. Then he goes after Foran who is more a 2nd receiver. He stubbornly thought he could build a good team without a true 1st reciver - playmaker. Madness.
  79. B

Frustration

Isn't Foran more a 5/8 or 6 or 2nd receiver? He is not a true halfback or 1st receiver - playmaker. This makes the situation even more frustrating. I don't think he has ever had a great kicking game. I might be wrong but didn't DCE do most of the kicking at Manly. Why is he being expected to be...
  80. B

Woolford & Lewis

Our current halves arent taking ownership in attack. JMK offers little in attack as well. Need to give someone else a go,
  81. B

Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Wayne Bennett recommended Des Hasler to our club and left the Knights in a mess. He has achieved at the Broncos and the Dragons but he is definitely not infallible. We need Bulldogs people who have the long term interests of the club at heart. No more outsiders who come for the money then are...
  82. B

Bulldogs can't bring in stars for three years: CEO

I agree the club is ultimately responsible. However, I think players and their Managers manipulate situations and negotiate the best they can for the best deal and are partly to blame. A previous post said Mbye stalled during negotiations. I guess he new Hasler wanted him. Hodkinson was out of...
  83. B

Its good to see the end of the Hasler era. Hopefully never again allow one person so much control, particularly an outsider. I would much rather see a club built around juniors and young recruits and with a coach from our own club. Much more satisfying than buying success with established stars...
  84. B

The greed of players like Mbye has played its part in the mess the club is now in. They and their managers would know there is a limit to the money the club can pay. If they negotiate a large slice of the cap it doesn't leave much for the rest, Now they find their club cant afford quality...
  85. B

Rate Frawleys performance out of 10

7 out of 10. Definitely gives us more in attack than JMK who I thought went ok at hooker. Why not play Frawley at half and Foran at 6? These seem their natural positions.
  86. B

Lichaa Axed

Liccha's form is not the main issue, but hopefully some changes will be a small step on a long road to recovery. Its good to see the coach trying something with the 1st grade team. Add to that the buying of some promising juniors and things are looking a little bit better for the club.
  87. B

Lichaa Axed

Good to see the coach try something different. Hope it sees some improvement.
  88. B

We could have planned the future like the past.

No we cant replicate 2009 but the basic lessons are still there. I think the most important signings at this time where Brett Kimmorley and Michael Ennis - halfback and hooker respectively. We need to be patient, it will probably take a few years. We need to shed players as they come off...
  89. B

Developing success: the rise of Penrith, the fall of Canterbury

Penrith worked hard for several years to build a strong base and now look competitive for the long term. Panthers supporters can have realistic hopes of winning a prenmiership over the next few years. The Bulldogs chased short term success and have been left in a mess which could take years to...
  90. B

Jackson Hastings / Manly Strip Club Megathread

Bulldogs have enough problems of their own at the moment. They would be silly to risk creating more by going after a player who already has had issues at 3 different clubs. They cant all be wrong.
  91. B

Round 6 - Dogs vs Cowboys - Team List and Game Discussion Thread

Was Liccha off during game for any reason? JMK was dummy half a fair bit and doing a good job I thought.
  92. B

Our fanbase has an unrealistic sense of entitlement.

It is not only the poor results - lack of wins etc - that is disappointing it more the negative style of play. This is probably even more important. The team is dreadful to watch. Hasler seems to be obsessed with minimal errors, completing sets and defence. The players have lost attacking flair...
  93. B

Bulldogs Fullback fan poll

Greg Brentnall came from Wagga in the Riverina which had and still has a strong Aussie Rules presence. He played for Turvey Park Aussie Rules club and represented NSW under18s in this code. South Melbourne were after him to play for them but he switched codes to Rugby League..
  94. B

Bulldogs Fullback fan poll

Greg Brentall from the entertainers era played in the successful 1980s Grandfinal team. Gary Dowling from the early seventies played in the losing granfinal in 1974,. Both represented at state and national levels. Both possibly could be added to list.
  95. B

Mick ennis

Whatever personal opinions of Mick Ennis he definitely had more to offer than our current number 9 at present. I have some sympathy for Liccha. He was bought as a young player with potential but the current team structure appears too rigid for him to reach his potential. Mbye in a similar...
  96. B

Terry Lamb on League Legends at 6:30pm

I imagine forwards would run through brick walls for halves such as Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer. They would have confidence that their efforts would be rewarded with attacking plays and points, Unfortunately doesnt apply today.
  97. B

Mbye dreaming of origin call up

Mbye has reasonable running and passing skills and seems a capable defender. However, I don't think he has the qualities at the present needed for origin such as toughness, competitiveness, drive to win and game sense. NRL - probably best positions hooker, running 5/8 with a good organising...