News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more it’s pissing me off, so many positive things happening around the club at the moment and positive feedback from fans and the media in general then this shit pops up, the timing is highly suspicious.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Maggot is the word that comes to mind to describe Topine, used to be a fan but he’s shown his true colours…. He’ll just end up another washed up never was telling everyone about what he could have been watching life pass bye through the bottom of a schooner glass

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This generation is soft as. As an asian kid growing up here in the 70's and 80's I faced a lot of racism but I learnt quickly to stand up and defend myself when it was needed. It toughens you up mentally and physically and the bullies and rednecks soon learn not to mess around.
Hell NRL has been uploading SOO extended highlights from the 1980s to current. Think they're up to 2008 at the moment and you can literally watch the game get softer as time goes by.

The first SOO game in 2008 had 3 penalties each by the 70 minute mark and you can literally feel the collisions between the players through the screen, gave me goosebumps just watching it. Half the tackles there would be penalised into oblivion nowadays.

If you go further back, it only gets more brutal. In terms of athleticism though i do think the early 2000s were a highlight. Don't think any current team could hold a candle to '04 Dogs, 06 Broncos, 07 Melbourne and etc.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Imagine sulking over getting paid to train, keep fit and work hard with your mates in a team environment. An environment which the coach in Ciraldo has plied his trade as an understudy at one of the best systems in the NRL. With a GM of football who has a wealth of experience in areas of playing, coaching, management and media.

Imagine having a great community around you in Belmore, Canterbury and Bankstown. Where there are great people and great options for food, coffee, drinks, etc.

Whoever has been in his ear advising him is clueless, he also has to take responsibility for taking the terrible advice on board. Which ties back into captain super flop RFM. You can guarantee if any young player came to Josh Jackson about training too hard while missing finals for 7 years straight he'd tell them to keep their head down and work hard.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘Deprivation of liberty’: Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court after being forced to wrestle ‘30 to 35’ teammates

Jackson Topine in action for the Bulldogs in July last year. Picture: Getty Images
View attachment 107359
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have been accused of the “deprivation of liberty” and “unlawful corporal punishment” of one of the club’s most prodigious talents in a landmark $4m lawsuit that alleges the young player was forced to wrestle “30 to 35” teammates as punishment for being late to training.
Lawyers for former Bulldogs rising star Jackson Topine – a one-time schoolboy captain of NSW and Australia – claim the 16-game first-grader was “detained” and subjected to “assault” and “battery” and “humiliation” at the orders of the club’s head trainer, Travis Touma.
They claim that Topine, “one of the youngest players” in the squad, suffered “psychiatric injury”, “physical and mental impairment” and that his contract was illegally terminated.
An investigation by The Australian has laid bare the scandal, which has been described as having the potential to be the biggest crisis for Canterbury since the Coffs Harbour gang rape allegations two decades ago.

