Search results

1. G

Sutton Appointed again to bulldogs vs Rabbitohs game.

Bryson Goodwin kicked the winning goal in 2015.
  2. G

Most definitely. I am a fan of 2 referees at NRL level. It is very difficult to watch players creeping inside the ten, and markers not square at the same time. Touch judges are expected to do more, but are often unable to determine whether a player has gone out close to the tryline.
  3. G

Can‘t remember that incident, but I can say that if the referee determines there was a foul play after the ball is kicked, then a three point field goal is in play. A penalty is given 10 metres out directly in front.
  4. G

I knew a few reffing colleagues in my era who had a major falling out with particular teams, over decisions. I was in that boat too. The secretary of the referees as much as possible tried to keep that team and that ref apart. This is what needs to happen with Sutton. You don’t need to be...
  5. G

He was 45 in October. I gave up reffing Junior League at 38 and 8 months.
  6. G

Prior to Cameron Smith, the master of forward passes from dummy half was Kerrod Walters. The little short passes from there to a forward running close to the play the ball is very hard to pick. You have to watch the direction of the hands and not the ball.
  7. G

My feelings on Sutton are well known. Im sure everyone remembers the night Alex McKinnon was seriously injured in a tackle that ended his career. My over riding memory of that night was that while Alex was being treated, Cam Smith was in Sutton’s ear saying it wasn’t that bad over and over...
  8. G

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Discussion thread | Round 4 | Good Friday vs Souths

LT playing left centre taking on Kiraz and Wilson does scare me. i hope LT stays at fullback where he constantly gets caught out of position, when South’s don’t have the ball.
  9. G

Remember the game at Belmore against the Sharks when he smiled as he put Josh Reynolds on report. Picture was on the back page of the Telegraph.
  10. G

It was as predictable as the sunrise.
  11. G

I feel the same way. Waste of time watching.
  12. G

I made a prediction earlier in this thread that Sutton was likely This week.Hardly surpassing how it panned out.
  13. G

Official Congratulations NRL 360

Agrend. Great knowledge of not only AFL, but also Cricket and Horse Racing. Brenton Speed is also pretty good. I‘ve heard him call NRL, AFL, Soccer andT20. Seems to have good knowledge of players.
  14. G

I’ve just looked at the complete schedule for this round. Based on past knowledge, it is rare for a referee to do the same team 2 weeks in a row. The theory being having the same ref two weeks in a row gives that team a huge advantage with understanding his interpretations. I don't necessarily...
  15. G

Official Congratulations NRL 360

I’ve returned to watching 360 after giving it a rest last year. My biggest beef is the way they talk across the top of each other, when someone else is talking. Big mainstream journalists with egos to match and voices that just have to be heard. Braith is not the right person to be the host of...
  16. G

Are Players being Coached to Milk the Obstruction Rule ..

No doubt, there are many players in the same League as “The Milkman”.
  17. G

News NRL drops referee

I’d be surprised if Sutton isn’t given the game on Good Friday.
  18. G

Opinion You can't win games by defence alone?

As I’ve said in another thread, I think our biggest problem is completiton rates. This gifts our opponents much more than 50% of the ball, which of course puts pressure on our defence. I think our defence has improved this year.
  19. G

News NRL drops referee

Good post mate. While I would like to think there is no referee corruption, while ever one or more teams consistently are on the wrong end of decisions which lead to apologies, negative thoughts will always occupy the minds of fans. If the rule makers keep speeding the game up, more officials...
  20. G

News NRL drops referee

I would never ignore any of your posts because in a BIG MAJORITY of times they are based on common sense and you obviously have good footy knowledge. Having been a junior league and junior rep referee albeit a long time ago, I know how difficult a job the gig is. This experience gives me an...
  21. G

News NRL drops referee

God post Alan, Every game has 50/50 calls, for things like:- 1. Was the ball lost in the tackle or stripped? 2. The ball goes dead. Was it by the attacking side, or did the defender knock it out at the last minute. Or did an attacking player push the defender into a Position where he touches...
  22. G

News NRL drops referee

There were undoubtedly some poor calls on the night. But I’m going to focus on 2 things that need fixing. 1. Higher completion rate. Very important at any time but even more so in early season games which can often be in warmer conditions. We can’t compete with well under 50% of possession. Too...
  23. G

News NRL drops referee

I got a laugh out of that. It could pan out that way. We all talk about the 2015 game, but one that was nearly as bad was the one by Cummins. He called out JJ for the compulsory too many penalties chat, forgot completely that JJ was in the centres after Mbye went off injured. Didn’t give him...
  24. G

