Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
won 3-1 over chicago fire. down 1-0 ht should have been 2-0 they had an easy tap in missed, rang in the changes and ran over the top of them in the last 25 mins.de gea didn't have alot to do, prob could have gone out for the cross for the 1st goal but jones should have headed it clear anyway.

welbeck was very good, nice turns and passes, jones and smalling looked a bit sluggish, 1st game after u-21 but should improve with more games

overall good workout

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
I watched man united here in 99 I think they didn't get 80k I can assure you... I did meet Teddy Sheringham Though

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched man united here in 99 I think they didn't get 80k I can assure you... I did meet Teddy Sheringham Though
12 years ago

Football has come to the attention of the Australian public - really in the last 7 years. Trust me - they will get 80 k

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does anyone think we will sign a Central Midfielder?

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you always know this summer would be a busy one?

Yeah, we knew that. Edwin made it known that last season would be his last so we had planned for a new goalkeeper well in advance. With the others [new arrivals Phil Jones and Ashley Young], the opportunities came along and we were comfortable with that. So we’ve made three signings. We're looking at one more player to bring in. Nothing’s happening – nothing imminent – on that at the moment, but we’ll see what happens when we get home. There’ll still be 31 days of the transfer window to see if anything develops. But I’m not working on anything at the moment, in that respect.

If you do end up signing somebody could it go right up to the deadline?

Possibly. We’ve been looking at a particular position and two or three players in that position, but nothing’s imminent at the moment. The important point to understand, and Alex has made it clear, is that we need someone who’s going to improve the quality of the squad. We’ve got a great squad and to get into that squad you need to be a world-class player. There’s no point, if you can’t get the players you want, in buying someone for the sake of buying someone. But you never know – there’s often movement in August. I’m not sitting here saying I’m working on anything specific because I’m not, but that situation could change quickly when we get back to Carrington.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rafas angled shot was a beauty as well. Very little move to finish and he slotted it pretty well.

Beat the MLS comfortably, with Berbatov and Rooney playing well.

In other news: Inter director has stated that every player does have a price. If we can get a sponsor to cover some of his 200,000 pound weekly wage, he will be in United colours. They are looking for 35 mil, but United might get that down if they can convince them he has no resell value, now aged 27.

We should get him! *fingers crossed*

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rafas angled shot was a beauty as well. Very little move to finish and he slotted it pretty well.

Beat the MLS comfortably, with Berbatov and Rooney playing well.

In other news: Inter director has stated that every player does have a price. If we can get a sponsor to cover some of his 200,000 pound weekly wage, he will be in United colours. They are looking for 35 mil, but United might get that down if they can convince them he has no resell value, now aged 27.

We should get him! *fingers crossed*
As expected... the early goal was an accidental slip-up by the defenders not marking the nobody who scored. It happens. I was pretty impressed by Rafael's goal through the goal keeps legs. When your at that angle, the instinct always has you passing into the centre but he slotted it perfectly.

If rumours are to be true about Snieder and Manchester United still obviously looking for a new Scholes, there would be definite discussions with the player himself soon enough. I doubt that Alex Ferguson is going to just let this one go by but expect the price to be a high one. I heard 30 Million as an expected asking price.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL

Dont get two excited. We played OK - Nani is looking better and better with more experience though. He had a breakout year last year. I hope we keep him

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson has furiously dismissed quotes attributed to him over the weekend in which he suggested United were close to signing the Dutch playmaker, and that a contract offer was on the table.

“If he wants to come, he must accept our contract offer. If not we have other options in mind. We are done talking,” Ferguson is reported as saying in the Mail on Sunday. But regarding the need for a central midfielder, the Scot added: “It's an area we have to find a solution for.”

One of the questions over Sneijder, should he make the €40 million switch from Inter to Old Trafford, is how he would fit in to Ferguson's favoured four-man midfield having performed at his best as an attacking midfielder behind the strikers.

During the Dublin Super Cup this weekend, the 27-year-old showed United fans exactly what they wanted to see, with his performances suggesting he would be able to slot in and dictate games for Ferguson's side.

Sneijder played the second 45 minutes against Celtic on Saturday before featuring from the start against Manchester City, lasting 74 minutes on the 0-3 defeat at the Aviva Stadium.

In Gian Piero Gasperini's 3-4-3 system, Sneijder was employed in both matches in a deep 'regista' role, dictating play with clever passing from the centre circle and controlling possession for his side. It is the same function that Luka Modric, another United target, performs for Tottenham.

Against Celtic, Sneijder's opportunity to shine was hampered by the fact the Italian side were reduced to 10 men following the first-half dismissal of Thiago Motta. Nevertheless, the former Ajax and Real Madrid man demonstrated his considerable quality on the ball as Inter were still able to dominate possession.

He is such an intelligent footballer: he can receive the ball in any position on the pitch and make use of it, taking responsibility and not panicking. In the two friendlies here, he was always looking to receive the ball from defenders and equally determined to join attacks and show his renowned ability in the final third.

What was also noticeable is that Sneijder will work hard; he will harry and hassle opposition midfielders, even in a friendly; taking a kick from David Silva after one brave challenge. This may go against the image of a player who is best known for his outstanding ability in creating chances, scoring goals and delivering set-pieces.

It is almost like he is getting practice in the role so he is ready to fill Paul Scholes' boots and make an immediate impact in English football. Sneijder tweeted on Sunday morning that he would be playing against his good friend Nigel de Jong for the first time, but he will be hoping that they can lock horns again this season: in the Manchester derby.

While Sneijder's performances may have come across as efficient and understated rather that sensational, he showed why he is exactly what United need. In an undercooked Inter team playing against opponents more advanced in their pre-season preparations he was able to create opportunities with trademark through balls, particularly to Gianpaolo Pazzini in the 2-0 win over Celtic.

When he was closed down, Sneijder would play a short and quick pass to a team-mate; when afforded time he would try to ping a longer pass to a striker on the move. In the final third, he fizzed in some excellent corners (remember Sir Alex thinks Charlie Adam's are worth £10m alone), and showed his striking ability with powerful efforts from around the edge of the penalty area.

Manchester City are believed to have made an enquiry for Sneijder but have been told that the player has his heart set on a switch to rivals United, the highest profile club in England.

The major obstacle is, of course, over Sneijder's £200,000-a-week wage demands, with United reluctant to pay more than £170,000-a-week. Either Sneijder will have to lower his demands, or the shortfall will have to be made up another way: by Nike, image rights, commercial deals or signing-on fees.

It is too difficult to predict whether United will eventually be successful in their pursuit of a player that has been at the front of Ferguson's thoughts for the last two years. What is certain, however, is that Sneijder can offer exactly what is missing at Old Trafford.
------------------------

still rather modric.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we have agreed a fee with Sneijder and accepted a bid and/or sold Berbatov to PSG

apparently.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we have agreed a fee with Sneijder and accepted a bid and/or sold Berbatov to PSG

apparently.
Heard this too. Great news for you guys if that's the case and congrats on title number 20...