Search results

1. True Blue

Official Burton 6 Taafe 7 2019 U20 SOO

Love it Wendog.......right from the outset I have said that there is great potential there for Taffe to play 7.....he is quick, has a good step and takes on the line. Is he an organiser....jury is still out, but if he plays a backing up role like Lamb then he could be a great option. He will...
  2. True Blue

Opinion Blake Taffee

And if I recall, it was Critta that let a high kick simply bounce without any attempt to take it on the full. The world of the fullback is not easy particularly on TK
  3. True Blue

A wins a win

You pay no attention to the fact that we had 64% possession in the first half (a lot due to the rorters incompetence) and you cannot expect that to continue for the entire game. With their roster even if down to 12 you have to expect a change in the momentum. Our boys are not used to being in...
  4. True Blue

Critta in full flight

Burton was running great lines because he was playing in the centres when critta was moved to the back. This where he was best suited....but unfortunately it meant that either Hutch or Sexton were putting up the kicks with no great purpose or penetration. In the first half we had 64% possession...
  5. True Blue

Protecting the Player and Duty of Care

Exactly T-Rocket......somewhat different circumstances (one on one tackle), but the call now for acting with a "Duty of Care" astounds me. Just two partial quotes for todays media reports......".. The hit doesn't look late but referee Gerard Sutton explains that May has a "duty of care" to bend...
  6. True Blue

It further annoys me that when a kick is put up, in most cases at least two of the kicking side come into challenge the receiving player for the ball. No problems with a genuine one on one tussle, but I believe that in most cases the second player is there to impede the actual receiving player...
  7. True Blue

Agree. If the NRL are serious about protecting players against concussions, then they must start to police these types of tackles....it is nothing against McInnes, but simply the tackling style when there is already two defenders bringing the attacking player down. Hansta makes the comment that...
  8. True Blue

Yeah Hansta I understand where you are coming from, but it could have been avoided and will continue to happen unless some action is taken.
  9. True Blue

I cannot help but feel that if the shoe was on the other foot and a bulldog hit McInnes in the head while making a tackle, that player would have at least been sent to the bin. There is such a thing as "Duty of Care" and a defender has an obligation to exercise reasonable care in making a...
  10. True Blue

BULLDOGS PLAYER TRADE

Totally agree with your views here. He has a lot of competition for the FB role, but I see him potentially developing as a great attacking half back..........
  11. True Blue

No Source Poasa Faamausili

And please don't forget to let us know when and where you find "quality" props available for 2024...........
  12. True Blue

The actual problem at Canterbury

Hard to dis Hard to disagree Wendog. The Murdoch press has been at the bulldogs for years and they just do not like our culture.......their continued harassment of the club is vitally different to any commentary on other clubs. Why are the stories continuing to be played out?........they simply...
  13. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Marki, it is hard to argue with your points and I agree that we need to "create" that positivity, but I fear that too many of our players are just plain tired and knocked about by bigger & better sides......that is where your concept of "team engineering" makes a lot of sense......but...
  14. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Have to agree Howie.......have to give him the opportunity to develop both the team and himself. I can clearly remember as usual that probably 80% of those on TK were clammering and wetting themselves to get CC as the next coach.........nothing changes on TK..........a poor year and everyone has...
  15. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Yes they were missing a few players, but their roster was still better than ours on the day. The real point from that game was that we won because we played off the top of our heads.......no restrictive structures and this shows what we can do when the players are switched on and not over...
  16. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Not really a fair comment........the Bronco's even then had a roster......we simply do not have a competitive roster and for that reason it is hard to see improvement (even where there is some with one or two players). We simply do not have the skill, the fitness, the size or the tactics to win...
  17. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Quite frankly that applies to 85% of TK.....disappointing, but we may have to persevere with what we have for a little longer......but I don't desert the team....
  18. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Marki.....pray tell.......where are these experienced spine players coming from....there are very few out there that are available and offer value......most of those established spine players (if they were available) are asking for 120-130% to come to the dogs.....it is just the way that it is......
  19. True Blue