News NRL drops referee

Chris, I have a feeling that this game will be a Sutton special.
  25. G

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 3 | Bulldogs Vs Titans | Gameday discussion

Over the years teams who have complained through the correct channel about refereeing decisions, don’t get ripped off the next week. As someone said in an earlier post, Todd Payten made the comment in an after game Presser that teams at the pointy end of the table for a few years seem to get...
  26. G

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 3 | Bulldogs Vs Titans | Gameday discussion

If it‘s a Sutton that won’t happen.
  27. G

Totally ripped off

I wouldn’t hold my breath.
  28. G

Totally ripped off

I’ve also just watched Annesle’s weekly briefing and as indicated in previous posts he confirmed a try to Kiks should have been awarded. The key to this is when a player comes into contact with a referee it is not a mutual infringement that the refefee ruled. Annesley also said that if tries...
  29. G

The NRL hits Las Vegas, where results on and off the field could be explosive

Remember when Harbajan called Andrew Syminds a monkey in the scg test. Meeting was called with the match referee and allegedly the Indian team threatened to abandon the tour if action was taken. A s per usual the powerful sub continental block got their way, CA caved in and it was swept under...
  30. G

When you look at the recent incident in the Afl where the St.Kilda player got 7 weeks fir a brutal hit and Spencer gets 8, it just doesn't compute in my eyes. What Spencer did was wrong for sure but what is the penalty going to be for a Grade 3 Reckless or intentional tackle from this point on?
  31. G

Official NSW CUP Jersey Flegg Ron Massey Scores ,Squads and Team News 2024

Size and experience wise he should be able to handle first grade. When we signed him last year I was warned by a mate who follows South’s that he makes a lot of handling errors, which we saw in the trials as well.
  32. G

Official NSW CUP Jersey Flegg Ron Massey Scores ,Squads and Team News 2024

When an NRL coach says a player is not ready for First Grade, generally it is because of defence not being up to the required level. Watching the replay of yesterday’s NSW Cup game, I would say that there are numerous players in that boat. Particularly at this time of the year in hot...
  33. G

Yes, You can watch both. Seasons of the two sports overlap a little bit, but essentially the majority of the NRL is played in NFL off season.
  34. G

Watched Matty Johns show last night. Quoted a comment from Politis, that because the Roosters won the game, they should be going next year. Is there any wonder that the Roosters are my most hated team? Matty believes that Penrith and Melbourne should be two of the teams that go next year. He...
  35. G

News Teams Tips Vs Parramatta Updated

I agree we are the Black Sheep. But you just can't sit on your hands and do nothing when things go against you. You've got to discuss things privately with th refs boss and the individual himself.
  36. G

If you google NRL referee allocations round 1 2024 you will see Klien and Gee aren’t on field this week. Klien and Gee have games in the bunker.
  37. G

As someone who refereed junior league for 23 years and junior reps for 5, I know how difficult a job refereeing is and thus I should not be critical. This was over 30 years ago, but the game has changed and is faster now. But my experience tells me there is something wrong in the working...
  38. G

Atkins. Klien and Gee will be spelled until next week after doing the Vegas games.
  39. G

Just googled the ref allocations. We have Atkins. NO SUTTON. YEAH. He’s doing Storm. Panthers.
  40. G

Yeah good point. I wouldnt be surprised if there are clubs who don’t want to go. What will be interesting to see will be how those 4 teams go in round 2. They have 2 weeks to recover from jet lag, which is usually enough.
  41. G

I don’t really care if the Bulldogs get a Vegas start or not. Certainly wouldn’t be giving up a home game like we seem to have at Magic Round every year, except 2024. Who goes next year? Penrith and Melbourne are the previous 2 Premiership winning teams. Parramatta always seem to be in...
  42. G

New kennel member

Welcome.
  43. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Ok, thanks.
  44. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

While it is good that we won the 1st test, there are obviously some big cracks in the batting order that need to be plugged. Labuschagne and Head at the moment are not performing at the required level. Will they come good? One hopes so, but I’m not so sure. Head will always be someone who can...
  45. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

That’s the interpretation umpires are encouraged to follow in Sydney Grade Cricket. I know several former First Graders who have spoken about this. If the ball hits you on the full and in front of the stumps, the umpire is to assume it is going straight. Doesnt quite work for one of “Hollywood”...
  46. G

2024 Round 0 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

I agree it is a stupid rule. But the main reason teams have been using blockers is THEY KNOW that markers never get penalised for not being square when a FG is obviously coming. Particularly in Golden Point when whistles obviously are in the pocket.
  47. G