GLORY DAYS: Jackson Topine before the incident
The incident has previously been shrouded in mystery, with confirmation only that an unnamed player had gone on sick leave amid reports he had been forced to wrestle 12 teammates for a few minutes, sparking accusations by some retired Bulldogs that the player was “soft”.
A statement of claim lodged in the NSW Supreme Court this week alleges Topine, at the conclusion of a gruelling 90-minute wrestling session on July 18, 2023, was forced to wrestle the entire senior squad, one after the other, for 30 seconds at a time.
Touma, the court claim says, directed the team to conduct the punishment for Topine because he arrived late to a training session.
Topine has not played rugby league since.
Several of Topine’s teammates, who spoke to The Australian on the basis of anonymity to protect their NRL careers, described their alarm at the punishment, with one declaring: “It wasn’t wrestling, it was humiliation.”
The Bulldogs declined to answer detailed questions about the Topine incident but in a statement said the club “will say that there are a number of allegations that we categorically deny”. The Bulldogs did not specify which allegations it was denying.
Topine’s lawyer, Abdul Reslan, from Kings Law, said the player’s lawsuit would have significant ramifications for sport.
“Appropriate protections need to be afforded to all workplaces, including within the contact sports domain,” Mr Reslan said.
The court documents allege that despite Topine’s obvious exhaustion and distress, Touma insisted the team not let up on the then 22-year-old – actions, it’s alleged, that allegedly amounted to an “assault”.
“Each player in the Bulldogs roster, who were the plaintiff’s opponents in wrestling match-ups, possessed high levels of fitness and strength,” the court statement reads.
As he took on each new opponent in the wrestling punishment, Topine “suffered a continued and marked deterioration in his capacity to compete.”
And, the claim states, when his teammates pointed out that Topine was exhausted “the match-ups continued”.
“(Touma) directed (Topine’s) opponents in the wrestling match-ups not to reduce intensity by saying words to the following effect, ‘Don’t let him up if he’s down, jump on him straight away’.
Jackson Topine has played 16 games in first grade.
Jackson Topine has played 16 games in first grade.
“As a result of completing the performance of all wrestling match-ups required under the wrestling direction, (Topine) required assistance in performing limited physical functions, including, standing and walking.”
It’s alleged Touma discouraged other players from helping Topine. “On completion of all wrestling match-ups … (Touma) stated to those present at the training session words to the following effect: “No, don’t congratulate or help him. He deserved that. He was f..king late.”
Topine’s legal team alleges that he was subjected to “unlawful corporal punishment” and that Touma had made an “arbitrary decision” to impose an “unlawful” punishment because Topine was “eight to 10 minutes” late to the scheduled wrestling session, which was held at a gym in Sydney’s southwest.
The Australian’s investigation into the Topine incident has lifted the veil on the inner workings of the NRL club and its hardline approach under the leadership of the Bulldogs football supremo Phil Gould and head coach Cameron Ciraldo.
Last year, the uncompromising direction of the club was allegedly embodied in Ciraldo’s interaction with then Bulldogs club captain Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who approached the head coach with the concerns of 10 players about the harsh workload.
The Australian can reveal that when Faitala-Mariner raised the players’ concerns about the long hours and the subsequent impact on their families, Ciraldo allegedly responded by saying: “If you, or any other player, don’t like it, there’s the f..king door.”
In the weeks after Topine “walked out” of the club, Gould went on the front foot defending Ciraldo and the club’s culture.
“We want to instil those values and instil that training and work ethic and it gets hard for some and it gets too hard for others,” Gould said on his own podcast, Six Tackles with Gus. “The ones that come out the other side are the ones you want to build your club around and it’s as simple as that.”
The Bulldogs also said in their statement to The Australian that it takes “mental health concerns very seriously”.
Topine was signed to the club as a 15-year-old.
Topine was signed to the club as a 15-year-old.
“Our club will not be providing responses to the questions below as requested … but will say that there are a number of allegations that we categorically deny,” a Bulldogs spokeswoman wrote in an email to The Australian.
“Some of the questioning … relates specifically to employees or their contracts and as with all employee matters, these are strictly confidential in nature … We also take player welfare very seriously and place the best interests and welfare of our players and staff as our number one priority.
“As we do take mental health concerns very seriously and given the appropriate sensitivities that should be applied in matters concerning mental health, the club will not be making any comment at this time on any of the individuals at the centre of the allegations.”
Gould has previously played down the punishment inflicted on Topine – without naming him – and said: “I doubt this story goes any further, if we all hold our peace, which we will and we’re doing that because of the sensitivity of the matter and the protection of the player.”
The landmark civil case could also have major ramifications for the NRL and other codes, on how they administer “punishments” to their players for infractions of team policies.
It may raise questions about the treatment of Pacific players and highlight the fact that while almost half the players are from the Pacific, they comprise very few of the coaching staff, administrators and management.
Experts say this gross underrepresentation in management plays out in how Pacific players perform in the NRL.
One player, who witnessed the wrestling punishment of Jackson Topine, said he felt he couldn’t speak out.
In the statement of claim, it is alleged that Topine had no idea why he was being punished – he thought he had arrived 20 minutes early, as he didn’t need strapping prior to the session.
“The plaintiff arrived late to training in circumstances where he made a mistake in relation to reading the training schedule for 18 July 2023 of “Arrive/ strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”, the statement reads.
“On arrival, he greeted numerous players and staff. He was available and prepared for the commencement of the scheduled wrestling training at 8.30am.
“After completing the scheduled wrestling training (which was undertaken by all players in the Bulldogs player roster present over an hour and a half) from approximately 8.30am until 10.00am, the second defendant (Touma) directed the plaintiff (Topine), as a condition of his employment, to engage in individual wrestling match-ups with between 30 to 35 players in the Bulldogs NRL Player Roster (the “wrestling direction”)
Topine claims the “wrestling direction” was not part of the scheduled training session.
The NRL is yet to formally investigate the Topine incident.
Topine was first signed to the club at the age of 15, by the Bulldogs’ then talent scout Noel Cleal, and in 2019 he captained the Australian Schoolboys.
He wasn't good enough to even come close to earning 4 million playing RL.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My point is that we have snippets of what happened and an obviously very slanted statement from a lawyer looking for a buck. Yet everyone here thinks they have it down enough to make judgements. Which as you are alluding to and probably Gus alluded to, there's a mental health issue involved here. Awesome stuff.

And this guy up to 3 years ago was considered, in terms of club men, the second coming of Josh Reynolds. Short memories from a whole collective of muppets. What was it again we were? Family club or something? What a fckng laugh.

