Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flamini is the world class signing wenger has been talking about :grinning:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Arsene's £70m Madrid swoop: Race against time to land Benzema, Di Maria and Ozil

Arsenal want to blow their entire £70million transfer budget on Real Madrid trio Karim Benzema, Mesut Ozil and Angel Di Maria as they bid to rescue a botched transfer window.

Arsenal – whose need for reinforcements became desperate yesterday when they were handed a very tough Champions League draw – have opened talks with Real chiefs over the triple swoop and received encouragement.

Despite all three players insisting they want to stay at the Bernabeu, Real will listen to offers for the trio as they look to balance the books after committing £86million to signing Gareth Bale from Tottenham.

Securing a deal for long-term target Benzema is Wenger’s priority, such is his desire to capture a world-class centre forward.

The Gunners are working frantically on a deal that could see all three arrive at the Emirates by the transfer deadline on Monday.

Arsenal confirmed the re-signing of midfielder Mathieu Flamini on a free transfer and have also been offered former Chelsea forward Salomon Kalou.

However, there are fears within the corridors of power at the Emirates that they will not be able to land any of the high- profile targets before Monday’s deadline — a possibility that will anger supporters. A summer that promised so much has produced very little and manager Arsene Wenger is facing a make-or-break four days.

With the deadline fast approaching there is concern that Arsenal will run out of time to complete the Real deals, particularly with the Madrid club highly reluctant to sell before Gareth Bale’s move is ratified.

Wenger also remains interested in Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye and Valencia keeper Vicente Guaita.

His need to sign at least one forward heightened yesterday after Germany’s Lukas Podolski was ruled out for up to 10 weeks with a hamstring injury. Lukas Podolski was carried off in Tuesday’s 2-0 Champions League win over Fenerbahce with a hamstring strain.

The club’s medical team initially thought the former Cologne frontman would miss around five weeks. But Wenger has confirmed the injury is worse than first feared, with Podolski now set to miss more than two months.

There was better news on the injury front for Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere, who have both been passed fit for Sunday’s clash against bitter rivals Spurs.

Ramsey (groin) and Wilshere (ankle) were doubts for the North London derby, but have now been passed fit.

Likewise, Flamini is also in contention to make his second Arsenal debut against Andre Villas-Boas’s side this weekend after completing his move.

Flamini, who has been training with Arsenal since his release by AC Milan, and his representative Darren Dein held talks at the club’s London Colney HQ on Monday to finalise a contract.

The French midfielder has signed a three-year deal worth around £40,000 a week.

Flamini’s versatility was key in Wenger’s decision to bring him back to the Emirates after he left on a free transfer in 2008. He can play anywhere across the midfield and also be used as a back-up full back.

Meanwhile, Real vice-president Fernando Fernandez Tapias has accused Tottenham of ‘dragging their feet’ over the Bale deal amid the embarrassing possibility that they will have to dismantle the stage they erected at the start of the week if Bale (right) does not sign in the next 48 hours.

Real have a match on Sunday and the stage currently blocks the view of the pitch from the directors’ box.

Speaking ahead of the club’s friendly in Coruna, Tapias said: ‘He (Bale) is not here, because there are problems there (in London).

‘We thought Bale was going to be with us by now but for the moment he is still not in Madrid.’

Madrid wanted Bale to play a part in Sunday’s lucrative lunchtime kick-off against Athletic Bilbao but Tottenham’s insistence on making Real Madrid wait until their transfer business has been completed now endangers that possibility and the player may have to be presented on Monday or even after the international break.

Real Madrid agreed to allow Tottenham to complete their summer business before sealing the Bale deal but did not imagine this would push the conclusion back towards deadline day. If Bale does not make his home debut on Sunday, he will not play in front of Madrid fans for another three weeks.

If he signs at the start of next week he will leave for international duty immediately and will not be able to play his first game until September 14 away to Villarreal.

He would not be able to train with the rest of his team-mates until September 11 and coach Carlo Ancelotti is concerned that having missed an entire pre-season with the club, and only played in one of Tottenham’s summer friendlies, it could be a month before the player is properly integrated into his side.

Madrid have suggested markers have been moved during the course of negotiations and Tapias said of the last-minute glitches: ‘We are going to wait and see what happens. Sometimes it is yes, sometimes it is no. They are dragging their feet.

‘I don’t doubt the value of the player but Real Madrid (already) has a great team.’

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juan Mata's dad was a guest in the directors box for the fernerbache game..would rather Mata over di maria tbh

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No idea what is going to happen...
The Spuds will wait until the last hours to ratify the deal so that they can derail the transfers Arsenal are looking to complete.

Real Madrid won't complete deals with Arsenal until Bale is theirs. Hence the Spuds are playing a very smart game. Extremely smart game of transfer sabotage.

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why Mourinho doesn't rate Mata is beyond me... Damn class player...

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
The Spuds will wait until the last hours to ratify the deal so that they can derail the transfers Arsenal are looking to complete.

Real Madrid won't complete deals with Arsenal until Bale is theirs. Hence the Spuds are playing a very smart game. Extremely smart game of transfer sabotage.
I can see the logic here. Although it’s a risky game by Spurs with 86million on the line to flirt with Real just to hurt us.