Will Teddy pass the ball?
  48. G

Correct. Just another Gerard Sutton decision that favours Souths.
  49. G

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Bearing in mind that the two referees in Vegas probably won’t ref next week, I think the chances are we get either Sutton or Atkins for this game. And despite the fact that Atkins‘ father played for Parramatta, I would prefer him any day of the week.
  50. G

Official Gus on Twitter

I’d like to see someone knock Moses into the middle of next week.
  51. G

News Eels v Bulldogs: Sivo suspended; Star recruits ready to go

We haven’t played at home in round 1 since 2017. Possibly a big factor in why we haven’t won a season opener in that time frame.
  52. G

Official Gus on Twitter

Is it the same cement truck that Bozo Fulton suggested years ago while on the sideline at Shark Park, should run over Bill Harrigan?
  53. G

Your Round 1 Team?

My team, 1. Taaffe 2. Kiraz 3. Critta 4. Xerri. Would prefer he has a couple of games in 2nds, but no better Option at this point. 5. Fox 6. Burton 7. Sexton. Prefer a right foot kicker as alternative to Burton, otherwise Mahoney will have to do a lot of kicking from dummy half on the right...
  54. G

Your Round 1 Team?

Agree, the skills set of a winger and fullback are not identical, but they are similar. The Big difference is in defence.
  55. G

New rule

You‘re correct. Once the kicker runs past his players who were in front of him, they are onside. They also become onside if they are outside the 10 metres and the player in attempting to catch the ball loses control of it and it hits the ground. However in this era, coaches ensure the kicker...
  56. G

What do we think of the big Luch

Lazy. Dragons are welcome to him.
  57. G

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Trial No. 2 - Bulldogs vs Sharks - Friday 8pm BSG

As I have said many times on this forum, I have never been a fan of playing wingers out of position in the centres. Defensively there are different requirements. Centres in the main have to deal with decoy runners and block plays. Wingers defend in a channel less than 10 metres from the...
  58. G

Your Round 1 Team?

Obviously some difficult decisions need to be made. Here is what I would do, but I might re think it after the Sharks trial. 1. Taaffe 2. Kiraz 3. Critta 4. Tracey 5.Fox 6. Burton 7. Sexton 8. King 9.Mahoney 10. Hughes 11. Kiks 12. Preston 13. Curran 14. Mann 15. Salmon 16. Poasa 17. Knight...
  59. G

Old school Bulldogs and their schools

I finished School in 1971. Bankstown Boys High. In my year were 2 players who played lots of lower grades. Ken Israel and Ron (Corky) Harmer. In the year behind was former Newtown Prop Steve Bowden one of the protagonists in the 1981 semi final fight with Mark Broadhurst. We all knew at school...
  60. G

Your favourite Bulldogs GF win & why?

1995. We played average all year with the Super League drama hovering throughout. Scraped into the 8. Knocked off Saints (my most hated team at that point), Broncos,Canberra and then raging hot favourites Manly in the GF. We lost to all of them in the regular season, but we were the best team...
  61. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Yeah I agree that Kallis is a top 5 all rounder of all time. Number 1 for me is Sir Garfield Sobers. Could bat, bowl medium pace, orthodox spin, chinaman spin, field anywhere close to the wicket. Hard to beat. I’ve also got Imran Khan, Kapil Dev and maybe Ian Botham in there as well. Maybe Wasim...
  62. G

News The Mole: Bulldogs facing 'huge decision' over 'rusty' recruit Bronson Xerri

If you make Ramien do a lot of defence, he will invariably give away penalties.
  63. G

Opinion Pre Season Training

D Voice aka “The Voice of reason”.
  64. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Anyone who has done any cricket coaching would agree with you. Front foot defence is all about positioning your front foot close to the line of the ball.
  65. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Great bowling by Joseph. But some pretty ordinary front foot defensive techniques in our side have been exposed. It was a loss that has been coming for a while.
  66. G

NRL Vegas promo

I agree with you re the competency of the NRL, but don’t leave inept organisations like Centrelink and the National Education Standards Authority (they run the HSC) out of the discussion.
  67. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

Because I worked at a University for 25 years, I know the marks required to get a Pass are sometimes less than 50. When I go to a new medical professional, I check their credentials online and then look at their name plaques outside the surgery. When I see they have HONS, I know I am in good...
  68. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

Yes that’s correct. I know three other people who have had both eyes done and like me their operations were 14 days apart. There is a patch over the eye that the surgeon removes the next day, and then all the testing starts.
  69. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