Official Gus on Twitter

Two things in response TR........1. To pay overs, you first need to have the funds under the salary Cap and we keep hearing that Gus is trying to balance the Cap (that doesn't mean we don't have funds, but that we need to use them wisely). 2. We were in a position where we had to pay overs for...
  20. True Blue

Time for mass Changes

KD.....close to the mark mate.....I am still unsure on Topine....he fails to make any real yardage and no doubt he tries hard he lacks mongrel. In fairness TPJ was our best forward to day after Preston, but he made two terrible defensive errors.....he just needs to control his defensive urges a...
  21. True Blue

I give up

Give the reggies a go.......yeah who do you pull up to replace okunbour, Harrison, Waddel and others.....Max King is playing busted for the last few rounds....reggies offer us Jayden Tanner, Topine and not much else in the fwds........Topine has been tried before and fails to make ground much...
  22. True Blue

Rumour Alamoti

Tell me please ......when has he broken the line?.....best he did today was to get on the outside of the opposition early ad put the fox into a little space....otherwise bloody big zilch.....I have been waiting for 1 and a half seasons for him to show his potential.....I will still be waiting in...
  23. True Blue

Opinion Rd 15 V Parramatta

Not a bad side.. Wendog.......I would like to see Wilson given a shot at FB and I think that Nu Brown could work at 7. I am a bit concerned about Max King and while he has been our best forward with Preston, I think that his game has dropped off a little in the past month.....I think that he...
  24. True Blue

News Roosters v Bulldogs: JWH, Manu on track; RFM set to return

Agree totally.....I wouldn't even have him on the bench.....
  25. True Blue

Rumour Alamoti

$500k .....Way over the top for a big centre who cannot break the line.......yes he hopefully will get better, but it needs to be soon.
  26. True Blue

Opinion Why do the Blues always project their intentions

Considering we didn't have a game plan, there is not much to give away. Having said that I agree with most of the posts here. The coaching team is a little "too panthers" focussed.....Fitler and Alexander have too much panthers background. Yes they are one of the strongest club teams, but that...
  27. True Blue

2023 State of Origin Game 2 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Quite simply......Burto is not a No 6......
  28. True Blue

2023 State of Origin Game 2 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

TPJ got only 27 mins in the game. His first stint was Ok, but then he got pulled after he tried to offload in his own red zone. Having said that, I wouldn't pick him for Game 2.....but I am also uncertain about Jurbo....he is solid in defence, but he just does not bend the line at all. Time for...
  29. True Blue

Rd 10 vs Raiders 3-2-1

His defence is way below what it needs to be and we cannot always rely on his bombs....no matter how effective they are....
  30. True Blue

Burton at 7 is working

Yes attack has improved, but his defence is very ordinary.......at least flanagan tackled.........you can't have 2 halves playing together if the are both poor in defence.....
  31. True Blue

Worst Defence In the Competition

And importantly our line does not move up as a line (look at Alamoti today). We need to meet the attack before it gets too far over the advantage line........unfortunately we appear to wait for the attack to come to us. Perhaps it is a question of fitness, which has been a problem for Dogs for...
  32. True Blue

Opinion Alamoti

In fairness, he is missing the key experienced players inside and outside of him. His defence has been pretty reasonable up to the Sharks game & this one. I know that he will improve, but I find it difficult to recall once where he has truly broken the line ( perhaps once when he was wide of the...
  33. True Blue

Official Round 9 - Bulldogs vs Dragons Game Day Thread

I feel that one of the big points from today's game was the performance of Mahoney. In recent games he has tried to take on the role of play maker and in many cases stopped the ball from getting into the hands of Burton/Reynolds or even Olalaupu........this has stilted our attck. Today he...
  34. True Blue

Sam Walker?

