Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score

F*ck he's a wanker, how he's still on the FIFA refereeing list I will never know

Ricky Stuart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why sell Smalling or even loan him? I don't believe he has done anything wrong that warrants being shown the door

Either Subotic or Sokratis are viable options in January, BVB refuse to sell Hummels and they recently signed Ginter so that's 3 quality centrebacks and 1 young centreback so 3 doesn't got into 2 (4 at the back system).. either Subotic or Sokratis would have to be unhappy with limited playing time?

Abdennour at Monaco would also be a good buy, 25 and has experience but recently penned a 4 year deal with Monaco although we do have a working relationship with them since the Falcao deal

de Jong will be hard to get, AC Milan already refused our approach for him in the transfer window that has now closed and are looking to extend his contract

Strootman would depend on his knee, he hasn't recovered from that ACL injury and is still yet to play a single minute this season.. we're reluctant to splash the cash on players when it comes to serious injury, we have a clause in Falcao's contract that allows us to terminate it should he suffer another knee injury this season (basically, if Falcao suffers a knee injury this season then he's packing his bags because we're sending him straight back to Monaco)
Smalling switch's off a lot during games, his just not consistent enough, he has amazing games like against Bayern last season in the away leg but has some pretty shit games.

Sokratis would cost about 25 million as he just arrived at Dortmund 1 season ago however we could get Subotic for about 15-20 million and he has also played in a champions league final.

Subotic Save against Bayern - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nBf48xdloo

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Manchester United players demand to know 'why the f***' Louis van Gaal replaced Angel di Maria with Juan Mata against Leicester Angel di Maria was replaced with Manchester United level at 3-3

- Juan Mata came off the bench but United went on to lose 5-3 to Leicester
- A United player said afterwards: 'Why the f*** did we substitute Di Maria?'
(Wayne Rooney perhaps?)
- The Argentine had earlier scored a brilliant goal to make it 2-0
- United spent £156million in the summer but only £16m on a centre back
- The Old Trafford side have looked vulnerable in defence this season

By Neil Ashton for the Daily Mail and Simon Jones for the Daily Mail

Published: 07:34 AEST, 23 September 2014 | Updated: 10:01 AEST, 23 September 2014

625shares

View
comments

Manchester United stars slammed the substitution of Angel di Maria during a fiery dressing-room inquest after their shocking 5-3 defeat at Leicester.

Di Maria, who had scored an early contender for Barclays Premier League goal of the season to put United 2-0 up, was substituted when the score was 3-3.

During scenes described by one source at the King Power Stadium as ‘very heated’, a United player was heard to say: ‘Why the f*** did we substitute Di Maria?’

The Argentina forward was United’s obvious match winner after his stunning performance against QPR the previous week. But under-fire manager Louis van Gaal, who has won just one game since he took over, withdrew the £60million signing from Real Madrid in the 76th minute.

Leicester were clearly lifted when Di Maria was replaced by Juan Mata and scored twice to seal a remarkable victory.

Van Gaal openly condemned his team in the dressing room following their humiliating defeat and Rafael was also criticised by a number of players for his part in the implosion. The Brazilian defender gave away a 62nd-minute penalty that allowed Leicester to claw their way back into the game.

United left the stadium in such a hurry that they suffered abuse from Leicester fans when their team bus was stuck in traffic near the stadium.

United will not rush to sign a new centre back in January despite their alarming defensive frailties at Leicester.

The shocking manner of their collapse underlined a lack of leadership and organisation and prompted the furious reaction from Van Gaal. Their problems were compounded by an ankle injury to Jonny Evans, their most experienced defender.

United spent £156million in the summer but only £16m on a centre back, Marcos Rojo, who now plays predominantly at left back. The recruitment plan has been branded ‘mismanagement’ by Sportsmail’s Jamie Carragher while former United defender Gary Neville said that the side now have a soft centre that all Premier League sides will attack.

Though United recognise there is an issue, the central defenders who are available are not deemed of good enough quality.

