Search results

1. albatross

Back 5

Turvey/Baa, Polla-Mounter/Baa, and Shifty/Braith, were all way ahead of Hutch/Burto. Those other backlines were great but if we get a half who can really unlock them, this lot will be better IMO. Burto is starting to find something but we're short of a half to see how good they can really be...
  2. albatross

Incredible Turnaround in Defence

The defensive turn-around is even more outstanding with our thin set of front rowers. Whether it's a lack of experience, or size, or a decent track record, they came into the season as one of the weakest front rows, but are lifting and playing way above themselves. Kikau leading the kick-chase...
  3. albatross

Opinion Reed Mahoney

Reed does plenty of disturbing the opponents attack, even if he drops off of some tackles because he's small. He's doing a ton of work and his defence is among the least of his, or our, problems. His little sideways darts from DH where he gets caught are getting stale (like Hutch dying on he...
  4. albatross

News Joash Papalii focused on making NRL debut

Makes up for speed with evasiveness. He looks like he's got a few different positions in him.
  5. albatross

RIP Terry Hill!

Great player. Very sad loss and thoughts to his loved ones.
  6. albatross

News 'Couldn't have asked for more': Stephen Crichton lauded after 'outstanding' captaincy move

It's hard to apportion credit to this or that for our big improvement, but Crichton as leader has been much better. He's grown into it in 2 months, with plenty of support from Kikau, Mann and a few others.. The other players never see him not going hard as, and I love watching him. Meanwhile...
  7. albatross

News “I held a resentment against Souths for years”: Maitua reveals messy Bunnies call which led to Bulldogs’ contract

Forget it Reni. You found a home and some great mates for life and helped win us a GF. You played with some other teams but you're a Bulldog mate.
  8. albatross

News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Sounds to me like the people advising him are thinking of themselves and not Jackson. He came to a fork in the road where he could have cried like a baby or sucked it up like an adult. Good advice was all he needed! Even if he gets money it’s a very bad choice to chase victimhood like that...
  9. albatross

Team after the bye

I like your optimism and hope you're right.
  10. albatross

Team after the bye

I saw Knight interviewed after NSW Cup on the weekend and he was asked what was keeping him out of FG. He was pretty honest and said his defensive movements are costing him. I doubt he can deliver in Ciro's system and is a 3rd stringer now even with our lack of props. Morrin's now our No. 3...
  11. albatross

OFFICIAL | POST-GAME Round 7 | Post game | Bulldogs 36 - 12 Knights

He was the same last week. Even with a needle he was flat out being 75%. Not a very smart way to manage a $million plus player. Cronk in a GF I get, but that was plain dumb. Almost as if the coach was thinking more about himself, or got really bad medical advice.
  12. albatross

I noticed Kikau and salmon defending closer in on the weekend. Our players also did a great job finding their front when tackled and getting quick play the balls, while getting Knights onto their backs. Our kick-chase is as good as anyone’s, and the backs are taking a greater share of the...
  13. albatross

Opinion Video ref forward pass adjudication

Rightly or wrongly the bunker is making a distinction between a ‘tap-on’ that goes forward and a ‘catch-and-pass’ that goes forward. Apparently their eyes only work in one of those scenarios, and even then, only in Bulldogs games.
  14. albatross

Would be good mates with Elliott. He likes pot plants.
  15. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 7 | Pre game / Game Day | Bulldogs vs Knights

We don't die in the arse when things go wrong anymore.
  16. albatross

Gus said it was some sort of pneumonia.
  17. albatross

I feel your pain but Sexton's not the answer. Hopefully one of the young blokes is special enough to be fast-tracked, or Taaffe gets some time there and surprises us!
  18. albatross

Opinion Lets hope Taaffe comes on to replace Hutcho against the Knights

You've been watching Gus. The way Ciraldo's been talking up Taaffe, I can't see him dropping out for King, although that's what I'd do. I'd say Ciro leaves out Hayward or Patolo.
  19. albatross

Fox

Agree he’s not a yardage winger, but his post contact meters have improved a lot since he started only eating meat!!
  20. albatross

What's Max King doing in the reserves? I wonder if he's a genuine possibility.
  21. albatross

Sin Bin for Some- but Not others ?