As for physicality vs hard work - think Kurtis Morrin says hello.
I can understand that some people here think he's just gone for the cash grab and feel hostile towards him.

But we don't know what's going on in anyone's head. Mental health issues are serious shit and we can fall into holes because we try too hard to tough out issues that need dealing with.

And while this could be an act, I don't know nearly enough to make that assumption. I've known a couple of people who quietly ended their lives to the shock of everyone who knew them. So there's no way to judge from the outside. It'd make me feel like a real piece of shit if in a week Topine tops himself or something and I'd been calling this an act.

I assume his lawyer just sees a juicy target in our club. If he fucks this up for Topine, he'll still get paid fees regardkess. And the lawyer is likely to have more impressionable athletes seek him out given the 4 million they're publicly seeking. Topine is going to struggle to get another shot in future. And they'd want concrete evidence of abuse to

I think it'd have been best for Topine if this had been settled quickly and quietly with him moving on however he felt best when he was healthy again. I'm guessing that others with issues were told they could shop themselves around. We didn't hear much about Davies, Schoupp, Dufty or Allen leaving. They just got on with it and moved on with their careers.

I hope we don't wind up being painted as shit fans on this

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the issue with the Topine situation is that it's more based on feelings than something that is an ongoing genuine health problem. It seems to me Jackson may have found out that to be an NRL player it's not as fun for people who aren't mentally cut out for it.. it needs to be considered that the Dogs had previously not been training to the level of a genuinely competitive NRL team, and it was a rude awakening for a few players when Ciraldo and co arrived..
Wow, think you hit the nail on the head.
Because we've (trainers and just everyday people, management courses, etc etc) been so fixated on improving mentality and positivity creating and sharing, it can be missed that sometimes a person has to be pushed to the hardest darkest zone and keep pushing, past the normal stresses they'd go through in a pre season.
I bet some lovey dovey players that are naturally gifted need a little of that since they've been used to out-competing through the teams and their growth spurt physiques, they may have missed the memo that sometimes it may seem unfair and they still have to toughen up. Shock to the system.

I really feel Topine missed a good opportunity to come out a better player and person. I personally would've relished that opportunity despite it's tough task. Like you said, it was a rude awakening, possibly humiliating to a degree.

He could've come out stronger and now it's clear he's not fit for one of the toughest sports unless he really wants to set himself that task, would be hard for him to get that chance again, he should be able to go overseas though, claiming compensation or whatever he's doing probably sounds worthwhile to a lawyer but sounds ridiculous to me, he should be able to compete in another team if he really wanted to but clearly stopped believing in himself and taking the easy way out to earn a payday.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more it’s pissing me off, so many positive things happening around the club at the moment and positive feedback from fans and the media in general then this shit pops up, the timing is highly suspicious.
Last time we won a comp we were in the media

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was he gonna make more from this case or actually having an NRL career? Soft cock.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What he was asked to do in training is no more than he would be expected to do in an NRL game, mentally or physically. That's what training is for, so when you get into the hard grind of a match you are used to it.

Always a Bulldog
Exactly, it must be fucking hard, soul crushing, no doubt but he was lucky to actually have that opportunity to seriously test and push himself like that and could've come out better, even more respected.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The timing of this leak was designed to damage the Bulldogs brand and on field performance to the max. His lawyers are ambulance chasing scum but they know exactly what they are doing hoping the club will crack under pressure and settle with a big sum. Hopefully the club sticks solid with a "us against the world" attitude.
I’d suggest there’s a reason no settlement has been reached up to now and that’s that the club believes they have a strong position on the matter. They’ve publicly said they deny many of the allegations…

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Having been subject to workplace punishments and 'tough standards', that did actually nothing to improve the general productivity, whilst the companies responsibility to the environment was woeful, will say am dubious of the general sentiment on this thread.

Also to the person talking about being in the trenches, he has no idea about what got people through being in the trenches. Real warfare is totally different to a game, commanding officers were most often archaic rule followers that got people killed, whilst actually the in-subordinates who refused to follow up high ups command where the ones that often actually effected a change. It's a reason why the australian army stopped allowing their men to be subject to foreign commanders. Eg in Vietnam, Australian command ran and planned their own missions to great effect. In Gallipoli the most effective efforts were made by troops isolated from command fighting for each other and smartly, using their wits and intuition.

Also who gives a stuff about how Touma is doing, if he is such a hard ass, he should be fine. Personally think he sounds like a dickhead and would be happy if he left the club. Would rather someone like Tony Grimaldi.

Will leave this article here which could of interest. Whipping a horse does not make them run faster or win.

Interesting

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
100%
This is exactly what we don't need right now. Of course the lawyers waited for the worst moment, to press the hardest, to get the most money out of us to make the distraction go away