Van Gaal spoke openly about the need to address the departures of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra if only more for their experience than performances. Yet the club had been told that Borussia Dortmund captain Mats Hummels was not for sale, Manchester City had already captured Porto’s Eliaquim Mangala and Arsenal would only deal on Thomas Vermaelen if Chris Smalling was sent the other way.

Dortmund’s stance on Hummels is unlikely to change until the summer while United have reservations about the likes of Ron Vlaar at Aston Villa and Fabian Schar at Basle.

Van Gaal was clear from early August that his priority should be a left-sided centre back with an ability to bring the ball out of defence. He was alarmed that United’s defenders seemed incapable of starting attacks from defence with any real assurance.

Rojo, who played for Argentina in the World Cup final, is highly regarded by Van Gaal and will get his chance at centre back against West Ham on Saturday with Evans out, Phil Jones injured and Tyler Blackett suspended.

Van Gaal said: ‘I think that Luke Shaw shall be fit enough to play. Marcos Rojo can play and Chris Smalling can play, so we can manage. But it’s a thin choice.’

Van Gaal will meet with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward this week, as he does most weeks, and discuss his squad’s progress. He says the whole team is responsible for results such as Sunday’s defeat and not just the defence.

Van Gaal has also indicated that Wayne Rooney’s future lies in midfield. Explaining his selection for Leicester in which Radamel Falcao started and Mata dropped to the bench, he said: ‘I was not so satisfied with Rooney as a striker and Mata as midfielder. That is why I changed. Rooney can play in more positions, he’s a multi-functional player.’

Rooney, talking to Sky, said: ‘I don’t think anyone can put a finger on my best position, but I am adaptable. I can go into midfield, drop out wide or play up front. It depends on where the manager wants me to play.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-Gaal-took-Angel-di-Maria.html#ixzz3E7EnusS6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Story by the DailyMail?

According to one of their sources?

Sounds like a load of crap to sell their papers

I'll believe it if SkySports run a story on it, they're the only reliable source of news in England, the rest are rubbish

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Story by the DailyMail?

According to one of their sources?

Sounds like a load of crap to sell their papers

I'll believe it if SkySports run a story on it, they're the only reliable source of news in England, the rest are rubbish
The 2nd last paragraph isn't inspiring to Mata though.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
This is the problem with no Europe football to many players buying for playing time
we dnt have 2 many world class players missing out when we are at full strength... if we were in Europe this yr and missing Di Maria we would be ****ed...so the depth is not great!
hopefully we get 2 europe 1st...im willing to forget about last weekend as a 1 off and the ref farkn us severely...bring on the Hammers

Ricky Stuart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
****, Smalling copped a injury during training apparently, We will probably see Blind drop down to CB.

Shaw-Blind-Rojo-Rafael Is my guess for this weeks game

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Starting XI vs. West Ham
De Gea, Rafael, McNair, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, van Persie, Falcao

Substitutes
Lindegaard, Thorpe, Fletcher, Pereira, Valencia, Mata, Januzaj

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
So we have 19 year old Paddy McNair making his Manchester United debut after being promoting from the youth team by Louis van Gaal with Tom Thorpe on the bench as cover ready to make his debut if needed

It's a new look defence.. McNair on debut, Rojo's first game at centreback and Shaw's debut

West Ham have been in some good form, hopefully our defence holds up and we can keep a clean sheet

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
West Ham Starting XI
Adrian, Reid, Cresswell, Tomkins, Downing, Sakho, Demel, Amalfitano, Poyet, Song, Valencia

Substitutes
Jaaskelainen, Nolan, Zarate, Vaz Te, Jenkinson, Collins, Cole

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Shout out to Everton, who robbed Liverpool of a win late in the game (game ended 1-1)

If you haven't seen the equaliser from Jagielka then you need to go see it, what a f*cking hit!

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
ROONEY! What a way to mark your 10 year anniversary at the club, brilliant finish

Early goal, great for our confidence and Rafael grabs the assist