F..k me. Remember when NAS and Kaufusi were dropping elbows from 3 feet and not getting charged? It was only a few years ago.
  22. albatross

Hayward - What's Ciraldo's plan here?

There's always been a narrative on TK that halves have to be top tier defenders.
  23. albatross

Fox drops 7 bras in 30 seconds

Solomon Haumono preferred the British Love Machine to the Bulldogs back in the day.
  24. albatross

Official Bronson xerri to make club debut

Xerri will be the best value-for-money centre in the comp this year. Good one Gus.
  25. albatross

Perception By Other Fans

True, but if the Titans game is anything to go by we should be ok. The Storm loss should have us hungry, especially with the with chance to go into the bye on a high. The alternative (two weeks to think about a home loss to Newcastle), would be torture.
  26. albatross

Opinion Top 8 watch: Next 7 weeks - chance to climb the ladder

Surprisingly our front row has held up really well, our backrow is a weapon, and injuries and rotations in the outside backs hasn't bothered us with our great depth. Even Burto is showing glimpses and starting to combine with the outside quality (his kicks are still a lottery). Still need more...
  27. albatross

Opinion Taffee vs Tracey

I'd go Hayward at half. Showed he belongs in FG tonight, gives 100%, and hasn't forgotten how to play half. Maybe give Taaffe a go in NSW Cup first, but not straight into FG. Otherwise keep Hayward at 14 till Mann gets back and try Sexton at half. At least he knows how to give early ball.
  28. albatross

Opinion Taffee vs Tracey

Yep. Just cause Taaffe was improving doesn't put him close to Tracey.
  29. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 6 | Storm vs Bulldogs | AAMI Park

It's an odd swap but I reckon Turpin will bring more than Knight would have.
  30. albatross

Opinion Skelton

I think when Gus labels someone ‘a project’, he means they are gonna take a while. He’s not as impatient as some of us to see Skelton in 1st grade, but still reckons he’ll get there. I just hope it’s with us!
  31. albatross

News 'Start fast and get big metres': Kikau ready to fire against Storm

Agree he does a pretty good job of tightening up the middle and doesn’t shirk the hard work.
  32. albatross

What's the bet NAS comes in for them. It's gonna take a superhuman effort to get the this one now King's out.
  33. albatross

Josh Schuster to the Bulldogs

Move it to guess's, or dreams, or better still, nightmares.
  34. albatross

We've got a decent enough team this week if they all end up playing. I had a chuckle when I saw Xerri'e sponsor on our website.
  35. albatross

Opinion Skelton

Would be good to see Skelton get a few games in the forwards in NSW Cup to see if he can be a genuine bench utility option for NRL. He can run like a good lock or edge forward but can he defend there?
  36. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

They are winnable for sure. We've got some guts this year, even if we can't do it for 80 yet. Let's see if our depth can step up and show the same guts. We should be fine in the backs at least. Mann's been our most important player IMO and will be hard to replace.
  37. albatross

This will make you feel better

He's like a crying Confucius wannabe.
  38. albatross

3,2,1 Vs ourselves

Kikau 3 King 2 Burto 1
  39. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

We got plenty of breaks and only just won against 12 men, so it was shit from that point of view. But we had one terrible 20 minute period (like every other game - usually the one before half time) and banked 2 points against a team no one expected us to beat. We tried some new combinations and...
  40. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 5 | Bulldogs vs Roosters

A fit King makes a big difference. Patolo stood his ground well and so has Hughes. Mann's a mini wrecking ball tonight. Is JWH playing?
  41. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 5 | Bulldogs vs Roosters

Mann's like a ball playing McCinnes.
  42. albatross

Bulldogs Commit to Three More Years of Tackling Sports Betting Advertising

Trying to find the balance between freedom of choice and addiction is hard. Addiction is a choice too, at least to start off with. I'd love to see people not gamble their life away, but even opening a small business is a gamble. Plenty of things are, and it's part of being free.
  43. albatross

Sutton Appointed again to bulldogs vs Rabbitohs game.