No thanks.......look at what happened when we took the last halfback reject from the rorters.........
  35. True Blue

Sharks Next Week

Another one of "the cabal"........watch the penalty count and the "allowed" forward passes from Brailey in particular.....
  36. True Blue

Sharks Next Week

Yes I think that we are needing to rely a lot on kicks for our scoring chances, particularly without the Fox. The big issues with kicks is that the team needs to no what is happening and when and then most importantly, we need to put pressure on the kick with chasers. I got tired of watching...
  37. True Blue

Sharks Next Week

It has to be said........the time is right to make some changes, even if forced by injury. 1. Okunbur must never play wing again.......seemed to go OK off the bench as a backrower but does not make any breaks 2. It is time for Flanagan to go. He just doesn't provide anything.........perhaps it...
  38. True Blue

Positive’s, BURTON MAHONEY HUGHES

You are right there.....as I have mentioned elswhere in TK I feel that Alamoti's defence on the wing did not help either ( I am not blaming him for the points though as he is not a natural winger and just got caught too far in field at times). If playing with only 40% possession, it will be a...
  39. True Blue

Opinion Forward passes galore

Agree with you fully. There are at least 4 or 5 dummy halves that constantly throw forward passes that are "not seen" by the officials. Cook and Jadyn and Blake Brailey are among the worst offenders, but Mahoney was also guilty at the Eels. Obviously referees are under instruction to let the...
  40. True Blue

Rd 6 vs Rabbitohs 3-2-1

I agree that Alamoti tried hard, but in fairness his defence on the wing was very poor. I understand that he is a centre and not a winger, but Souths just ran around him for 3 or 4 try sets.....he got caught too far infield and Souths knew it and took advantage. A good lesson for his further...
  41. True Blue

Reynolds to halfback

Totally agree. Not sure that JR could manage much more than 30 mins and then back for 10 at this stage. It is no coincidence that Burton upped his game only after JR came on and gave him some quality ball and room to move and try things. Admittedly the Cowboy forwards were also a little shot at...
  42. True Blue

Rumour TPJ

It should always have been Taylforth on that tour. Goldie did OK but George would have been better value in my opinion
  43. True Blue

Official Leniu to depart panthers

Yep....my figures were wrong as far as I can see on ZT.......I accept but $3M for a further 8 players is still a bit close to the bone for signing high value players. Of course, we can always let someone contracted go if need be.......and perhaps the cap will increase in 2024......
  44. True Blue

Official Leniu to depart panthers

$3M for 2024 left....but we only have around 15 players signed for 2024 at this stage....$3M won't go very far then.....
  45. True Blue

Concerning’ NRL gulf exposed as Roosters’ roster valued at $4m more than Dolphins

As much as I hate the roosters as well.....let's not forget that Young and Leniu (if true) are both for 2024 and then they will let Toupu go (pays for Young) and JWH goes (will pay for Leniu). It is still questionable about their cap......but many people get mislead by what they think a player...
  46. True Blue

Lack of Grunt

1. A point that many on this post have ignored......The sharks were more dominant at the ruck and tackle.....they slowed our play the ball down every tackle and got away with it. If we had a quicker play the ball then Thommo and the others may well have made greater inroads and put the pressure...
  47. True Blue

News NRL 2022: Josh Jackson retirement leaves Bulldogs with room to move in salary cap

In Klem's case the Knights would have to be paying half his asking price. I am not sure that the Veteran & Developed player payment would count as he has been at two different clubs in that time. Notwithstanding this he has developed his game in the last couple of years......runs good strong...
  48. True Blue

Official Bulldogs player given 5 weeks suspension (Corey Waddell)

Yep.....I know and disagree with the prosecutor............the prosecutor sounds like a whinging lawyer just wanting to notch up another win. I have no issue with the guilty call as his hands should not be there, but it is still questionable that he actually "gouged".......I believe that they...
  49. True Blue

Official Bulldogs player given 5 weeks suspension (Corey Waddell)

Remorse should not and as I understand it does NOT come into the sentencing of a player. The sentence should simply be on the basis of the act committed on the field and not on the attitude after the game has finished. Even the Chairman should know that.......denial of natural justice (forget...
  50. True Blue

Burton tells Freddy he’s in & team reaction

Was very pleasing to see that the FOX was first or second there to congratulate him and give him a big hug......even if potentially disappointed in not getting a run himself. Just shows the team is building a true spirit of camaraderie and the Bulldog sprit.
  51. True Blue

Our next 5 rounds

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We need to be able to take a minimum of 6 points out of that 5 round stretch (bye included). Games against Rabbitoh's is definitely winnable( but they might have Lateral back by then). My view is to see how the team can manage against the Sharks (again...
  52. True Blue

Opinion Potter should be our coach!

