News “I held a resentment against Souths for years”: Maitua reveals messy Bunnies call which led to Bulldogs’ contract

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maitua originally came through the Rabbitohs’ youth system before a ‘traumatic experience’ saw him nearly quit football completely.

Former Australian and Samoan representative Reni Maitua has revealed how close he came to quitting rugby league completely after being snubbed by the Rabbitohs' junior system
eventually saw him removed from the squad and told to wait a year before playing representative football.

Speaking on the Unfiltered podcast with Andy Raymond, Maitua revealed it was a "traumatic" experience to be dropped from the squad after being picked, saying he felt he had let his family down, and suggesting it was why he didn't remain with South Sydney when he did break into the NRL.

"Yeah, it was traumatic at the time as a kid. When rugby league is everything, and mum and dad have taken me to every single game growing up - mum is probably one of the craziest supporters - but rugby league was everything," Maitua told Raymond.

"When you are earmarked to be one of the next big things and you get dropped from a side, you feel like you've not only let your family down, but the broader community as well.

"I tried out with the Harold Matthews Shield team. Billy Gretch was the coach and he picked me as the half, a parent complained that I was too young and it went from there.

"It hurt me and I held a resentment against Souths for years after that. It was one of the reasons I didn't sign with Souths when they came back into the competition."

Maitua, who was part of the South Sydney set-up as a junior during some of their darkest years, said he gave footy away after playing through the next pre-season, instead taking up a plumbing apprenticeship before eventually returning to rugby league.

"I did go back and play with Souths though. I gave footy away. I didn't play Matthews or SG Ball. I trained the whole pre-season of SG Ball, and I think before the first trial, I pulled out. I thought 'this isn't for me.' I was too absorbed into the beach life by that point. Rugby league wasn't a priority. I had been playing since I was four, I'd made certain rep teams along the way and dad really pushed me and my siblings hard into sport, and it was a period where I just thought what most teenagers do - they rebel against their parents, society or life and I thought, stuff footy, I don't want to play anymore," he said.

"When I left school, I went into a plumbing apprenticeship. It was something I didn't want to do, but a year into it, I thought plumbing isn't for me so I'll go back and give footy a crack."

The utility would then re-join Souths through their junior system with the club's NRL side still in exile from the competition, and revealed he wound up with three contract offers - the Rabbitohs, Cronulla Sharks and Canterbury Bulldogs.

Despite the Bulldogs providing the lowest offer of the lot, he elected to join Canterbury rather than remain with the Rabbitohs or switching to the Shire.

"Souths at the time were out of the competition, but there was a Flegg side. I played a season for them and we were hopeless, but Braith Anasta sent Mark Hughes out to watch me play. We were playing the Sharks, and I happened to have a pretty good game," Maitua said.

"Chris Anderson offered me a contract to go to the Sharks for a large amount of money, Craig Coleman rang me and said we are back in the competition, I want you in the top 25 with 50 grand for you and I said "Sorry, I signed with the Bulldogs for five grand" and that was the best thing I ever did.

Souths offered me 50, Cronulla offered me 50, but I went to the Bulldogs for a five grand sign-on fee. Best decision I made, not only for my football career, but my development as a person. It was some of the hardest times I've ever had to deal with. I was working a job, I was catching a bus to the city, a train to Belmore, getting flogged at training, getting home at 9:30 and then go to bed and get back up to go to work."

Maitua went on to play 100 games for the Bulldogs between 2004 and 2008.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maitua originally came through the Rabbitohs’ youth system before a ‘traumatic experience’ saw him nearly quit football completely.

Former Australian and Samoan representative Reni Maitua has revealed how close he came to quitting rugby league completely after being snubbed by the Rabbitohs' junior system
eventually saw him removed from the squad and told to wait a year before playing representative football.

Speaking on the Unfiltered podcast with Andy Raymond, Maitua revealed it was a "traumatic" experience to be dropped from the squad after being picked, saying he felt he had let his family down, and suggesting it was why he didn't remain with South Sydney when he did break into the NRL.