I thought Ryan Sutton was back when I glanced at the thread title. Ended up to be the lesser of two evils. Whether he picks on us or not, Gerard is a shit ref, but Ryan is a shitter prop.
  44. albatross

Official Bulldogs to enter NRLW in 2025

Great to see us in the NRLW. I don't mind watching it. The quality is getting better and it's usually decent open footy. Much better than Union or AFL if there's no NRL on. The product needs to pay for itself but I reckon it will and is worth investing in, even if it's not for everyone.
  45. albatross

Kurt Mann is so underrated

Pound for pound, he's one of the best one on one defenders in the comp. I've seen him drive bigger blokes plenty of times. His work-rate and ball play is getting better all the time.
  46. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Discussion thread | Round 4 | Good Friday vs Souths

We can improve on that, but we're never going to be right up there. We won't get too many PCMs out of our props for starters, and we haven't got those strong barging wingers like other teams. We need to lift in other areas, like our kick chase, which was great on the weekend. Also the high...
  47. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Thread round 3 | Bulldogs 32 - 0 Titans

The best thing about the game was the way our forwards stood up against their bigger pack. The quality and work rate's of Mann and Curran is helping to balance the lack of size in the middle, and King and Mahoney are toiling great. But lets face it, the Titan's are a team out of form and they...
  48. albatross

Round 3 3-2-1 vs Titans

3. Kiraz 2. Kikau 1. Curran Max king not far off. Great performance doing the hard stuff in the middle.
  49. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 3 | Bulldogs Vs Titans | Gameday discussion

I'd say Curran doesn't start at lock because we need him for the front row rotation unfortunately. Ciro seems to rate Salmon but the main reason is surely our weak front row ATM. I'd love to start him at lock too if we had the luxury of a couple more decent front rowers. He's a bit different to...
  50. albatross

My favourite player as a kid after Garry Dowling left.
  51. albatross

He does a lot of nothing usually.
  52. albatross

Opinion Max & Sam - Why no1,2 Punch, CC?

Curran with big PCMs and only 1 offload is a lost opportunity. Needs more support. Hughes made a tackle a minute so he's working hard while he's out there. We only need 40 odd mins out of him, so he should get up around that soon.
  53. albatross

News CODE NRL Salary Cap Analysis

instead of the 4 hopefully.
  54. albatross

News Weighed down by the responsibility’: Matty calls for Bulldogs’ Burton shake-up

He can run at centre. Yes we need halves who can run and create doubt, but if they can't organise at all, it's pointless having them there.
  55. albatross

News Weighed down by the responsibility’: Matty calls for Bulldogs’ Burton shake-up

We don't need a running 5/8 right now. We need 2 halves who can unlock the outside backs and bring the edge backrowers into the game. We don't have that, but we've got to try something different soon. I wonder what Burto shows at training that he can't do on the field?
  56. albatross

Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Post Game Discussion Thread

I've never seen someone wait for bombs with their arms so stiff. It's not natural. He's got no timing or confidence. Its a no-brainer for Tracey to come in.
  57. albatross

Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Couple of nice touches by Edwards too so far.
  58. albatross

Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

He was a depth signing for them, not the next big thing!
  59. albatross

News Signed 2 years. Suluka Fifita

Any young player with a healing ACL would surely want to give back big time to a club that gave him a go! Hope he's got the fitness and ability to back it, but motivation shouldn't be a problem.
  60. albatross

News Bulldogs scout American talent ahead of Vegas season opener

Yeah I agree he was probably there sus out possible corporate partnerships or opportunities for future, just not to scout unknown players.
  61. albatross

News Bulldogs scout American talent ahead of Vegas season opener

Sounds like a bullshit beat-up to me. Surely we aren't sending Warburton and a Director out now to recruit players.
  62. albatross

Your Round 1 Team?