Agreed. I think that he has simply demolished all of the heavy structures and disciplines put down by BAZ. He is encouraging the players to "relax" a little and play their natural games and to enjoy it. The attack side of things is building gradually (first half today wasn't pretty) but when...
  53. True Blue

TPJ

If you watch him closely, you will see that he gets gassed quite early.....I am not sure that he is fully fit at the moment. He certainly does plenty of work to get gassed, but when physically stressed he is inclined to make those silly decisions and mistakes. A good player and forward leader...
  54. True Blue

2022 State of Origin Game 2 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Not arguing with you on the first three, but in fairness Tupou had a very strong game in Origin 1. He is probably better in the air than JAC and certainly makes ground with his kick returns. Jac sometimes gets "bossed" around a little, but there is no one better than him if put into space. He...
  55. True Blue

2022 State of Origin Game 2 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Klem has been playing very strong this year and is now showing a strong offload ability. It doesn't matter about what you think of his exit from the club, the facts remain that he is a better bet than a lot of the names bandied around and certainly a better option than Maclean or Radley...
  56. True Blue

Our exit strategy.......tackles 1,2,& 3.......

I am not saying anything negative about the Fox......but it is not really the most effective use of his talent. One of these days he will cop a bad injury in that mess if he gets no protection at the ruck. If anything, he is too keen to help out and show the way....
  57. True Blue

Just what the likes of T'oo and may and Cobbo and even Toupou do for their sides....we just do not seem to have the right cattle for the job obviously. Give me 2 Matt Utai's for this team and I am sure much would change. I am not sure that the opposition defensive lines are policed closely...
  58. True Blue

A large percentage of our play revolves around exiting our own 20 metre zone, either from a kick or even a set play. I know that many teams use their wings and fullback/centres to take up the first one or two tackles (particularly for a kick return) to allow the forwards to get back or even a...
  59. True Blue

Kyle Flanagan

How the bloody hell does a professional footballer "run out of gas" particularly if playing at fullback.......I know that it can and does happen, but in this team it can only mean that the side is not being trained and conditioned appropriately.......whoever coaches in 2023, they need a great...
  60. True Blue

Kiraz

Whoever we put on the wing......they always come in on defence leaving the gap on the outside.....Okunbor, Crichton and others.....there appears to be no discipline or trust on their inside man.....coaches should be able to fix that........but first off we need coaches that can coach.....
  61. True Blue

News ‘Drums had been beating’: Awkward ‘unnerving’ pub moment Barrett learned of Bulldogs fate

And at least two of them want to see this club removed from the NRL.........they cannot stand us.
  62. True Blue

Is it time to privatise?

Smart move ?????...Any potential buyer (and I would be surprised to find one) would be offering the lowest price when we are at the bottom of the cycle. Never sell when you are at your lowest........first law of management. Time to end this thread........useless.
  63. True Blue

naden out, who else should leave the kennel?

Yes and I think that 6 of them are still on contract for next year......so there we go again.....paying players to play for an opposition club. We are just coming out of that shit era of paying players at other clubs and you want to start all over again!!! I accept the need to start cleaning out...
  64. True Blue

Ennis

I agree with you......I think that we need to get Ennis involved with the club.........he knows his football and he knows how this club operates. Whether or not he would be open to an assistant role is the big question. On his own as a head coach he is unfortunately just another untried gamble...
  65. True Blue

no more rookie coaches.

I also agree with "Burgler" in another post today......I think that we need to get Ennis involved with the club.........he knows his football and he knows how this club operates. Whether or not he would be open to an assistant role is the big question. On his own as a head coach he is...
  66. True Blue

no more rookie coaches.

