News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
More detail needed but seems a fairly weak case:

- ‘Unlawful corporal punishment’ - er, OK - is that what you call being smashed in the NRL?
- $4m damages - no chance, probably firing a shot across the bow to see what the club might quietly settle for (which would be a fraction of $4m).
- Likely trying to embarrass the club somewhat.
- No current player will want to speak unless they are subpoenaed, so Topine’s lawyers will likely approach former players such as RFM.
- Is there any CCTV for evidence?
- The big question that will be tested is how would Topine play 80min of NRL if he believes 30min wrestling is ‘unlawful’ or ‘harsh’? If this is about testing employment contracts well he was employed to play a contact sport. It’s not outside the bounds of the work.

Good luck to the kid but this smells like a bit of an ambulance chase and our improvement ‘24 v ‘23 shows that tough training is exactly how you get there.
I get the feeling the lawyer was making ridiculous demands. I would guess if they'd been reasonable this would be settled long since, quietly. Something tells me that whoever dropped this complaint into the medias hands picked up a little bag of money a moment later. Or cocaine and hookers like someone else who tried a cash grab foolishly.

Going public with the complaint like this might be a good strategy if JT has given up on the sport. If there's no CCTV footage which I doubt. If it's true he wrestled 30-35 players it's probably pretty harsh. But if like first reported he's only wrestled 10 or so, they've gone on public record lying and the club if they wanted to could make a defamation claim.

I think JT might need to find new representation in this. Because if there's one aspect of that claim that can be proven wrong he might've just screwed his client out of a decent payment for a cash grab to sell them this story.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shame on him. Absolutely treacherous. That's on par with SBW antics.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's bullshit about him thinking he wasn't late because he wasn't getting strapped. It says arrive at (x) time then that's when you fucking arrive. Coach or any staff could be addressing players or anything at that time. Big cop out imo

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine being on an NRL contract at your junior club and throwing it all away on a tough love incident at training.

Something I've learned over the years is that being right doesn't always matter. I'd have used my anger towards proving to my coach I'm better than the 30 other ***** in the team.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
More detail needed but seems a fairly weak case:

- ‘Unlawful corporal punishment’ - er, OK - is that what you call being smashed in the NRL?
- $4m damages - no chance, probably firing a shot across the bow to see what the club might quietly settle for (which would be a fraction of $4m).
- Likely trying to embarrass the club somewhat.
- No current player will want to speak unless they are subpoenaed, so Topine’s lawyers will likely approach former players such as RFM.
- Is there any CCTV for evidence?
- The big question that will be tested is how would Topine play 80min of NRL if he believes 30min wrestling is ‘unlawful’ or ‘harsh’? If this is about testing employment contracts well he was employed to play a contact sport. It’s not outside the bounds of the work.

Good luck to the kid but this smells like a bit of an ambulance chase and our improvement ‘24 v ‘23 shows that tough training is exactly how you get there.
He has video proof of him getting smashed, and apparently he was physically hurt.
He also claims he wasn’t late,
only the players that needed strapping needed to come early.
He won’t have any club chasing him now so he’s trying to get 4mill to cover his career lose that he would’ve got.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Whether you like it or not, Touma was wrong with what he did and accountability is going to be a bitch for the Club. 4 Million is a joke, they are hustling and will probably walk away with 500K - 1M max.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he has deep pockets, because paying the Bulldogs legal costs are going to sting when costs are awarded AGAINST him.

Whether you like it or not, Touma was wrong with what he did and accountability is going to be a bitch for the Club. 4 Million is a joke, they are hustling and will probably walk away with 500K - 1M max.
Assuming all that the papers have been told is truthful and not a complete lie / sob story.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the club is able to disprove a few of these claims, whoever sold this statement to the media could also be up for one hell of a defamation lawsuit.

If there's truth to this all Touma sounds like he lost his shit with him and went too far. But if he was that angry you'd think someone would have intervened. Topine seemed pretty popular within the club and I'd like to think his team mates would do the right thing.

When the smoke clears on all of this I almost guarantee that we'll know almost as little about what happened on the day as we already know now. I'd hope that Topine gets a fair payout (not even going to estimate what that number is but 4 million is very ambitious) while I hope his lawyer in this gets fucked over if as I assume he's leaked confidential legal documents.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don’t think it helps Topines cause that a media outlet has all these details of the case that have clearly come from one source either Topine himself or his manager…or RFM