I wouldn't be surprised if Turpin got the 14. Mahoney needs a rest during games and we don't need a part time dummy half like Mann or Hayward filling in. Recovering from a broken finger and playing no trials might have affect things, but Mahoney isn't a 80 minute player at the moment and...
  63. albatross

News Teams Tips Vs Parramatta Updated

He’s just not robust enough for regular FG fullback in my opinion.
  64. albatross

News Trial Takeaways: Problems abound for Dogs after Sharks loss (Roar)

The moron that wrote this is actually a double moron. Make that triple. It was a fucking trial.
  65. albatross

News Eels v Bulldogs: Sivo suspended; Star recruits ready to go

I don't get the hype about Salmon in the trials (playing like Isaah Yeo???), but I still think he's a very decent player. I don't mind him starting in front of Curren given we are way short on front rowers and need Current to be part of the front row rotation. Maybe Tetavano's signing eases...
  66. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY ROUND 2 TRIAL | Bulldogs vs Sharks | Discussion thread (8pm @ BSG)

Mahoney was bad. Looked like he was deliberately throwing ankle passes at times. Burto was awkward again as usual. Curren was pretty good and King and Preston both played well. Taafe was terrible. Hutchinson was mixed but mostly below average - looked like he lost composure after that first...
  67. albatross

Official Ciraldo announces Crichton as new Club Captain, Expresses gratitude to Mahoney and Burton

Ciro made a lot of rash decisions in his first year of head coach (choosing all the captains, signing JR, sticking with Perhem etc), but hopefully that's out of his system now. This decision is cause he's the right bloke and if it's gonna happen there's no good time, so get it over with. We're...
  68. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

Gus mentioned Tracey, just didn’t give a specific timeline on his injury, before saying the squad would all be fit for rd 1 if we got through this trial. I took that as Tracey would be fit. Gus also plead guilty to pulling a few swifties in his time.
  69. albatross

News Bulldogs' bark is worse than their bite: Defence needs mending as Ciraldo gambles with star recruit in make-or-break year

He's worth heaps more to us at 750k, than Fifita is at way over a million to GC. Crichton will impact every game with quality attack and defence, and on-field leadership, from any position. He's up with the best centres, plus he's versatile if he needs to be. We picked up a gem in a pretty...
  70. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Trial No. 2 - Bulldogs vs Sharks - Friday 8pm BSG

Trial teams usually start with the quality players and bring on fringe players around 1/2 time. For that reason I’m surprised Sexton isn’t starting against the stronger players, given Hutch also started trial 1. I think it’s a good sign Hutch is in front at the moment. I think Ciro likes the...
  71. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Trial No. 2 - Bulldogs vs Sharks - Friday 8pm BSG

Maybe trial tea leaves are meaningless to read, but they are still telling me; - Salmon or Mann to start at lock in Rd 1 and Curren to be part of the front row rotation (by necessity) - there is still genuine uncertainty about halfback. - Xerri will start Rd 1 - Morrin, through sheer effort...
  72. albatross

Your Round 1 Team?

I don't think it's so much whether he runs or passes, more that Burto seems to have a way of slowing down the play. Seems to baulk or be in two minds a lot of the time. He looks unnatural and indecisive at 5/8 to me. Hope he finds something soon but he doesn't look confident to me.
  73. albatross

News Canterbury Bulldogs chairman John Khoury set to step down

News got to spin it first, so some of that will stick around in people's heads, but this is pretty much a non issue. OK, so we don't know how this new gazillionaire will go yet, but everyone else on the board supports him so there's no reason at all to get bent out of shape about it.
  74. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Game day Thread vs. Storm: Trial 1 @ Belmore, 7pm

Decent start for first trial. Burto just looked awkward like most of last year. Hughes went well, and looks the goods. King looked gassed after 10 mins but kept going well. Taafe was solid but Papalii looked at least as good in that game. Knight should have to go without tonight after that...
  75. albatross

Pre Game Thread, Trial 1: Bulldogs vs Storm @ Belmore, 7pm Thu 15-Feb

Seems like we've been waiting for ages for this. The start of the season never gets old, even though I do. Only a trial but looking forward to seeing Hutchinson, Taafe, Hughes and Skelton the most.
  76. albatross

Watch The Bulldogs On Kayo For Cheaper

I just turn on Kayo and watch what I want and it works. Never had a problem on hard disk, device or smart tv. Maybe it’s a bit hit and miss for others but mines been fine.
  77. albatross

News 'I needed a change': Why Koori Knockout scandal was 'blessing in disguise' for Josh Addo-Carr

Yeah it's the sustainability of just eating meat that's the problem, but he'll get away with for a while being young. If it's really making him feel better, I don't care it's his decision. Probably taking a shitload of vitamin and fibre supplements, but I expect his diet will change soon too.
  78. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

