Breast Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have to do self-exams, as well as trot off to the doc from time to time, and i have mammograms every two years. it's hereditary in my family (from my mum's side too...even better). my greatgrandmother died from it, my grandmother is dying from it, so the chances are pretty real for me.
steffy, my grandmother found a lump and left it go for 2 years...man it sucks, because maybe she'd be alive to see great grandchildren

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey StiffySteph - sorry to hear that you're going thru this - fingers and toes crossed for you.

I had a scare about 3 years ago - had to go to hospital to get pre-cancerous cells removed from my cervix, which is why, I urge ALL you girls to go for your pap smears. I have a friend who says she doesn't want to go coz she's embarassed!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sure it's not a pleasant thing, but if I had her mentality, I would pretty much been guaranteed cancer of the cervix later down the track....

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mrs m, good to hear you brought this one up. i cannot stress enough how important regular pap smears are.
it's only caused by one thing...HPV (human papilloma virus). once exposed to this virus (only through unprotected sex), you may or may not develop cervical cancer, but the threat is very real.
yes, it may not be the nicest thing in the world, but as far as preventative measures go, you won't get any better.
ok, so i'm being a nurse here and promoting good health practices, but so what lol.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no leesee, what you are saying it great . lol..
there should be more awarness of things like this. i actually discussed it with my friends and a few of them where either like whats that and/or ew i would never get a "****** scrape" ( EXACTLY how they put it). :(
but they dont know how important it is.....4 out of 5 women who suffer from cervical cancer never had a pap test.
just for all you chickas who dont know they should be taken every two years from around 18 years of age....or a year after first sexual contact if that comes first.

mrs M tell your frend to not be embarassed.just find a doctor she is comfortable with possibly a female one.....but i bet you have already told her to stop being a tool bag. LOL :p

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ffs go to ur nearest family planning, and have a sexual health nurse do it. my mum is a sexual health nurse so that means she's permanently preaching about sexual health. but, no problems there really. women should go and do it. i mean, women will go to their obstetrician no worries, they will go through childbirth, and practically every member in the OB/GYN team will at some stage have a poke and a prod down there lol.
embarrassing or not, it can save your life.

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I can't understand women who won't go for one. We go for brazilians, bikini waxes etc, so why not pap smears?

I want my younger sister to get the shots that protect against cervical cancer - and if u gals here are ages between 9-26 and haven't had s*x - well they say it will work best for you....

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep ur head up high soldier remember what i told u on msn! keep that smile on ur dial hun! wishin u all the best all the time

mareeta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I work in oncology. My advice to you would be to be as positive as you can (and I know its hard) until you get your results. Watch you diet and eat more fruit and veges.

If it comes back positive and I hope it doesn't. You have obviously caught it early therefore a 90% + chance of full recovery.

REMEMBER CANCER ISN'T ALWAYS A DEATH SENTENCE IT'S ALSO A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE.

If you need anyone to talk to just PM me.

stiffystephy

Not Guilty, Not Innocent!
Reaction score
well it is very scary when you look at it and think about though...

they also said that breast cancer can also be related passing through the genes from your family... noone like your mother or grandmother or great grandmothe were diagnosed with breast cancer?
my great grandmother died of cancer when i was 5
so it is in my family

fo'sure

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
just want send my best wishes.
all the best with everything

stiffystephy

Reaction score
I work in oncology. My advice to you would be to be as positive as you can (and I know its hard) until you get your results. Watch you diet and eat more fruit and veges.

If it comes back positive and I hope it doesn't. You have obviously caught it early therefore a 90% + chance of full recovery.

REMEMBER CANCER ISN'T ALWAYS A DEATH SENTENCE IT'S ALSO A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE.

If you need anyone to talk to just PM me.
thanks heaps mareeta and everyone else (leese, mrs m, kurry, jay c, eedz, slats, all of yas!)

I have come to realise how common it is for people my age to have scares! Its completely suprising to me and its also suprising, even after hearing about stats, how many people have actually been affected by cancer, this is already a huge eye-opening experience!!