At the end of the day surely Real can argee with a clause if Spurs fail to deliver Bale, we don’t get their boys

In any case, I just hope the players come because they want to come. Not because they were strong armed by Real cause they overpaid for Bale.

I’d rather focus on players like Cabaye, Mata etc if that is the case

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

AND they're fining Bale every day he's missing training. Today's (Or yesterday? Whatever time it is in London) day three.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with that, Abdul, but Arsenal will know that and I'm sure discussions are ongoing and have made plans for that.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Just don't understand how he could have managed to fk the window up so bad. Spurs have a gun team.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just don't understand how he could have managed to fk the window up so bad. Spurs have a gun team.
They kept quiet about the funds they had available and just went out and did business.

Gazidis on the other hand showed his inexperience by announcing to the world we had a war chest, hence clubs wanted to extract every pound from us and we weren't willing to pay.

Seriously, Gazidis and Wenger both need to go.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a little boy my mother would take me to toy shops. Every year I would get all excited at the prospect of buying new toys, bringing them home and playing with them, since i no longer found the toys that I owned fun anyone and all the kids in the neighbourhood would have the newest and coolest toys.

After deciding what toys I wanted to buy my mother would say "Second Spitter, shop's closing we have to go home now." I was stuck with toys I had for over 5 years, and one's that were given to me for free. They were not the best toys.

Years later i discovered that my father wouldn't let my mother spend any money.

(not a true story).

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Daily Mail...

Spurs keep Real waiting on Bale in bid to derail Arsenal's last-gasp transfer hopes

By Pete Jenson and Ian Stafford

PUBLISHED: 22:54 GMT, 31 August 2013 | UPDATED: 22:57 GMT, 31 August 2013

Tottenham have forced Real Madrid to wait until Monday's deadline day to get their hands on Gareth Bale because they wanted to make it as hard as possible for other Premier League clubs, not least close rivals Arsenal, to bolster their squads before the window slams shut at 11pm.

The revelation will ratchet up the intensity in the first north London derby of the season, at the Emirates this afternoon, but Spurs chairman Daniel Levy’s delaying tactics will probably only stall rather than prevent Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger from doing business.

Arsenal have £70 million to spend, and with Manchester United, Liverpool and other clubs still wanting to do big deals before the window closes, a new record of summer spending is guaranteed in the Premier League.
By last night, the 20 clubs had spent in total £482m in this window. The record summer was in 2008, when they spent £500m. This summer is likely to be closer to £600m.

Tottenham have spent the most, £106.4m, ahead of Manchester City (£86.9m) and Chelsea (£57.7m) so far. Arsenal have spent nothing - yet.

Levy did not want Madrid to complete Bale’s signing sooner because they would then have pushed out players such as Mesut Ozil and Angel Di Maria - both Arsenal targets. If the Bale deal had been done last week, it is conceivable both might have lined up today for the Gunners against Tottenham.

Wenger also has his eye on Real’s Karim Benzema as well as the Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler. He insists that Arsenal will strengthen in this window, saying last week: ‘We’ll be doing something about that by Tuesday.’

All smiles: But Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti must trim his squad if he is to accomodate Bale

He then repeated a point that he has made so many times before - that he is only interested in adding players to his squad who are better than the players he already has.

‘Tell someone to go out and find me a better player than Wilshere or Cazorla or Rosicky and when they return they will not have done. In all this transfer market talk people forget just how good the players they have are.’

Wenger rejected any notion that Arsenal need a technical director or director of football who works on player recruitment.

‘Why? Because he would buy the players,’ he said. ‘If they go well the director’s bought well. If they don’t it’s down to the manager. That’s why the final decision has to be down to the manager.’

Bale is now expected to be presented as a Madrid player tomorrow at 9pm local time to about 50,000 supporters.

Madrid will look to sell two players before then, with Arsenal interested in Ozil and Di Maria and Manchester United also looking at the German midfielder. The club agreed to wait for Tottenham to carry out most of their transfer business but have become exasperated at Levy’s delays.

‘One minute it is yes, one minute it is no. They have dragged their feet,’ said Real Madrid vice-president Fernando Fernández Tapias. Yesterday they had to dismantle the stage they had set up to present Bale - they play today and it was blocking the directors’ view of the pitch.*

Yesterday Madrid were insisting that they will pay no more than £78m for the Welshman in a one-off payment. The other option was €100m (£86m) payable in three instalments, but they say Levy has opted to take the money up front. Bale will sign his six-year, €9m-a-season deal today - with a €1m bonus if he wins the Ballon d’Or.*

Bale’s arrival takes Madrid’s squad to 27 players. They are only allowed 25 and both Kaka and Fabio Coentrao are among the candidates to go.

Share or comment on this article

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Levy you dastardly prick. Even as a gunners fan I applaud your work. As I suspected he was delaying the move to sabotage other clubs, particularly ours.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Levy you dastardly prick. Even as a gunners fan I applaud your work. As I suspected he was delaying the move to sabotage other clubs, particularly ours.
Bale to Real Madrid is basically done and i highly doubt after spuds spending 120m+ (i think) would not cash in on Bale. So i don't really get why Madrid would be holding off other transfers.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Quite honestly this sets Spurs up for a Very Very humiliating loss tonight

Last edited by a moderator: