Search results

1. I

2019 - Jersey Flegg - Pre Season Discussion

Point taken about the toughness, it's the one intangible difficult to measure until you see them in a prize fight. On talent he's worth signing long term. He had shoulder surgery 2017 and may lack confidence in contact. Same as Zac Saddler, could be anything if he gets his fitness and mojo back...
  2. I

2019 - Jersey Flegg - Pre Season Discussion

I think you'll find Simmonson is a Canberra junior so now that he's finished school in Sydney (Newington) he's probably playing closer to home. Taukamo was unbelievable at 11 to 14 years of age. Fastest in NSW over 100m, a foot taller and 30kg heavier than all his age. Everyone caught up and...
  3. I

2018 Jersey Flegg Discussion Thread (Season Ended)

I've watched Wakeham for many years and I'm not sure he is better. He is a good player with limitations, one of which is everyone blowing wind up his backside about how good he is since he made the Australian Schools u15s. Williams is more versatile, a better defender and more of a team player...
  4. I

Mmmm... interesting... every game Nikau Williams plays in the halves the Doggies win and more often than not he scores! So who do you put him in for? Wakeham? Seve? Hetherington? Matthews? Time for selectors to stop blindly following reputations on paper and start watching who is actually...
  5. I

I'm very happy for Nikau Williams to nail down the starting 5/8 spot. To come here from Melbourne and make the starting side is very difficult to do. He played in the Combined Affiliated State school side at 7 in u15 and again at u18 and did enough to impress McDonnell to come up for a go. He...
  6. I

Most Hyped Junior

From last year's SG Clark is a talent but has been injured continually. Patea is a human wrecking ball but needs to build his minutes. Hasn't played a game in SG this year yet but Zac Saddler is a gun. A real natural footballer and a good frame. Picken the best from Matt's.
  7. I

2017 SG Ball

What a damn shame. This side should never have been walloped like that. Bang bang and out the back door. So soft up the middle and so many length of the field tries from our poor last tackle kicks/passes in the opposition 20. Some of the dogs forwards looked done after 15mins. Young guns out...
  8. I

2017 SG Ball

Parra have quite a few 17 year olds eligible for sg ball playing NYC, namely Fonua, Afuolo and Kaufusi and the two you mentioned. Souths too have a heap of young guys playing NYC. I didn't think that Parra side would run up that score against this Dogs side. Same thing happened v Sharks in last...
  9. I

2017 SG Ball

Mate, everyone looks good v Norths. Rested for sure. I'm expecting this side to get to gf now but they dropped off miserably last year around this time so wait and see!
  10. I

2017 SG Ball

Look, you may be right in the long run, but as I said, they'll get their chance next year. Why develop kids through the system if you don't use them? Yarak for example is the fittest guy in the whole program, he's on contract, is tough and lightning quick and at u17s club level he shines in the...
  11. I

2017 SG Ball

How some boys got in the squad of 25 is beyond me. I know injuries occur and some kids are disinterested, but clearly the policy is to pick sides based on something other than talent. This is the 25 that should be out there... 1. Wilkinson 2. Winterstein 3. Timoti 4. Katoa 5. Manu 6...
  12. I

2017 SG Ball

Dillon and Averillo will get their crack at SG next year again. This year Dorian Yarak and Johnny Ryan (better options in my opinion) missed their chance because we bring Chan with a dicky hammy from Parra at the last minute and decide to promote youth and another assistant coaches nephew! Who...
  13. I

2017 SG Ball

Tommy and Lachie are Willie's sons and guess who is assistant coach? Yep, Willie. Jacob is Frank's younger brother.
  14. I

2017 SG Ball

I agree with alot that you say. If Saddler didn't get injured he'd be the ball playing forward required. Another caucasian Hugo Traino has toughness, big minutes and skill but he was cut. The best 5/8 in my opinion is a koori kid Tyrone Harding who oozes class, but he's injured too. A bit hard...
  15. I

2017 SG Ball

Yes some of the younger forwards don't have the grit to stay in the contest. So many kids on contract made it difficult to get the best team of 25, plus the nepotism of having coaching staff relations involved in selecting (Saukuru, Talau, Hamawi). All the younger brothers of past players...
  16. I

2017 SG Ball

This is quite a strong squad. Only 4 younger age players in Tommy Talau, Saukuru, Pasina and Averillo. I would have Winterstein on Chan's wing and NZ import Jonty at centre and Manu at wing for Saukuru. Lachie Talau should be captain. Mosese should start then at 2nd row. Hetherington to bench...
  17. I

Tyrone Taukamo

He just goes where the opportunity presents itself. He walked from league to union when the Newintgon scholarship came along and is now returning to where the next paycheck is. Good luck to him. I think he goes for the Roosters. Have seen him wearing their training gear and getting his photo...
  18. I

Parramatta sign 18 year old Blaise Barnes

I'm a massive rap on Ponga. The complete package which is very rare. When he made that u15 Aust Merit side he was miles better than anyone else. The best part is he's had a heap of expectation upon him since then and if anything he's exceeded it!
  19. I

Gee you're a hard marker... didn't Dargan just get NYC half of the year! From Parra's halves coming through I rate Alex Seve, and I've seen some really good awareness/athleticism stuff from Tyler Field (HMatts 2016). There's a good batch who will all be pushing each other in years to come.
  20. I

Tyrone Taukamo

Good luck to him. He's a nice kid and should go well. I'll be watching with interest. Lots of 17 year olds in South's NYC!
  21. I

He played mostly at fullback in union especially at rep level. His first year in Joey's 1st XV in year 11 he was put on the wing to protect him in defence but came into flyhalf in attack. Will probably end up a 7 or 6 at Parra, maybe a 1? Interesting choice of club for him as they have strong...
  22. I

Tyrone Taukamo

Giordan Patea too!
  23. I

Tyrone Taukamo

Yes, I've never understood why the number of interchanges isn't limited in the junior league? It's like Bennett's Broncos having 4 props on the bench during super league. Just kills the game.
  24. I

Tyrone Taukamo

I think he should probably stick with rugby? He's not as good as Ponga. He's not 187cm either, closer to 175cm. As a 13 year old he was unstoppable but has come back to the pack big time. He was the fastest in the state over 100m as a 90kg 11 year old too. Will watch his progress closely and see...
  25. I

2017 Jnr Summer squads Announced

Personally I'm sad to see Jim Whitney go. I believe he did his job very well. You always see him at junior footy games and rep trials checking what's on offer. He coached sg ball to some gf's a few years back and knows the game. He's a straight talker with no bs. Kids are brought in from country...
  26. I

He's the son of former rabbitoh Troy Barnes. Plays fullback and fly half in rugby. He's small but a natural footballer. Probably will end up a 7. Had a knee reco last year and defence will be the real test. Managed by Steve Gillis.