When Burto earns his money he can have a new mouth. For now he has to stay like a halfwit from Dubbo with half his teeth knocked out. Good motivation for him.
  79. albatross

Feel good News Article - Mahoney

Just more dribbly fake indignation about a non-issue from people who spend their lives looking for things to get all fake-upset about.
  80. albatross

News The Mole: Bulldogs facing 'huge decision' over 'rusty' recruit Bronson Xerri

I’d start Xerri in Cup for a couple of rounds. Even if he’s physically ready, and seems mentally ready, he needs to get the feel of a real 80 minute game again. We should have pretty decent backs in cup so he’ll get plenty of ball.
  81. albatross

Bulldogs express interest in Panthers flyer Taylan May

Text strobing again! I shouldn't struggle through it but I do. After a few fits I even noticed the double L, or is it double i?
  82. albatross

Connor Tracy

I'm not convinced about Tracey or Taafe at fullback, but it looks like it will be one of them. It's easy to get excited about the flashy parts of Tracey, speed and a jink, but a lot of what I've seen is crabbing cross field without much direction. I'd go with him on potential though over...
  83. albatross

Your favourite Bulldogs GF win & why?

All were great but 1995 was best for sure. Came from 6th and I still love watching Ken Arthurson looking for a hole to crawl into as he disgustingly announces us as Premiers. Fuck Manly.
  84. albatross

Official RFM granted immediate release

Is this the last fragment of Des finally gone? It’s suddenly a lot lighter in the dead wood department at the Dogs.
  85. albatross

News Burtons view of the shape of planet Earth.

If you can't work out how the little flat bit your standing on turns into a big round world it's odd, but fortunately it doesn't make any difference to whether you can play footy.
  86. albatross

News The Mole: Bulldogs facing 'huge decision' over 'rusty' recruit Bronson Xerri

Most of the kennel would qualify as top notch journos. Talking shit with a straight face is the main skill needed.
  87. albatross

Let's Trot with Burton

That's a good trio of leaders. I reckon Burto will learn, but he's more like one of the gang now than a leader. If Reed's personal performances don't improve early in the year I reckon Ciro will try Turpin at 14 and give him a rest during games. If we don't start improving Ciro (or whoever is...
  88. albatross

Let's Trot with Burton

I agree, although neither were good last year as captains. Hopefully with a year under their belts and an off season to work on things, they'll be much better. Burton should start by leading with his effort, which Mahoney at least tried to do, but spoilt it with too many mistakes.
  89. albatross

Opinion Captain Super Flop (Powder Puff) RFM [RANT]

Soft is the word. Same in defence, all grabbing and dragging, no driving the ball carrier with force.
  90. albatross

News NRL 2024: Strengths and weaknesses of Canterbury Bulldogs’ forward pack

Sounds motivated with his best prep in a few years. We need him to do what he says. Also good that in interviews our players are talking about what the team needs to do, and not how they found a new best mate, like last year.
  91. albatross

News Cameron Ciraldo Q&A How New Recruits Will Feature In His Quest To Make The Bulldogs A Powerhouse Again

I can't see him starting in Rd1 but good to hear Xerri getting a mention for his effort. Crichton's far from a ready-to-go fullback, so if he was playing there surely he'd be training there. Sounds like it's Tracey at fullback to me.
  92. albatross

The Bulldogs 2024 style of play & Game plan ..

I agree that's what we should try to do. We won't dominate the ruck through big hard talented middles, so urgency in all those little areas is very important. Also need to bring some ball playing through the middle - inside / outside balls like Dymock, Pay, J Smith and Britt were doing as a...
  93. albatross

Opinion King & Knight are an upgrade on TPJ & Thompson

King’s form was pretty good at the start of last year, then he carried an injury and his form dropped. He’s no world beater but he’s much better than he showed in the 2nd half of 2023
  94. albatross

We asked NRL clubs their fastest, fittest and strongest players... the results are stunning

It’s just what happens when this sort of bombshell news causes chaos in RL and melts down the internet. It’s looking grim.
  95. albatross

We asked NRL clubs their fastest, fittest and strongest players... the results are stunning

I'd say a mis-print or a dodgy stop watch. Deardon ran a club record at 4.26.