He might be right. Depends on whether he is short or far sighted. I am short sighted so just need reading glasses.
  70. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

Depends on how much your health fund pays. Teachers Health fund were pretty good.The total net cost covering both eyes was just over $2,000. This included follow up visits to the surgeon, 1 day, 1 week and one month after each operation, where I was tested on 2 X-ray machines, and then with the...
  71. G

Jeral Skelton

My recollections are that when Xerri went to left centre, jmoz went to the left wing, and then jmoz went to the chooks after that.
  72. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

I was basically confined to home for a few weeks while my wife put drops in my eyes four times per day. I was not allowed to swim in our pool and golf was a no no in case sand from a bunker shot went into my eyes. I wore sunnies when I returned to golf on Boxing Day. I don't need glasses to...
  73. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

Nothing to worry about Kaz. The anethisist did a great job and I never felt any pain during or after. Sure I was worried before the first one, but I needn't have. It was a piece of cake.
  74. G

The "R U OK ?" Thread

I had 2 cataract surgeries in the last 2 months. Quite painless. 20 minute procedures. Improvement in vision is staggering. Don't hesitate to get it done if an ophthalmologist advises you to do the op.
  75. G

News Cameron Ciraldo Q&A How New Recruits Will Feature In His Quest To Make The Bulldogs A Powerhouse Again

Yeah I agree. I was just trying to put a a positive slant on things.
  76. G

News Cameron Ciraldo Q&A How New Recruits Will Feature In His Quest To Make The Bulldogs A Powerhouse Again

One of the major reasons we fatigued was too many penalties and six agains. I have heard players say that if you play well the 50/50’s tend to go your way. It will be interesting to see if that theory applies to us this season.
  77. G

I was yelling kick behind too, it probably wouldn’t have worked. Slater was playing very shallow behind the line and was super quick. Bellamy knew there would be few penalties in the game. Took the punt and got away with it.
  78. G

The big wuss that was TREX Came in 2013.
  79. G

Certainly didn’t have a plan B in the Grand Final. Bellamy parked Dane Nielsen in-our backline, right in the channel where Barba and JMOZ (our biggest threats) were going to attack. Nielsen was so far offside most of the time he could have shaken hands with JMOZ. I was screaming at Tony Archer...
  80. G

Can we keep threads “on topic” please, as per the new rules. And this request applies to every thread and every poster.
  81. G

new nrl rule change for this season

I’ve said it many times on this forum that the ARL Commison is way out of balance when it comes to footy smarts. Not sure if Wayne Pearce is still on there but if he is, he is the only one who has ever been involved in the game at club level. The rest are business people. Independent and well...
  82. G

Opinion Captain Super Flop (Powder Puff) RFM [RANT]

All true. However there is a fair chance we will need him in the middle at some stage. Probably soon rather than later.
  83. G

What are you going to spend your $200 million on?

Buy as much property as I can and live off the rent.
  84. G

Bulldogs on Fox League during the Off-Season

Thanks. Just set my foxtel to record it. I was overseas in Europe at the time.
  85. G

Welcome to the new moderators 2024

No I will work as a team with everyon.
  86. G

I guess I better go through the list of members I have set to ignore and unignore them.
  87. G

Thanks for the welcome. I‘ll give you my best effort at all times. Regards Glenn
  88. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Most of the kids I coached were in teams from under 10 to under 12. I drummed the basics into them. Forward and back defence to then expand into the drive. Cut and pull shots etc. Modern coaching would do my head in too with them wanting to learn reverse sweeps and tonking over cow corner. I...
  89. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Correct mate. The team will get found out eventually. I think when our main bowlers are gone we have enough strength to replace them adequately it not quite equally. It’s the batting that concerns me. These days. Lot of potential test players don’t have the right technique. A perfect example...
  90. G

BULLDOGS PLAYER TRADE

Or Detective Goran from Criminal Intent.
  91. G

BULLDOGS PLAYER TRADE

As Geoff Toovey would say, “There needs to be an investigation“.
  92. G

Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Digressing slightly. One of the main reasons Saints won 11 competitions in a row from 1956 to 1966, was that they never weakened a strength to strengthen a weakness. They built from the bottom upwards and had good succession plans so that when a player was going to retire a ready made...
  93. G

Opinion Why Canterbury believes its utility player strategy can help get the club back on track

The other thing with the concussion rule, is we will probably need a utility as 18th man. We have options, but it can’t be the same guy week after week as his match fitness will suffer.