Kristian Wolf has performed well in the Super League (and living in France as I do, I see a lot more of their games that a lot of others on TK). Super league is definitely not the NRL, but it is not too far away at the top end. We are looking for a good half and even FB and who knows what he...
  67. True Blue

Some Perspective

Clearly we need a coach for the remainder of this season......but let's not just pick someone who is just going to plod along and stick their finger in the dyke (so to speak) in order to stop the bleeding. We need someone who has a strong discipline and willingness to start to develop the skills...
  68. True Blue

Round 11 changes

Close to the mark.....but I do think it is generous to retain TPG based on tonight's game......I thought that Vaughan was our best forward tonight......but even he did not create much in the way of opportunities. There is not really a lot on offer in the reggies, but still we should consider the...
  69. True Blue

Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Angus Crichton

Why the hell is Flanagan not taking the kicks......at least that way he might earn some of his contract money.......
  70. True Blue

I really think that apart from his defence, JJ's time has come.....we need another backrower who can actually break the line. The idea of Peachey looks good, but I am more than a little concerned about his consistency........
  71. True Blue

Interesting as the NRL has said that clubs cannot reduce a players salary below their market value.....that would mean they might be able to shave off 50-100K max in my opinion. Not that the Rorters have to play by the rules though......
  72. True Blue

Opinion Players who need to go and be replaced

And yet our kick returns averaged just over 100 metres......sorry we need better than that...Okunbor is the pits at running the ball back and on many occasions JAc is running from dummy half or one off....not good enough.......Let' s end the resurrection of Okunbur right now....NOT On......
  73. True Blue

Opinion Matt Dufty

And should we not apportion a good % of blame on our first line letting the opposition get thru to him..........seriously ....think about it....have you ever played fullback at this level.........
  74. True Blue

Ben Cummins and the bunker

And so you blame the coach for all of the dropped balls, forward passes and stupid penalties.....It is time to start to apportion a lot of the blame on the players ..........
  75. True Blue

Lets play a game....

And tie up 50% of your salary cap in 4 or 5 players.........not sure that this is what we need........we have to live with what we have (be it it good or bad) before you start concentrating the $'s on a select few......
  76. True Blue

Lets play a game....

Sorry......but when you are carrying the rest of the pack, you are allowed an occasional brain fart.....no one else is putting in a great deal of effort.....even Elliot probably outperformed our forwards.......but then he had a motive. We have too much one out running from the forwards and it is...
  77. True Blue

The Coach to Build a Dynasty

Not sure about building a dynasty, but plenty on TK have been pushing for more expansive, free flowing, eyes up footy. For this reason I am surprised that no one has really mentioned the 3Wlker brothers" in coaching discussion. True they are untried at NRL level, but sometimes you need to take a...
  78. True Blue

Possession needs to be treasured

Just expressing my views on what is turning into a very ordinary season.......no coaching job for me.....I couldn't take the shit that comes from the Kennel to be honest.
  79. True Blue

As I have said, our faster more agile players should be doing more roaming looking for those offloads. The more I watch this team, the more I believe that Burton would be better suited to the centres where he blitzed it for the panthers. He gets a bit more room there to use his good footwork...
  80. True Blue

Don't disagree with you in any way. The big issue however, is to play expansive free flowing football, the team needs to be fit and I question whether they are as fit as they need to be. I recognise that it is a long season and that fitness will improve, but there is no excuse for the levels of...
  81. True Blue

Looking through all of the games for the last 4 or 5 rounds (may as well say for the entire season so far), many of the games have again started to blow-out. If you look closely, it is easy to see that in these games the possession flow is always around that 60/40 range. In this day and age if...
  82. True Blue

Forward passes?

To be honest, the worst offenders for forward passes are Brailey, Cook, Korisau and Mahoney...............all good dummy halves....just shows that to be up there with the best, you have to throw at least 10 fwd passes each match. With our record with Ref's and Mahoney at 9 next year, I just...
  83. True Blue

Corey Waddell

Fully agree.........even if he was elevated, you cannot have someone playing an edge riole for 40-45 mins and that is about all that he could give at this stage in my opinion...
  84. True Blue

Corey Waddell

I would still like to see Topine on the field for a couple of games before elevating him. He is not getting a run in reggies so not sure what the issue is.......Hoffman or Stuckey could be worth a look, but both are inexperienced at this level. I can handle Waddell on the bench, as he has put in...
  85. True Blue

Corey Waddell

Get real.....Patolo has shown nothing this year....little energy, little impact. Admittedly he has not played massive minutes, but he still seems to be in awe of the opposition. Topine (worth a try) but has had trouble getting a run in the 2's.......again, I feel that he is still a touch light...
  86. True Blue

We should have won... but

Pretty reasonable summary.......there is signs of good improvement and more yet to come, but I agree completely that we looked gassed quite often from the 60 minute mark.......often there were 3 or 4 forwards still walking back onside after we fielded a 5th tackle kick......even the Fox was on...
  87. True Blue

Can't have dumb players in key positions - simple as that

And he seems to be doing a grand job of "getting us out of our end".......very clear for all to see....in defence he continues to come in of his wing leaving space wide and he is so bloody slow to turn and react.........frankly he doesn't seem to be interested.....
  88. True Blue

Can't have dumb players in key positions - simple as that

Have to agree 100%.............no damage when he runs the ball back........defensive reads are an absolute joke .......and more annoying was the fact that when he was beaten twice by Herbie, he just simply stopped and gave up .....no chase.....sets a terrible standard for the entire team.....at...
  89. True Blue

Opinion Are Melbourne the best cheating cheatsters that ever cheated

You certainly must have been watching a different game from the past perhaps! Sutton kept the inept bunnies in the game with an overload of penalties, but let the bunnies play offside with impunity. Yes Melbourne should have been able to put the bunnies to sleep, but clear favouritism kept them...
  90. True Blue

We need a halfback

And every kick was in the air....sure we scored off one, but where is the variety.....a good clean grubber from time to time.....they just don't seem to know how......
  91. True Blue

Max King

I thought that patolo was a little flat for mine....no doubt he will improve, but if King keeps this up, Patolo may have a few roadblocks in his way to first grade. King was all energy and alert....looked for support and tackled well Ava was also quite strong.....
  92. True Blue

The I’m sorry Jayden Okunbor thread

Im having to agree with you.....not only does he continue to come in off his wing (he did it a lot last year as well), but when he comes in he just stands there and does not commit in any way. He can be good in the air and occasionally (and only occasionally) he can have a decent run out of our...
  93. True Blue

Official Declan Casey

Yep and it made up for a couple of defensive lapses and misreads earlier in the game..........but great to see ponga flat on his arse....
  94. True Blue

Opinion How do you solve a problem like Averillo?

And when he did play in the centres early lasts season his defence was definitely left wanting. He can have good games but he can also have bad ones.....just too inconsistent frankly....
  95. True Blue

Roosters after Haas

In my humble opinion, the existing contract is one between two parties only....1. The Broncs and 2. Haas himself. Even if he is in dispute with his then Manager, Haas has validated that contract by taking the money and fulfilling his obligations to the Broncs. The result of any legal action...
  96. True Blue

Opinion Sack Barrett thread

In fairness, we have a pretty tough draw for the first 6 rounds and while I would like to see us win at least 3 of those, it might still be a tall ask. I think that it is important in those first 6 rounds to assess how the team is moulding and playing as a unit. Our Offensive and defensive...
  97. True Blue

Bill Noonan Passes Away

Such a sad loss.....saw him play many times......Bill was a great hard and solid front-rower with an occasional stint as hooker. He was never the "star of the show" but always very tough and hard, particularly in defence.........................Condolences to his family........Rest in peace Bill.
  98. True Blue

Belmore Sports Ground - 7 News

Agreed......but I am not sure that it would make Canterbury Leagues Club overly happy......
  99. True Blue

News Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett laments 2021 but insists Canterbury are on right track

Wendog......not at the price he seems to be asking......yes good leadership (but where was it last season?)............I think that we have a couple of extra players this year that can add to the leadership team as well......
  100. True Blue

Opinion Averillo playing fullback in 2022

I would be interested to see Dufty given a chance to trial at halfback frankly. Probably in trials for reserves of Mounties. He has good speed, although I am not sure about his hands and passing game, but his defence can be hidden a little more at halfback and he can roam and back up the...