Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well it seems that we will lose one of the two (most like Fabregas) this season and then the other next season. I think ALL Arsenal supporters would want to keep Fabregas rather than Nasri but it looks like it will be the other way around.
It will be a hard pill to swallow. We've see Fabregas go from strength to strength his entire career under a Gunners jersey and now to almost certainly see him head-off to wear another knowing how important he is to the squad itself.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be a blessing for us though because it will cause Wenger to rethink his philosophy. We may have to move away from our 'pretty' football a little and become a little more aggressive.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It could be a blessing for us though because it will cause Wenger to rethink his philosophy. We may have to move away from our 'pretty' football a little and become a little more aggressive.
If it means we forgo a team philosophy built around developing the best up-and-coming talent which has not worked swimmingly then I guess i'm for it. I success is something that everyone wants to be apart of. If it means loosing Nasri who seems happy to have his contract run out before he moves on and Fabregas who is simply more hungry for a new team then it must be done. No point in having a hang-around not willing to give 100% starting in most of your games.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The philosophy isn't all wrong but it needs a few tweaks. 'Pretty' football will work but we need to be able to dig in and get into the push and shove when required. Currently we don't have the player to do that. It only takes one player to lead the rest and that's why I like the fact were linked with Lucas Biglia. Tough tackler with good passing and vision. Hopefully it works out and we do buy that kind of player before the season.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The philosophy isn't all wrong but it needs a few tweaks. 'Pretty' football will work but we need to be able to dig in and get into the push and shove when required. Currently we don't have the player to do that. It only takes one player to lead the rest and that's why I like the fact were linked with Lucas Biglia. Tough tackler with good passing and vision. Hopefully it works out and we do buy that kind of player before the season.
I agree and I reckon we have that in players such as Koscienly who does provide solid tackling and good marking when he's on but anyone of quality in a defensive role is welcome here.

I watched this video of Biglia (no surprises that he plays for Argentina...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WX55g1D1eQ

Does he play a Defensive-Midfield role or a Wing-back role or neither. He seems to osculate in positions in the game.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He plays DM from what ive seen/heard, not sure how versatile he is if he can play as a wing-back too though. Plays well with his back four and doesn't make pointless runs upfield unless he is going to shoot.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He plays DM from what ive seen/heard, not sure how versatile he is if he can play as a wing-back too though. Plays well with his back four and doesn't make pointless runs upfield unless he is going to shoot.
I like the fact he has a strong and respected position on the field, he somewhat demands possession and has one trait I always look for in a player, awareness and lots of it. Shame he plays for Anderlecht... Belgium soccer is a waste of space.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belgium will be a force internationally in years to come and that will flow into their domestic comp.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arsenal In For French Youngster
According to several reports coming out of France, Arsenal are closing in on Caen's 16 year old prospect and striker, M'Baye Niang. Niang, impressed in his few opportunities for Caen last season, scoring 3 goals in 7 appearances. According to Stephen Tudor of Sabotage Times, Niang is a player who has excellent composure and physique, with good pace, capable of drifting in from wide positions.

Niang is considered one of France's brightest prospects, reportedly valued at around 8 million euros and Tottenham and Liverpool are said to be also interested in his signature. He seems to have all the capabilities and attributes to succeed in the Premier League.

--------------------------

Arsenal Interested In Signing Biglia
According to the Metro, Arsenal are interested in signing Argentina international and Anderlecht midfielder, Lucas Biglia. The report states the Gunners have sent scouts to keep an eye on him and that Biglia is willing to listen to offers for his services. Arsenal are reportedly willing to offer 6 million pounds for his services and that Liverpool and Tottenham, are also interested in his services.

--------------------------

James Shea Completes Loan Move To Dagenham and Redbridge
In other official news, 20 year old goalkeeper James Shea, has joined on a season-loan to League 2 outfit, Dagenham and Redbridge. Shea, replaces club legend Tony Roberts, who is now Arsenal's full time reserve coach.

Benny77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Forums/news sites going crazy with news Arsenal have agreed on a fee for Juan Mata!

Benny77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF, and IF its true and he joins the club, Mata wide left, Gervinho wide right, RvP in the center, and then a midfield three of Nasri, Wilshere, and either Ramsey or Song.

I can live with that!

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF, and IF its true and he joins the club, Mata wide left, Gervinho wide right, RvP in the center, and then a midfield three of Nasri, Wilshere, and either Ramsey or Song.

I can live with that!
We'd have a very versatile team if that were to happen. Nasri can play as winger aswell, Mata can play as an attacking midfielder, Gervinho can also play up the middle and RVP can play as a left winger. With Walcott and Arshavin to also come into that team I'd be satisfied with our attacking lineup.

Now a defensive midfielder and a CB and we should be sweet.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We won't sign a DM, in my opinion. Frimpong will get game time this season.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We won't sign a DM, in my opinion. Frimpong will get game time this season.
We're supposedly going after Lucas Biglia and were linked with Arturo Vidal (would've loved him) earlier on, so maybe Wenger thinks we need to strengthen our depth in that area aswell. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we don't end up buying a DM though.

Benny77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Wenger will sign Jagielka, that would be a nice boost of experience to the backs, and go after Samba while your at it AW, he WANTS to play for the club!

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Wenger will sign Jagielka, that would be a nice boost of experience to the backs, and go after Samba while your at it AW, he WANTS to play for the club!
Don't think that's entirely true. At least if it is he hasn't publicly expressed it. The 'quotes' of him coming out and saying he wanted to come to us were quickly denied by him, but that's not to say he doesn't want to come.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Belgium will be a force internationally in years to come and that will flow into their domestic comp.
Lukaku, Hazard upfront are okay, Kompany and Thomas Vermaelen at the back, and Witsel in the centre of the park but apart from that the team has no depth... the squad is severely drained in a solid line-up of talent. I guess it shows in their lack-luster Qualifying campaigns. Teams punching above their weight that seem to be easy picking for Belgium end up beating them or drawing with the more often than not.

Arsenal In For French Youngster
According to several reports coming out of France, Arsenal are closing in on Caen's 16 year old prospect and striker, M'Baye Niang. Niang, impressed in his few opportunities for Caen last season, scoring 3 goals in 7 appearances. According to Stephen Tudor of Sabotage Times, Niang is a player who has excellent composure and physique, with good pace, capable of drifting in from wide positions.

Niang is considered one of France's brightest prospects, reportedly valued at around 8 million euros and Tottenham and Liverpool are said to be also interested in his signature. He seems to have all the capabilities and attributes to succeed in the Premier League.

Arsenal Interested In Signing Biglia
According to the Metro, Arsenal are interested in signing Argentina international and Anderlecht midfielder, Lucas Biglia. The report states the Gunners have sent scouts to keep an eye on him and that Biglia is willing to listen to offers for his services. Arsenal are reportedly willing to offer 6 million pounds for his services and that Liverpool and Tottenham, are also interested in his services.
Wow, 16 and he is already being valued at 8 million. The raps this guy must be getting ought to be worth the price. I do hope we sign someone as capable in defence as Cahill or Biglia soon. There's no point in hoping that someone in the regular team doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury. It happens quite frequently unfortunately when someone dons the Gunners jersey.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it true what it is being said about Mata??? Is he in Gunners colours yet or just early speculation???

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it true what it is being said about Mata??? Is he in Gunners colours yet or just early speculation???
Reports suggest we've agreed on a fee but no quotes anywhere to confirm or deny that.