Today when i wen tto get a dressing change the nurse i had asked me what happened and i told her, she said the exact same happened to her when she was 19 and it ended up being benign. She is now early 30's from what i understood and when i said i put it off for like 8months befroe going to the doctor because of fear she said 'yeah i know what you mean, i work in a hospital and i still dont wanna get a check up, but ive found something again and i know i need to go, this right now makes me wanna go' i was shocked that a nurse has a lump and doesnt even wanna go get it checked! And completely saddened! But if me being open and telling people about this can make one person check themselves or one person go to the doctors then im happy!

On the pap smear task thats the next obstacle i am GOING TO overcome in the next few weeks! Gotta get ontop of these things, your health is precious people!

DoggyGirl

>Sylvana
Reaction score
Good luck Steph.

I had a scare when i was about 15. They had just showed us how to do a self examination at school so i went home and did it in the shower. I found a lump and passed out from the fear. I was home alone and only woke up coz the water went really cold. I called my mum to tell her, she was about an hour's drive away and came home within 20min. Went to the doctor, he sent me to do an ultrasound. At the ultrasound i had some stupid newby and she freaked the hell out of me! After everything, it ended up being a cyst which i've never had removed that still scares me to this day! 9 years later so i have my examination every month at the doctors when i can

stiffystephy

Reaction score
wow that would have been scarey!! glad to hear all turned out ok and that u still get ya checks!!

i had an ultrasound and a mamogram done when i first found it then 2 needle biopsies, both coming back inconclusive so they made me a priority 1 to get it out, one part of the ultrasounds makes them think its benign (due to the clover like shape) and one part worries them (the fact that blood vessels are right by it). Either way i will get thru it, the doctors and nurses thru it all have been amazing! besides the fact i got an infection from the op but thats always possible.

MzBulldog83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey steph, hang in there girl

good luck with everything + hope it all works out hun

xo

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
Ok i know this may be a lil to serious of a discussion for this forum but just interested in knowing if any of you have had cancer scares or stories you wish to share!

The reason i bring this up is because im going through a breast cancer scare atm, i had 2 needle biopsies which came back inconclusive, then last week i had an op to remove the lump so they could thoroughly examine it! I get my results back in 2 weeks exactly and im sooo worried! I know im only young but its still scarey! Now to add to it my wound is infected from the op and i have **** coming out of it and need to go to the hospital everyday to have it checked and i have to take anitbiotics, the joys, but its the possible cancer im worried about.

So have any of the chicks who are here had scares or know of anyone who has?
just remember we all love you xoxoxoxoxo

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Wishing you all the best Stephy.. I hope its not anything serious and remember that you have the support of all the Kennel throughout this time.

Justanothergirl

Je Suis Sexy
Reaction score
Ok i know this may be a lil to serious of a discussion for this forum but just interested in knowing if any of you have had cancer scares or stories you wish to share!

The reason i bring this up is because im going through a breast cancer scare atm, i had 2 needle biopsies which came back inconclusive, then last week i had an op to remove the lump so they could thoroughly examine it! I get my results back in 2 weeks exactly and im sooo worried! I know im only young but its still scarey! Now to add to it my wound is infected from the op and i have **** coming out of it and need to go to the hospital everyday to have it checked and i have to take anitbiotics, the joys, but its the possible cancer im worried about.

So have any of the chicks who are here had scares or know of anyone who has?
Hey Steph,

Yes I've been through what you've gone through. I had several biopsies and a monitoring period to see if there was any change. I got an inconclusive and then finally got a clear result. The waiting was the worst part, I had a bit of a meltdown as I had kept it all quiet, before finally telling my family & friends. You soon realise how many other women have had scares so it's important to have people to talk to. It is hard to stay positive, but make sure you surround yourself with people who can support you and keep you positive. Easier said than done I know. These scares really do test your ability to roll with the punches. Other than family, there are lots of people and forums online where you can chat with people who are in the same boat or have been in the your position before. If you need to chat just for a bit of a cheer up, or just for a talk, then hit me up on msn.

All the best Steph. Keep ya head up girl :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.