"Yeah, it was traumatic at the time as a kid. When rugby league is everything, and mum and dad have taken me to every single game growing up - mum is probably one of the craziest supporters - but rugby league was everything," Maitua told Raymond.

"When you are earmarked to be one of the next big things and you get dropped from a side, you feel like you've not only let your family down, but the broader community as well.

"I tried out with the Harold Matthews Shield team. Billy Gretch was the coach and he picked me as the half, a parent complained that I was too young and it went from there.

"It hurt me and I held a resentment against Souths for years after that. It was one of the reasons I didn't sign with Souths when they came back into the competition."

Maitua, who was part of the South Sydney set-up as a junior during some of their darkest years, said he gave footy away after playing through the next pre-season, instead taking up a plumbing apprenticeship before eventually returning to rugby league.

"I did go back and play with Souths though. I gave footy away. I didn't play Matthews or SG Ball. I trained the whole pre-season of SG Ball, and I think before the first trial, I pulled out. I thought 'this isn't for me.' I was too absorbed into the beach life by that point. Rugby league wasn't a priority. I had been playing since I was four, I'd made certain rep teams along the way and dad really pushed me and my siblings hard into sport, and it was a period where I just thought what most teenagers do - they rebel against their parents, society or life and I thought, stuff footy, I don't want to play anymore," he said.

"When I left school, I went into a plumbing apprenticeship. It was something I didn't want to do, but a year into it, I thought plumbing isn't for me so I'll go back and give footy a crack."

The utility would then re-join Souths through their junior system with the club's NRL side still in exile from the competition, and revealed he wound up with three contract offers - the Rabbitohs, Cronulla Sharks and Canterbury Bulldogs.

Despite the Bulldogs providing the lowest offer of the lot, he elected to join Canterbury rather than remain with the Rabbitohs or switching to the Shire.

"Souths at the time were out of the competition, but there was a Flegg side. I played a season for them and we were hopeless, but Braith Anasta sent Mark Hughes out to watch me play. We were playing the Sharks, and I happened to have a pretty good game," Maitua said.

"Chris Anderson offered me a contract to go to the Sharks for a large amount of money, Craig Coleman rang me and said we are back in the competition, I want you in the top 25 with 50 grand for you and I said "Sorry, I signed with the Bulldogs for five grand" and that was the best thing I ever did.

Souths offered me 50, Cronulla offered me 50, but I went to the Bulldogs for a five grand sign-on fee. Best decision I made, not only for my football career, but my development as a person. It was some of the hardest times I've ever had to deal with. I was working a job, I was catching a bus to the city, a train to Belmore, getting flogged at training, getting home at 9:30 and then go to bed and get back up to go to work."

Maitua went on to play 100 games for the Bulldogs between 2004 and 2008.
He was a talented tough player . . .An avid wrestler too I believe

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sue the c-nts. Must be terrible to have to live with that. Poor form souffs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s not forget Reni had his share of issues.
After being caught drunk in the morning and punted from the Dogs I remember being at a game in 2009 and he was on the bench in a Sharks jersey. Dogs fans were taunting him within earshot saying ‘Reni, I’m on my way to the bar, do you want anything?’ :-).

To his credit he didn’t flinch. Then he got done for drugs - this was through the whole Bra Boy stage and probably some bad influences around him. Then he came back to Belmore for a short second stint. Spoke to him briefly at the recent 20 year event - he’s quietly spoken and doesn’t seem to like much fuss but now he’s a bit older and wiser hopefully he’s doing well.

#OnceABulldogAlwaysABulldog

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Massively underrated player. Was huge for Canterbury in the 2004 season. Got rewarded with a gf win. We'll deserved and will go down forever as a bulldog legend.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reni is a Bulldog for life, he never really played with the same love and passion for the game than he did at the Bulldogs, those boys had a really close bond, probably the closest bond of any team in the NRL modern era, only Penrith would come close but that Bulldogs team was legit family.